• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

valkyre

Finished the game, platinum'ed it also.

Unparalleled graphics, but the game was extremely disappointing to me. Even storywise it was as predictable as fuck.

I think the metascore the game has is totaly justified. Its a pretty bad game IMHO. The level design is simply tragic most of the times. Its not just that it looks like it is on rails, the level design is such that you dont even have a moderate breathing room for strategic approach or whatnot.

The stealth levels are abysmal as is the whole melee/stealth QTE mechanic and the lycan battles are just... no words...

Dont know if I want a sequel of this... it pretty much needs to have a huge, MAJOR overhaul in almost every aspect (apart graphics) of its predecessor.

Just my 2 cents.

shanafan

Just finished the airship chapter. Wow, I am very happy with this game. I just really love the combat in the game. I like the variety of the weapons, and the feedback from the games just feels right. I told myself I would buy a PS4 for the Order, and I am so glad that I did.

Took me a while to finish the game but that is because I have been busy. I loved it even though I can see why some rated it that low however, I don't think it deserves anything lower than a 6.5 - 7.0, I dig the ending as well. Ended kind of ballsy with a very exciting thought for how the sequel if it came to be, would play out. It's the kind of ending that raises questions more than answers but is good for a conversation or two certainly.
If we are to believe The Order itself has been for as long as it has, then it means there were betrayals from the start because it was founded with a Half Breed as a member all this time. I think in the sequel we may see Galahad go to India with the queen? or probably the other destinations which has more of the Vampire shipments. The potential for a sequel is very high, I hope we get one. Let's not forget Lord Hastings is still alive and I'm pretty sure Lord Chancellor doesn't know about half the shit that conspired between Hastings and Lucan or maybe he does and if so, he would be as evil as Hastings and Lucan. It may very well just destroy he entire idea of The Order and it may be for the better. Either that or wipe out all the bad fruit.

If the game was cheaper I think it wouldn't get as much backlash as it did, it played like an insanely high quality Telltale game with very satisfying gunplay and looked insane. However, I will say that the story was predictable but it still had a few small surprises even though it was predictable. I really loved the characters(Galahad and Percival the most), particularly just the world in which the game is set in felt very realized and is very interesting. I hope we get a sequel or something because I would love to explore more of that fascinating world. Voice acting is pretty damn good as well and the soundtrack is beautiful, shame it didn't play to it's strength as much.
The scene where Galahad is sentenced is really where the score shines the most with the ending coming in second. Also, check out Galahad's eyes when they call out guilty. Really insane detail all around.

I see people complaining about the stealth but honestly, like LOS2. I never had any problem with it in both chapters that it was in. To keep things short...

+ Insane CGI graphics
+ Beautiful score
+ Fascinating world
+ Great voice acting
+ Satisfying as fuck gunplay
+ Badass Weapons (
My favorite, the Dragoon and Telsa gun
)

- Too many slow walking segments
-
Lycans were disappointing to fight with all of them having the exact same pattern, except for the elder one's which they are also disappointing to fight as well. It would have been nice if we fought a vampire or something but we never did
- Too many QTE's, generally a few would have sufficed
- Not enough room to experiment with the guns or strategize even on how to attack the enemies
- Dumb A.I
- No bosses
-
The levels always had an industrial side to them, it would have been better if we had more color or city levels in general
- More character development or backstory would have been nice.
- Short game, more would have been nice. Especially if it's varied.

In the end, I think the game is worth experiencing. Don't know if it's worth a purchase, for me though it was because I love to support new IP's, especially one's that are as interesting as this one. I hope we get a sequel where they could fix all the wrong doings that is on display here. The potential is insane.

Just up to the part where
you discover the vampires
, how far along am I?

I am really enjoying the gunplay I just wish there was more of it.

kikonawa

Enjoyed it . gfx are insane but the widescreen plus black bars distracted me. the levels , playing area , view area felt cramped.
needed more of everything .
i really liked the acting and story

I give it A solid 7/10 ;p

Salz01

Finished the game a few nights ago. Agree with what others have said here, both the good and the bad. I'm glad I purchased it. Will play parts time to time again. I do hope they either have story DLC coming soon or a sequel that improves everything coming quickly. I don't want to wait to long to play more. Just hope they fix the main issues. Again what others have said here.

Stike

Holy shit, I started reading this page and expected to be in the Bloodborne spoiler thread.

I dare you read from the top with that in mind :p
I can't even...

Anyway, The Order 1886 is a really good game with some shortcomings and amazing tech. Can't wait for a sequel. The story is a good setup.

Played the game again to get the last collectible trophies and my god. I hate this game even more than I initially thought. Unskippable cutscenes are unforgivable.

I'm also noticing a lot more terrible design decisions like that god awful section
with the lantern and Gallahad all of a sudden losing the ability to take cover.

Also, the script is still just as awful as I remember it being. The story is incredibly boring and the characters are horribly one dimensional. When
Percival dies, I felt absolutely nothing. There was no depth to his character and his relationship with Gallahad held absolutely no weight.

I was hoping that a sequel would fix my issues with the first game but at this point I just don't think I care anymore. The world while full of atmosphere, is wasted with boring gameplay and groan worthy writing.

Qwell

Picked up the game from the BB GCU deal that made it $32. I just beat it and I thought it was fantastic, probably helps that I try my best not to go into a game with too high of expectations no matter what, since they will never be met. I can understand why some may not like it just because its not up to their taste. But after having just recently finished The Walking Dead season 2, and Splinter Cell Blacklist it kind of felt like a mix to an extent.

I enjoyed the combat, thought there was good weapon variety, and I didn't mind the stealth, seemed about on par with Splinter Cell Blacklist to me, I mean I wasn't shooting out lights, but I could be spotted decently easily, and instead of pressing X when I close to a guy I had to have a bit better timing on the mini QTE. I thought the world and characters were really cool and at least the story kept me far more interested then any of the recent games I have been playing like Far Cry 4, or any of the Assassins Creed games. Lately I have been watching movies while playing games with them on mute cause I just couldn't bother with the stories.

Hopefully it did well enough to warrant a sequel and unless it fully tanked I'm sure one will be coming. It could use a few UI tweaks like skippable cutscenes and stuff, but at the same time its pace reminded me more of a telltale kind of game where its really about the story and not about shoot shoot bang bang action set pieces that people would jump into and replay so those kind of tweaks aren't really needed.

Marvel

could never
Also, the script is still just as awful as I remember it being. The story is incredibly boring and the characters are horribly one dimensional. When
Percival dies, I felt absolutely nothing. There was no depth to his character and his relationship with Gallahad held absolutely no weight.

Well it made me sad, I thought Galahad's reaction was fantastic.
They'd been fighting together for centuries, I could see how close they were

Docflem

Damn I just bought and finished this game today, almost all in one setting. Wow, I'm glad I didn't pick it up for 60 bucks (I went and got the last copy at my best buy for $30, which is cool cause when I trade it back tomorrow ill be out only a couple of bucks), but man am I glad I played it, so pumped for the sequel.

mzupeman

Banned
Finished this game the other day, and it took me about 6 hours and 45 minutes.

Anyway, I'd have an extremely hard time actually recommending this game to anyone because I know it's not going to be for everyone... but I really really enjoyed it. I hope there's a sequel someday.

People giving this 7 and 8 out of 10, what do you give stuff like Uncharted 2 or Gears? 15?

7 out of 10 for this. 8 out of 10 for Gears, and a 9.4 out of 10 for Uncharted 2.

Personally, I feel like the visual design of this game was a revelation and the gameplay, what is there, is solid. The performance of teh characters was good, but the story was poorly paced and rather disjointed.

Gears had impressive visuals when released and good mechanics. The story was entertaining enough and pretty crap.

U2 is very consistent, very slick, has an enjoyable story and fairly varied mechanics. In my opinion, it is the pinnacle of that genre hands down. At least it was when I played it.

Jito

Banned
Well it made me sad, I thought Galahad's reaction was fantastic.
They'd been fighting together for centuries, I could see how close they were

You see none of that in the game though, you're just told they fought together for centuries, in the game there's two missions you fight alongside him then suddenly
he's dead and we're meant to feel something about it.

Marvel

could never
You see none of that in the game though, you're just told they fought together for centuries, in the game there's two missions you fight alongside him then suddenly
he's dead and we're meant to feel something about it.

Yeah I know, but the animation and VA still carried me to feel sad. You're right though, he
was killed far too quickly, I too would have loved to fight by his side for longer

Goldrusher

Started this today.

Whose idea was it to make the player walk past a dozen mirrors and windows in the first half hour of the game... when the engine can't do character reflections?

jyoung188

Just finished this, rented it from gamefly and I'm glad I didn't pay $60 for this game. Is there any way to see what collectibles I'm missing in each chapter or do I have to play the whole fucking game again and follow a guide?

hwy_61

Banned
Started this today.

Whose idea was it to make the player walk past a dozen mirrors and windows in the first half hour of the game... when the engine can't do character reflections?

Yeah, that was a pretty odd decision. Its extra jarring because of how amazing the graphics are in this game.

I finished this the other day, and I gotta say it wasn't bad. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit!

I think that scattering items to examine is cool the first couple of times, but then it's like, alright guys, you couldn't add a single gameplay mechanic to any of these items? Sorta like Tomb Raider did?

The sequel is gonna be great.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Playing through now. Rented it so hasn't cost me much.

I'm enjoying it tbh, is it perfect? Hell no. A lot of walking sequences, but when you're thick in the action its really cool. I enjoyed the fight with the
Elder Lycan

Going to try and platinum it before my rental is over.

Atm, I'd give it a 7.5/10

Apt101

The stealth segment outside of the mansion. This is so incredibly bad I hope that no one involved in its creation works in games in the future. Holy shit this is terrible. This is like a clinic of how not to design stealth in games.

leng jai

The stealth segment outside of the mansion. This is so incredibly bad I hope that no one involved in its creation works in games in the future. Holy shit this is terrible. This is like a clinic of how not to design stealth in games.

It's definitely mediocre. It's faster and less painful if you just use the crossbow though.

Found this in my local Redbox...can't beat $3/day. I'm only like 2 hours in, but so far it's pretty...meh. I mean, the game is certainly a looker, astonishing how great the graphics are even, but the whole gunplay is mildly entertaining at best, and I'm not really feeling anything about the characters/story.

I'll dive more into it tonight, hopefully it picks up a bit?
I just entered the hospital

Just finished it, sigh.

At least let me
aim the fucking gun and pull the trigger
in the end.

Hated the controls, kept changing from walk to jog but not aiming to stealth where you would stick to things automatically, touch pad shoulder switch is a bad idea.

ND TESTED TLOUR controls, IN MULTIPLAYER no less, it was stupid to reinvent the wheel, I can't even do a quick 180 in the game.

Gahhh.

There are salvageable pieces in there that can be put together into a good game, makes me wonder if Dana Jan as the game director did enough gameplay research into the genre, he wasn't ready.

Allforce

I have to say I really enjoyed this game, just finished it a few minutes ago. Took me about 7-8 hours over the course of a week.

I read all the pre-release hate and figured I was in for some pretty graphics and convoluted story that finished in 4 hours. I was actually really impressed with the story overall so I really don't understand all the flack it got. Plus some great fleshed-out characters. I don't feel enough good can be said about Lakshmi and Devri (sp?), who are fantastic female characters that should be looked at as a great example for devs to follow. Especially nowadays with the ongoing conversation about how females should be represented in games being a hot topic, they did it very well and deserve kudos.

A great single-player story with a great character arc. What they've essentially done is set up a great world where:

-Galahad and Tesla are now working with the rebels, with Lakshmi as the head. They're basically a less organized Order, hunting half-breeds and attempting to save the human race by taking down the East India Trading company and it's head Lord Hastings who is still at large.

-The real Order in shambles and riddled with conspiracy coming after Galahad and crew. But they have an insider in Marquis de Lafayette!

-A international conspiracy to ship the Lycans around the globe to populate and overtake the human race. The setting is wide open.

Goldrusher

And finished.

I thought it was pretty good. Some vague moments in the story, and a little underwhelming perhaps, but overall, pretty good.

Will recommend.
Would buy a sequel.

JoJoSono

Banned
So I just finished the game and my thoughts on it are that it is a very shallow title.

For a story focused game it has very and I mean very mediocre story. Which I find even more disappointing, because no doubt Ready at Dawn had plenty of creative control over it and the best they could come up with was predictable trite. Yet, it hurts more because the setting and world are genuinely interesting.

The story just has no life to it. it all follows the most obvious straight line ever. Oh guess what maybe parts of the Order aren't actually good! Maybe the rebels are actually the good guys! The supposed conflicted hero shall join the rebels! Mentor character dies! All these plot points are so obvious and the game follows them with no style of it's own. Making for a very uneventful story that hurts even more because outside of it's gritty steampunk stylings and the name dropping of historical people it does really nothing with it's setting.

But that's not even the problem. The story and characters themselves are extremely weak.

Who care's that Hastings is a vampire and what the United India group was doing? It seems to not even tie that much into the actual third act anyway where Galahad just goes after Lucan. But then what is the entire point of the story itself? The Order was corrupt? But outside of Lucan it's not even known if they knew about Hastings and Galahad does nothing to prove it to them for whatever reason. For whatever reason the game decides Lucan is the antagonist, but this hits like a wet blanket because for all his talk I don't understand his motives or why he's a bad guy. Yes he was a lycan, but that's the game's only real point. We don't know what he was even doing with Hastings or what he he was doing to save his people. As a villain, I don't care. His turn means nothing to me. He was a nothing character and the revelation just makes the entire plot feel oddly disjointed and pointless.

But these characters also are terrible. Isi basically is just the female. That's her character. She does nothing beyond being "the female". She has to act tough, because she's the female. She is in love for Galahad because she's the female. And I guess she gets mad because a woman scorned? There's an interesting part where she is knocked out because of the Lycan boss. She talks about how they don't deserve this life. It's an interesting scene that goes nowhere. Well until her father brings it up at the end which i guess the script writers thought they were being clever. They weren't, because the theme was hardly apparent throughout the story and we honestly never see much of the sacrifices of being a Knight other then I guess they fight? Isi has no character or role in the story.

Lafayette(another interesting historic figure) is basically "hey I'm french" which the game can only do a half assed caricature of. Oh he's a ladies man and oh I guess he's the "fun" one. Whatever, pointless character that disappears anyway.

And then Galahad. I'm so tired of these protagonists. White guy with guns. They are all the same. Tough. Angry. Stoic dudes. Galahad is a very uninteresting character. He's not entertaining as he simply just goes through the motions of the story. Saying and behaving for every predictable turn the plot asks him to act for. I don't care for him as a person. He simply exists to fill the role of the main character and shoot things. He has no personality beyond that of your regular video game guy with a gun. No thrills. Sure I understand his motives. His relationship with Percival was interesting in the aspect that he was perhaps more loyal to him then the Order, but even that is a lukewarm development. You don't get a feel for his actual views on anything. His motivation beings and stops at "Percival died". Making for a very weak character.

As for the game. It controls fine. Some of the gun fights actually feature nice level design for the skirmishes. But it's all very been there done there. You basically do the same thing over and over again with no thrills. If you've played a cover based tps, you've played this game and The Order has nothing to offer.

Which is a shame as it could have had interesting weapons. The thermite gun is cool. Game does nothing with it. The ai is actually pretty aggressive, could have made for some interesting squad and tactical play if you had weapons and ai behave in a more puzzle matter. As in aggressive shotgun team is running up on you, use the thermite gun to halt them with a wall of fire and then chip at thier armor. As it it is though it's just a generic well playing shooter. Also your arsenal is always so limited. As a game the whole thing just feels there.

So really it's kits kind of a bad game. A real 5 out of 10. It works. It looks fantastic. The graphics and art design are spectacular. The gameplay is'nt offensive, but it's not compelling. The story is terrible. It's a game that kind of dosen't have a case for existing.

JoJoSono

Banned
So what happening with Lord Hastings?

I assume they want to do a sequel.

But the problem is the story just seems to stop and drop so many things, instead going for this really rushed conclusion. It's fine up until halfway with all the reveals wich seems like an appiroate halfway point. Then it just seems like the Lord Hastings and Vampire stuff well ended....I guess we set them on fire so ok...This revelation of what the United India group really is kind of just whimpers and it's ties to the order seem very weak. Leaving me to wonder why I should care or what the point of the story is.

The story of the game just seems to kind of never get going and whimpers to a conclusion.

I assume a sequel will deal with Isi, Layette(was he the hooded figure that saved Galahad?), and other stuff.

tensuke

So I played through this yesterday/this morning, took about 10 hours to beat.

The visuals. Wow, just wow. The graphics were so damn good, and honestly, I loved the combination of the fr/filter/black bars/lighting. I know "filmic" is kind of stupid as far as games go, it totally worked for me. The story itself had its ups and downs, and the end was kinda flat, but I enjoyed it. Actual gameplay was...eh...way too cover shootery, the direction wasn't always clear, I hated how you had to wait for companions to open doors for you (often I'd get there first, see the door couldn't be opened, run all over trying to figure out where to go, and 10 minutes later get back and find the door open), and the QTEs were wayyy too excessive.

I wouldn't pay $60 (glad I didn't), but it's still good entertainment. I think a 7/10 is definitely fair, 6 is really pushing it, and anything lower is way too critical (imo).

Also, I had fun shooting guards' hats off their head, and I lol9'd when some guards went, "Intruders, on the balcony!" and Lakshmi (or Devi) replied, "Guards, in the garden!".

Lashley

Just finished the game.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, story was excellent, gameplay was fun. Definitely a 7/10 at the very least.

A nice easy platinum is always nice too.

Lashley

WTF

Used a guide and got all the collectibles/photos treble checked and the trophy just wont unlock :(

Finished this last night, very glad i went against the reviews and experienced it for myself. It was similar to ryse, critically panned but i loved it.

Graphics are amazing, definitely the best looking game on any console, the black bars can be annoying (peeking over walls) , but just amazing all round.

Definitely a few downsides

- insta fail stealth
- too many cut scenes
- forced walking sections
- useless collectibles
- terrible ending

But i still enjoyed the hell out of it. Its a pity there wasn't more gun-play, as what was there was really fun and solid, it just needed more of it.

Lashley

FINALLY! The Order Platinum popped up for a collectible that I'd definitely already collected!

Leibniz

I am near finishing it but tbh I did not enjoy this at all. There is nothing of interest in this game.

I just want to end this one because it does look good and want to give it a real chance.

So I just finished the game and my thoughts on it are that it is a very shallow title.

Good summary. What drives me nuts is that there are sections where I literally couldn't tell whether the basic physical act of inputting a command was having any effect on the game whatsoever, that's how hostile this game is to any sense of player agency in the world or "space" of game-play. In some ways it's also fascinating--contrasting it with Dishonored is fun given the similarities in milieu but completely different design philosophies of play.

I don't get when he said "I am Galahad, no more." Isn't his name Galahad Greyson?

During the knighting of Lafayette I believe they explained that their Order names were essentially a bestowed title, so that's a renunciation.

nib95

Banned
I don't get when he said "I am Galahad, no more." Isn't his name Galahad Greyson?

Nope. Galahad is the codename or title he inherited from his previous master. There would have been an original Galahad on the Round Table, who's name has been continuously passed down through the generations with each death, to their apprentice. Grayson was one such apprentice who earned the Galahad name.

SRTtoZ

Sooo...I bought the game regardless of the reviews. It was $39.99 on amazon, its something I wanted, so whatever, bought it, got it today even though ive been addicted to Bloodborne, 2 hours in, its great. I love the entire cinematic approach, love the gunplay, the visuals are out of this world. Way worth it.

Conduit

Banned

He is not "Galahad". Not a REAL name!

Anyway, it's odd for me when someone said that ending is terrible in The Order.. How someone can expect something from ending when there will be a sequel. Ending in first game will be beginning in next sequel. Same thing in GOW II and GOW III for example. End in GOW II ( what a terrible ending dammit :p) was the beginning in GOW III.

So my save data for the a game has just up and fucking vanished. WTH

I had just got the airship to drop the sonic resonator thing. How far in was I.

Top Bottom