• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The retro, classic, nostalgic, unmissable anime list thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomu Gomu

nice thread man, and kudos for that list.

Wrath2X said:
It was called captain majid here and was really popular during the 80s and 90s.

oh yes, captain Majid, the good ol' days :lol

also, one of my all time favorite TV productions I've ever seen:
kabamaru8.jpg

Iga No Kabamaru.
it's only about 20-30 episodes, which are full of win.

230px-TigerMaskanime2.jpg

Tiger Mask:
wrestling anime.

恐竜大戦争アイゼンボーグ (the Arabic version was called "The Iron Man", don't know what's its officially called in NA)
Dinosaurs VS a human robot filmed in real life = WIN.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One of these days I'm going to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. I swear. Someday...

I also need to dig up Anne of Green Gables too.

Also, Only Yesterday is quite possibly the best anime movie I've ever seen. Why the hell Disney won't release it (aside from the one and only airing it had on TCM, which is how I managed to see it) is absolutely beyond me.

S. L.

Blablurn said:
http://site.mynet.com/animeberker/mynet_resimlerim/captain_tsubasa03.jpg[IMG]

Captain Tsbasa (1983)

A classic for every football and anime fan.[/QUOTE]
Blablurn you must also be remembering this one

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/AttackNo1.jpg
Attack No. 1 aka Mila Superstar in Germany, quite a childhood classic for me. Including the super-catchy (german) intro song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6BJtuU-d4U :lol

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attack No. 1 (アタックNo.1, Atakku Nanbā Wan?) is a Japanese manga series by Chikako Urano. It also became the first televised female sports anime series in the shōjo category.
The anime is an adaptation of Chikako Urano's 1968 volleyball manga serialized in Weekly Maragaret Magazine under the same name.

FnordChan

MetatronM said:
Also, Only Yesterday is quite possibly the best anime movie I've ever seen. Why the hell Disney won't release it (aside from the one and only airing it had on TCM, which is how I managed to see it) is absolutely beyond me.

My guess is that Disney has been holding it back for release along with Tales of Earthsea. If we don't see it arrive on DVD then, I'll officially be deeply annoyed. Isao Takahata rules, okay.

FnordChan

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Blablurn said:
captain_tsubasa03.jpg

Captain Tsbasa (1983)

A classic for every football and anime fan.

THIS

THIS TIMES A THOUSAND

Plus, SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA SAINT SEIYA

Known as Los Caballeros del Zodiaco or a variant in some countries. :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA (1993-1994 and 2000-2002)

jojo.jpg

No, DBZ and YYH don't need any more attention, and they're also not exactly great shows overall. If there's one shounen fighting series that stands above the rest and is overlooked by most it's Jojo's (well, and HxH but that doesn't apply to this thread). The R1 DVDs are out of print and only available on the secondary market, but I tracked them down and, man, what a treat this show is. Due to being an OVA it's fast paced and well animated, but it's also clever and unapologetically brutal and -- for the insane climax -- totally spectacular. Follow Jotaro and his comrades as they track down Dio, the glittery rockstar vampire and his minions, each side dueling the other in exotic locations and with unique Stand abilities. Legendary character designs and legendary quirkiness permeate every frame.

carlosp

Banned
slump1.jpg

Loved it. One of the funniest and craziest anime i know.

Dr. Slump (Dr. (ドクター) スランプ, Dokutā Suranpu?) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Akira Toriyama. The title was serialized in Shueisha's anthology comic Weekly Shōnen Jump from 1980 to 1984, eventually compiled into 18 tankōbon. The series helped launched Toriyama's career and was awarded the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōnen and shōjo manga in 1982.[1]

Dr. Slump is a gag manga, and bears little resemblance to Toriyama's following series Dragon Ball, though the early Dragon Ball manga chapters are much closer to Dr. Slump in its style and humour. The Dr. Slump manga has been licensed by Viz Media and is currently being published in graphic novel form. The English translation is done by Alexander O. Smith.

Mobile Suit Gundam, Fist of the North Star, Project A-ko and Akira were my introductions to anime. :D

I loved Outlaw Star as well (too new to be on the list though)...and the first Tenchi's were entertaining too. Never really got into Ramna, though. The old days of Toonami Midnight run with uncut Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star were some of the best.

EviLore said:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA (1993-1994 and 2000-2002)

jojo.jpg

No, DBZ and YYH don't need any more attention, and they're also not exactly great shows overall. If there's one shounen fighting series that stands above the rest and is overlooked by most it's Jojo's (well, and HxH but that doesn't apply to this thread). The R1 DVDs are out of print and only available on the secondary market, but I tracked them down and, man, what a treat this show is. Due to being an OVA it's fast paced and well animated, but it's also clever and unapologetically brutal and -- for the insane climax -- totally spectacular. Follow Jotaro and his comrades as they track down Dio, the glittery rockstar vampire and his minions, each side dueling the other in exotic locations and with unique Stand abilities. Legendary character designs and legendary quirkiness permeate every frame.

Yes, and you fuckballs can find it all for around $40 total online from various retailers.

I just boxed up my Kotobukiya Jojo's figures today. $180 worth of Bizarre plastic. :D

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore said:
well, and HxH but that doesn't apply to this thread
Even though it doesn't technically count for this thread, it's still worth a mention that Hunter X Hunter episodes 1-15 are now available in box set form in the US. :D

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
MetatronM said:
Even though it doesn't technically count for this thread, it's still worth a mention that Hunter X Hunter episodes 1-15 are now available in box set form in the US. :D
English dubbed? :O

And Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is awesome.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
jimmbow said:
Wait so is it still bannable if he didnt know the date it was animated? Just out of sheer curiosity.

This isn't a general recommendation thread. Almost every anime thread can end up going that route at a moment's notice by people who only see "ANIME" and enter to post "COWBOY BEBOP AND FLCL!!!!" Hito's mindful of this and wants it to stay on topic. Plus we have general rules about reading the OP before posting.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
carlosp said:
slump1.jpg

Loved it. One of the funniest and craziest anime i know.

Dr. Slump (Dr. (ドクター) スランプ, Dokutā Suranpu?) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Akira Toriyama. The title was serialized in Shueisha's anthology comic Weekly Shōnen Jump from 1980 to 1984, eventually compiled into 18 tankōbon. The series helped launched Toriyama's career and was awarded the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōnen and shōjo manga in 1982.[1]

Dr. Slump is a gag manga, and bears little resemblance to Toriyama's following series Dragon Ball, though the early Dragon Ball manga chapters are much closer to Dr. Slump in its style and humour. The Dr. Slump manga has been licensed by Viz Media and is currently being published in graphic novel form. The English translation is done by Alexander O. Smith.

Image is from the revival.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
unico.jpg
7079_1.jpg

Unico's way of bringing joy to others gets him into trouble with the gods, who believe that happiness should only be obtained by years of sacrifice and hard labor and not by meeting a little unicorn. The gods send the West Wind to banish Unico to the Hill of Oblivion, but the West Wind takes pity on Unico and declines to follow the gods' commands. The gods are furious when they learn of the West Wind's defiance, and send the Night Wind to capture Unico.

Classic, little known Osamu Tezuka films based on his Manga. Films were released in 1981, and 1983. In retrospect this would be the first anime I ever saw, Disney Channel used to run both of these. It's warm, it's fluffy, but it's still good entertainment.

Hazaro said:
Forget something?

2qasm5k.jpg

Although it is awesome and everyone should buy the DVDs, it's not pre-1995.

This thread needs more super robots though. Mazinger Z and Tetsujin 28 would be good additions, they influenced a lot of later work.

JimmyV

Banned
Another really great addition would be Zeta Gundam. It really is one of the highest moments in one of the most popular anime series(if not the best in the Gundam Universe), and in general, a great experience.

Also, Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory should also be noted. It has some of the best cel animation I have seen for a mech anime!

I know both are listed in a quote box under 0079, but they deserve their own

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
jimmbow said:
Another really great addition would be Zeta Gundam. It really is one of the highest moments in one of the most popular anime series(if not the best in the Gundam Universe), and in general, a great experience.
I still need to see more Zeta. I saw maybe the first 6 episodes or so a while ago, but never got to see more. Is it better to watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam before Zeta, though?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
0083 Stardust Memory, yeah, good call. That's my favorite version of the ever-retold Gundam story.

Re: Gunbuster, it has an interesting take on the time effects of space travel at extreme speeds, but it's otherwise unremarkable fanservice crap. And it's annoying as hell -- how often does the protagonist need to start sobbing? Every five seconds, apparently.

S. L.

jimmbow said:

Also, Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory should also be noted. It has some of the best cel animation I have seen for a mech anime!
pretty much all of UC gundam falls into the specified timeframe and since it is one big connected story (0079 -> (0080 War in a Pocket) -> stardust -> zeta -> CCA) you could count it as one i guess. And Zeta definitely is the highpoint of gundam for me too. :D

JimmyV

Banned
MetatronM said:
I still need to see more Zeta. I saw maybe the first 6 episodes or so a while ago, but never got to see more. Is it better to watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam before Zeta, though?

For story purposes, yes. Also, Zeta is a lot better animated, so it will be weird going back to watch 0079 after Zeta. Unless you dont want to watch 0079, just read a summary and go for Zeta. The story implements from 0079 in Zeta are that huge anyway. But it is a direct sequel, so yeah. Read a summary at least.

harSon

Banned
EviLore said:
0083 Stardust Memory, yeah, good call.

Re: Gunbuster, it has an interesting take on the time effects of space travel at extreme speeds, but it's otherwise unremarkable fanservice crap. And it's annoying as hell -- how often does the protagonist need to start sobbing? Every five seconds, apparently.

It's a step up from Evangelion (The Anime I last watched) from what I've seen, specifically the protagonist, Gainex managed to make the single most irritating and repulsive character I've ever had the displeasure to endure. I've only had the chance to watch the first episode of Gunbuster, would you say the main character is similar to Shinji? If so, I just might stop watching :lol

S. L.

DOBERMAN INC said:
Amazing list,Now I just need a way to actually acquire the series I have yet to see.

I have not purchased an anime dvd in ages,Does anyone have a good US store that carries these series and ships to the UK?

many of the older sets are out of print and hard to get, so ebay might be your best bet. and from my experience a lot us sellers are willing to ship to Europe if you ask them nicely and maybe provide them with a bit of info on how to ship.

harSon said:
I've only had the chance to watch the first episode of Gunbuster, would you say the main character is similar to Shinji? If so, I just might stop watching :lol
no, not at all

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
harSon said:
It's a step up from Evangelion (The Anime I last watched) from what I've seen, specifically the protagonist, Gainex managed to make the single most irritating and repulsive character I've ever had the displeasure to endure. I've only had the chance to watch the first episode of Gunbuster, would you say the main character is similar to Shinji? If so, I just might stop watching :lol
More Simon than Shinji, but more crying than sulking.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
jimmbow said:
So I guess the BDs are a must buy for anime fans then?
If you have a bd-player, unlike me, sure!

EviLore said:
Gunbuster, it has an interesting take on the time effects of space travel at extreme speeds, but it's otherwise unremarkable fanservice crap. And it's annoying as hell -- how often does the protagonist need to start sobbing? Every five seconds, apparently.
You liked just the time travel? did the epic mindblowing battle for mankind flew right over your head or what? yeah it had bare boobs and gym suits... so what? it's anime after all!. And Noriko, annoying? seriosuly? it's a great character, and they managed to develop it inmensly in just 6 episodes.
Anyway, all I can really say about Gunbuster is that it's the anime that's given me more goosebumps and teary eyes ever, barring the Miyazaki stuff of course.

DrForester said:
unico.jpg
7079_1.jpg

Classic, little known Osamu Tezuka films based on his Manga. Films were released in 1981, and 1983. In retrospect this would be the first anime I ever saw, Disney Channel used to run both of these. It's warm, it's fluffy, but it's still good entertainment.

I saw these both as a kid and enjoyed them.

IT was supposed to be licensed by some new upstart anime company last year, but I don't know what became of it.

Ah, this.

Hazaro said:
Forget something?

2qasm5k.jpg

What is this one? I like sci fi / robot Anime if its good I'd like to check it out.

I swear the very first time I watched Gunbuster,
the crux of the story was that sentient life was some sort of virus, and that the weird aliens attacking everything were the organisms immune system. Years later I watched it again and that was no where in the entire plot.

Was my original a bad fansub? Was the second copy years later a bad one? Or maybe I'm just totally nuts and thinking of a completely different show?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Was my original a bad fansub? Was the second copy years later a bad one? Or maybe I'm just totally nuts and thinking of a completely different show?
Possible. Horrible subbing can easily distort or ruin the plot of a show unless you understand a little of what they're saying in the first place, and subs based on chinese intermediaries aren't all that rare.

Oracle Dragon said:
What is this one? I like sci fi / robot Anime if its good I'd like to check it out.

the crux of the story was that sentient life was some sort of virus, and that the weird aliens attacking everything were the organisms immune system. Years later I watched it again and that was no where in the entire plot.

Gao Gai Gar. You can get the entire fucking series for under $50 from Amazon.

Do it.

lastendconductor

The Take Out Bandit said:
Gao Gai Gar. You can get the entire fucking series for under $50 from Amazon.

Do it.
How to watch GaoGaiGar
1. Watch the first 5-10 episodes
2. Skip to 30?-40?... when things get dire.
3. Watch the OVAs
4. ????
5. Profit
GORUDIONNN CRUSHAAAAA!!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oracle Dragon said:

I just finished ep 6 ten minutes ago and it was certainly in there. The Science lessons were nice, but the show itself I thought was only OK. GaoGaiGar simply blows Gunbuster out of the water for me with it's courage, mechs, and attack names :lol

So awesome it transcends time, etc. Not like the art changed from 1995 to 1997.
DKnight said:
How to watch GaoGaiGar
1. Watch the first 5-10 episodes
2. Skip to 30?-40?... when things get dire.
3. Watch the OVAs
4. ????
5. Profit
GORUDIONNN CRUSHAAAAA!!
I was hesitant to keep watching at first because I was told the first 20 eps (Out of 52) were just ok, I however really liked them (Mainly character introductions and equipment), but still well done and likable.

It would be like skipping episodes 1-3 of Gunbuster (Out of 6), not missing anything, but you should still watch them. :lol

The OVA is just incredible after watching the series.

Great thread. So many Anime fans today have no love for the old school. For shame.

Haha, as many a MLB gaffer knows, I'm a major Rumiko Takahashi fan (I admit Inuyasha is overrated, I still like it). I really like how Lum is a god damn insane stalker who ruins the lives of millions, yet we are supposed to like her. Although her series tend to suck hard after the first few volumes, I give her props that nobody reuses character archetypes better than she does.
For example:

Shinobu = Akane = Kegome :: Jealous, self-absorbed Schoolgirl

Lum = Shampoo = Kozue :: Aggressive obsessive girls who can't take a hint.

Mendou = Kuno :: Ultra Rich Cool-guy-wannabe samurai.

Mendou's lil' sis = Kodachi :: Mischievous little sister who fucks with older brother.

Ranma = Inuyasha :: Tough guy who pretends he hates women.

You also get the Immature old man with beak looking mouth (every series)

And the Domineering old woman with beak-looking mouth (every series)

Godai = Ataru = Miroku :: Dude who pushes luck too far with girls and ends up a loser.

I'm working my way through all of her major series. So far, I'd rank them: Maison Ikkoku>Urusei>Ranma>Inuyasha. Anybody who can make millions and millions of dollars out of the whole "Guy and girl who live together refuse to admit they like each other for 8 years" premise by reusing it 5 times over is impressive.

youta

Though my heart is saddened by the fact that my Candy Candy contribution was all but ignored, I regroup and counter with another classic shoujo anime:

glass.jpg

Garasu no Kamen - (1984)
The greatest acting rivalry ever seen. Who will triumph and finally become The Crimson Goddess???

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
jimmbow said:
For story purposes, yes. Also, Zeta is a lot better animated, so it will be weird going back to watch 0079 after Zeta. Unless you dont want to watch 0079, just read a summary and go for Zeta. The story implements from 0079 in Zeta are that huge anyway. But it is a direct sequel, so yeah. Read a summary at least.
That's what I thought. I do have some vague knowledge of the original series, though it's helter skelter at best. I'll look into it.

Foxix Von

Armitage III is a series I am deeply infatuated with, wikipedia dates it as '94 and another site at '95 So I hope this is an appropriate recommendation for this thread.
ArmitageTheThird.jpg

A cyberpunk anime OAV that's 4 episodes in length and revolves around Noami Armitage and her partner Ross Sylibus. Naomi is a new type of android called a third who is secretly living on Mars as a police agent. It is made apparent that many of these thirds are living secret lives among the Mars colony and soon riots begin and Armitage sets out to find the man responsible for the genocide of her people.

This is honestly, without a doubt my favorite anime series of all time. Perhaps not entirely deserving of the title but none the less my all time favorite.

I insist that if you do decide to purchase this, please purchase the OAV and NOT
the movie titled "Poly-Matrix".

The first time I watched this I saw poly-matrix, and while I loved it I was irked because it felt almost as if large portions were cut out of it, leaving certain things later in the movie to happen very quickly and dismissing the pace of the rest of the film. As soon as I looked it up online, sure enough that's exactly what they had done. They had taken a very large portion of the original work by cutting out nearly an hour of footage and sewing up what was left of "meat" of the story... needless to say the end result is a sorry excuse for a movie compared to the original.

Ah, and as for the sequel movie... While it's still a fun action flick it lacks any of the wonderful drama that Armitage faces in the original. It takes out most of the pondering of humanity and any internal struggles she has and just uses the fact that she's an android an excuse for all kinds of badassery.

Suzaku

I'll echo what some other posters have said, this is a fantastic list. It's also a bit sad, because for me the Eva era marks the end of a period of heavy anime viewing for me and I now realize that I am officially old. I seem to have the opposite problem, I've watched very little modern anime and I have a hard time trying to pick up something new. I guess I'll eventually try going through GAF's Top Anime List but it's hard to know where to start.

Also here's my obligatory "where's XXXXX". I would add Grave of the Fireflies and Arcadia of My Youth to the list.

DKnight said:
I just came here to say that Gunbuster is the best anime known to man.
y'know what, I watched Gunbuster: The Movie on Blu-ray and liked it, but it didn't blow me away. Is the series a whole lot better than the movie version?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
carlosp said:
Holy shit that one chapter of Dragonball makes so much more sense now.

I just rented Galaxy Express 999, Castle of Cagliostro and Akira. Never seen any of them.

Better not let me down, GAF.
EviLore said:
No, DBZ and YYH don't need any more attention, and they're also not exactly great shows overall.
DBZ maybe not (I just don't know!), but DB definitely gets a bad reputation that I don't think it deserves. From what I had heard about DBZ I had assumed DB was something it entirely isn't. Okay, mostly isn't.
Granted, I am speaking from only the manga and about 30 eps of the anime. But!

suffah

Does maths and stuff
vas_a_morir said:
Great thread. So many Anime fans today have no love for the old school. For shame.

Haha, as many a MLB gaffer knows, I'm a major Rumiko Takahashi fan (I admit Inuyasha is overrated, I still like it). I really like how Lum is a god damn insane stalker who ruins the lives of millions, yet we are supposed to like her. Although her series tend to suck hard after the first few volumes, I give her props that nobody reuses character archetypes better than she does.
For example:

Shinobu = Akane = Kegome :: Jealous, self-absorbed Schoolgirl

Lum = Shampoo = Kozue :: Aggressive obsessive girls who can't take a hint.

Mendou = Kuno :: Ultra Rich Cool-guy-wannabe samurai.

Mendou's lil' sis = Kodachi :: Mischievous little sister who fucks with older brother.

Ranma = Inuyasha :: Tough guy who pretends he hates women.

You also get the Immature old man with beak looking mouth (every series)

And the Domineering old woman with beak-looking mouth (every series)

Godai = Ataru = Miroku :: Dude who pushes luck too far with girls and ends up a loser.

I'm working my way through all of her major series. So far, I'd rank them: Maison Ikkoku>Urusei>Ranma>Inuyasha. Anybody who can make millions and millions of dollars out of the whole "Guy and girl who live together refuse to admit they like each other for 8 years" premise by reusing it 5 times over is impressive.

You think she recycles her own stuff? Heh, you should see how many series have ripped off her ideas.

lastendconductor

polyh3dron said:
y'know what, I watched Gunbuster: The Movie on Blu-ray and liked it, but it didn't blow me away. Is the series a whole lot better than the movie version?
I've not watched the movie, tbh, but the 6 eps were already very condensed so the movie must've cut a lot of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom