• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Project Gotham Racing Appreciation Thread

Loved this, but reckon Driveclub will take over the mantle as the best arcade style racer.

I expect Driveclub 2 to be the complete package, much in the same way PGR2 was on the original Xbox.

pieman

Neo Member
The reason I bought an xbox was PGR, a local shop to me had the full game set up for play. After playing every day for a couple of weeks I decided that a console was for me... Loved the game and PGR2 and 3, wasn't so keen on 4 not sure why perhaps I was raced out. Shame to hear that the franchise is dead but nothing lasts forever and I had great times playing it and hanging around the BC forums...

Metzhara

This thread makes me sad. One of my favorite series of all time.
I became a fan after playing "Metropolis Street Racer" on DC. The realtime day/night was one of the raddest features in a game. I would get up bright and early just to play Tokyo races at specific times. Even at this time I was a grown ass man living in my own place.
I'd do it all again too.
Kudos to you Bizarre. You will be missed. -Adam

Shaneus

See you guys on PS4, because with that attitude and theory MS' "racing portfolio" is "full" with Horizon and FM, means that there's no room on the One for the racing games I enjoy the most. Those being, blasting through city streets with speed and style and not having to worry about modifying cars and tuning and a gross lack of environments.

Hell, their one game that supposedly fills the space of PGR has ONE environment.

ONE!

Suppose the console's name is appropriate :/

Cygnus

Banned
Excellent OP. The nostalgia I get for the first two PGR games is almost overwhelming. It's a shame I never got to experience Metropolis Street Racer due to not owning a Dreamcast, maybe I'll pick one up one day as I'd like to play Test Drive Le Mans too.

123rl

Reading through that brought back lots of great memories, mainly of the hundreds of hours I put into pgr2 on Xbox Live. That game was faultless.

I think the only game I've ever played more than pgr2 is l4d2

Shaneus

Excellent OP. The nostalgia I get for the first two PGR games is almost overwhelming. It's a shame I never got to experience Metropolis Street Racer due to not owning a Dreamcast, maybe I'll pick one up one day as I'd like to play Test Drive Le Mans too.
Psst. You can probably emulate them ;) I attempted to emulate a few DC games on PC and I vaguely recall having some kind of success with MSR. Obviously doesn't beat playing it on the original console though. Should be able to get them fairly cheap by now I'd think.

NEVER FORGET.

Cygnus

Banned
Psst. You can probably emulate them ;) I attempted to emulate a few DC games on PC and I vaguely recall having some kind of success with MSR. Obviously doesn't beat playing it on the original console though. Should be able to get them fairly cheap by now I'd think.

NEVER FORGET.

Yea i heard DC emulation wasnt that great but i'll give it a go

Xbox Emulation would be so awesome, I cant imagine how awesome PGR2 would be at 1080p :p

Yea i heard DC emulation wasnt that great but i'll give it a go

Xbox Emulation would be so awesome, I cant imagine how awesome PGR2 would be at 1080p :p

If you have a rather modern android device with a good chipset, Reicast r6 can emulate MSR rather well but there is no engine sound, still playable. You can use a dreamcast SD card adapter to get the files but then you might as well play it on a DC anyway.

MSR is a good game, back in the day I thought it was too slow and the fact that you can only have 3 cars in your garage at a time is annoying but it's not gran turismo, you only need the better cars to race everywhere so it's more like you upgrade the vehicles you use until you beat all 25 chapters. I think they tried to go with a more personal feeling of progression then just unlocking.

Broman1978

Sorry for digging up a really old thread but when I saw this gif in the Forza 6 thread, I just dreamed of an HD remake for PGR4 on Xbox One. Damnit Microsoft, make it happen =)

9SOL8OT.gif

Bioshocker

Sorry for digging up a really old thread but when I saw this gif in the Forza 6 thread, I just dreamed of an HD remake for PGR4 on Xbox One. Damnit Microsoft, make it happen =)

9SOL8OT.gif

I'd like a remaster of PGR 2. That game is amazing.

I still haven't given up hope on PGR 5. Sooner or later people are bound to get tired of Forza. I hope.

The chances of PGR being in the BC list come November time???

Would really love to see a 3 year dev cycle of

Forza Motorsport
Forza Horizon
Project Gotham Forza Racing

:)

Azzawon

The chances of PGR being in the BC list come November time???

Would really love to see a 3 year dev cycle of

Forza Motorsport
Forza Horizon
Project Gotham Forza Racing

:)

Honestly, I can't see Forza Horizon 3 happening in 2016. It's too soon and I don't think many people would want it.

I would absolutely love to see a successor to PGR instead, but I think the most likely thing would be a reinvented Rallisport Challenge.

Absolutely cannot wait for PGR3 and 4 to appear on back-compat though, two of my favourite games from last-gen.

Tuffty

I absolutely loved the fact PGR2 had different radio stations for each country which would play music from artists native to that country. That extended as far as even getting fake DJ's which spoke in their native tongue. It really contributed to each track having a great atmosphere. Was disappointed to go back to PGR4 and find a generic soundtrack which you can play anything at any time. That aspect of PGR2 really sets it apart from any other racing game to me.

Sinn

Banned
I loved this series, had such wonderful atmosphere.

I kinda wish Forza: Horizon was just PGR Horizon, I feel PGR suits what the game actually is, much more appropriately.

krang

I would do untold things to get a new PGR. FH is really good, but it's just no substitute.

A remastered PGR2 would be amazing. I'd gladly take a break from an annual Forza release for a PGR.

pls phil

Shaneus

Cool. But it's not the same type of game.
Agreed. Even though there are far fewer ex-Bizarre at Evolution, Driveclub is still the closest we have so far to a PGR game this generation. If they include cities like everyone hopes, for all intents and purposes it will be PGR.

Way I see it:
Playground (Forza Horizon) are locked into making that. Maybe MS will want to change the formula for them, but while open-world racing is still appealing to the masses, they won't be working on anything PGR-esque anytime soon.
Lucid (large number of ex-Bizarre people) don't really have the resources to work on any kind of racing game. Only thing I could ever see coming from them is if Activision reinvigorate the Blur license or *maybe* MS signs them on to do a PGR game (likely with Playground, they're both in the UK). But very unlikely on the latter, I think.
Evolution (few ex-Bizarre people) seem strictly Driveclub now and will be focusing on it as a service which means stacks of content but unlikely to release any big titles. They obviously wouldn't do anything specifically PGR anyway, because they're tied to Sony.
Sumo is headed up by one of the lead guys at Bizarre and could be brought in by MS to do something, especially considering they handled the Horizon 2 port on 360. But that's if MS want to do it (and run it in parallel with Horizon and Motorsport).

I absolutely loved the fact PGR2 had different radio stations for each country which would play music from artists native to that country. That extended as far as even getting fake DJ's which spoke in their native tongue. It really contributed to each track having a great atmosphere. Was disappointed to go back to PGR4 and find a generic soundtrack which you can play anything at any time. That aspect of PGR2 really sets it apart from any other racing game to me.
I can tell you the Sydney radio station had actual Sydney disc-jockeys. I have a feeling the other countries had legit ones too.

M52B28

Banned
I still play PGR 4 today.

Blasting through the tunnels in the rain while listening to Wolfmother for the first time: An experience unlike any other.

I'd definitely buy a completely reworked PGR4 done in the likes of Gears of War.

Before I had a console, a coworker with an Xbox would host hour long multiplayer sessions over lunch. We played so much PGR2 that I have the lyric 'how many DJs do you know that are from Russia?' Stuck in my head to this day. The song was playing when racing in St Petersburg

Was playing PGR 3 for the first time since it came out last night. So, so good. Aged really well.

I've been trying to find the soundtrack. Is there some way to buy/download the whole lot? I can find individual tracks easily enough but would love a complete ost.

Top Bottom