• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is a filmic linear storybased 3rd person action adventure w/ shooting

UrbanRats

People. We haven't seen a single gameplay footage at all or played it for god's sake.

Given developer's track record, they are capable team made excellent games. Give them a shot, for heaven's sake.
TO be fair, no one is signing a non-buying agreement.
I'm sure whenever they're ready to show something meaningful, if it looks good, people will be interested in it.

jgmo870

Banned
Okay? You're the arbiter of what's relevant? Atypical game PR bullshit and a developer I couldn't care less about is relevant to me. Go away, ImperiousGAF.

There's nothing imperious about calling out ignorance. But hey, just another to put on the ignore list.

Guess what, some of us will be enjoying both types of games. Imagine that!

Well that's great, have fun. I just don't care for the type of experience Ready At Dawn seem to be aiming for, and so I'm disappointed after the trailer that grabbed me with its art style.

Another reason trailers sans gameplay are not to be trusted.

Even though I loved the TLoU, I'm kind of getting bored of linear "filmic" games TLoU is great because the actual game mechanics are fun too. If the core mechanic of The Order is just combat arenas and cutscenes, I'm not getting too excited until they show it or they steal Uncharted 2's combat engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it's stupid to show a game this early when you can't talk about anything yet, and i've said as much during the post E3 interviews, which were quite frustrating "what's this game about?" - "we're not ready to talk about that right now".

BUT, if they clearly mention "filmic" as a visual direction, rather than a gameplay one, it's simply misguided to use that buzzword as a descriptor of gameplay.

Buzzwords, for their very nature, are not really indicative at all of a product, behind some generic direction, so i think we shouldn't get so hung up on them, one way or another. (and i know i do it too, often, but i still think it's unwise).

Filmic experience was a description used in the context of it looking more natural and not so much like a game. As far as talking about how it plays, it sounds like it's early, and I'm sure they have a PR schedule as far as when they'll talk about specific parts of the game.
Sure, and there's nothing wrong with arguing that side either.

It's just we want to avoid using "Stupid fools, don't judge it yet, we haven't even seen gameplay!" as opposed to "Well they haven't said anything about the gameplay, and I feel they're only using filmic to refer to the visual style instead of the mechanics, so I wouldn't worry about it being a QTE fest yet."

UrbanRats

^^^ Oh yeah, thats' absolutely fair.

I was only mildly curious about this, and mostly just for the graphics.
Since someone in this thread mentioned Nightmare Creatures though, my potential interest raised quite a bit.

It's a good job their trailer was beast mode visually because their descriptions of the game so far aren't going to light the world on fire. They need to get their gameplay to a place where they can talk about it instead of lenses and black bars. Then that gameplay needs to be interesting.

StuBurns

Banned
People are free to judge a game based on what they show.

They presented a lengthy cutscene and then gave an interview about the basic structure of the game and then called it a filmic experience, and are using that as a selling point.

If they wanted people to talk about the mechanics and intricacies of the gameplay, they easily could have led off with that instead. They chose not to.
'They' is hard to say. Sony choose how to market the game and when to show what. I can't imagine anyone at RaD wanted to debut their game as a cutscene.

I don't even understand why this game was announced. Sony claim to have 20 first party PS4 exclusives in the first year, they've announced at least four of them, and they've already announced this, which presumably isn't one of them.

They must have lots more games much further along, if this game wasn't ready to show, they shouldn't have shown it at all.

Sure, and there's nothing wrong with arguing that side either.

It's just we want to avoid using "Stupid fools, don't judge it yet, we haven't even seen gameplay!" as opposed to "Well they haven't said anything about the gameplay, and I feel they're only using filmic to refer to the visual style instead of the mechanics, so I wouldn't worry about it being a QTE fest yet."
Superb moderation of this topic. Thank you.

GeoramA

"filmic linear storybased" Loved how Nirolak chose those words first over action-adventure.

I'm just glad it's SP-focused, not a L4D clone like some of rumors said.

i just don't like the setting.

what happened to all the fantastical worlds that don't involve our world somehow?

Jak, Beyond good and evil, Spyro, Crash......

i want worlds to explore. not..... something that's based on ours :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"filmic linear storybased" Loved how Nirolak chose those words first over action-adventure.

I'm just glad it's SP-focused, not a L4D clone like some of rumors said.

How would you have preferred it ordered?

The Order: 1886 is a 3rd person action adventure filmic linear storybased w/ shooting?

The title is at the maximum character limit.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
i just don't like the setting.

what happened to all the fantastical worlds that don't involve our world somehow?

Jak, Beyond good and evil, Spyro, Crash......

i want worlds to explore. not..... something that's based on ours :/

there are tones of fantasy worlds out there

why make another one ......

Chamber

love on your sleeve
'They' is hard to say. Sony choose how to market the game and when to show what. I can't imagine anyone at RaD wanted to debut their game as a cutscene.

I don't even understand why this game was announced. Sony claim to have 20 first party PS4 exclusives in the first year, they've announced at least four of them, and they've already announced this, which presumably isn't one of them.

They must have lots more games much further along, if this game wasn't ready to show, they shouldn't have shown it at all.

It's a 2014 game.

UrbanRats

I'm thinking this was the only one that was clearly stunning, from a graphical standpoint (so much so that people thought it was CGi at first).
So they probably wanted to impress on that front.

It's a 2014 game.
And they don't have even a super short demo to show? Something like The Division or even shorter.

velociraptor

Good. Open world games tend to be quite boring.

I would rather have a highly polished linear shooter than a badly made open-world game.

Linear does not automatically mean bad.

Some of the best games ever are indeed linear games.

andycapps

How would you have preferred it ordered?

The Order: 1886 is a 3rd person action adventure filmic linear storybased w/ shooting?

The title is at the maximum character limit.

I'd suggest taking out storybased since (to me) it's implied that a 3rd person linear shooter is storybased. Something like The Order: 1886 3rd person linear action adventure shooter w/ film effects.

Why would they need an answer to AC and how would a small studio be able to make it?

Because it shouldn't only be Assassins Creed that allows us to travel back in time to amazing real world histories.

There's so many cool places we could go in games, and yet we continually go to fictional places.

And what has the team size got to do with it?

Really? They said it's in preproduction.

It's been in development since 2010. It has an engine and assets both of which are used in the trailer. It's not in preproduction.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd suggest taking out storybased since (to me) it's implied that a 3rd person linear shooter is storybased. Something like The Order: 1886 3rd person linear action adventure shooter w/ film effects.

But their first answer does apply to the game as a whole.

"So, exactly what kind of game is The Order: 1886?

The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. It’s very much story-based – it’s a linear story-based game. We’re trying to tell a story. It’s what we call a filmic experience."

The film effects discussion is later. They call it a "filmic experience" as an answer to "what kind of game is it?".

jgmo870

Banned
Because it shouldn't only be Assassins Creed that allows us to travel back in time to amazing real world histories.

There's so many cool places we could go in games, and yet we continually go to fictional places.

And what has the team size got to do with it?

I assumed, since you mentioned AC, you wanted an open world game on the same scale which I thought odd since RaD has a tenth of the people working on this than Ubi did on AC3. But you should have got this was a "fictional" setting from the reveal trailer.

Filmic is not a new term, nor did they make it up. It's been used legitimately in film studies for decades. While it is technically a synonym for cinematic, it is (as others have pointed out) more commonly used to describe the more physical aspects of film and cinematography.

Came to post this.

andycapps

But their first answer does apply to the game as a whole.

"So, exactly what kind of game is The Order: 1886?

The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. It’s very much story-based – it’s a linear story-based game. We’re trying to tell a story. It’s what we call a filmic experience."

The film effects discussion is later. They call it a "filmic experience" as an answer to "what kind of game is it?".

That's fair enough, but I'm wondering if in that situation he was saying that the story has a definite beginning and end point, as well as it being a linear experience and not a GTA or Red Dead style experience. I guess one would have to get more clarification from them on what they mean by the phrase. I'm guessing that it's going to be story based and that there's going to be lots of mo-cap done like Naughty Dog has done.

Ready at Dawn seems like the little brother to Naughty Dog (not saying that in a bad way), and wouldn't be surprised to see them brought in to be first party after this game (providing it sells).

Kyon

Banned
umm for some reason it sounds like the STORY is linear not the GAME like a lot of you are thinking.

Idk

Top Bottom