• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the very end, with Snake on the floor, there are a pair of feet that you can see above Snake's head that rise up and there he is floating above the soldier's gun. I think that's Psycho Mantis.

This guy is indeed definitely in this trailer. In that shot were you see the eyes lit up I immediately thought of this:

Psycho_Mantis.jpg

Crunch2600

Neo Member
The trailer might be some kind of Psycho Mantis fever dream.

"He used his telekinetic powers to burn down the village that he lived in, killing all residents. This release of psychic energy caused severe burns across his body, particularly his face."

injurai

Banned
I just want to know where the hell injurai is to help me revel in this madness!

Why can't it be Volgin, or a hallucination of him? It could be Big Boss as somebody pointed out in one of those pictures.

By kojima, what the fuckery am I witnessing. I completely thought people were just joking about the simiarities to Snake, or it was some easter egg in the trailer. Like that Raiden easteregg we got...

I'm going out of my mind here. Kojima, deliver me!

lmao 50 pages of this crap. I feel bad for the new startup that just wanted to get their new IP out into the world.

with the worst trailer ever?

The whole trailer felt like a joke, and meanwhile it became pretty obvious that it looked a hell of lot like Metal Gear.

For no reason, obviously. I mean, I don't often spend a lot of money on promoting my new IP's, but when I do, I make sure anyone will mistake it for Metal Gear.

Oh, the tears!

Kojima was on the VGA's by complete accident. Wrong plane, bad ticket, "now that I'm here anyway", that sort of thing.

yes, I know you were kidding. Or at least you'ld better be

Whompa

So awesome how the trailer totally baffled everyone and Gaf just went to town on figuring out most of it's little secrets.

This is how you market your game. Don't show and tell everything. Show without telling and let your community come up with the answers.

Brilliant stuff.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
During the pre-show stream Geoff said there would be a trailer shown that was like a puzzle we'd have to figure out.. Phantom Pain=Metal Gear was clearly it. Pretty funny that some people still don't believe it.

libregkd

This guy is indeed definitely in this trailer. In that shot were you see the eyes lit up I immediately thought of this:

Psycho_Mantis.jpg
It being Psycho Mantis as a kid certain fits the time frame. Plus the whole place catching on fire links it to Mantis as well. Remember that he did burn down his village with his telekinetic abilities.

Luminous_Reaver

Neo Member
You actually play Phantom Pain from the point of view of the bandaged man. You have to guide the weak and disoriented Snake to safety as he's clearly unfit to defend himself. He even perceived a missile striking a helicopter as a gigantic whale.

You will want to protect him.

winstano

Just throwing this out there...

1) All of the folks in the MGS universe with missing arms have their right arms missing, yeah?
2) The missing arm in the new trailer was the left arm
3) The Ground Zeroes teaser posters had one that was flipped, with the text mirrored as well.
4) There wasn't anything that would be immediately obvious if it was flipped in the Phantom Pain trailer
5) ???
6) Profit

Throws up some more possibilities if the trailer is flipped horizontally like that poster?

DieH@rd

Banned
Just throwing this out there...

1) All of the folks in the MGS universe with missing arms have their right arms missing, yeah?
2) The missing arm in the new trailer was the left arm
3) The Ground Zeroes teaser posters had one that was flipped, with the text mirrored as well.
4) There wasn't anything that would be immediately obvious if it was flipped in the Phantom Pain trailer
5) ???
6) Profit

Throws up some more possibilities if the trailer is flipped horizontally like that poster?

In Revengeance, Raiden is tasked to collect left hands of PMC soldiers he encounters! :-O

Doesn't Big Boss have a serpent scar on his chest in honor of The Boss? If yes, why doesn't this Snake in the trailer have it? Could this actually be Solid after waking up from his clone sleep?

CorvoSol

Doesn't Big Boss have a serpent scar on his chest in honor of The Boss? If yes, why doesn't this Snake in the trailer have it? Could this actually be Solid after waking up from his clone sleep?

Or maybe they're retconning that incredibly emo thing out. Does someone put that on him in Portable Ops? If not, Strangelove was right to make fun of him in Peace Walker.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

The clones were actually born. They didn't just wake up one fine day as adults. Cool idea, all the same.

All of this speculation... I'm not entirely sure what I even want it to be! Part of me does just hope that Ground Zeroes and this are both parts of a bigger MGS5 title. Ground Zeroes looked amazing and while I'm enjoying this cryptic Kojima shit, I hope Phantom Pain doesn't take focus away from it. Not that we've seen much of this, but Ground Zeroes had me more excited I do admit.

On the other hand, I'm kind of hoping it's a game with young Mantis as the main villain. The game focusses heavy on super natural stuff (which Kojima seems to love) and messes with the players mind. That would fit well with this ARG, since the devs are clearly messing with our minds too. I don't mind who we're playing as. Preferably not Big Boss since we get our daily dose of him in Ground Zeroes. If Mantis is to be the villain, it can't he Solid since he only just meets him for the first time at Shadow Moses. That would leave only Liquid or Solidus. Part of me does think it is just Big Boss again though, since he's covered in scars all over his back and looks pretty rough. The arm though... more mind tricks?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If it is all a Psycho Mantis dream-like sequence, it still seems to me that it happens before he wakes up and the doctor speaks to him (hence the Russian female voice "He has come to" at the very end).

And this is probably Raiden, because Psycho Mantis is funny like that:

wJgJa.jpg

Vespene

Reposted for new page.

It's probably only in the dream. He probably is injured before falling in the coma, or something is done to his arm, so in the dream he feels like he lost it.

Don't you think that maybe "two phantoms were born" alludes to two different Big Bosses? Maybe one of them is in Ground Zeroes and the other in MGS5 with the hook arm? Is the arm a reference to the one Liquid lost to Ocelot?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Don't you think that maybe "two phantoms were born" alludes to two different Big Bosses? Maybe one of them is in Ground Zeroes and the other in MGS5 with the hook arm? Is the arm a reference to the one Liquid lost to Ocelot?

It's not the same arm.

And no. In every MG trailer since MGS3 people think there are two Snakes. They are always wrong. It's the same one. Same scar on the face too.

Unless it's the stupid Rising story: a new Snake is created and given some memories of Big Boss with an arm transplant. Seems silly though, he's the same age as Big Boss would be.

Raonak

Banned

very good point, totally forgot about that.

Yeah. Im thinking this is ground zeroes which has a flashback to phantom rain scene that happens after LET project.

Unless it's the stupid Rising story: a new Snake is created and given some memories of Big Boss with an arm transplant. Seems silly though, he's the same age as Big Boss would be.

Maybe they're cloning big boss again? I mean, his body was just lying there at the end of MGS4, someone could easily do it. This time making a perfect BB clone by giving him the memories of big boss. Would be set X amount of years after MGS4. They cloned BB again, made a perfect clone, who thinks he is BB.
Hell, the whole ground zeroes scenerio could be a MGS2- plant chapter style simulation. it would explain thoes weird hologram stuff.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

pp-5pmpt4.jpg

Shtof

I think that when the dust settles this particular trailer will go down in history as the best reveal ever.

And no, current gen consoles won't be able to pull these grafix off, not in a million years.

Protocol7

I'm sooo over excited if this is MGS related. Coming from nowhere...
Kojima you are pure awesomeness if this is your way of teasing us!

ArveGary

Neo Member
The flaming whale got me thinking. This isn't first time something is swallowed by a "Moby Dick" in MGS.

Raiden and Snake were both swallowed by a Arsenal Gear in MGS2. According to Kojima, that was actually a reference and a tribute to Pinocchio (not to Moby Dick, unfortunately), how he was swallowed by a whale. This is why all the rooms in Arsenal are named by digestive organs.

Just a thought.

Raonak

Banned
I think that when the dust settles this particular trailer will go down in history as the best reveal ever.

And no, current gen consoles won't be able to pull these grafix off, not in a million years.

So why does something like The last of us exist? That looks better than this in most areas. and thats on ps3.
Plus the website displays PS3 and X360.

It's a good looking games, but definetly not something thats beyond current gen capibilities.

confuziz

Banned
A little bit off topic, but since south park was shown first in the trailer I could also ask a question about it...

is the game co-op?

meta4

You are joking right?

Shtof

So why does something like The last of us exist? That looks better than this in most areas. and thats on ps3.
Plus the website displays PS3 and X360.

It's a good looking games, but definetly not something thats beyond current gen capibilities.

They're not allowed to talk about PS4 and Nextbox yet. Also, The Phantom Pain is obviously not a "real" game, as most of us know by now. So the website means nothing.

However, the flame effects, tile textures on the floor as well as the lighting and reflections just scream more powerful hardware. But it's an unfinished engine, but compare TLOU to something like launch title Resistance: FoM or just Naughty Dog's first PS3 game Uncharted: DF and you'll see a huge improvement.

Also, the small wrinkles and scars we see on Big Boss' skin is not something that we are used to see during gameplay in such detail. Did I mention that lighting, reflections and shadows look out of this world?

Izick

By kojima, what the fuckery am I witnessing. I completely thought people were just joking about the simiarities to Snake, or it was some easter egg in the trailer. Like that Raiden easteregg we got...

I'm going out of my mind here. Kojima, deliver me!

We either just saw a viral trailer for MGS V, Ground Zeroes or possibly both. It's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom