• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is a filmic linear storybased 3rd person action adventure w/ shooting

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
One quote from an interview has decided the game. The ridiculousness of it all.
They could have come out and shown actual gameplay. They decided against that.

Now they need to deal with single quotes and vague descriptions of their game as one of the few points that can be discussed.

Not talking about what the game is but talking about that the game isn't 1080p is absurd.

I don't care about linear, I expected that. Just let the gameplay be engaging and enjoyable and you have my money.

I love the concept and setting.

Eusis

So it's basically a modern AAA game.

Well, kind of expected that, as awesome as it'd be to make something more like Deus Ex or Dishonored in that setting, but if it's actually a decent story and the gameplay isn't a frustrating series of waves like Uncharted or Bioshock Infinite I'll either rent or buy at a discount at least.

I kind of just assume they mean they're putting a lot of effort into having it look cinematic both during cutscenes and gameplay.

That doesn't necessarily mean tons of QTEs and yanking control away from the player, but it's been associated with it enough this gen that I understand why some people are hesitant.

RaD was actually founded in part by Naughty Dog staff though so the similar values make sense.

Ready at Dawn were formed during the Jak days, so I wouldn't automatically attribute them to the Uncharted series (as you're implying). Here the director talks about the game not being cut up (gameplay -> cutscene -> gameplay):

http://youtu.be/hWOu6yg-axw?t=2m53s

That's not to say it won't be a QTE-fest, but it's pretty clear dude is only focused on informing us about presentation at this point, for whatever reason.

traveler

Not Wario
As someone who thinks the Uncharted series was probably the most overrated series this generation, it saddens me to see TLoU lumped in with it all over the place now. (As much as it enraged me to see BioShock Infinite called a "corridor shooter" in the vein of Halo/CoD as if Halo and CoD are somehow even remotely related in their approach to the genre) I guess it shouldn't be surprising; I was doing the exact same thing before playing the game.

All that said, I still think the Last of Us succeeded in spite of its cinematic elements, so just hearing that the Order is pursuing this route is disappointing to me. I have faith that this studio can deliver a decent game and I've seen that a cinematic game is still capable of being a great game despite taking the wrong approach, so I'll give it a shot. I do have to wonder why every seemingly every major AAA title, regardless of genre, pursues a cinematic feel when we've seen just how easy it is for the indies, who aren't concerned with that approach at all, to deliver amazing games that surpass the biggest devs' efforts on a fraction of their budgets. One of these days, I hope the balance will shift and AAA budgets will pursue more "gamey" games (for lack of a better adjective) over cinematic ones.

Hindle

Banned
That quote, pretty much has every word I hate when it comes to videogames. Only emotion is missing lol.

So yea, I can safely say this isn't my type of game.

LastNac

That quote, pretty much has every word I hate when it comes to videogames. Only emotion is missing lol.

So yea, I can safely say this isn't my type of game.
Well, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for elsewhere. Diversity exists and every dev shouldn't cater to every taste.

As someone who thinks the Uncharted series was probably the most overrated series this generation, it saddens me to see TLoU lumped in with it all over the place now. (As much as it enraged me to see BioShock Infinite called a "corridor shooter" in the vein of Halo/CoD as if Halo and CoD are somehow even remotely related in their approach to the genre) I guess it shouldn't be surprising; I was doing the exact same thing before playing the game.

I agree wholeheartedly with that, so maybe I should be a little more open minded.

Games have a tendency sometimes to be too clean and crisp. We thrive in the dirt. We just love the fact that it feels dirty. It’s filmed in a very realistic way.
I kinda like the sound of this and agree with him about games sometimes looking too clean and perfect.

Top Bottom