• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Dominator

Anyone recently tried to order online at best buy? Its sold out for PICK UP in store! What the hell? Did they under ship copies or selling like hot cakes?

Edit: read its disabled when store is closed...the fuck BB? Fuck off.
Who do you want to process the order at the store if nobody is there? Makes sense.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Who do you want to process the order at the store if nobody is there? Makes sense.

You should still be able to order it though. I've ordered stuff in the past during closing hours and have the stores put the item for pick up in the morning. Now Best Buy is just potentially losing a sale

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would suggest there are many video game journalists jaded and are out of touch with the average gamer

How many gamers grew up the same time as journalists and those same people may have played more games for their own merit versus someone who has to play every game (even the crap games) to get paid?

It goes both ways. Just because you got the job doesn't mean you know how everyone is going to react. I sit here playing games from 10+ years ago that are fun. They have trial and error and I have to solve puzzles. I like trial and error and some journalists can't stand it. They want it smooth with all the edges rounded off.

I just want to mess around in-game. I can be happy moving a character around firing a shot after a shot. I don't need to run in and do it all, move on, then worry about what I just did. I enjoy the pacing with the game play, not the whole experience flashing before my eyes. I hope I enjoy it regardless of the flaws it has, but then again this industry gave SoM an award for being more repetitive than Batman? JS

kyser73

Options are great and I welcome that. What I don't welcome is compromising the experience for one skill level to accommodate other skill levels. An ideal system would be one that scales well across all of them. Instead all we get is the lowest common denominator with arbitrary damage multipliers slapped on the player and enemies to keep it from becoming a snoozefest for higher skills. That, in my opinion, is a cop out. It's why AI sucks in so many games. They are not given the level of attention that other aspects of game design seem to get.

Well yeah, but writing the kind of AI routines that are that easily scalable is a challenge, and it's one that will by and large be unnoticed by the vast majority of players, not to mention computing resources and so on.

Just beat it. What a god damn terrible ending, final boss and ending sequence. Boo. Seriously. What a shame. More than anything it felt like there were 3 more chapters and it just ends.

Just beat it. What a god damn terrible ending, final boss and ending sequence. Boo. Seriously. What a shame. More than anything it felt like there were 3 more chapters and it just ends.

This seems to be a very common complaint.

I wonder if they ran out of time or if they really wanted to leave it open for that sequel. (Which is dumb because you can leave things "open" and still give a competent ending)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This seems to be a very common complaint.

I wonder if they ran out of time or if they really wanted to leave it open for that sequel. (Which is dumb because you can leave things "open" and still give a competent ending)

They should end the game midgame.. inbetween a firefight, credits start to roll right when you reload. Wouldn't that be something?

I wonder: Would an elderly person like The Order? Does it touch the right stuff for all the people just getting into modern gaming? Like the guy who hasn't played a game since Q*bert in the 80s?

viveks86

Well yeah, but writing the kind of AI routines that are that easily scalable is a challenge, and it's one that will by and large be unnoticed by the vast majority of players, not to mention computing resources and so on.

I don't want to armchair design, but the easiest solution is to come up with more advanced AI routines and then scale down with multipliers for skill, instead of the other way round. That's how all visual aspects of game design are done. Gameplay design, for some reason, has it all backwards. The reason very advanced, complex routines are difficult to write is because they were never given much attention to evolve organically over decades, like other aspects of game creation. And compute resources can't possibly be an excuse. Barring minor nuances, AI hasn't changed much across console generations! It's simply not high priority. And that sucks.

Jobbs

Banned
I would suggest there are many video game journalists jaded and are out of touch with the average gamer

I would guess (this is just idle postulation on my part) that it's common for "professional" reviewers to set games to the easiest setting and just get it over with, identify key points about the game, and process it in the reviewinator.

I'll be playing the game on hard and trying to engage with the game and enjoy it, as I tend to do when I play games. It's really nothing like how a reviewer migth play a game, and this may be why my GOTY 2014, Alien Isolation, was able to be so adored by me despite being so panned by IGN, Gamespot, and Polygon.

Me and professional game journalists have almost nothing in common. I've learned there's usually almost nothing they can offer me whatsoever.

I would guess (this is just idle postulation on my part) that it's common for "professional" reviewers to set games to the easiest setting and just get it over with, identify key points about the game, and process it in the reviewinator.

I'll be playing the game on hard and trying to engage with the game and enjoy it, as I tend to do when I play games. It's really nothing like how a reviewer migth play a game, and this may be why my GOTY 2014, Alien Isolation, was able to be so adored by me despite being so panned by IGN, Gamespot, and Polygon.

Me and professional game journalists have almost nothing in common. I've learned there's usually almost nothing they can offer me whatsoever.

I'd have to agree with you here. I like reading what games journos write about previews of games but that's about it now. I tend to disagree with why they like or dislike games. I'm setting this bad boy on hard as soon as I get home from work tomorrow and I'm gonna enjoy some single player action. I'm gonna explore every nook and cranny. I'm pretty excited for this.

kyser73

I don't want to armchair design, but the easiest solution is to come up with more advanced AI routines and then scale down with multipliers for skill, instead of the other way round. That's how all visual aspects of game design are done. Gameplay design, for some reason, has it all backwards. The reason very advanced, complex routines are difficult to write is because they were never given much attention to evolve organically over decades, like other aspects of game creation. And compute resources can't possibly be an excuse. Barring minor nuances, AI hasn't changed much across console generations! It's simply not high priority. And that sucks.

TBH I don't know enough about AI coding to answer this - I do know that a neuroscience mate of mine who writes AI routines for medical robots reckons that you can't isolate individual elements of AI and just dial them up/down, and that the code he writes is 'holistic' - change one setting and it affects others. So for example, you could change the pathfinding 'setting' in the code, but it might also affect placement awareness, so by making one element slightly easier it might have a big impact on something else.

This shit is a common theme lately, lackluster endings are the worst. Already preparing myself to not like the ending of this.

Whew. Few hours down.

Really enjoying myself And the lore.

Have been spending way too much time taking screenshots as well. Game is phenomenally beautiful. My word.

Acting is great, gunplay feels nice and the little touches are super fantastic.

For example, I love reading notes in games. I love the newspaper articles in the Order for the bit of story they provide, but what I love most I'd the fact that the wording and phrasing of said articles are straight out of that time period. Little nuances in sentence structure and even naming are done so well.

Maybe it's because Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is one of my favorite writers and all of the Sherlock Holmes stories hold a special place in my heart. But I get that vibe from this game.

Can't wait to keep on tomorrow and through the weekend.

Well done so far RaD.

Brunobi02

Neo Member
They should end the game midgame.. inbetween a firefight, credits start to roll right when you reload. Wouldn't that be something?

I wonder: Would an elderly person like The Order? Does it touch the right stuff for all the people just getting into modern gaming? Like the guy who hasn't played a game since Q*bert in the 80s?

qbert-rebooted-ankuendigung1.jpg

Having played some of this game now I feel the reviews are harsh but fair. I'm enjoying it more than many others but still, at it's worst it's ~6 with a bit too much ''exploration'' without really anything worth exploring outside of the graphox and at it's best it is a solid 7 third person shooter. Uncharted 4 demo alone ate RADs lunch.

I just feel that this game is exactly what you think it will be going in unless there is something radical in the latter half of the game. I definately would suggest waiting a bit for the price to go down but at the same time I feel you should give the game a chance once the price is right since the setting actually does carry the game quite well and there is a passable shooter under all of it.

I seriously think RAD should've just thrown in a MP mode just for the hell of it. The shooting mechanics look competent enough for such a mode. Basically copy TLOU or Gears.

Something! How I clamor for Uncharted MP on PS4. Oh well, hopefully UC4 is (who am I kidding I'll be all over UC4 MP).

The shooting feels very responsive for a 30fps game.

I'll just add the load times from main menu to gameplay is literally a few seconds.

I'm 3 hours in the story and i think in a lot of ways it is this gen's Resistance. Game has many strong points, many unrealised good ideas and falls flat in many ways. But i'm in love with the setting (so many nice alt-history touches everywhere), visuals and overall feeling, that i think my full price copy worthed it totally.

First of all the visuals. It's just the next level in all departments. And this has nothing about tech. Lighting aside the game uses fairly familiar techniques. But the art integrity, the overall attention to detail and history (those reflections on a fat victorian printing paint!). Sometimes Order easily jumping outside the uncanny valley and playing, yes, on a field of big-budget movies visually. Maybe i'm just too idealistic, but the visuals (no tech but design, locations, details) is very strong point of the game that is hard to ignore.

Then the setting. New Indian Company, Jack The Ripper, AC vs DC: all those history mentions on par with visuals making this alt-history world very believable and enjoyable to walk, shoot, and watch QTEs in. Yes, i'm a lover of all victorian, gothic and bearder stuff so hell i am biased. But once again, the sheer amount of attention that was put into setting is something i cannot meh about.

Gameplay-wise the game is OK. Shooting is good, the weight of the guns is real and the sound-design is amazing (i'm palying in Pulse Elite with TLoU profile). Typical average TPS to be honest, but call me a turd if you didn't saw all that in the pre-release campaign. Blackwater feature is great and the cruel gibs is something i missed in modern games.

The main problem here - RAD inexperience with big-budget games pacing. Tranisiton to cutscenes is too cruel and sometimes totally unnecessary. I can open the door myself, thanks. Second problem - battle arenas. They're just flat. I wanna more because as i said above the shooting itslef is very solid. And of course too many pistols and SMGs in my arsenal, i want more ways to play with variety of guns and more scenarious where i can use awesome arc gun. Had no problems with QTEs btw. The typical ones, i have no problems with that part of the industry at all.

Bottom line - it's 7's or 8's game. Solid. No this is not nearly a disaster like Ryse or Colonial Marines (as mainstream media is trying to tell you) but of course this is not a system-seller wonder and a masterpiece. I'm sure if Sony greenlit a sequel we will get a great game, like Resistence 3 over 1 and 2. So give it a shot even if you rent it, it is worth a try anyway IMO.

When in cover is there a way to move to another section like go around a table? Other games such as watch dogs allow you to move by pressing the x button to move to another spot, but I can't find any mechanic in this game like that.

I feel like this game is a victim of circumstance. If it were coming out at a time when there was a healthy games library on the system and people weren't starving some new shit to play, people would be giving this an 8 or 8.5. But it's judged more harshly since people have been waiting so long for the next AAA game to drop

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

That's the game I'm playing till I get The Order on Sunday. On that note: Diagonals are hard to do without a joystick.

I'm just saying, show someone who might not be into video games "The Order: 1886" and see what they think without the buzz. This will probably tie me over in that certain "theme & setting" for a while.

Edit: Until Bloodborne.

Mik2121

Played through the first 40 minutes of game at work (good thing about working making games!) and visually was great, but the gameplay was kinda... boring. Was it me, or is the beginning kind of boring? I hope it gets better afterwards.

Today when I get home I'll play it again with actual volume and relaxed :)

This has to be at least the $10+ dollars I was gonna spend on it with this gift card I got as a gift from the company I work for...

I mean the reviews are alarming but I'm down with some linear, short, story driven, graphically beautiful TPS action for my PS4.

viveks86

I feel like this game is a victim of circumstance. If it were coming out at a time when there was a healthy games library on the system and people weren't starving some new shit to play, people would be giving this an 8 or 8.5. But it's judged more harshly since people have been waiting so long for the next AAA game to drop

Eh? If people were starved, wouldn't they do the exact opposite of what you just said? Anyway, brb. Will find out in 37 minutes.

This has to be at least the $10+ dollars I was gonna spend on it with this gift card I got as a gift from the company I work for...

I mean the reviews are alarming but I'm down with some linear, short, story driven, graphically beautiful TPS action for my PS4.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. Paying $35 (+tax) for it myself and pretty excited to try out, even if it disappoints.

Top Bottom