• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binabik15

Whelp, done reading the thread now, started when it was only 35 pages (give me crap about 100 ppp master race and I'll punch your dick).

Haven't even seen the trailer yet, I hope it's online in a format my ipad/htc phone can play. But despite not caring enough about the GZ reveal to watch the full trailer after franchise/retconning/nanomachines fatigue set in after 4 and not being able to get into PW at all, this I rike so far. I hope this really is a second game, not GZ. A horror/survival themed side game in the MGS universe alongside a regular MGS game sounds great.

A game where you are BB and Solis Snake hunts you as the main baddie would be even better, even if it's a dream or hallucinations or mind control or whatever.

The BEST would be a remake, or rather repaint, of MGS, with the same gameplay as the PS version, simply replacing thejittering, jagged graphics with beautiful current or next gen ones. I'd take a Vita version, if nothing else. They even redid half of Shadow Moses, use it! Harder games are becoming cool again, retro is slobbered over, give your team an easy task to get familiar with new hardware (and keep them from having to make gameplay choices), make it a downloadable titlw, make me happy, get paid.

I fully expect three hours monologues and cutscenes featuring Mrs Romanov or Volgin or whatever beint injected with car sized nanobots and BB taking down yet another Metal Gear that fails to half a cool as Rex while Frank Jaeger is driven even more into he ground.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
They're not allowed to talk about PS4 and Nextbox yet. Also, The Phantom Pain is obviously not a "real" game, as most of us know by now. So the website means nothing.

However, the flame effects, tile textures on the floor as well as the lighting and reflections just scream more powerful hardware. But it's an unfinished engine, but compare TLOU to something like launch title Resistance: FoM or just Naughty Dog's first PS3 game Uncharted: DF and you'll see a huge improvement.

Also, the small wrinkles and scars we see on Big Boss' skin is not something that we are used to see during gameplay in such detail. Did I mention that lighting, reflections and shadows look out of this world?

The quality looks on par with what was shown in Ground Zeroes. There was nothing that looked better.

Shtof

The quality looks on par with what was shown in Ground Zeroes. There was nothing that looked better.

Do people really believe Kojima are making two games MGS games at once? It's pretty obvious that PP and GZ are the same game. Same time frame, same protagonist, same engine. And it's obviously MGS5.

Edit: And I think the graphics look a lot better than current gen games in both trailers.

Edit 2: If people are expecting Avatar graphics for next-gen, keep doing that. But this is what you'll get.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
Do people really believe Kojima are making two games MGS games at once? It's pretty obvious that PP and GZ are the same game. Same time frame, same protagonist, same engine. And it's obviously MGS5.

Edit: And I think the graphics look a lot better than current gen games in both trailers.

Yeah, I agree, it's too similar to Ground Zeroes to be V.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You can't say shit about the graphics yet.

Wait for monday when they release the trailer in 1080p, then we can talk about graphics.

meta4

You can't say shit about the graphics yet.

Wait for monday when they release the trailer in 1080p, then we can talk about graphics.

Has it been confirmed that the trailer will be released on Monday? Is it only this one or all the trailers shown at the show?

Crunch2600

Neo Member
The helicopter that's being eaten by the whale at the end is the helicopter that Snake uses to escape at the end of the Ground Zeroes demo.

kinda blurry though. I'm sure Moby Dick studios (lol) will provide a better quality version.

The helicopter that's being eaten by the whale at the end is the helicopter that Snake uses to escape at the end of the Ground Zeroes demo.

No it's not. It's a Black Hawk like the ones that the burnt guy uses but with more weapons or fuel tanks bolted onto the sides. Snake's helicopter has a narrower cockpit and seems to be a Kamov Ka-50/Hind hybrid.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
I put this image...
splash1.jpg

...into Google Images and among the visually similar images (mostly delicious-looking food), there's this image from Bungie.net:
army016.jpg
(...) Holy shit.

Screenboy

All I'm saying is compare the MGS4 demo to the final product and you can clearly see the difference, I wonder if the same will happen with this one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really hope the hallucination thing isn't just for a small segment of the game. I would love it to be a massive part of the game. Seeing Kojima go crazy with sanity effects within the already crazy MGS universe could be a great way of mindfucking the player constantly.

Anyone noticed how he's on a bed talking to the doctor, but when he's looking at his arm he's lying on the floor in the same room?

I really hope the hallucination thing isn't just for a small segment of the game. I would love it to be a massive part of the game. Seeing Kojima go crazy with sanity effects within the already crazy MGS universe could be a great way of mindfucking the player constantly.

Yes I want it to be a big thing, and separate from Ground Zeroes, which will be a more traditional infiltration game. I hope I'm right.

Ricker

You know what this reminded me in some instances?...the original XBox game by Namco called Breakdown,the way the FP View was shown in some instances...also,at the start of the trailer,when you see the scientist/doctor,that looked like it could be early next gen stuff...the graphics after that look like this gen though...interesting trailer for sure.

jett

D-Member
I put this image...
splash1.jpg

...into Google Images and among the visually similar images (mostly delicious-looking food), there's this image from Bungie.net:
army016.jpg
(...) Holy shit.

lolz.

Revolver Ocelot should make an appearance in this game, just for fan service's sake.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Totally agree. I really hope this ends up being a big part of the game.

Hindle

Banned
So there are two MGS games being made at the moment, one is Ground Zeros for the current generation, the other is this which is for the next gen, but as they can't say it's for the next gen they've decided to tease us instead. Sounds about right.

So there are two MGS games being made at the moment, one is Ground Zeros for the current generation, the other is this which is for the next gen, but as they can't say it's for the next gen they've decided to tease us instead. Sounds about right.

The only problem with that, is the Moby Dick page has xbox360 and ps3 logos. But that might not mean much though for a fake developer. :)

Wow.

The majority of the beginning of this thread hated the trailer.

Then we find out its MGS, no one hates it and everyone starts to get all "OMG its incredible"

thisisneogaf.gif

Just using as an example of what is capable on current gen hardware. Meaning that the new Metal Gear could be coming out on current systems.

yes, but, that's not real time. You aren't playing during that, just like a lot of that game will be. It shouldn't be the indicator of what the consoles are capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom