• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
13:00 GMT I believe

Can't wait to pick this up on the way home from work tomorrow. I'm dying for a linear shooter after all the open-world collect-a-thons I have been playing recently.

R_Deckard

Well I have now played this game and I have to say it is a new benchmark in Visuals no doubt.

I have not finished it yet but played a good 5-6 hours(on hard, no aim assist), the opening section which needs to not be spoiled is so mesmerising and really is like NOTHING you have ever seen in a real-time game. The IQ is near faultless and the animation, details and sheer seamless flow from game, cinematic, game is superb. Even if you try to pick fault you struggle, the superb use of Cubemaps rather than a crappy looking SSR is in many games pays huge benefits, and the AO capsule reflections are used extensively in the game for so many objects and lighting as a whole is superb.

Gun play is satisfying if at times a little clunky but always a good feeling when pulled off well. My biggest gripe is some choices in the game disappoint at times (I don't want to spoil it for anyone) and the opening section can feel dragged out but overall flow of the game, narrative and characters is great but it does spend IMOP slightly too much time on that. It is aware of the needs of us Hardcore gamers and the need to look, feel and touch and the amount work in the details is highly commendable. Again I cannot stress enough that Animation as much as Visual work (and of course Post Processing effects) are the 2 biggest, hugest leaps this game has, you will forget you are playing a game as it all becomes a Movie like CGI visuals at all times.

I just wish they did not have the bloody prompts on all the time along with the (like I say) some of the choices at times can or at least did disappoint me.

But the best thing I can say is I loved what I played and I did not want to put the pad down but bed and worked called, eager to get back on tonight and see where it all leads. It has to get a set of sequels and Galahad, Igraine (she is a real strong female character which I really like) and Lafayette is the comic relief but a very charismatic with a great VO actor which they all have throughout. As far as my expectations it hit and exceeded them (Visually it does exceed I think all) but a "Hardcore" mode would be great with no Hud,Prompts ...hmmmm yes please RaD...

MOjHgoA.gif

Withnail

This game really gets some people hot under the collar huh.

Looking forward to forming my own opinion when I get my copy later.

Well I have now played this game and I have to say it is a new benchmark in Visuals no doubt.

I have not finished it yet but played a good 5-6 hours, the opening section which needs to not be spoiled is so mesmerising and really is like NOTHING you have ever seen in a real-time game. The IQ is near faultless and the animation, details and sheer seamless flow from game, cinematic, game is superb. Even if you try to pick fault you struggle, the superb use of Cubemaps rather than a crappy looking SSR is in many games pays huge benefits, and the AO capsule reflections are used extensively in the game for so many objects and lighting as a whole is superb.

Gun play is satisfying if at times a little clunky but always a good feeling when pulled off well. My biggest gripe is some choices in the game disappoint at times (I don't want to spoil it for anyone) and the opening section can feel dragged out but overall flow of the game, narrative and characters is great but it does spend IMOP slightly too much time on that. It is aware of the needs of us Hardcore gamers and the need to look, feel and touch and the amount work in the details is highly commendable. Again I cannot stress enough that Animation as much as Visual work (and of course Post Processing effects) are the 2 biggest, hugest leaps this game has, you will forget you are playing a game as it all becomes a Movie like CGI visuals at all times.

I just wish they did not have the bloody prompts on all the time along with the (like I say) some of the choices at times can or at least did disappoint me.

But the best thing I can say is I loved what I played and I did not want to put the pad down but bed and worked called, eager to get back on tonight and see where it all leads. It has to get a set of sequels and Galahad, Igraine (she is a real strong female character which I really like) and Lafayette is the comic relief but a very charismatic with a great VO actor which they all have throughout. As far as my expectations it hit and exceeded them (Visually it does exceed I think all) but a "Hardcore" mode would be great with no Hud,Prompts ...hmmmm yes please RaD...

MOjHgoA.gif

They're using some for of SSR though for the reflections of people walking down the street, you can't do that with cube maps.

Corpsepyre

Banned

I have not finished it yet but played a good 5-6 hours(on hard, no aim assist), the opening section which needs to not be spoiled is so mesmerising and really is like NOTHING you have ever seen in a real-time game. The IQ is near faultless and the animation, details and sheer seamless flow from game, cinematic, game is superb. Even if you try to pick fault you struggle, the superb use of Cubemaps rather than a crappy looking SSR is in many games pays huge benefits, and the AO capsule reflections are used extensively in the game for so many objects and lighting as a whole is superb.

MOjHgoA.gif

Any good bosses?

WITHE1982

Nice impressions thanks. Which chapter are you up to? I'm planning on taking my sweet ass time with this one. Hoping I can drag it out for at least 10-12 hours but, given my style of play, that'll not be a problem. I'm gonna look at EVERYTHING!

R_Deckard

They're using some for of SSR though for the reflections of people walking down the street, you can't do that with cube maps.

No the Reflections are from AO capsule's that project onto objects, this also used on the ground not only in puddles but also on reflective floor's giving you a correct depth, geometry reflection based on the actual angle. It works so much better than SSR and achieves the actual reflection based on the angle that SSR could not and does not suffer the wipe in/out that SSR has.

R_Deckard

Any good bosses?

Yes, at least so far and
This is one of the area's that I mean when I say disappointed me a little but I have not yet played to the end so i imagine more may come.

Nice impressions thanks. Which chapter are you up to? I'm planning on taking my sweet ass time with this one. Hoping I can drag it out for at least 10-12 hours but, given my style of play, that'll not be a problem. I'm gonna look at EVERYTHING!
I am at Chapter 7 and I have spent some time looking around but not as much as I normally do. I want to see where it leads and then go straight back and play again and take even more time. It certainly is a game suited to us that like to admire the view...in spades.

Yes, at least so far and
This is one of the area's that I mean when I say disappointed me a little but I have not yet played to the end so i imagine more may come.

I am at Chapter 7 and I have spent some time looking around but not as much as I normally do. I want to see where it leads and then go straight back and play again and take even more time. It certainly is a game suited to us that like to admire the view...in spades.

How open are the levels, is it just a linear path or can you explore a bit?

AdanVC

Some have said that a photo mode is coming but nothing official has been announced.

Alright I'm off to bed and will probably wake up to a batshit insane 3,000 reply review thread.

Godspeed, GAF.

Photomode will be released with a patch, but we don't know when.

Thanks for answers! Crossing fingers they release it soon in some way. Photo mode fits perfectly for such a gorgeous game like this.

stop shaving your upper lip.

Hahah ok I will but I don't think it will look as cool as the characters in the game ;_; Dem genetics.

R_Deckard

How open are the levels, is it just a linear path or can you explore a bit?

They are open enough for you to wander and admire alot. We are not talking sandbox but alleys, rooms, tunnels can all go off into other small sections to stop a complete "Corridor" feeling from creeping in.

WITHE1982

Excellent news. I'm such a graphics whore and it sound like this game was just made for me. My first run of TLOU took me around 23 hours so I'm definitely gonna get my money's worth out of The Order.

Stike

This will have a photo mode!?! OMG it will be glorious!

It's like having a movie where you can be the DOP... Awesome.

Top Bottom