• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

JoJoSono

Banned
He is not "Galahad". Not a REAL name!

Anyway, it's odd for me when someone said that ending is terrible in The Order.. How someone can expect something from ending when there will be a sequel. Ending in first game will be beginning in next sequel. Same thing in GOW II and GOW III for example. End in GOW II ( what a terrible ending dammit :p) was the beginning in GOW III.
And I find this reasoning odd as plenty of first installments of trilogies have worthwhile conclusions. Sequels are never guaranteed and no game should ever end as unresolved as the Order. Do we need another Psi Ops?

I mean your example is even flawed. Why would you compare expectations to GoW2? A series already proven successful by the first game where a third game is already a safe bet? That reasoning makes literally no sense. God of War 1 ends perfectly, with a resolution that would be fine if there were no sequels. It tells a complete tale.

Which is what the Order does not. Pretty much all of the Plotlines are dropped in the very rushed third act as Galahad goes after Lucan. Yet that is'nt the complete problem as this conclusion feels disconnected from the entire story which at this point has no point to it.

TripOpt55

I just finished it and got the platinum with an extra hour or so to get the kill trophies I missed. It certainly isn't a good game, but there are things I liked. The graphics are obviously impressive. I like the setting. The weapons are cool and feel great.

But the bad far outweighs the good about the game. And a lot of the good things are sort of undercut by these bad things. The encounter and level design are pretty boring. The game too often puts you into limited control situations or limits your options in combat. The melee is handled pretty poorly. The werewolf stuff seems like a missed opportunity too (spoilers about the supernatural elements)
This could have been a good opportunity to add some variety to the enemy encounters, but man these are lame. Each is the same and they are just totally uninteresting. The Elder fight was actually not bad, but doing it again for the game's finish where it was even simpler was a bad call. Would have been cool if they worked in Vampires for more variety. There were so few enemy types, some variety would have been welcome.
Oh and its short. If there was more actual gameplay that wouldn't be so bad (I have some pretty short games on my all-time favorite list), but there isn't enough meat here.

Same kind of goes for the story. I like the setting and technology involved. Tying things like the rebels, Tesla, werewolves and Jack the Ripper into it all is neat. The acting is pretty solid. But the whole thing feels sort of unfocused and unfinished.

Still I'm glad I played it. Really liked Chapter Nine and a few others. I'd probably grade it in the D range somewhere though. Disappointing because I really liked Daxter and Ghost of Sparta a ton, so I was hoping for more from their first original IP. This certainly didn't deliver.

Ambitious

Why do I have a second The Order item in my PS4 library?

CBSS-UDUYAA4bSe.jpg:large

This is what I see when I select it:

CBSTNXWUYAAb31F.jpg:large

Fredrik

So I just met the indian woman, possibly near the end, and I'm extremely surprised at the low scores from some reviewers. What am I missing here?? This is fantastic! Solid 8, possibly 9. And by far the best looking game on any platform including PC.

hal9001

Banned
Just finished the game. Last level was a bit of a chore to get through but overall I'm left satisfied. I didn't expect the whole
Dark Knight esque
ending though but it felt like a wise route to go with.

Z3M0G

I dont like the idea of asking in the OT (too much bias), but my gamestop has it $40 new CDN (Thats $30 cheaper, almost half price)

Still unsure... am i crazy?

Edit: sale, so grabbing it

lt519

This game got too much hate. Just finished it and had fun. The gunplay was pretty generic but it was really no worse than something like Uncharted, albiet lacking cool set pieces like Uncharted. Prettiest game I've played and the story wasn't half bad, I could really get behind Galahad. The dialog between characters could use some work but I really enjoyed the setting and overall story. It probably helped that I rented it and didn't feel the pressure to like it because I spent $60 on it. But it was definitely better than how badly the media slammed it. Started at 3:30 EST although I stopped to watch the basketball games, so it was probably a 6-7 hour play through while only missing one collectible.

Edit: man these credits are almost as long as the game though :p

xray49er

I just beat the game. I thought it was OK I would five it a 7 or 8.

Pros
Graphics - they were awesome
Length - I have a wife and two kids I was able to knock this out in 3 play sessions
Story - I thought it was pretty good it was predictable but it served its ourpouse
Guns - the guns felt good I enjoyed the firefights for the most part

Cons

That slow walk almost drove me crazy
Stealth missions - oh I hate stealth missions
Collectibles - Did not enjoy looking for collectibles at all and ended up not doing them
Qte - I don't mind qte but this took it overboard
Stealth missions - I almost just quit playing during the second stealth mission

I did enjoy it and my wife watched and kept mentioning its like a movie. Also Coop would of been great in this game my wife wanted to play with me and she kept bringing up how we played gears of war together

Hopefully we can get a sequal so they can fix some things

m@cross

I just beat the game. I thought it was OK I would five it a 7 or 8.

Pros
Graphics - they were awesome
Length - I have a wife and two kids I was able to knock this out in 3 play sessions
Story - I thought it was pretty good it was predictable but it served its ourpouse
Guns - the guns felt good I enjoyed the firefights for the most part

Cons

That slow walk almost drove me crazy
Stealth missions - oh I hate stealth missions
Collectibles - Did not enjoy looking for collectibles at all and ended up not doing them
Qte - I don't mind qte but this took it overboard
Stealth missions - I almost just quit playing during the second stealth mission

I did enjoy it and my wife watched and kept mentioning its like a movie. Also Coop would of been great in this game my wife wanted to play with me and she kept bringing up how we played gears of war together

Hopefully we can get a sequal so they can fix some things

Got this for $25 during the 4 hour BB sale. You summed up my thoughts, though I didn't hate the stealth and I was ok finding the collectibles. Platinumed the game at 8 and a half hours.

Cost me more than that for a movie with the wife, and this lasted 3 times as long, let me interact, and didn't force me to deal with s-head teenagers being rude the whole time.

Bring on the sequel!

Bought this during the fire sale at BestBuy and am currently enjoying the ever loving shit out of it.... that being said, I find Normal not challenging enough.

Recommend restart on Hard?

Also, like how they didn't tie any trophies to the difficulty ala Red Faction Guerilla.

mzupeman

Banned
So, despite having enjoyed this game throughout its duration... It's been a few weeks since completion, and I came to the realization today just how empty it is. I mean, I don't think I'm ever going to want to play this again. I see virtually zero replay value. And because the 'in the moment' enjoyment of the cinematic experience has passed, the games flaws are becoming all the more glaring to me.

It isn't often I end up saying I enjoy something, only to say almost the exact opposite after I let some thoughts marinate a while.

So, despite having enjoyed this game throughout its duration... It's been a few weeks since completion, and I came to the realization today just how empty it is. I mean, I don't think I'm ever going to want to play this again. I see virtually zero replay value. And because the 'in the moment' enjoyment of the cinematic experience has passed, the games flaws are becoming all the more glaring to me.

It isn't often I end up saying I enjoy something, only to say almost the exact opposite after I let some thoughts marinate a while.

After getting to Ch.4, I restarted on hard cause medium wasn't presenting any challenge and also because I wanted to pay more attention to as much as I could...

...yeah, that was a mistake. I literally fell asleep (played late after a long day at work) on two different occasions when waiting to even get to the gameplay bits :(

I... I don't even think I can even finish this now, especially because I can currently get $40 for it at Hastings, when I only payed $20 for it.

I managed to get a copy of this for £17.99 from Zavvi last week. After finishing up Bloodborne last night, I decided to give it a go. Firstly and I am sure it has been said a million times before, but this game looks incredible. It is the best looking game on the system so far. The setting is fantastic and the characters are great. I am only on the 4th chapter and I am enjoying it so far, although I can see the things that people have been complaining about. The slow walking sections are a little annoying, especially as exploration seems pointless and the constant tutorials on how to walk and jump over walls is completely unnecessary. In fact no game should ever need to tell you to push the left stick to move.

kng3025

Got this for $25 during the 4 hour BB sale. You summed up my thoughts, though I didn't hate the stealth and I was ok finding the collectibles. Platinumed the game at 8 and a half hours.

Cost me more than that for a movie with the wife, and this lasted 3 times as long, let me interact, and didn't force me to deal with s-head teenagers being rude the whole time.

Bring on the sequel!

Just beat the game myself and honestly,I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think it warranted all the hate it has been getting. Are there some things that could have been done differently? Sure, but overall it was a decent game. I think it would have fared a little better if the game came out during the Ps4's launch, not a little over a year since release. With that said,bring on the sequel!

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?193491-The-Order-1886-Team-Post

Multiple posts on zbrushcentral by RaD peeps who worked on character / item / weapons /etc modelling; some really detailed stuff.

Holy shit. Amazing work.
Also lol at lycan and vampire penis

Also info on polycount:
The poly count for entire character varied quite a bit, with background characters between 12 and 16k and main characters averaging between 40 and 60k. The main character, depending on costume would be as high as 80k.
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...86-Team-Post&p=1138442&viewfull=1#post1138442

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well finally picked this up. It sure is pretty. Really love the animation and detail.

Too bad the game fucking suuuuuuuuuuuucks. Wow. I figured this was going to be another one of those games where my opinion differs from the general community sentiment, that I would probably really like it, but no.

Nope.

I don't know if I'm even going to play anymore. Well, pretty damn disappointing, I was saving this one for a rainy day... whatever.

edit: And I just have to ask this, even though in the grand scheme of things it's basically a non-issue, but why is the shoulder switch so retarded? Like, why do you have to press different sides on the touchpad to switch it back and forth? That is really annoying, and really dumb. Just touching the pad anywhere could accomplish the same damn thing... I don't get why they would do something like that. I only comment because it's so obviously dumb. How do you spend years making a movie and not see glaring stuff like that. What would it take, 10 mins to fix?

Apt101

Picked this back up to play through some of my favorite chapters and revisit those I didn't care for - give them a second chance. With hindsight in mind and a revisitation, I still enjoyed the game and hope there's a sequel. A lot needs to be changed in regards to basic gameplay though. It stands strong on its story, aesthetics/presentation, acting, and score, but falls flat too many times during encounters and segments that demand a change of mechanics. Too confined. Gameplay in general needed to be opened up and made more dynamic. The final battle, especially during a second play through, was so underwhelming.

I beat this last night, I liked it. It had some problems (shotgun dudes were cheap, couldn't see past black bars, qte's given at the same time as tutorial messages) but I'm glad to have supported the game by buying it (at $30) and am hopeful for a sequel. I'm confident they can fix the bad and make for a great sequel.

Well finally picked this up. It sure is pretty. Really love the animation and detail.

Too bad the game fucking suuuuuuuuuuuucks. Wow. I figured this was going to be another one of those games where my opinion differs from the general community sentiment, that I would probably really like it, but no.

Nope.

I don't know if I'm even going to play anymore. Well, pretty damn disappointing, I was saving this one for a rainy day... whatever.

edit: And I just have to ask this, even though in the grand scheme of things it's basically a non-issue, but why is the shoulder switch so retarded? Like, why do you have to press different sides on the touchpad to switch it back and forth? That is really annoying, and really dumb. Just touching the pad anywhere could accomplish the same damn thing... I don't get why they would do something like that. I only comment because it's so obviously dumb. How do you spend years making a movie and not see glaring stuff like that. What would it take, 10 mins to fix?

If there is one thing i'm disappointed about it's the complete lack of curiousity and support of the developers on what we think of the game and what we'd like next.
Sure, there is a photomode. But that only makes it even more clear the most important aspect of the game is the graphics.

There was never a reacion, a comment, a question by the devs.
Here is the fucking game, deal with it.
You'd like DLC? fuck you. the game is done. Things can be improved? Fuck you.

I have no idea why they think not listening to the few people who actually LIKED the game was a good idea.

If there is one thing i'm disappointed about it's the complete lack of curiousity and support of the developers on what we think of the game and what we'd like next.
Sure, there is a photomode. But that only makes it even more clear the most important aspect of the game is the graphics.

There was never a reacion, a comment, a question by the devs.
Here is the fucking game, deal with it.
You'd like DLC? fuck you. the game is done. Things can be improved? Fuck you.

I have no idea why they think not listening to the few people who actually LIKED the game was a good idea.

I agree with you 100%. They have pretty much been absolutely silent about the game after the release. No DLC talk, no sequel talk or word on the feedback from reviews/gamers. I just hope that they made enough sales that we get a better sequel. There is so much potential here if they take the feedback and fix some of the major gripes this can be a hit. This time around they can focus on the gameplay since the engine is done. I hope Sony allows them to do another sequel. It will be a shame if this was just a one off since I love the setting and their engine is amazing.

KC Denton

If I had to take a guess, the less than stellar reception the game received forced any initial DLC/post-release plans to be heavily modified. E3 would probably be when we learn about plans for the future of The Order or if there are any plans at all.

DigiMish

So like what happened about going after the East India Company and Lord Hastings? Why the sudden shift to "Lucan must die" in the last 90% of the game? Bizarre.

I'll buy the sequel if it has no black bars.

DigiMish

If I would have to guess, I'd say Sony will announce something like The Order: 1887 at E3, which will be a standalone DLC title.

It would be a shame to waste the beautiful engine and all those assets.

I'll definitely bite at $15 for like half as much gameplay.

Here's my summary of this game which I also posted as a user review.

The game is definitely not without faults. Environments are often very narrow, some fights are needlessly restricted/repetitive involving limited AI patterns, and one or two stealth sections are just boring (though once I realized I actually had a crossbow, one was actually pretty decent). But the gunplay is actually quite good, the graphics and sound are fantastic, the atmosphere is great, and the story, dialogue and characters are very much to my liking. Once the game is over, you have a fantastic setup for a second part, and considering the lessons undoubtedly learnt from this difficult first game on a new platform with some of the best graphics ever so far, the potential for the sequel is excellent and I can't wait to dive back into this world and finish what is clearly a larger story than just told in this game. Unfortunately, I fear that will be at least two years, if ever.

finally completed it and I throughly enjoyed it, the characterization was good and
I felt bad killing the guy at the end

Such a sequel bait ending, I hope they have a multi game contract to conclude it... I can hope can't I?

DonMigs85

I really suspect these guys ran out of time and budget to add more meat to the game. Almost everything went to the engine and assets. There's really nothing special at all about the gameplay and the latter portion feels obviously rushed. At least it was an easy Platinum.

Resseh

Just finished it thanks to the amazing amazon ps4 bundle recently. I thought the game was incredible. Wasn't as well polished as I was expecting due to a few ps4 crashes and cut scenes with no speech. But I enjoyed the story and hoping for a sequel.

Tizoc

Anyone here have a Sony w600b 60 inch tv?
If so could you provide what settings you use with the game to have it output the best visual presentation?

Portugeezer

I just finished it and this was a pleasant surprise. Enjoyed it more than I expected.

I just played this game without much downtime, i.e. didn't stop to look look for collectibles (a lot of that is to do with the slow walking speed with moments in which you can't jog or run), went through the guided path, and about half way in this game just clicked for me.

I really hope we get the sequel for this, it did end on a cliffhanger, I want to know what happens next!

hesido

Finished this game just yesterday.

• First of all, the game looks bonkers. Nothing comes close.
  • The sound design is good but there are a couple of rough transitions between environments , and objects that you kick with your feet seems to produce no sound. So irritating, given how everything looks.
  • The facial animations are more than serviceable and better than 90% percentile, but it's not the best in town.
  • The story wasn't bad, I've had enough of a game and the story, I don't fancy too long games anymore due to my limited time.
  • Fight with lycans surely needed more variety. Maybe open ended use of environment to fight them could result in much more memorable scenes.
  • At least one instafail section did get on my nerves, the
    infiltration to the company HQ.

7.5/10 from me, those who gave this less than 5 are out of their minds. (gameplay is definitely not worse than an average game, not even counting the technical merit)

As for the "why didn't Gallahad speak at all, god damn it!" part, there's nothing he could do or say to change the course of events there, he wasn't in a position to have his testimony be taken into consideration with no one to back him up
except for the rebel leader, but it's not as if he could have her spill the beans in front of the Order

About the ending,
it didn't make sense to me for taking a half breed into the order, sparing life and taking care of is one thing, having him join the ranks is another

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Picked up the Blackwater Edition today since Gamestop had it at the same price as the regular game (presumably because it was overpriced as fuck in the beginning, no one bought it and they just wanted to get rid of it) and I wanted that necklace.

So far it's.. not godawful, but really nothing special either. The graphics are great and the setting and concept are cool, meaning the videos in the game are generally good. Too bad the gameplay is generally just tedious and thoroughly mediocre in every way..

LTTP: Just finished this and I found it to be pretty great. The potential that the sequel has is crazy high, imo. I don't understand the hate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nullpoynter

LTTP: Just finished this and I found it to be pretty great. The potential that the sequel has is crazy high, imo. I don't understand the hate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exactly, I'm playing through this now and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. In fact, I find it hard to put down to take a break. Like you, I don't understand everyone's hate with this game. I would love a sequel, but something tells me it will never happen.

Crzy1

Just finished it, for the $20 I paid, it was great. Could see people being pissed off about it for $60. Overall, I liked everything about it, but it was extremely brief. Guess this is what you get when you put everything you possibly can into presentation, everything feels and controls very well, but it's very limited in scope. I'd give it a solid 7, definitely well made and enjoyable to play, but very lacking on the content side.

Not the best game I've played this year, but far from the worst. I'd love to see a sequel, but it seems fairly unlikely given the game's reception.

Top Bottom