• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Hesemonni

Banned
Jesus my PS4 is loud. Reminds me of Xbox360 times before HDD install were a thing. Kinda ruins the atmosphere in certain scenes.

Fury451

Banned
I think a lot of the review scores and childishness from the gaming press comes from them living in an echo chamber. Many of them are friends and if they see someone making fun of something many try to just go with the flow. I witness this a lot with Arthur Gies and his group of friends on the RebelFM Podcast. Arthur takes what he "hears" from people at work/friends and then passes them on to his friends. Points out all the bad things and whatnot. Of course that's Arthur Gies, he's bred to hate on Sony.

Yeah, this makes sense, as it's a general pattern of behavior people engage in regardless of subject. Some people engage in it less as they grow and mature, but I think we're all capable of it.

wouwie

Just out of interest (not trying to start a debate on the topic since it has been done so many times before), did RAD ever give a reason for the black bars? Was it intentional (movie style) or was it purely a matter of technical reasons (resolution,...)? The black bars combined with the close camera result in a very limited field of view which i don't like at all when playing and exploring. Weird. I very much prefer Uncharted and TLOU's approach in that regard. Also, everything seems so small: the subtitles, the help texts (which repeat far too often), the newspapers (are we supposed to be able to read them? I get a headache when trying to read)... It feels uncomfortable on my eyes.

Loudninja

Just out of interest (not trying to start a debate on the topic since it has been done so many times before), did RAD ever give a reason for the black bars? Was it intentional (movie style) or was it purely a matter of technical reasons (resolution,...)? The black bars combined with the close camera result in a very limited field of view which i don't like at all when playing and exploring. Weird. I very much prefer Uncharted and TLOU's approach in that regard. Also, everything seems so small: the subtitles, the help texts (which repeat far too often), the newspapers (are we supposed to be able to read them? I get a headache when trying to read)... It feels uncomfortable on my eyes.
Yep.

done...

really wish they'd simply gone all-out 3rd person shooter, & spent more effort on better ai, & more interesting, expansive encounters. love the idea, the story (had no problem with the ending), & the setting, but hated everything involving qtes / contextual controls (could've handled the final boss fight as it was, were it not for the fact that
i'd already done it before!
). far too many white circles with triangles, far too much 'press x repeatedly, none of it really adding or contributing to anything...

like many others, would love a sequel with improved focus/gameplay. as is, this gets traded in tomorrow because i really can't see myself replaying it any time soon, if ever...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... That is surprising. I thought it had a technical reason. Such an odd decision... I see absolutely no benefit in it, on the contrary. But thanks for the answer.

Considering how smoothly the game runs, I actually believe them that it wasn't for technical reasons. I bet they could have gone 16:9 = 1080p and still kept it at a locked 30fps.

The aspect ratio does allow for some amazing looking scenes that wouldn't have worked with 16:9 (not to say that you can't make amazing looking scenes in 16:9, too).

Just finished a run-through of this last night and to my surprise I really enjoyed it.

And while I do think the game has gotten somewhat unfairly savaged in the reviews I have to give thanks to those reviews for calibrating my expectations quite a bit. If I went in expecting a take on the Gears or Uncharted formula I would've been very disappointed, but instead I walked in hoping for something like Beyond Two Souls done better, and on that account I think The Order works. Gameplay is still only serviceable, but its got more meat on its bones than a Heavy Rain or BTS, and I see it more as an attempt to make shooter gameplay better adhere to the laws of film, something it tries (but often fails) to do.

Still, on the presentation front, even knowing that its the most prominent and positive aspect of the game I was still floored by it. My heart was beating a good deal faster in that first hour just because I wasn't ready for how amazing everything looks and feels and sounds, both still and in motion. Thats a mixture of technical expertise, incredible attention to detail and a setting so rich with artistry that you want to touch everything. What an incredible space to visit and lose yourself in. And even with the black bars and grain and desaturation it all works.

But, in my first playthrough (and there will be a second) I made sure to go with the flow of the story's pace and kept things moving. Even then though I still had to stop and stare and take a moment every so often, its just that impressive. When I jump back in for another go, I'll take my time, explore more and snap some shots or go for collectibles.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just finished the stealth section in the garden and now I'm in the house, can someone give me a rough idea how long there is left? I would like to finish it tomorrow night but only have about 2 hours free time, I wouldn't be rushing either.

hydruxo

I just finished the stealth section in the garden and now I'm in the house, can someone give me a rough idea how long there is left? I would like to finish it tomorrow night but only have about 2 hours free time, I wouldn't be rushing either.

5 more chapters, but not much gameplay left. You should be able to finish it off in 2 hours I'd say.

benzy

Just finished a run-through of this last night and to my surprise I really enjoyed it.

And while I do think the game has gotten somewhat unfairly savaged in the reviews I have to give thanks to those reviews for calibrating my expectations quite a bit. If I went in expecting a take on the Gears or Uncharted formula I would've been very disappointed, but instead I walked in hoping for something like Beyond Two Souls done better, and on that account I think The Order works. Gameplay is still only serviceable, but its got more meat on its bones than a Heavy Rain or BTS, and I see it more as an attempt to make shooter gameplay better adhere to the laws of film, something it tries (but often fails) to do.

Still, on the presentation front, even knowing that its the most prominent and positive aspect of the game I was still floored by it. My heart was beating a good deal faster in that first hour just because I wasn't ready for how amazing everything looks and feels and sounds, both still and in motion. Thats a mixture of technical expertise, incredible attention to detail and a setting so rich with artistry that you want to touch everything. What an incredible space to visit and lose yourself in. And even with the black bars and grain and desaturation it all works.

But, in my first playthrough (and there will be a second) I made sure to go with the flow of the story's pace and kept things moving. Even then though I still had to stop and stare and take a moment every so often, its just that impressive. When I jump back in for another go, I'll take my time, explore more and snap some shots or go for collectibles.

I tried to do that but it was too difficult and I was like screw it, I'm taking it all in during first playthrough. There are moments where you're allowed to run but I just slowly walked because it looked THAT good and made for a more cinematic look. Glad you found enjoyment out of the game.

http://a.pomf.se/iqqkqc.gif

You'll definitely finish it tomorrow night. :p

Jisgsaw

2 hours should be about right (maybe a bit less).

I think the following experience speaks well towards RAD’s attempt to push “cinematic” gameplay.

I was enjoying my second play-through on hard yesterday when my friend stopped by to hangout. He and I often chill in the backyard with some beers, talk about fishing, the beach, etc. He is not a gamer. I didn’t realize he was going to stop by, but as usual I was glad he did… but I was right at the point where you repel down the side of the Agamemnon. So I invited him in and said “hey, you want to see something real quick”, intending to show him the repel section, then turn it off, and hang out as usual.

He agrees, and when the game comes on, he immediately says ‘Holy Shit!”. I got down the side and into the ship and was running with the team to the point where you descend the ladder with Lafayette when he asked “wait, are you playing right now”. He couldn’t believe it. He thought everything up until that point had been a cutscene.

Assuming he isn’t that into watching me play a video game, I go to shut it off, and he’s like, “well if you want to keep playing, I’m enjoying watching.” I felt bad, I don’t typically like playing a game while people just watch, I assume they aren’t having any fun…

Long story short, he sat there for 2 hours completely enthralled by the experience. Dude is 36 years old, non-gamer, and was totally into it. I think RAD succeeded with the often ridiculed “cinematic” experience.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
5 more chapters, but not much gameplay left. You should be able to finish it off in 2 hours I'd say.

You'll definitely finish it tomorrow night. :p

Thanks, really enjoying it, it's got problems but it's still a fun game and it has a lot going for it.

I think the following experience speaks well towards RAD’s attempt to push “cinematic” gameplay.

I couldn't believe that part either, absolutely stunning.

Mifune

Mehmber
Well, it just got the Tom Bissell Seal of Approval so I guess it's a must purchase for me. Gonna pick it up tonight. Thanks for all the impressions, dudes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think RAD succeeded with the often ridiculed “cinematic” experience.

For sure. The presentation is just incredible and really engrossing.

It's just that they made some mind boggling decisions when it came to what they actually had the player 'do' in the game.

Skux

Long story short, he sat there for 2 hours completely enthralled by the experience. Dude is 36 years old, non-gamer, and was totally into it. I think RAD succeeded with the often ridiculed “cinematic” experience.

Normally I play games in my computer room, but when I play it again I'll bring it out to the living room and show my family. My mum has commented on how good the Uncharted games look, and she will lose her shit when I show her The Order and Driveclub (she always shouts at me for driving badly and running over pedestrians in GTA games lol)

viveks86

Holy shit! Review thread got locked! Thank heavens for that. I was getting dragged into an insane conversation where people think professional reviews don't matter and youtube is the future! Ugh. Now where were we… Ah… yes… digital penises!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They need to add some kind of horde mode in this game, where you're free to use Thermite Rifle and Arc gun as much as you want. Or at least a new game+ with all the weapons unlocked and available everywhere in the game.

I'm curious what screen you're playing this on. On my, by today's standards bog-standard 50" plasma, I have none of those problems. Black bars is something I'm literally never reminded of as I play the game, text in newspapers is readable just fine, help text is not tiny at all. I also don't have some superior vision either. I wear contacts, but I can tell that even with them, some people with really good eyesight are better at resolving smaller/more distant details in real life than I am.

I'm curious what screen you're playing this on. My my, by todays standards bog-standard 50" plasma, I have none of those problems. Black bars is something I'm literally never reminded of as I play the game, text in news papers is readable just fine, help text is not tiny at all.

I think the problem is that a lot of people are using undersized TVs given the distance they are sitting from them. When I shopped a new TV for my place I was surprised how large you need to go for optimal viewing:

http://www.rtings.com/info/television-size-to-distance-relationship

8 feet away, which I think is probably a common viewing distance, suggests a minimum screen size of 55"

Not that I am excusing the lack of option in the game to simply bring up an actual text dialogue with the transcript rather than trying to read the cursive on the paper.

Derpyduck

Banned
Jesus my PS4 is loud. Reminds me of Xbox360 times before HDD install were a thing. Kinda ruins the atmosphere in certain scenes.

I own two PS4s. One is so loud I can't hear the TV at night. The newer one is pretty much dead quiet all the time, regardless of what game is being played. No idea what the difference between the two consoles is, but obviously there's something.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I own two PS4s. One is so loud I can't hear the TV at night. The newer one is pretty much dead quiet all the time, regardless of what game is being played. No idea what the difference between the two consoles is, but obviously there's something.
There was a difference since day 1. There were some PS4 lemons that were far louder than the norm.

I think RAD succeeded with the often ridiculed “cinematic” experience.
Absolutely. They just need to work on the gameplay quite a bit.

Rather than trying to incorporate more mechanically rich elements that make for a better shooter I think RAD needs to go back to the drawing board and develop their very own grammar for how those sections can play out filmically while still keeping the player involved and making decisions.

One small bit I'd propose along these lines would be to make something like the player choice of weapon help dictate the action that follows. If the player picks up the sniper rifle, present them a more long ranged challenge - if the player decides a shotgun is more to their liking, focus on a close quarters gauntlet in the action ahead. Have the character talk about the choice, tie it into their background, something. Instead of trying to recreate the tactical choices of tactical shooters, make the choices about character and world and have those choices play into the flavor of the action to come.

I guess, weirdly enough, I don't think RAD went far enough with their filmic sensibilities. Its not enough to put in now standard third person shooter elements - they have to redefine those elements so that the end result is something where all of the game's systems reinforce each other, rather than acting as cross purposes.

Skux

It's not a GAF highlight if the thread doesn't get locked lol

As much as I love the science weapons, I wish that RAD were a little more creative in the standard weapons. I love the look of early modern firearms, they're at a turning point where style starts to give way to functionality.

How cool is this:

1898schwarzlose.jpg

Pistol_Borchardt_C93_Adams_1.jpg

1024px-Colt_Potato_Digger.JPG

But instead of really interesting pre-modern prototype designs, we get a lot of copies from WWII designs. The Falchion stands out as unique, but then the autoloading pistol is basically the Luger, the submachine gun is a PPSh and the rifles are Mausers and M1 Garands.

I know there's only so many ways to design a gun, but there's still so much RAD can explore.

wouwie

I'm curious what screen you're playing this on. On my, by today's standards bog-standard 50" plasma, I have none of those problems. Black bars is something I'm literally never reminded of as I play the game, text in newspapers is readable just fine, help text is not tiny at all. I also don't have some superior vision either. I wear contacts, but I can tell that even with them, some people with really good eyesight are better at resolving smaller/more distant details in real life than I am.

46 inch Sony HX850. I'm about 2 to 3 meters from my tv. I wear glasses but i don't have issues with most other games.

Apath

Considering how smoothly the game runs, I actually believe them that it wasn't for technical reasons. I bet they could have gone 16:9 = 1080p and still kept it at a locked 30fps.

The aspect ratio does allow for some amazing looking scenes that wouldn't have worked with 16:9 (not to say that you can't make amazing looking scenes in 16:9, too).
The game was designed around having the black bars, so I'd imagine suddenly removing them and rendering X% more of the screen would cause issues.

Absolutely. They just need to work on the gameplay quite a bit.

Rather than trying to incorporate more mechanically rich elements that make for a better shooter I think RAD needs to go back to the drawing board and develop their very own grammar for how those sections can play out filmically while still keeping the player involved and making decisions.

One small bit I'd propose along these lines would be to make something like the player choice of weapon help dictate the action that follows. If the player picks up the sniper rifle, present them a more long ranged challenge - if the player decides a shotgun is more to their liking, focus on a close quarters gauntlet in the action ahead. Have the character talk about the choice, tie it into their background, something. Instead of trying to recreate the tactical choices of tactical shooters, make the choices about character and world and have those choices play into the flavor of the action to come.

I guess, weirdly enough, I don't think RAD went far enough with their filmic sensibilities. Its not enough to put in now standard third person shooter elements - they have to redefine those elements so that the end result is something where all of the game's systems reinforce each other, rather than acting as cross purposes.

I agree.

I think for a sequel RAD has two possible choices:

1. Remove the "cinematic" elements, QTE, controversial amount of cutscenes etc and make a more standard TPS. This is the boring choice to me

2. Retain the interwoven filmic stuff from this game, but make it more interesting, involving, and interactive. Maybe that means some actual branching options. You pick up this weapon, the encounter changes entirely, or a different cutscene/reaction plays. Branching QTE ala Heavy Rain where you they are more complex and missing a prompt doesn't mean you die. Alternate paths also give way to alternate encounters/enemies.

I feel like most people will go for option 1 but personally I have enough of those games, I would love to see them explore something like option 2

wouwie

Not that I am excusing the lack of option in the game to simply bring up an actual text dialogue with the transcript rather than trying to read the cursive on the paper.

Yep... TLOU has an option to do this. It would have made even more sense here since a lot of the handwriting is hard to read.

Ricker

Yep because mine is quiet as hell also,besides the occasional humm when I power it up and it reads the BR in the drive,takes about 20 seconds...

Markitron

I agree.

I think for a sequel RAD has two possible choices:

1. Remove the "cinematic" elements, QTE, controversial amount of cutscenes etc and make a more standard TPS. This is the boring choice to me

2. Retain the interwoven filmic stuff from this game, but make it more interesting, involving, and interactive. Maybe that means some actual branching options. You pick up this weapon, the encounter changes entirely, or a different cutscene/reaction plays. Branching QTE ala Heavy Rain where you they are more complex and missing a prompt doesn't mean you die. Alternate paths also give way to alternate encounters/enemies.

I feel like most people will go for option 1 but personally I have enough of those games, I would love to see them explore something like option 2

Personally I'd like them to keep the cinematic approach, but there needs to be longer stretches of gameplay inbetween the cutscenes and QTE's.

Marvel

could never
My PS4 spins the disc of my games for a few seconds and then shuts up, it's super quiet (white one)

My launch Black PS4 was noisier iirc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The game was designed around having the black bars, so I'd imagine suddenly removing them and rendering X% more of the screen would cause issues.

Oh, for sure. I just meant to say that I don't doubt they could have achieved the same (or at least very close to the same) graphical quality with a full 1920x1080 rendering resolution.

FZW

Finished twice, both on hard and easy. Platinumed.

Its a decent game with an amazing presentation but its not worth $60 to me. Im having buyers remorse right now, I shouldve waited on a sale. When Giant Bomb said this shouldve been a rental, I think its the most accurate thing said about the game. I shouldnt be able to finish twice and platinum a full price game in just a weekend, and to make it worse the story feels like it hasnt even started yet. Like the game wasnt finished. So many plot points left open. Nothing about the gameplay hasnt been done before and done better. Its the very definition of average.

As much as I love the graphics, I hate those black bars equally. I dont even want to replay the game simply because I dont want to go through those unskippable cut scenes again. It doesnt help that chapter 1-6 is so boring. Dont get me started on those stealth missions either....

None of it stands out in the genre. Certainly not enough to carry it past the incredible mediocrity of everything else in the product.
Interesting, besides the practically industry-leading visuals, I thought the soundtrack, voice acting, and the writing stood out a lot over other games in the genre. Each his own of course :)

They just need to let you skip them (the cinematics, that is).

Is this a shooter with too many unskippable cinematic elements weighing it down? Or is this an interactive cinematic with too many unskippable combat and stealth sequences weighing it down?

Considering what The Order does well and not so well I'd say its more the latter than the former. Considering the original reveal and the by-the-numbers trophies I'd say the former. Most reviews seem to peg it as the former and scored it accordingly.

I honestly hope RAD gets the go ahead on a sequel, and that they can well and truly make up their minds on this.

Thats my take as well, now that I've gotten to play this for myself.

And just for the record: I played on Hard, moving at a brisk pace - not rushed, but going with the flow of the story so I didn't explore when there wasn't context to, and shuffled ahead when my allies did. I guess it was something like 7 hours? And the ending didn't feel like a cliff-hanger for me.

viveks86

Interesting, besides the practically industry-leading visuals, I thought the soundtrack, voice acting, and the writing stood out a lot over other games in the genre. Each his own of course :)

Agree. I think the issue is that people prioritize different things differently. When someone has a sour experience, stuff that isn't highest priority for that person gets marginalized in the overall assessment.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy shit! Review thread got locked! Thank heavens for that. I was getting dragged into an insane conversation where people think professional reviews don't matter and youtube is the future! Ugh. Now where were we… Ah… yes… digital penises!

This reminds me, I am actually impressed with how this game handles nudity and swearing.

Having male nudity at several parts of the game, more often than female nudity in fact, is rare in any medium. It was never the core focus of the scene but it's something that's usually considered taboo and is pretty much never in games except as a punch line.

The swearing also usually felt natural. I loved how Galahad would get angry at a miss or having to reload, sometimes muttering in sync with me as a player. When Galahad is first encountered an elder and it says, "I can smell you human," the way he just slumped down and said, "ffffuuuuck," was one of the most natural times I've seen a game character respond to what's going on and was one of the few times his demeanor cracked.

viveks86

This reminds me, I am actually impressed with how this game handles nudity and swearing.

Having male nudity at several parts of the game, more often than female nudity in fact, is rare in any medium. It was never the core focus of the scene but it's something that's usually considered taboo and is pretty much never in games except as a punch line.

The swearing also usually felt natural. I loved how Galahad would get angry at a miss or having to reload, sometimes muttering in sync with me as a player. When Galahad is first encountering an elder and it says, "I can smell you human," the way he just slumped down and said, "ffffuuuuck," was one of the most natural times I've seen a game character respond to what's going on and was one of the few times his demeanor cracked.

Agreed! Liked that aspect of the writing as well. None of it seemed forced or gratuitous. Other than some cheesy lines, the writing in general is not too bad. Hated some of the dialogue in the last chapter, but that's about it.

Just finished , rarely a game took me so much , and in this way , grand final , I played a movie in every sense , the acting are top notch , the history and the universe were just scratched , Sir Galahad new icon PS , incredible adventure came few and intense with a care that are rarely seen today , add in the best audio visual component and an exceptional gunplay , here served a pearl to keep and share with friends , we must thank the RAD for everything !
My most anticipated title now becomes THE ORDER 2!

S.W.

It's not a GAF highlight if the thread doesn't get locked lol

As much as I love the science weapons, I wish that RAD were a little more creative in the standard weapons. I love the look of early modern firearms, they're at a turning point where style starts to give way to functionality.

How cool is this:

But instead of really interesting pre-modern prototype designs, we get a lot of copies from WWII designs. The Falchion stands out as unique, but then the autoloading pistol is basically the Luger, the submachine gun is a PPSh and the rifles are Mausers and M1 Garands.

I know there's only so many ways to design a gun, but there's still so much RAD can explore.

The semi-auto pistol in game is a modified C93 Borchardt (which is this image you posted) with part of the rear spring housing removed

Pistol_Borchardt_C93_Adams_1.jpg

This is the earliest toggle-link pistol and the daddy of Luger.

b5.jpg

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

The most surprising thing to me was how good the gunplay was -- blisteringly fast and aggressive, with superb feedback to the weapons.

I'm inclined to think the actual gunplay is the best in the entire third person shooter genre quite easily (better than Gears/TLOU/Uncharted).

Top Bottom