• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Project Gotham Racing Appreciation Thread

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
0EKfo.jpg

This is the place where we come together to appreciate and play the fine collection of arcade racing games that the fine men and women at Bizarre Creations gave us over the past decade or so under the Project Gotham Racing and Metropolis Street Racer monikers.

zA9Pp.jpg

gyXOb.jpg

It all began with Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast, the precursor to the series, but a game considered one in the same with the rest. This is where our kudos adventure would begin. Years before this, Bizarre had released Formula 1 in 1996 and Formula 1 '97 a year afterwards, to critical success. As they got a grasp of how to make good racing games, Bizarre decided that they would make the plunge into arcade racing games, specifically the street racing subgenre.

eJe99.jpg

This is where the Bizarre would introduce a plethora of features to the arcade racing genre that would make this a solid package and the start of something big. A unique kudos point system to emphasize that style should compliment speed, a time of day configurator based upon the internal Dreamcast clock, weather effects, hundreds of track configurations alongside memorable cities such as Tokyo and San Francisco, and radio station tracks that immersed you in the city driving experience. Kudos would go on to become the defining mechanic of the PGR franchise, not exactly a bullet point that would sell the game by itself, but something that kept the franchise unique amongst other arcade racers put out throughout the years.

Xolv0.jpg

ASsLo.jpg

After Superman was left imprisoned in the IP vault of Sega on it's burning ship, Bizarre turned to the Dark Knight to carry on the legacy. And thus, Project Gotham Racing was born as a launch title on the Xbox just a year after the release of MSR. The name may have been different, but the game was all the same business and destined to be the spiritual successor to MSR. Adding New York City to it's roster of locales, PGR was a very familiar beast in comparison to it's Dreamcast predecessor, but boasted a refreshed and refined roster of cars with interesting choices such as the Delfino Feroce. The radio stations and kudos, the staple game mechanic of the series that earned the player points for pulling off stylish and daring maneuvers throughout the race, were back in full effect in PGR as well.

Fg4j0.jpg

As a launch title and new IP for Microsoft's entry into the console race, a brand new wave of gamers were able to experience the blend of arcade and simulation racing physics that the MSR/PGR franchise offered. Alongside Halo, PGR rounded out the Xbox's launch lineup and displayed Microsoft's commitment to building new flagship IPs to support it's console with beyond it's infancy. Project Gotham Racing was incredibly successful, selling millions and ensuring that this was not the end of the franchise.

oDIPu.jpg

zlU76.jpg

With the Xbox booming, Microsoft was ready to take it a step further. They would try to bring online multiplayer gaming to consoles to a scale and degree of success that had not been achieved before with Xbox Live. With this, was an opportunity for the Project Gotham series to evolve. Incubated for two years after the release of Project Gotham Racing and a year after the launch of the Xbox Live service, Project Gotham Racing 2 was unleashed to the masses. PGR2 is widely regarded as the pinnacle of the series, and there are many reasons why.

8LTLb.jpg

PGR2 was the point where the franchise exploded in terms of content. The selection of cars spanned 102 automobiles over 14 classes, featuring everything from hot hatches in the compact sports class, to SUVs, all the way up to the Ultimate class which featured some of the best cars money could buy. The Kudos Challenge mode from Project Gotham Racing was expanded into the Kudos World Series, offering tradition street racing and hot lapping challenges amongst speed camera and cone challenges.

rMtXt.jpg

This time around, all of the cities were new and built from scratch, providing some of the most memorable locales and track configurations of any racing game. Whether it was hot laps on the Catalan Challenge in Barcelona with the F50, street races down the Miracle Mile in Chicago with American Muscle cars, vaults over the road into the Red Square on St. Basil's Circle in Moscow, maximum-lap races through the Shinko Park loop in Yokohama or just a leisurely drive through Edinburgh to soak in all of the sights, each the cities had a character of their own. Only augmenting the experience were the better-than-ever localized radio stations that returned from the prequels. Will you forget listening to Sir Mix-A-lot on FM Yokohama (eighty four point seveeeeeeeeeen)? I know I won't.

bf4MW.jpg

But with Xbox Live is where the game really shined. A community formed online that would stay strong until the death of the Xbox itself. Featuring 8 player online racing and per-event leaderboard support, PGR2's online would go on to spawn a dedicated group of racers, who would spawn their own multiplayer gametypes to play, the most famous being Cat and Mouse. On top of that, PGR2 would also receive some of the first packs of downloadable content to appear on consoles, in the form of two city booster packs, Long Beach and Paris, each also adding 8 cars to the stable. PGR2 also marked the debut of Geometry Wars, a hidden minigame created by Stephen Cakebread of Bizarre, which would have variants included in every subsequent PGR, and would later go on to have it's own success and fame across multiple platforms.

d12O5.jpg

PGR2 was a bold, content-rich game that delivered in every criteria that defines a good racer. An addictive career mode, an unmatched, pioneering multiplayer experience online and offline, a wealthy amount of cars from nearly every niche, and memorable track configurations from memorable cities.

P9Xpb.jpg

cWgVk.jpg

Rumours swirled of the next Xbox being in the works, and it was only fitting to expect a Project Gotham launch title to be in the works. And during the Microsoft Press Conference at E3 2005, this trailer was unleashed upon the world. Project Gotham Racing 3 was the return of the PGR franchise, but arrived with a new tagline: Life Begins at 170.

2XMjZ.jpg

PGR3 would feature many tweaks to the formula. Kudos were rewarded differently for a much larger variety of drifts and powerslides, and city street racing would return to 4 familiar locales to the PGR series along with a new one, Las Vegas, but now with the opportunity to make custom track configurations within the confines of the modeled city district.

BrZsz.jpg

With the transition into the HD generation of consoles, Bizarre were able to improve the graphics and level of detail in environments significantly. But what benefited most from the extra power the 360 provided, were the cars. The wonderfully detailed car models glowed in the vibrant colours Bizarre chose to bathe them in. Bizarre went ahead and captured raw audio of each car in the game, alongside individually modelling the interior of each car for use in the all-new in-car view, setting standards early on in the generation for racing games.

xI2Fn.jpg

To make sure you were able to fully appreciate the cars and environments they had built, PGR3 included a photo-mode, which let you upload your photos to PGR servers, and download them on your computer. To succeed PGR2, it was important that PGR3 did have this robust online feature set. On top of all the features in PGR2, PGR3 added new modes such as Eliminator, and even included Cat-and-Mouse built-in. Bizarre also introduced an online tournament system, as well as a photo and replay content browser and GothamTV, which allowed people to watch other players racing online live.

0DLTZ.jpg

PGR3 was a strong debut and showcase for the 360 at launch. Some of the tweaks to physics, the removal of weather options from the series, and the controversial change in car selection that made it so no car had a top speed under 170mph, were met with criticism by the fanbase. And although the PGR2 community stayed strong year after year, the move to 360 saw the PGR3 online community die out quickly, with people finding difficulty finding any matches online months after release.

Xd2gT.jpg

1DnuJ.jpg

Like clockwork, another 2 years passed, and another PGR was ready for release. Little did we know that this would be the last we would see of the franchise on consoles. Project Gotham Racing 4 was the culmination of what had been learned from the previous games in the series, all in one.

dz5hT.jpg

All the cities from PGR3 returned and had their time of day and environments tweaked to jive with the new and improved lighting. 5 new locales joined the group: Macau, Shanghai, Quebec City, St. Petersburg, and the Michelin Test Track. All of these locations welcomed the return of weather effects to the series, including new ones such as icy roads, storms and varying degrees of snow. Single-player races even featured a dynamic weather system, where rain could escalate into a storm, or could dry up over the course of the race. The city environments as well as the trackside detail appeared leaps and bounds better than in PGR3, which hold up quite well to this day for a game that is 4 years old.

0L2HS.jpg

However, although PGR4 returned it's more varied and quirky selection of cars that the series was known for pre-PGR3 with the likes of the DeLorean DMC-12 and the GMC Syclone, it also brought motorcycles into the mix. This was a controversial addition to the series and many fans were split on this inclusion from the initial announcement, despite the game still offering considerably more cars than motorcycles.

F0yIm.jpg

Some say that the inclusion of motorcycles aided the demise of the franchise, but a large contributing factor was that the game was released within a month of Halo 3. The marketing was just not enough for the game to make as big of a blip as the previous titles in the franchise did. PGR4 was overshadowed by the daunting amount of big titles in the Fall of 2007, and found it's way into bargain bins quicker than expected for a well-reviewed game from what was once one of Xbox's largest franchises. Tastes were changing, and critics complained the PGR formula was wearing as far back as PGR3 in 2005. Microsoft ultimately decided not to back development of a new PGR, and the series has been in limbo ever since.

Also here are some more pictures of PGR4 because it's awesome:

kfGGn.jpg

bocDQ.jpg

5vCuo.jpg

Kbh89.jpg

TkQNu.jpg

Xw8GH.jpg

0McvE.jpg

W0p9D.jpg

Just before the release of PGR4 in fact, Bizarre was bought by Activision. These were early signs and fears that fans would not receive a PGR5 developed by Bizarre Creations, as Microsoft owns the IP. Bizarre was tasked with creating "the Call of Duty of racing games" to round out Activision's portfolio of titles across various genres. This was quite a large burden for Bizarre, as they were solely purchased to fulfill this task because of the decade of experience they had building racing games. The game that would attempt to fulfill this task, would be Blur.

CN4LZ.jpg

People hoped for a spiritual successor to the Project Gotham Racing and Metropolis Street Racer, but what they got was something quite different. Blur was a car combat game, featuring many power-ups with tactical uses, and was marketed as an adult version of Mario Kart. It featured a Fans system that worked a lot like Kudos did, a ton of online modes featuring perks like Call of Duty and many social-gaming influences in the game design. Fans were split on this game even more so than PGR4. Bizarre claimed that the game gave you the option to turn off all the power-ups and you would be able to play it just like you would PGR, but it just wasn't the same.

d1Ood.jpg

Activision decided to release the game in the same month as Split Second: Velocity, another car-combat racing game, a misstep Bizarre had experienced in the past with Halo 3 which proved to work against the game in the long run too. Millions were sunk into Bizarre and Blur, and Blur didn't return as it experienced limited commercial success. The other game Bizarre released under Activision was James Bond 007: Bloodstone, which also garnered very little critical and commercial success.

Opw9u.jpg

That was the third strike for Bizarre, and Activision began seeking buyers for the studio. During this period, everything was very silent from both Bizarre and Activision. News came that Microsoft was interested in buying Bizarre, but negotiations went nowhere. After months of searching for a buyer to no avail, Activision finalized the closure of Bizarre Creations, and the studio was dissolved. A sad day for Bizarre and PGR fans everywhere.

D9JeR.jpg

Although the future looks bleak from the franchise, we can look forward to what the talent behind these games can bring us in the future. From the ashes of Bizarre rose Lucid Games, a studio that has found itself in Liverpool, the home of the original Bizarre studio, that plans to employ up to 50 artists and programmers for their next project. Additionally, the creator of Geometry Wars, Stephen "Cakey" Cakebread, along with Ben Ward and Peter Collier have set up Hogrocket Studios, and plan to develop iOS games initially. Ben Ward maintains an excellent tumblr here that chronicles many different topics related to Hogrocket and the challenges that arise from creating and maintaining an indie studio. Hogrocket have stated though that they are not making Geometry Wars, as they are working on a new IP. Activision owns the Geometry Wars IP. Their first game has actually been submitted to Apple already in fact.

Now that your all caught up on the history of this franchise, why not give it a shot if you haven't already? PGR4 is a great place to start, as it can be found for cheap anywhere and will irrefutably give you a lot of bang for your buck with all of the content inside.

And if you have already played PGR games and own them, which you likely have if you're clicking this thread, then you should join in on this celebration of the Project Gotham Racing series. Post your favourite memories, favourite tracks, favourite pictures, favourite videos, favourite cars and favourite games from the franchise. ITS A CELEBRATION BITCHES.

Thread written by enzo_gt, graphics by Xun.

ss_lemonade

One thing I hated about MSR aside from the kudos system was the extremely dark lighting during night time races. You're headlights didn't do jack to help you see during night races. Other than that, I remember that game being a blast to play. Also loved the radio songs that you could listen to (even had a wannabe Will Smith singer IIRC lol)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gravijah said:
Wait, I never made the Metropolis->Gotham connection before. Is that true?
Yeah they were codenames for the racing game projects they were working on, but Metropolis and Gotham sounded cool so they stuck with them.

benzy said:
Awesome work Xun & enzo!

Isn't this Forza 3 though? lol

http://i.imgur.com/BH6J5.jpg
Had it in a PGR3 folder for some reaason. Is that not a garage in the background? Replaced to be safe! D:

Not to piss on the parade but that first pic under "project gotham racing 3" is actually a picture I took of forza 3, of my tv screen with my digital camera lol. Here is the original link. Good thread though, good series.

EDIT: Fixed already :)

bender

What time is it?
Great thread! PGR2 is probably my favorite racer ever. I spent so much time online with friends. I love KGB Corner so much and the makeshift cat and mouse races were the best. It also had the best implementation of custom soundtracks ever with the cd deck interface that you could pull up on the fly.

Ty4on

Blur was very different, but equally awesome. Boosting to the finish line and using barge to blast the guy ahead into the wall is just awesome.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nice work! I played PGR at a time when I thought Gran Turismo was the only style of racing game that I could play. I thought I wanted the realism. Man, I was wrong. PGR always blew me away. The cars we popular and recognizable. The driving was an absolute blast. The games can be very challenging but were rewarding at the same time. So great. I remember playing the tournament qualifiers in PGR3. They gave you a track and a car and only the Top 64 times got to move on. I would race for hours trying to get a fastest time. So much fun.

mclem

I have to say, I never really got into any of the Gotham titles, but played MSR through to completion; I adored that game. It also had the best soundtrack! Parody songs by Richard Jacques > officially licensed tat.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
rocksteady1983 said:
Not to piss on the parade but that first pic under "project gotham racing 3" is actually a picture I took of forza 3, of my tv screen with my digital camera lol. Here is the original link. Good thread though, good series.

EDIT: Fixed already :)
Sorry about that! Also, your photos in your gallery, racing game or not are all pretty awesome.

Trunchisholm said:
Amazing series. Amazing thread. Kudos to enzo_gt! (Pun definitely intended)
Xun did all the graphics and edited it all, he deserves an equal amount of praise! Also a bunch of GAFers PMing and posting suggestions helped too. ITS A CELEBRATION

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm digging the banner, and I definitely stand behind this thread.

Been a fan from the beginning, and own MSR, PGR1 all the way down to PGR4. I can still remember being wowed by pictures of MSR in the Official Dreamcast Magazine, loving the playable demo that came with it a few magazines later, and then being addicted to the actual game when it came out. I really loved that club track, I think it was called "Am I Only Dreaming" - always had it on repeat while racing.

Then when I found out they were heading to the Xbox with PGR, it was that, Halo and Dead or Alive 3 that cemented the decision for me to get an Xbox, and I've loved the series ever since, culminating with PGR4, which I STILL think is the best visual package in a racer I've ever played, even if it isn't 60fps. Just like the pictures show, the tracks are second to none with the visuals - buildings, roads, greenery, all perfect. Always loved reading the developer updates going into detail how they constructed the cities in amazing detail with thousands and thousands of photos.

And of course, the time of day and weather effects. Nothing else to say about those excpet for the feel of speeding through a city at night and seeing all the buildings lit up, or driving from the interior view when it's raining with the wipers on.

Still the biggest travesty when PGR4 didn't sell as well as it deserved when it came out amongst all those other monster games, and Bizarre closing down altogether.

Aaaaalright guys. First of all thanks a lot for the thread.

I'm betting many of you skipped the PGR4 DLC because of many reasons. Launched in February I think... I played the Platinum+ chapter for the achievement, and while I have 1250/1250, I didn't do the other 2 DLC chapters. They were just lost there. I've been doing them the past days. Some of them are very challenging and it's a great place to start for all of us that are returning to the game. Give it a try!

My next challenge is... I dare you to find a better 'Ring in any other game. PGR4 'Ring = Most beautiful 'Ring.

9da02abd42514c078392c6c.jpg

281b31dc008e4a95ae330a8.jpg

d2165dfe52b547909b3391e.jpg

db8278c9252e4cc3ba3770f.jpg

Loved the Music in MSR.

Time keeps telling me to keep on waiting, but I just don't know how to carry ooooon♪
I keep thinking that you might be missing me, but how can I tell when you're goooone♪

TheOddOne

This will break Enzo's heart (see date posted)
A team of sound engineers from Microsoft Game Studios (some working on Forza, some on Project Gotham Racing) asked if I was willing to take my Roadster to a track so they could record a variety of sounds. Some time ago they had the opportunity to record Tesla motor noises when a prototype was being run on a dyno at Tesla. But the teams were excited about the prospect of recording other sounds, particularly tire skid and squeal noises, without the interference of loud engine and exhaust noise. Of course I said “yes.”

diffusionx

Gold Member
I loved PGR4. Great game. I sometimes think about re-buying it and trying to get more achievements. I mean, it's only $10 or so. I'm not sure I want to live in a world where games like PGR4 aren't popular.

I still play PGR2 once in a while, but no online leaderboards is disappointing. Still I love the amount of content in that game, along with the off-the-beaten path cities (which PGR4 also has, Macau and Quebec City).

enzo_gt said:
Sorry about that! Also, your photos in your gallery, racing game or not are all pretty awesome.
No worries man. Thanks for the kind words!

Also looking at those cockpit gifs from PGR4.....some of the best "true sense" of being in a cockpit this gen by far. Also their lighting engine and color was dead on, very realistic.

Fox Mulder

-bakalhau- said:
My next challenge is... I dare you to find a better 'Ring in any other game. PGR4 'Ring = Most beautiful 'Ring.

I picked up PGR4 late after playing the hell out of Forza 2, but goddamn the ring is fun and beautiful with the snow.

rocksteady1983 said:
No worries man. Thanks for the kind words!

Also looking at those cockpit gifs from PGR4.....some of the best "true sense" of being in a cockpit this gen by far. Also their lighting engine and color was dead on, very realistic.

So true, the head movement when you brake and all of that is fantastic. Forza 3 in comparison was horrible in cockpit view. PGR3/4 are extremely enjoyable to me in that view. Shame you don't get to enjoy the scenery though...

Atomski

Also loved how in PGR3 you could watch other random people race online. I remember it blowing me away.. Did any other racing game have this feature before?

Hixx

Wasn't a fan of PGR3 for some reason but MSR+the rest of the PGRs are tied with Dirt as my favourite racing series.

The weather effects in PGR4 were stunning, still a bloody good looking game 4 years on. I miss the series :(

Driving one of those old cars with no roof and bicycle wheels in The Nurburgring during a heavy snow storm is one of the highlights of my gaming life. It was glorious, very very challenging but so rewarding, i still check the replay from time to time.

935830_20070913_embed001.jpg

Atomski said:
Also loved how in PGR3 you could watch other random people race online. I remember it blowing me away.. Did any other racing game have this feature before?

Toca Race Driver 3, Dirt.

Pretty sure they had it. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheOddOne said:
I remember seeing this before and..

...I don't know if T10 or anyone else can recreate the Bizarre magic. Stop spreading false hope TheOddOne ;(

Also, remember this guys?

pgr2_basics_kudos_rank.jpg

Remember how good this screen made you feel with its 5 second camera swoop-in beforehand? This screen made my younger self feel like I had accomplished something in life for persevering through cone challenge after cone challenge.

a_med_2.jpg

Remember standing here oogling at these trophies? Remember going back through the KWS again to claim another to add to your collection? I fucking loved the showroom. I would just wander aimlessly in there looking at the beautiful cars on display, test driving them over and over until it just became a hot lap session, gunning for the fastest time in a car I didn't own.

My goal now is to finally finish the PGR4 campaign. Gonna take a lot of work to rack up the kudos to buy out the shop. Going for that 1 million kudos gamerpic early causes some difficulty later on haha

PGR2 is still my favorite. I have all of these games including MSR, although I didn't buy it until like 2001 or 2002. I bought an xbox for Halo and PGR.

I dove hard into xbox live with PGR2 and it was just like unlike anything...people creating crazy game types and the significant number of racers who were courteous.

I bought my 360 for PGR and Geometry wars... :| And Condemned which I picked up on a whim on launch turned out to be great as well.

And finally PGR4 was sad... I bought it the week it came out and was astounded by how much microsoft dug the grave for that game and eventually that studio. There was no advertising... nothing. It was crazy how fast MS buried that game. Sure, I was not a super fan of the bikes, but the game was amazing none the less!

LQX

The best racing series in my view and I love Forza. The track design I think makes a racing game more than anything and PGR always delivered in spades. I love Forza and I understand its sim by console standards but many of the tracks even the not real world ones are just so fucking bland especially when you have to race the same mountain view or track with a sterile dirt and green grass patch.

I miss the exoticness of tracks a game like PGR pushed forward which racing games these days are missing. Not even the recent NFS came close.

Also PGR4 still looks great. Damn shame that game seemingly gets no respect. Ahead of its time in many ways including graphics. Shame the developers jumped ship and of courses got killed thinking the grass was greener on the other side.

benzy said:
Perfectly captures the beauty of PGR4, I can't fathom how 4 years on it still looks as good - if not better - than all the other racing games on the market. Forza is sterile and lifeless in comparison.

I still remember the first time i walked around the garage in FPS mode in PGR3, the graphics were just like nothing else i had seen before, it was my go to game for showing the powers of my new console back in 2005.

Vespa

Awesome thread, been a fan since MSR. I can remember spending hours on the demo with the orange Vauxhall VX220! I'm also one of the people who the game has helped to navigate around in real life :)

PGR2 was incredible and totally lived up to the hype *bow* and I still enjoy playing it to this day.

metalgearsalute.jpg

watership

Fantastic work enzo_gt. Looking all these great games makes me a little sad. I really wish Microsoft would have scooped them up them instead of Activision.

It's really sad that such a talented team as Bizarre Creations is now scattered. I mean come on, they made the PGR franchise! How the hell can you close a studio like that? And I also don't know how Blur performed so bad, I loved it!

Xun

Good to see the thread up! Was good fun working on the graphics and once again good work on the text enzo!

PGR2 has some of my favorite memories on XBLive. So much fun ... The Ring playing cat and mouse with mini coopers and TVRs was amazing.

I didn't really play much of 3 and 4 I got stuck where I just couldn't beat a race and got frustrated. I think I might revisit it sometime in the future as I am a much better racer now and I have a wheel setup.

Xanadu

Banned
Computer said:
You're not a true fan if you've never played this:

7594436c3b4aaad619000f1e72cc317a20081217164923.jpg

Also, Blur was a piece of shit.
i always wanted to but i wont buy a console for one game, i played PGR since the first game though

Top Bottom