• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

How are you getting it that cheap?

$25 off with Power Up rewards at GameStop. It's 25,000 points for the coupon.

Only problem I might have is that it said it can't be used on reservations. Hopefully that just means I can't use it as money/credit down, but valid when I make the actual purchase.

Edit: May get it for $30 since there's a $5 coupon as well (5,000). Mostly just cleaning it all out since Amazon has taken over due to the 30 minutes it takes to get to GS.

How can I get it for $40 digital?

Asian region store's PS+ discount. Basically every first-party Sony title gets a 10% or so discount for early purchase.

So yeah, it's kinda not worth it. You have to purchase a separate Asia PS+ to enjoy that 10% benefit.

fRvlp9C.jpg

Skux

I'm a few hours in.

Visuals are just ridiculous. Nevermind consoles or PCs, this is the best looking video game that currently exists. The post processing effects and anti-aliasing add such a professional gloss to the image, I know people say it all the time, but it's like watching a CG film. There are no jaggies, no stray pixels, no blurry textures, no strange artifacts. Even the chromatic aberration is used tastefully, adding a soft coloured blur at the edges of the screen - not a tacky hard afterimage like many other games. The depth of field and motion blur is the best I've ever seen.

I mean, holy shit, guys. (minor location spoilers from the first couple of hours)
http://i.imgur.com/boM0whQ.png
http://i.imgur.com/SkOVbnA.png
http://i.imgur.com/GVSz2qT.png
http://i.imgur.com/OZZGDWN.png
http://i.imgur.com/GVSz2qT.png

My one gameplay complaint is that the camera moves far too close to Galahad when you're in cover. It's hard to get a sense of situational awareness (and see those pesky shotgunners) unless you pop out of cover to aim and risk getting shot (I'm playing on hard). In some cases I've just stayed out of strict cover and used obstacles as "natural" cover.

So far the combat scenarios are nothing special. You basically get taken from room to room and kill all the bad guys. The gunplay of aiming, firing and shifting cover is very good, but the context around battles needs that extra "set piece" oomph to make it more exciting.

fernoca

$25 off with Power Up rewards at GameStop. It's 25,000 points for the coupon.

Only problem I might have is that it said it can't be used on reservations. Hopefully that just means I can't use it as money/credit down, but valid when I make the actual purchase.

Edit: May get it for $30 since there's a $5 coupon as well (5,000). Mostly just cleaning it all out since Amazon has taken over due to the 30 minutes it takes to get to GS.
Yeah, you can use it when you purchase it. Can't combine coupons though.

10 more minutes to unlock!

Tizoc

Asian region store's PS+ discount. Basically every first-party Sony title gets a 10% or so discount for early purchase.

So yeah, it's kinda not worth it. You have to purchase a separate Asia PS+ to enjoy that 10% benefit.

fRvlp9C.jpg

Isn't there a Plus trial for Asia PSN?

farisr

Played for a few hours, taking turns with friends who knew nothing about the game. Can definitely see where the pacing complaints are coming from, honestly there shouldn't be so many slow-walking sections, they're getting annoying. Some instances where I'm like, okay, rather than have me slowly walk for a few seconds there in between cutscenes, why not just make the whole damn thing a cutscene and be done with it?

The visuals, cutscenes, world seem good so far. The gunplay feels good as well. I was playing on the projector and pretty much forgot about the black bars. Friends didn't seem to notice either that the game had black bars.

The
thermite
gun was really fun to use. Stopped right at the beginning of the airship level that was shown off at PSX. I do hope that the ratio of slow-walk to gunplay is not the same for the remainder of the game and the amount of slow-walk is toned down.

Just finished Chapter 9. Sure, the game is no masterpiece, but how some sites scored it below 50% is past me. I suppose it helps that I don't mind slow-walking/cutscenes/QTEs...

I imagine that most of the time RaD spent on the project was on the phenomenal engine/technical aspects of the game. If that is the case, I have very high hopes that in a sequel (if they make one), many of the problems in this first iteration may be vastly improved upon.

I seriously think RAD should've just thrown in a MP mode just for the hell of it. The shooting mechanics look competent enough for such a mode. Basically copy TLOU or Gears.

Something! How I clamor for Uncharted MP on PS4. Oh well, hopefully UC4 is (who am I kidding I'll be all over UC4 MP).

I think a slapped on MP mode would be a fine idea. look how gears1 turned out, apparently that MP mode was a last minute thing Epic threw together.

Hasney

So I have detailed tracking information for the £2 face towel I ordered to get the game for £25, but not the game itself. Not totally confident of getting it today.

Kambing

Anyone else feel that the game appears a little blurry when in regular camera distance from character? I swear i am unable to really describe it too well. When i press L2 and zoom in on textures they appear sharp and top notch. But despite the very clean/cg like image quality, i feel like its a little blurry (perhaps soft is the right word) ?

Flunkie

Banned
I can't wait to pop this in when it gets here later! Just hope UPS doesn't show up with it and need a signature (they'd done that with Best Buy stuff before).

DOWN

Banned
So Is there no surround option? Only stereo? Odd since the soundtrack app for pre-ordering does include a surround mode.

Hasney

Why can I not run? I mean, I know why in the opening, but now I'm at the first real part of the game, I was hoping the run would work.

banagher

So, can someone that finished the game tell me
is the Sackboy missable
?

My GF will love it.

While it is technically missable, you'd have to be paying like zero attention.
It's in a pretty obvious spot, right in the direction of progression through to the next area so shouldn't be an issue.

thebloo

While it is technically missable, you'd have to be paying like zero attention.
It's in a pretty obvious spot, right in the direction of progression through to the next area so shouldn't be an issue.

Can you please tell me what chapter? I'm not as young as I used to.

Thank you.

ShutterMunster

For $16 I ain't mad at it! It took me about 55 minutes to get through chapter one. The graphics are just out of this world insane. The lighting, the materials, the art assets. This is the most beautiful game I've ever laid eyes on. I'll let the rest of you debate technical merits. I've failed two QTEs, both by being a bit oblivious. I'm playing on Hard and it doesn't seem too difficult, normal must be a breeze. First encounters with the three Lycans was a bit of a letdown though. Some of the mechanics seem a bit lazy.

FireSol

Thermite rifle is great, I really like the concept behind it. Also AI is not so domb(on hard) they flank you, they try to suppres you while other enemies change teir position and the most important they knew how what grenade is and how to use it to make your life harder. And I have shotgunners

First encounters with the three Lycans was a bit of a letdown though. Some of the mechanics seem a bit lazy.

I have to agree with that! But for me it's more lack of experiense than lazyness

Skux

Anyone else feel that the game appears a little blurry when in regular camera distance from character? I swear i am unable to really describe it too well. When i press L2 and zoom in on textures they appear sharp and top notch. But despite the very clean/cg like image quality, i feel like its a little blurry (perhaps soft is the right word) ?

There's a lot of effects going on to smoothen the image, namely the depth of field, with a bit of chromatic aberration. There's also a very slight lens distortion effect. The soft look is definitely intentional to reduce the harshness of aliasing which gives an image a videogamey look.

DOWN

Banned
Uh seriously, I was all for the filmic vision, but stereo sound? No surround/5.1 mix? Why is that not an option?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I only played 15 minutes, but that balcony scene... the visuals are indeed another level.

The QTEs so far indeed do seem ... unnecessary, to put it generously.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Uh seriously, I was all for the filmic vision, but stereo sound? No surround/5.1 mix? Why is that not an option?

Also saw that, and suspected some kind of bug. Did not have time to investigate. Does the game still output surround sound, or is this a genuine bug?

drotahorror

What's the deal with the audio settings? Only 2 options? Stereo - Headset and Stereo - Speakers? I have a 5.1 setup.

So Is there no surround option? Only stereo? Odd since the soundtrack app for pre-ordering does include a surround mode.

Yeah found that fucking bizarre.

Also saw that, and suspected some kind of bug. Did not have time to investigate. Does the game still output surround sound, or is this a genuine bug?

Wow that sucks, it didn't even cross my mind that a game in 2015 wouldn't have surround sound.

I was playing with headphones on but switched to my system.

Still outputs in Surround regardless of what the audio setting says. Actually sounds amazing. Very good sound mix.

*audio settings in PS4 are set to linear PCM.

wotta

"Video game journalism"

DmOfrER.png

(Adam is the reviewer from Digital Trends)

I think people should be making more of this. It is disgusting behaviour for journalists from a professional outfit to be shitting on a game like this in public. Sure criticise it in a balanced review, but to do this is out of order.

Kotaku are always one of the first on the moral high ground when anyone else does anything wrong, so they should be totally called out for this. I think it's disgusting.

Yes. Absolutely yes. The attention to detail and art here is basically second to none. I've already spent way too much time analysing textures, art work, posters, random objects, furniture, materials, playing with lighting etc etc.

Examples.
TheOrder_1886_20150219152923.jpg~original

Just look at Galahad sniffing that sofa fabric.

Top Bottom