• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eFKac

Expecting a 68-69 meta, but I'm not bothered by review scores anymore.

Still on the fence whether or not to buy it day 1 though.

Reviewers have been taking AAA games this generation to task.

Infamous Second Son: 80
Watch Dogs: 80
Wolfenstein: 79
Evolve: 79
Destiny: 76
Dying Light: 73
DriveClub: 71

I mean 80 on metacritic is like the sound barrier no one can break.
I will be pleasantly surprised if The Order breaks 80.

Sounds bad, but there were still plenty of games that broke 80 last year...

Sunset Overdrive: 81
Forza Horizon 2: 86
Transistor: 83
Shovel Knight: 90
Titanfall: 86
Far Cry 4: 85
Dragon Age Inquizition: 89/85
Bayonetta: 91
Mario Kart 8: 88
Super Smash Bros: 89/85
MCC: 85 (not sure if this counts :p)
Little Big Planet 3: 79 (almost made it!)

The curious thing here is that it seems that exclusives scored higher than multiplatform games last year.

Needs more luuuv

I think I'm ready.

irfOJBM.png

meanspartan

Tomb Raider 2013 was a better game than Uncharted 3 so it's not gonna be a bigger shocker to most.

Yup.

Indiana Drake has never captured me like it has most I guess. I mean, it's good, but the games in that series were good to me in the same way Infamous SS was. 8s out of 10 that I was entertained by but immediately forgot about once I finished them. If it weren't for the Last of Us, Naughty Dog's best game would still be Jak 2.

Tomb Raider, even though it was arguably just as linear, did a better job of creating the illusion of openness. The shooting felt WAY better (Uncharted's shooting has always felt like floaty garbage to me). Uncharted edged it in terms of character development, as Lara was the only interesting character in that game. But outside of that, Tomb Raider was the superior game by a wide margin.

Microsoft are smart bastards for getting it as a timed (permanent? I'm still unclear) exclusive. And Square Enix are just bastards for fucking selling out their playstation fanbase, the whores.

EDIT: Oh and forgot my biggest pet peeve with Uncharted. Several times when climbing, you have to go up in one particular way, even though other paths look just as viable. In those moments I become VERY aware of how linear the game is and it sucks. Tomb Raider, I felt, did a much better job of hiding that stuff.

Tomb Raider 2013 was a better game than Uncharted 3 so it's not gonna be a bigger shocker to most.

The only UC game TR 2013 was better then was 1. Meh setpieces, horrible story and the combat didn't really come to its own until the end with the fights against the Samurai's (or knights, w/e they were).

3 wasn't as good as 2, but its in a different tier to TR 2013.

Toxi

Banned

The curious thing here is that it seems that exclusives scored higher than multiplatform games last year.
YOOOOOOOOO

How not? One could argue they have just as much veracity as a professional review, so long as it comes from a poster with some legitimate credence behind him.

It's a joke from the GAF impressions and game length thread : )

How is it not the place for it? I can imaging lots of reviews bringing up the lackluster and disappointing final boss.

Might lead to discussion on the nature of the fight (who, what, how). Doesn't matter to me since spoilers generally aren't a bother, but I can see how someone who isn't wanting details wouldn't want to see that sort of thing being brought up and getting detailed.

Alchemy

Imagine the reviews will be all over the place with a lot of negative reviews, averaging out to a 70 metacritic. Basically is going to come down to if you like linear cinematic experiences or are looking for more gameplay with things like multiplayer/new game+/collectible hunting etc.

meanspartan

I say this as a Ps4/PC gamer who is probably still years away from buying an Xbox One.

Microsoft be kicking Sony's ass yo. Three of the top five in that list are Xbone exclusive, and only the last entry is a Ps4 (and ps3) exclusive. OUCH

EDIT: Read the list wrong, not scores in descending order haha. But my point still stands, lots of Xbox representation, almost none for Sony.

Seventy70

Might lead to discussion on the nature of the fight (who, what, how). Doesn't matter to me since spoilers generally aren't a bother, but I can see how someone who isn't wanting details wouldn't want to see that sort of thing being brought up and getting detailed.

If they are that touchy about details of the game, they shouldn't even be in this thread. I don't know what else they would expect from a review thread.

I say this as a Ps4/PC gamer who is probably still years away from buying an Xbox One.

Microsoft be kicking Sony's ass yo. Three of the top five in that list are Xbone exclusive, and only the last entry is a Ps4 (and ps3) exclusive. OUCH

EDIT: Read the list wrong, not scores in descending order haha. But my point still stands, lots of Xbox representation, almost none for Sony.
Nintendo can tell you, exclusives alone don't sell systems.

Not to bring in list wars, but there's plenty of PS4 games over 80 that are not on Xbox One.

You can look it up if you're really interested.

vesvci

Banned

MCC got an 85?! Haha. This system is broken.

meanspartan

Nintendo can tell you, exclusives alone don't sell systems.

Oh absolutely. And Sony can tell you that too, given they are kicking Xbox's ass so far. (Though both are selling well by historical standards).

Just saying that if we are having a discussion on the merits (and we agree to give press review averages weight in that discussion) Xbox is superior right now.

Again, incase you missed my previous post, not trying to stir shit up. I have a Ps4 and not an Xbox One. But can't deny the facts. That said, I expect Bloodborne to end Sony's exclusive review "losing streak".

Elandyll

Banned
What are you expecting from the Bloodborne review thread?

To be clear, I think that Bloodborne will be the first (non Nintendo) AAA retail game to be a 90+ MC since Dark Souls II way back in early 2014, and the first next gen exclusive to do so (again, amongst the two leading platforms).

Now, I imagine that some reviews might not be at 90+, and it might incite some strong responses from the more hardcore fans of the souls series, that is all I am fearing :)

The only UC game TR 2013 was better then was 1. Meh setpieces, horrible story and the combat didn't really come to its own until the end with the fights against the Samurai's (or knights, w/e they were).

3 wasn't as good as 2, but its in a different tier to TR 2013.

Heh, I thought even Uncharted 1 was handily a better game than TR 2013. Much more solid presentation, better characters and narrative, and more varied gameplay scenarios.

meanspartan

Not to bring in list wars, but there's plenty of PS4 games over 80 that are not on Xbox One.

You can look it up if you're really interested.

Ya just noticed INfamous is missing.

But I still think Microsoft seems to be doing better so far in regards to "Big" exclusives. Things are different if we start talking smaller releases.

Ya just noticed INfamous is missing.

But I still think Microsoft seems to be doing better so far in regards to "Big" exclusives. Things are different if we start talking smaller releases.

MLB 14, FFXIV, Guilty Gear Xrd, many more etc.

But from the first party studios yes Microsoft has a better metacritic average. Neither company seems to have a "killer" current gen exclusive yet though.

Seventy70

So you're actively trying to keep people from buying the game? Why? You didn't like it?

Ummm... isn't the first part of my post "You could wait for more reviews"? My point was that just because people have disappointing things to say about the game before it was out, that doesn't mean it's a spoiler. It should be put out there for everyone to see, so they can make a decision on whether to get it and not be disappointed after they've payed for it.

I'm not sure where I was telling anyone that they shouldn't buy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom