• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

What I am looking for in impressions of The Order is how detailed the artistic direction is in the game. Like if I go into a dark room with my flashlight, is it filled with unique texture work and little notes and interesting things to analyze?

I love games with a huge amount of unique texture work, mmmm textures

The Last of Us did such a great job of this, and surprisingly actually so did Life is Strange.

God damnit I was gonna stay out of this thread until I got the game but I just can't.

It seems to have calmed down a bit, though.

This thread is a lot better than the reviews thread.

Ironic, since when the slew of bad reviews came in, I thought the review thread was pretty civil and handling it gracefully, but alas, it eventually turned into listz warz, 1/5, HHG, journalist making potshots, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know about him but I certainly don't take many consumer impressions seriously, especially around here.

I have a system in place so I know which consumer impressions to take seriously early on. Later on as there is some distance between a games release and impressions topics, I then evaluate based on how convincing the arguments from any given poster are (whether I agree with their view or not). I am definitely not looking for people to confirm the biases I have, for example.

The Last of Us did such a great job of this, and surprisingly actually so did Life is Strange.

Last of Us had sooo much unique texture work. Sometimes I noticed because the camera was drawn in you'd miss texture work that was unique even on the ceilings of small rooms. I was consistently impressed with how much effort they put into it. Bioshock Infinite is another game was just endless amounts of unique texture work and Ken Levine loves the 'sets as narrative' approach so there's always a fuckton of shit lying around that tells a story about the people who live/lived there.

Nice to hear about Life is Strange, I just got that due to Mess's impressions in the other topic.

nullpoynter

So it's official, can't make AAA games with just 80 people and have it be worth $60. I wonder if the game was $40, would the reviewers have still been harsh.

Either way looking forward to tomorrow.

I don't really put much weight into anything reviewers say anymore. Video game reviewers are just as bad as the movie reviewers. There have been tons of movies that I've loved that have been given bad review scores. The same goes for video games. I don't understand where they get some of their shitty scores half of the time. I get tired when reviewers say something isn't new or innovative. Do games really always need to add something new or be something different? As long as I'm having fun I really don't care. I'll definitely pick up The Order 1886 though. Maybe not at $60 because I don't need games on day one. It's not because I don't think they're worth $60. It's just that I would rather be patient and save some money. It's hard, but in the end I can afford to buy more games. With that said, I love what I've seen of The Order so far and can't wait to play it. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Amir0x

Banned
Normal or hard? I usually start off normal but curious how difficult it is. If normal is too easy ill def start on hard.

For me automatic hardest difficulty.

Actually, speaking of that... Naughty Dog if you're reading this, please have CRUSHING difficulty unlocked from the start. Other people don't have to select it if they don't want, but let me do it!

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I really hope Sony doesn't abandon RAD. The engine work and investment in the Order is absolutely amazing.

If anything, give them another 3 years and beef up their studio...they're highly talented, with the core already established they just need to refine and expand an otherwise very solid new IP mechanically and visually.

Jobbs

Banned
can't wait to play this. tempted to buy it digitally and play it at 3am my time, but that'd be a bit stupid since I already have it coming to me in the mail tomorrow..

This thread is a lot better than the reviews thread.

Ironic, since when the slew of bad reviews came in, I thought the review thread was pretty civil and handling it gracefully, but alas, it eventually turned into listz warz, 1/5, HHG, journalist making potshots, etc.

Was there more than that twitter conversation?

viveks86

Actually, speaking of that... Naughty Dog if you're reading this, please have CRUSHING difficulty unlocked from the start. Other people don't have to select it if they don't want, but let me do it!

This. I didn't play it in crushing because I had no interest in a second play through. As much as I liked it, Uncharted was always a one and done game for me.

I don't really put much weight into anything reviewers say anymore. Video game reviewers are just as bad as the movie reviewers. There have been tons of movies that I've loved that have been given bad review scores. The same goes for video games. I don't understand where they get some of their shitty scores half of the time. I get tired when reviewers say something isn't new or innovative. Do games really always need to add something new or be something different? As long as I'm having fun I really don't care. I'll definitely pick up The Order 1886 though. Maybe not at $60 because I don't need games on day one. It's not because I don't think they're worth $60. It's just that I would rather be patient and save some money. It's hard, but in the end I can afford to buy more games. With that said, I love what I've seen of The Order so far and can't wait to play it. Anyway, that's my two cents.

I wouldn't say they are bad necessarily, though there are of course critics in all mediums that purposely try to make waves.

The problem is they are all just people, and some things are going to appeal to a lot of them, while some of them will not. No matter how bad a movie or game is, there's usually some people that still like it. And even the best products have their critics. In the end no one can really tell you what you will or will not like except yourself.

can't wait to play this. tempted to buy it digitally and play it at 3am my time, but that'd be a bit stupid since I already have it coming to me in the mail tomorrow..

I feel the same way. Gotta resist! After I get done with it, I'll post my pro's and cons and try to really explain what resonated with me, and what just completely falls flat, even if I was ok with those elements otherwise.

I really hope Sony doesn't abandon RAD. The engine work and investment in the Order is absolutely amazing.

If anything, give them another 3 years and beef up their studio...they're highly talented, with the core already established they just need to refine and expand an otherwise very solid new IP mechanically and visually.

I don't think they'll abandon them. There's clearly still promise in the engine, tech, universe, etc.

Then again, I guess that depends on if we're looking at at a Lair/Haze situation. Did Sony abandon the developers of Lair?

I just don't like telling people who is on the list because then people assume I don't like them if they're not on it. I like everyone, but some people are just too happy all the time to ever really critique something the way I need things to be criticized ;)

just check how mad deep and emotionally complex this game must be due to this Official Trailer. I mean that soundtrack was used during the most emotionally devastating scene ever put on television (Six Feet Under *sob sob*), so it must mean big things about that game!

Pfft, way better trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZT6HIwoU4
I get what you are saying but I really love Sigur Ros and this trailer made my day when I saw it at E3.

I don't think they'll abandon them. There's clearly still promise in the engine, tech, universe, etc.

Then again, I guess that depends on if we're looking at at a Lair/Haze situation. Did Sony abandon the developers of Lair?

Yes, yes they did. Developer is Factor 5. It seems after Lair they had a Sony project that got cancelled and then pretty much all their next projects were cancelled. At least that is what Wikipedia shows.

I certainly hope that does not happen to RAD. Disappointingly, I think the chances of Sony purchasing RAD have certainly diminished. During production there were rumors or inferences, but with this release, I don't know if that is going to happen. Media Molecule was a get that occurred after the success of LBP. RAD currently does not have that. However, RAD did produce some spectacular PSP titles for Sony so who knows.

viveks86

Viveks has previously stated his game-crush on Isabeau, so I'm not sure I want to see any of his 'swell' impressions...

Lol. That was based on brief glimpses of spoiler free banter. Let's see if she holds up for the long haul. Otherwise I'm going back to Alyx

GnawtyDog

Banned

I don't think you'll want that ---- not after what I saw on that PSX demo. A.I is pretty good - improved from TLOU. Unless you want to hit some frustrating moments in the campaign and Uncharted should be anything but frustrating, to the contrary, a light-hearted action adventure romp - at least on your first run.

My opinion anyway, as an Uncharted enthusiast. I do think default difficulty in Uncharted/ND games should be "difficult" and not what ND calls "normal".

Catdaddy

Taking half day vacation tomorrow to play The Order, now looks snow/sleet/ice in the afternoon and then a rainy weekend (yay for Tennessee weather), so I'm thinking of playing through The Order and then Bioshock Infinite, which I haven't played in quite a while.

A co-worker today told me the following, I was just so dumbfounded and had no idea what to say, I had to just give them an implied face palm for a good 5 minutes before I called them an idiot.

Coworker: "The Order 1886 is this gaming generation's Metal Gear Rising."

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

They did. Factor 5 went out of business shortly after.

I hope Sony sees the situation completely differently. If anything, I think Sony should acquire RAD now that they've sold off SOE.

A co-worker today told me the following, I was just so dumbfounded and had no idea what to say, I had to just give them an implied face palm for a good 5 minutes before I called them an idiot.

The Order would be lucky to be Metal Gear Rising. Lol. People love that game.

Well, the first question is how did Lair/Haze do financially?

FWIW (100% anecdotal), I do feel like TO will be decently successful sales-wise, at least based off stuff like how many copies of the game is being shipped to/pre-ordered by tier-3 countries like Malaysia. Probably an extremely front-loaded one, but Sony's in a good spot where the state of PS4's success actually empowers them to make a game more successful than it might've been, had it been on a less successful platform.

Well, the first question is how did Lair/Haze do financially?

FWIW (100% anecdotal), I do feel like TO will be decently successful sales-wise, at least based off stuff like how many copies of the game is being shipped to/pre-ordered by tier-3 countries like Malaysia. Probably an extremely front-loaded one, but Sony's in a good spot where the state of PS4's success actually empowers them to make a game more successful than it might've been, had it been on a less successful platform.

For what it's worth, I checked this morning right as reviews hit and The Order was #7 on Amazon's hourly. It's still at #7 at the end of the day, so it doesn't seem like it hit any sort of sales wall just yet.

We'll see what the legs are like, which I imagine will mostly be dependent on word of mouth.

nullpoynter

I wouldn't say they are bad necessarily, though there are of course critics in all mediums that purposely try to make waves.

The problem is they are all just people, and some things are going to appeal to a lot of them, while some of them will not. No matter how bad a movie or game is, there's usually some people that still like it. And even the best products have their critics. In the end no one can really tell you what you will or will not like except yourself.

True, but some of the things the reviewers nitpick about is just crazy. Don't get me started on some of the review systems in use. How do some of them even calculate some of those numbers? Oh well, maybe I'm just getting bitter as I get older :)

GnawtyDog

Banned
For what it's worth, I checked this morning right as reviews hit and The Order was #7 on Amazon's hourly. It's still at #7 at the end of the day, so it doesn't seem like it hit any sort of sales wall just yet.

We'll see what the legs are like, which I imagine will mostly be dependent on word of mouth.

It actually did - in a way. It should of been #1 for the last 3 days least. Taking Infamous SS, Halo:MCC and other titles as example. If we are talking 1 mill within a month at the least.

nib95

Banned
What I am looking for in impressions of The Order is how detailed the artistic direction is in the game. Like if I go into a dark room with my flashlight, is it filled with unique texture work and little notes and interesting things to analyze?

I love games with a huge amount of unique texture work, mmmm textures

Yes. Absolutely yes. The attention to detail and art here is basically second to none. I've already spent way too much time analysing textures, art work, posters, random objects, furniture, materials, playing with lighting etc etc.

Examples.

TheOrder_1886_20150219160448-1.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219144534.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219152923.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219151414.jpg~original

Yes. Absolutely yes. The attention to detail and art here is basically second to none. I've already spent way too much time analysing textures, art work, posters, random objects, furniture, materials, playing with lighting etc etc.

Examples.

I'll spend hours just admiring the world. A lot of cinematic action games has me just wandering around admiring the world, like Alan Wake, Uncharted, and Tomb Raider.

Lol. I have now read this game compared to Max Payne 2, RE4, The Last of Us, and Metal Gear Rising. If I bought games based on crazy people comparing them to things I love vs. what my eyes and ears tell me, I'd have like 6 copies of The Order already.

Can't play until after work and family stuff, is Uncharted 1 an apt comparison? More so than MGR at least I expect lol.

100% this. Only time it should be locked away is if it's balls out hard as fuck where you will die 50x more often than on the lower difficulty.

Is there something wrong with the audio settings? It only give me the option of stereo audio for speakers or headphones... There is no surround option. Unless I'm missing something?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

why would they abandon a studio when the game isnt even out yet, the reviews have been meh but the game could still sell well

kyser73

Can't play until after work and family stuff, is Uncharted 1 an apt comparison? More so than MGR at least I expect lol.

100% this. Only time it should be locked away is if it's balls out hard as fuck where you will die 50x more often than on the lower difficulty.

You're lucky - you're still an hour ahead of me so you're only 5 hours or so off getting to play. *shakes fist*

Amir0x

Banned
Pfft, way better trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZT6HIwoU4
I get what you are saying but I really love Sigur Ros and this trailer made my day when I saw it at E3.

Haha, even the Sigur Ros song is so tonally wrong for the actual game we got with Prince of Persia 2008. Ubisoft makes decent trailers compared to some companies, but it does amuse me how crazy off tone they are for so many of the games they pair with these hilariously inappropriate songs.

This. I didn't play it in crushing because I had no interest in a second play through. As much as I liked it, Uncharted was always a one and done game for me.

I still don't actually understand Naughty Dog's excuse for this. I read it before, was something like they don't want first time players to have a bad first impression. But Christ, just how dumb do you think players are? I understand your bizarre desire to hold players hands is partly responsible for your dumb philosophy behind automated platforming and insultingly easy puzzles and obstacles ("dying sucks," said Arne. True in life, not in games. Risk means enjoy Rewards more, and teaches you fundamental lessons about the skills you need and how the game needs you to utilize its gameplay logic). But really, do you believe gamers are so dumb that if you put a prompt that said...

"You just selected crushing, the most punishing difficulty this game has to offer. Please be aware that this is meant for expert players only. You may change the difficulty at any time in the options, but doing so will cancel the attempt at the crushing trophy."

...that they wouldn't immediately understand what was going on and change to an easier difficulty if they were so concerned?

Examples.

Most impressive indeed, except that last photo. Poor geometry in spots and mediocre brick texture there, tsc tsc. Yeah, I'll definitely add this to my game artistry tour when it hits the $19.99 or $29.99 with Best Buy Rewards card.

I don't think you'll want that ---- not after what I saw on that PSX demo. A.I is pretty good - improved from TLOU. Unless you want to hit some frustrating moments in the campaign and Uncharted should be anything but frustrating, to the contrary, a light-hearted action adventure romp - at least on your first run.

My opinion anyway, as an Uncharted enthusiast. I do think default difficulty in Uncharted/ND games should be "difficult" and not what ND calls "normal".
I just start TLoU on Grounded to kill time while waiting for The Order and lol it is freaking hard man. Just getting one hit and I am being a sandbag for grunts. So yeah, I don't think ND should set difficulty to "Crushing", "Grounded" or whatsoever as default for Uncharted 4. I don't want to reset too many times in a single section. It is not fun to play It is annoying and bothersome :O

RangerBAD

S-S-Surely he meant the opposite, right...?

viveks86

I still don't actually understand Naughty Dog's excuse for this. I read it before, was something like they don't want first time players to have a bad first impression. But Christ, just how dumb do you think players are? I understand your bizarre desire to hold players hands is partly responsible for your dumb philosophy behind automated platforming and insultingly easy puzzles and obstacles ("dying sucks," said Arne. True in life, not in games. Risk means enjoy Rewards more, and teaches you fundamental lessons about the skills you need and how the game needs you to utilize its gameplay logic). But really, do you believe gamers are so dumb that if you put a prompt that said...

"You just selected crushing, the most punishing difficulty this game has to offer. Please be aware that this is meant for expert players only. You may change the difficulty at any time in the options, but doing so will cancel the attempt at the crushing trophy."

...that they wouldn't immediately understand what was going on and change to an easier difficulty if they were so concerned?

Pretty sure it's PR talk for "we need to give people reasons to play more than once". Glad that they had grounded mode enabled from the get go on TLOU:R. I went straight for it. And it felt good!

I just played a few more hours tonight. I think I'm nearing the end now.

I was really liking it yesterday. Today, I'm loving it. This game is definitely an early contender for my GOTY list. I'm really digging the story and the gunfire gameplay has been fantastic. I mean, it's Gears of Wars'ish but it feels different enough to make it stand a part.

I love the world building and universe of this game and I desperately want more of it. I hope the game isn't a complete flop because I want the next Order.

It's amazing how many people complained about broken experiences last year and yet when we get something that is finely tuned as The Order, it ends up being critically panned.

BokehKing

Banned
Did that 'lair' studio have successful games before that entry?
. From what people are saying RAD has made great games in the past.

Sony might see the sales #'s and say fuck the reviews and still pursue a sequel

Top Bottom