• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

- Love the shooting, love most of the weapons. RAD, I would pay good money for an Arena Scoring Challenge or Horde Mode DLC

You've already paid good money! I wouldn't be surprised if they came out for free though after seeing this reception. I wonder if RAD have DLC plans like that in place though, or it's going to be full steam ahead for the sequel instead.

Palocca

You've already paid good money! I wouldn't be surprised if they came out for free though after seeing this reception. I wonder if RAD have DLC plans like that in place though, or it's going to be full steam ahead for the sequel instead.

I'm really hoping that they add some small patch that lets us skip cutscenes, a photo mode, and things like that. An epilogue chapter would be nice too.

Just finished on hard at a little over 10 hours...holy fuck that last hour of the game was incredible to me. Wow...

I'm dumbfounded at the reviews. Fucking 1 out of 5's? Are you shitting me?

The other review scores I can see where they were coming from, but the 1 out of 5 or the 2 out of 5's I seriously cannot wrap my head around. Guess they hated it that much.

bombshell

Just finished on hard at a little over 10 hours...holy fuck that last hour of the game was incredible to me. Wow...

Yeah, I can understand the average 6's or whatever reviews giving fair criticisms, but the lowest reviews on metacritic (a 1/5 and some 4/10's) to me seem like they really just wanted to shit on the type of game this is and not at all giving credit for what it achieves.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just finished it right now, took me exactly 9 hours and 10 minutes on hard with aim assist off, I actually timed myself, yes haha

Sticking to what I said before, this was the most enjoyable game I have played this gen thus far. Really enjoyed my time with it, I just came away with wanting more and few games have had that affect on me. There are definite flaws, but all of those have been touched on already. The biggest one to me is that it ended way too quickly, could have done with another 1 or 2 hours and I'm not saying that because the game length was short, but because they could and should have wrapped up a few more things story wise. The story was good, but not great, and that is mainly due to the questions they left on the table. I really, truly hope the game sells well, I need another game like this and the story has me invested so it better happen.

I know all this is not the popular opinion, but I have the itch to play the game through again, even after only having one trophy to collect.

Unpopular or not, you are not the only one liking this game a lot :).

benzy

Yeah, some of those reviews sound like straight up hating. There's plenty of good things about 1886 mixed in with some notable flaws. But a 20% is ridiculous.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, I can understand the average 6's or whatever reviews giving fair criticisms, but the lowest reviews on metacritic (a 1/5 and some 4/10's) to me seem like they really just wanted to shit on the type of game this is and not at all giving credit for what it achieves.

Especially when you see broken games at launch having a higher Metacritic score... Still, yes... Some scores really seem just clickbaits in disguise.

Spoo

Just thought I'd drop in here to reaffirm what a lot of people here already know at this point. The Order is actually a pretty fun game. Not a perfect one by any stretch, but I enjoyed my 8 or so hours with it (on my first playthrough), I liked the characters, and when they started introducing more interesting weapons my interest in the core gameplay skyrocketed.

By the end, I wanted more, but in a "I can't wait to play the sequel" kind of way. If only because I suspect it will be a much better game, but also because I didn't feel cheated by what was there. Without spoilers, I am okay with the conclusion.

I can see myself replaying the game in a few months time (I have gone through it nearly twice). I'm not going to list my complaints with it, since I've seen them listed in a more concise manner elsewhere in this thread, and I agree with a vast majority of them.

Overall, though, yeah. Happy enough with the game. Hope RAD gets to make another, and fix the issues (and of course include a MP so I can light you guys on fire).

Yeah that's not an honest opinion. That's an insult.
Maybe he needed clicks, maybe he wants to be considered very critical badass journalist, maybe he's allergic to QTE-s or maybe he just needs to go back to kindergarten to learn about how to use reviewscores.

I can understand a lot of the criticism the game got and i can understand people would also have liked more value. Some extra mode, maybe some co-op, etc. But come the fuck on.

Yeah, some of those reviews sound like straight up hating. There's plenty of good things about 1886 mixed in with some notable flaws. But a 20% is ridiculous.

It's almost like it's cool to shit on this game.
It's not cool

Can you imagine how nuts multiplayer would be with these OP weapons lol. The whole level would be on fire from thermite spam.

It would be glorious

Skux

Can you imagine how nuts multiplayer would be with these OP weapons lol. The whole level would be on fire from thermite spam.

I honestly wouldn't want a story co-op mode, adds too many restrictions to the story they try to tell. I would take a horde mode in a heartbeat though and MP, cause the combat in this is quite fun

Skux

That's a wrap! Last collectible was in the library - there's an invisible time limit when you enter the room until a cutscene plays so you might miss one or two.

Checkpoints within chapter select is a great idea, not just for collectibles but being able to get to your favourite scenes or battles.

jX4Y0KP.png

rdrr gnr

If there seems to be a discrepancy between the posts here and the review scores (barring any extremes) it's likely explained by the type of people posting -- not some mass misunderstanding by the reviewers. The people in here purchased the game fairly early (probably on a pre-order or Day 1) despite the mixed reception. Then also consider people the people who are apathetic or may be waiting for this to drop to $20. Pair that with what might encourage someone to post as or after they play it, say, because they were surprised by reception despite their own experience thus are inspired to post as to correct for that discrepancy. This is generally why the reputation a game retains often comes at the tail end of when that game is being actively discussed because by that time more people have had the chance to play it outside of those who have maybe a predilection to enjoy it or at least focus on its redeeming qualities.
I honestly wouldn't want a story co-op mode, adds too many restrictions to the story they try to tell. I would take a horde mode in a heartbeat though and MP, cause the combat in this is quite fun
The story they were able to tell here then is fairly unrestricted yet not noteworthy.

How about a singleplayer story and a coop side campaign, like splinter-cell conviction?

I'd definitely take that

The story they were able to tell here then is fairly unrestricted yet not noteworthy.

I enjoyed it, could have been better, too many loose ends, but overall I thought it was above what we get in games usually. My point is you wouldn't be able to have moments like where
Galahad is by himself in the hospital and the Elder starts chasing him
I just feel like it would ruin the feel of a bunch of scenes.

Future

Just finished. Not deserving of the extreme hate, but I can certainly understand the aggregate score. If you don't get into the story at all you aren't gonna like this.

Story picks up a bit later. Although there are some obvious twists that take a long time to reveal themselves, and the beginning half seems random. Characters have long boring conversations frequently in the beginning seemingly cuz there isn't much to talk about. Forced to walk slow from a cut scene right into another cut scene .... come on guys. But as said I did become genuinely interested about 60% through

Was exploring a bit at first but eventually stopped. Hardly anything to find, red herring things to pick up that mean nothing, navigation is extremely slow, and tons of stuff to read that was... Simply hard to read? I squint read the first newspaper and gave up on everything else. Listened to one recording but stopped that too once I saw I couldn't walk and listen at the same time

Shooting mechanics are passable. The two special guns are rare to use and honestly not that good. Felt like I just spray shit into the field and hope things die and don't really feel the connection. Damn those cheapo armor shotgun dudes. Damn the stealth and werewolf fights

I hated those black bars. That combined with a giant player on screen meant the dudes head sometimes would block my reticle. Hard to see over cover sometimes making the stealth sequences much more annoying than they had to be.

MavFan619

Banned
I'd definitely take that

I enjoyed it, could have been better, too many loose ends, but overall I thought it was above what we get in games usually. My point is you wouldn't be able to have moments like where
Galahad is by himself in the hospital and the Elder starts chasing him
I just feel like it would ruin the feel of a bunch of scenes.
Even prerelease someone said they would have liked co-op and I pointed to that section and said it would kill the feel, so I agree. In all honesty if a sequel had these elements I wouldn't be mad but for how they present this game specifically it didn't feel necessary personally at least.

Marvel

could never
I liked the stealth parts, the executions you can do are brutal the cover mechanic is solid so getting caught shouldn't be an issue. I also loved the new weapon you get later on in the game for such a style. Really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Future

You can peek by pressing the left stick up, you know that right?

Yup. Still damn annoying though. This is the only 3rd person shooter I've felt that ever had this annoyance. Vision area is just so narrow. There were times you'd be up high peeking over cover shooting down and have such a tiny viewable space.

Black bars weren't the worst part of the game by far but I'm glad this isn't the norm for all games

Oooh I just started playing this last night and only got 45 or so minutes in but I'm loving everything so far.

The atmosphere and lore are amazing and story seems great so far. (Lady Igraine is already my favourite character lol)

And boy are the shooting and cover mechanics super solid! RAD did their homework in this area really well. Can't wait to play a little more during today

Hoon

Neo Member
I've just finished it. The first half of the game did drag on and I actually did think it was a bit of a borefest. The visuals were fantastic throughout -- it feels like I've just finished watching a long movie, and the story really picked up at the end. But that's the problem, it only really picked up at the end. It did grow on me, and I'd definitely rate it higher than the average review.

Schryver

Just finished chapter 9. Holy shit now that was good. New plot revelations and lots of solid shooting sections. Shows what the game is capable of. Looking forward to finishing

Future

Actually didn't mind the length at all. For a story heavy game like this I'm not sure how much more dialogue you need. It actually went on a bit longer than I expected to close some story threads out

Can anyone advise how far through the game I current am at, just started chapter eleven. Aware how many chapters there in total, but as the length of each of them differs vastly, not sure how far into the game I am regarding actual gameplay.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can anyone advise how far through the game I current am at, just started chapter eleven. Aware how many chapters there in total, but as the length of each of them differs vastly, not sure how far into the game I am regarding actual gameplay.
Very late into the game in terms of actual gameplay. I'd say 11 has the most you'll get from the latter half since it's a slow paced stealth section.

RexNovis

Banned
Negatives:
..Horrible looking ground, especially obvious when Galahad climbs out of the sewers.

errrm

theorder_1886_20150220xp7z.jpg

Yea I think we are gonna have to agree to disagree here. To me, that looks stunning.

Here are my thoughts on the game a copied from the review thread
Having just finished the game I really enjoyed it. I'll be starting my secoond playthrough on hard to wrap up the trophies later today but the following are my takeaways from my roughly 11 hour playthrough one

Positives

• Stunning art direction especially given the setting.
  • Voice acting is great. Incredibly well done across the board. Right up there with the best I've heard in a game.

• Really enjoyed the story and it has me excited at the prospect of followup game

• Sound direction (OST, ambient noise, weapon feedback etc) are all incredibly well done. Hands down among the best I've heard in a game.

• Lighting and shading is way beyond anything I've ever seen in any other game. When inspecting flyers the ink and contours of said material reflect 100% realistically in realtime when manipulated by the player. The lighting is so good that I found myself gawking and screen caping even the most mundane of things (lantern on a barrel etc) because it blew my mind every single time. I have som 40 odd screenshots from my first playthrough uploaded t my twitter acct (@rexnovis for anyone who wants to look)

• Gunplay is excellent. The shotgun and the thermite rifle are both an absolute blast to use. Also the secondary fire on the falchion that stuns enemies with a blast of air was quit fun to use on advancing enemies.

• I really enjoyed the werewolf encounters. It managed to avoid the tendency in these games to make boss fights into bullet sponges and make them feel unique from all other encounters in the game. The half breed fights managed to capitalize on the speed and ferocity of the enemy instead of just being a big bad thing that you shoot until you die. The sort of guerrilla attack from all sides and angles aspect had me panicking to fire back. The Elder lycan fights were absolutely brutal. I do however think that they could relinquished a bit more control of the situation to the player, They still get a positive from me for not being a bullet sponge fight though.

Negatives

• Depth of Field sometimes causes sighted enemies to appear out of focus causing them to look blurry.

• Disorienting and seemingly unnecessary loss of camera/character control (descending/climbing ladders, intermittent short scenes that could have easily played out while maintaining control)

• Immersion breaking button prompts. Some of them really aren't necessary. After you establish the proper button or control element to use in a situation you really dont need to constantly remind the player. Why does it need to display a symbol over ever inspect-able item instead of just a slight glow or something? It immediately reminds you "oh yeah I'm playing a game"

• Some chapter breaks that make the story feel unnecessarily disjointed. These were especially puzzling because it just felt like the transitions were very sudden or jarring when providing just a smidge more context or a bit more content prior to the transition wouldve eliminated the problem.

• No gun draw control. Gun may only be drawn when combat scenario starts. This is more of a pet peeve of mine. I'm the sort that likes to shoot the environment to see how it reacts so anytime I couldnt draw my gun to shoot a vase or a painting the arbitrary limitation reminded me that I was playing a game and immediately removed me from whatever immersion I had at that point.

• Oddly reflective white areas on the eyes and lack of shaders on and around them in some heavily lighted scenes make them stick out like a sore thumb when everything else looks damn near real.

All that said I dig the game a lot. Gunplay is fun albeit hard as I tend to suck at TPSs in general but it's really the atmosphere and the story that steal the show for me. While the story is a bit predictable at parts there are some unexpected twists and the characters themselves make it for me. The use of discover-able items and sound logs to provide insight into certain characters is really well done. I specially liked the flyer where Tesla drew demon horns on Edison.

Overall the game is very indicative of inexperience thanks to some odd design decisions. But given that this is RADs first AAA title it's nothing that really surprised me. It's not likely to be anyone's Game of the Year but at the same time it's not by any means a bad game. I certainly don't think it's deserving of the reaming it's received in reviews especially since it's released with a rock solid Framerate and no glitches that I've seen or heard of outside of a friend reporting a solitary crash to system menu but that was while using the share function.

It's a shame when games that release stuffed to the gills with DLC and plans for countless more or patently broken games that don't work as advertised or intended receive stellar scores (9s and higher) while a solid contained game like this one is rated so dismally by so many. I guess maybe I just don't see eye to eye with most reviewers any more. We clearly have different priorities/desires when it comes to games. I really enjoyed the game. I'm looking forward to my second playthrough and am excited and hopeful whatever follow up RAD might have planned.

This isn't a particularly well designed single player campaign to be honest. Co-op play probably wouldn't hurt this game as much considering that 90% of the time you are usually with some person in the game.

Truth is the stage design so bad that even co op would become boring fast .
The stages are to small and mostly straight .

Jito

Banned
Chapter 9 spoilers
so big vampire reveal is followed by.... Shooting more random dudes and a shit werewolf fight. Holy fuck, this gameplay is so boring.

Alienous

If I were RAD I would, at the very least, patch in an 'Arcade Mode' that strings together all of the combat sections, adds a scoring system, and lets you play them in sequence. That couldn't take more than a months work.

I am enjoying the game thus far, at Chapter 10 right now. Goes without saying that the game is stunning but I am feeling the fatigue of how often the cut-scenes take over as opposed to gameplay. I feel less connected to the world, it's like being in a museum, I can look but I can't interact with anything. Everything is beautiful but even the things you touch are mostly superficial ... the groundwork is there for something really incredible but this definitely falls short.

Forsete

The gunplay in this game is fantastic. Its just a shame that once you've started to warm up to it the section ends. :/

I hope - like others have suggested, that they add a mode which lets you explore and test more of the gunplay.

Top Bottom