• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I more or less left GAF for my own reasons a few weeks ago (mostly about the time sink). Funny, now it'll stay firmly permanent this time.

I'd say "good luck" to the GAF team and new mods but I don't actually mean it. Fuck off.

Sad, because this felt like one of the few truly GamerGate-free forums around. Just had to Milkshake Duck. For fuck's sake.

EDIT: If it wasn't self evident, feel free to ban me.

EDIT2: It would be even better of my entire message/post history disppeared from the internet too, but, well, one can only hope so much for a forum to just disappear and never return...

vivalanwo

Banned
I mean, this whole story seemed overblown even if you took every word of the accuser at face value. Chick gets totally blasted with a dude in a hotel room, gets naked in the shower, his similarly drunk ass follows her in, and then leaves when she rejects his "advance". Add in the credibility questions and this whole thing seems like a massive overreaction to a relatively innocuous non-criminal act.

On the other hand, nuking Off-Topic seems pretty lame and unnecessary.
rofl jesus christ

Rpgmonkey

Spooky! 👀

Think the couple of people I mainly spoke to who play import games and RPGs left, so that’s about it for me.

Mahadev

Just fyi guys, the discord morons are definitely brigading the site. It will be hilarious when their shitty new ultra-authoritarian forum crashes and burns.

The gaming community on GAF is second to none - there just isn't a comparable level of passion elsewhere. It's for that reason that I'm in it for the long haul.

Despite all the accusations of sexual misconduct and harassment in this industry in the last few years, I've barely lifted a finger against it admittedly.

But now, when it hits close to home (and I do consider this a home), I find myself wanting to actually do something about it.

If I can spend hours talking about video games on this forum, I can take the time to come to the defense of women.

I'll be better. And I hope those of you who were as withdrawn from the conversation as I was, will do the same.

Best,
Charles

Neece

Removing discussion of politics and social issues while allowing talks about music and movies and books is nonsensical. What if the movie is ABOUT a social issue or something political? Half of Kendrick Lamar’s content is political. The same can be said for many games.

That decision kills discussion far worse than any problems you had in the past. I’m kind of surprised how shortsighted the decision is, honestly.

IronLich

Just happy to see the place back, is all. Serious accusations aside, this place is a banner for gaming news and sales discussion (and leaks! GLORIOUS LEAKS!). I can understand keeping GAF games focused, and I can definitely understand the downsizing of political discussion, as there are plenty of other places on the internet to discuss that. Do whatever you gotta do to keep hostilities down. I know that GAF can heal. I just don't know how much time it will take.

To those of you who might be unaware: There's a successor forum going up called "ResetERA" that should be up by the end of the week. Similar in structure to GAF, and a lot of the old GAF userbase is flocking there.

If you're looking for a similar place to talk games, movies, TV, etc. that'll be a solid place to go. Plus you don't have to support Tyler, which is a huge plus.

I loved GAF but I'm throwing in the towel. Can't bring myself to support it anymore. Hope to see some of you around.

Peace.
Tons of people aren't flocking there. But it is a smart strategy to keep saying it to try and bring in more.

TheShanenanigan

Neo Member
Evilore,

Regardless of the allegations, I really don't think blowing up essentially half of NeoGAF, including every non-gaming-related subcommunity and discussion, is a good solution. It's not going to address any perceived "toxicity" issues in the community, it's just taking a giant sledgehammer to the community itself.

To take such a drastic measure in overhauling NeoGAF itself, as a response to a personal attack, doesn't come off as a sincere attempt to improve the community; It comes off as selfish.

I talked about politics, sports, anime, manga, one piece, dragon ball, and current events just as often as I did gaming, if not even more so. Thousands of other users had their own sub-communities and support groups that they were a part of. I think you are making a terrible mistake in dismantling all of that. I loved having a one-stop shop to discuss all my hobbies and interests that was much easier to navigate than social media. Yeah, people posted shit on youtube and in other forums about NeoGAF, but any toxicity seemed to be perfectly manageable by the community, at least, until 48 hours ago.

I will continue to use GAF as one of my gaming news sources, but I'm rather disappointed that you've decided to resolve a huge controversy surrounding you by dismantling the community, instead of changing leadership. I'll begin looking elsewhere for a community to call "home."

I concur.

I've been on GAF for close to a decade now, left it for a couple of years, and come back to this mess of a response. OT might have been a minority, but it was a significant part of the community and by outright removing political & social discourse from the website you're shifting the site closer to the alt-right.

Gaming in all its honor, but nothing exists in a vacuum - and by treating it as such you're no different from the other toxic cesspools on the internet with their abhorrent views on women, sexuality, and humanity.

etern1ty

Neo Member
You know what I've always hated most about Neogaf?

I rarely felt like I could speak my mind. You risked being called something terrible for simply asking a question, or asking for more evidence, or simply being on the fence about something. I realize people hate toxicity, but the ban culture here -fostered- toxicity because the bandwagon attack mobs were allowed to shower insults at will... even if the insults themselves were hate driven ['cunt', for example].

If you asked a question, you were accused of baiting. Do you guys realize how toxic that is? People should always be allowed to ask questions. If you asked for more evidence, you were done. Heck, I fucking hate Trump. But if I mention that? Then clearly, I'm lying... right? I'm just setting up for something else. Bullshit. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. I've been far more left than almost every one here for longer than most here have been alive... but just because I don't agree with their agenda I risk being painted as a fascist, which is absurd. That's a culture of fear. That's censorship through ideology shaming. I guarantee my anarchy trumps your fucking Clinton loving nonsense, but god forbid I say anything against Clinton, because I get painted as a Trump loving fascist. That's sick. Sick, sick, sick. Broken minds led by broken ideology ruled by broken moderation that can't handle being questioned.

Now, you know what? I don't know if you're guilty of anything. I don't know if what was said to happen happened, and honestly, even if it did, I don't know what signals were or weren't sent, or what level of miscommunication happened. So I don't particularly like that you were summarily executed by mob. My guess is you're full of shit... but I know that's just a guess. I know I have no idea. And I won't execute you for it, just like I wouldn't execute Naughty Dog, even though it was so much fun for people here to leap to ridiculous conclusions based on a single tweet.

But you know what? You fostered an environment that summarily executes with no evidence. So while I hate it, and I'll -always- be on the side of 'wait for more information' regardless of the topic, I can't say I can't see the sick humor of it all. Some people need to learn by example, and if you're truly innocent of all charges, then I hope next time someone gets accused of something you support the presumption of innocence. This is not saying I don't think horrible things happen all the time - they do... my wife has been sexually harassed at work and I know how hard it is to come forward and rock the boat.

If you're guilty, then I hope you learn. Evolve. Grow. Become a better person. Everyone can change, even though some swear no one can.

If you're innocent, then also learn. Evolve. Grow. The culture of 'no proof needed' you fostered is sick... it flies in the face of everything our collective cultures have learned and fought for over the past few millennia. You reaped what you sowed, and it's either ironic, or horrifying, based on your guilt... which I can never know.

I'll probably get banned for this post. I don't think I said anything worth being banned for. In fact, I think this is a pretty fair assessment of both your actions, the accusations against you, and the general culture of this site. If you ban me, fine. If you don't, I'll still be here, posting, because, honestly, I don't judge a community on a single individual member. Heck, I don't judge -you- based on actions of a previous you, because I know people change over time.

People learn. People grow. People evolve. Maybe you have, maybe you haven't. Now it's time for you to do so, and in the process, evolve this site so it doesn't become an echo chamber of toxicity against anything deemed toxic.

Had to log on just to give this post a big thumbs up.

You hit the nail with the hammer.

When I first joined the forum a decade ago, it was a great place to be and talk about games and even spend some time in the OT, but over the last couple of years this toxic culture was allowed to foster until Frankenstein was killed by his own monster. Didn't help that the mods continually helped it manifest into something terrible.

It's painfully ironic.

Sota4077

I'm going to say I'm disappointed that there are so many account suicides.

I think we could still keep our maturity in check, even when emotions are high flying.

Without approving or disapproving of anyone's actions, just ask yourself is this how you really saw the GAF community all these years? Just ready to throw yourself away instead of sitting down and having a conversation?

I mostly lurk on GAF. I love the discussions as well, but c'mon. Lets not even pretend for a second that this place is some shining beacon on a hill when it comes to meaningful respectful and deep discussion. It is largely people posting memes and shit while hopping on the general bandwagon of the week. Same as any other website.

jokkir

I don't get how making the mod team anonymous is going to help the site. So many times the mods would abuse their power and users would call them out but can't even do that now. Like how would the userbase even trust mods if they can't even know who they are and have to trust a small handful of people to pick them. Especially when there were clear issues with past mods

vivalanwo

Banned
Fuck you Tyler, you small minded, small dicked buffoon. I hope that you die peniless and alone, having lost everything you worked your life on and seen every single person you ever belittled find more success and happiness than you. As you fellate your new alt-right buddies like Jontron and Pewdiepie while Colin Moriarty sticks his even smaller dick up your clogged up anus, I hope you realize that in the grand scheme of things, you're about as significant as an ant.

You're a sick man, and your body is sick, and your mind is sick. And your soul if you have one. You will see everything you ever cared about turn to dust on the wind, and then you will feel your cock explode into a pile of roaches who have decided that even they find you disgusting. Enjoy your failing forum, fuck face.

Good post. When I think alt right I truly think of pewdiepie because he once said a word I didn't like. Trump's america never ended.

I completely disagree with the proposed Off-Topic changes. What's wrong with engaging in social discourse? I understand banning users who cross the line, but allegations against Evilore should not be cause for less discussion avenues on NeoGAF. You cannot fault users for reacting the way they did in the face of the allegations directed at Evilore.

This course of action is not only childish, but the social topics often discussed in the Off-Topic section are absolutely inconsequential or unrelated to the allegations against Tyler Malka.

Throwing a blanket over social topics and sweeping them under the rug is not going to improve the forum in any way. If anything, you are incurring the anger of more users by denying them perks they previously enjoyed.

I remember registering with my first main Gaming-Age account on my Sega Dreamcast a little after launch. I used to write out long elaborate posts in a notepad before posting them using that horrid controller in the PlanetWeb browser. And when I first got my computer, I spent at least a third of my time GAFfing.

It's going to take a little more than a couple *absolutely terribly written* public addresses to get rid of me.

vegohead

Fuck you Tyler, you small minded, small dicked buffoon. I hope that you die peniless and alone, having lost everything you worked your life on and seen every single person you ever belittled find more success and happiness than you. As you fellate your new alt-right buddies like Jontron and Pewdiepie while Colin Moriarty sticks his even smaller dick up your clogged up anus, I hope you realize that in the grand scheme of things, you're about as significant as an ant.

You're a sick man, and your body is sick, and your mind is sick. And your soul if you have one. You will see everything you ever cared about turn to dust on the wind, and then you will feel your cock explode into a pile of roaches who have decided that even they find you disgusting. Enjoy your failing forum, fuck face.

What is wrong with you? Do you have any decency as a human being?

Glad Gaf is back. Hopefully dating age can come back with the new off topic.

grimmiq

Fuck it, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

It seems the only way for this to resolve itself is for Evilore to prove his innocence, there is a history of this shit with him, so I can't give him the benefit of the doubt. So either he needs to present the evidence/witnesses he claims to have, or her to say her account was hacked (not saying it was). If that were to happen, then hell, we got rid of a bunch of alts and fakes, if he can prove his innocence and people focus on the 2012(?) incident(s?), then they should have left when that happened, rather than wait for the mass exodus.

If he can't prove his innocence, then fuck him, the forum, and the people burning their accounts by outing their alt-right bullshit.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
NtXFNSN.gif

Apt.

Ponto

Unconfirmed Member
This is saddening. I completely disagree with the direction you're taking with the site, moreso the tremendous amount of time it took for you to give a response. It doesn't matter if the website was down. You have the whole internet available for you. That spoke so much about this whole situation it's baffling you're just treating that as a minor thing among the whole situation.

You talk about protecting your mods, but you call them "celebrities", which I imagine has to do with most of the community following them after the whole situation came down. It's pretty clear Neogaf will never be the same it was once, and I trully would have suggested for you to step down until this whole situation was finally clear, if you really have nothing to fear and wish that Gaf remains a community.

I lurked a long time here, so I wasn't directly a part of the community, but it still is a shame that it had to end like this. To those who are leaving, see you on the other side.

Kebiinu

Banned
Fuck you Evilore, ugly ass white trash. Hope you and your remaining community rot in hell. Have fun beating your dicks under this pompous shit of a man, as y'all devolve into the very places you hate.

Smell ya later.

HariKari

I don't get how making the mod team anonymous is going to help the site. So many times the mods would abuse their power and users would call them out but can't even do that now. Like how would the userbase even trust mods if they can't even know who they are and have to trust a small handful of people to pick them. Especially when there were clear issues with past mods

Lessons should hopefully have been learned. Some of the departed clearly played favorites. It's not like you got a message telling you who banned you to begin with anyways.

dolabla

I'm just gonna throw this out there.

Even if you are innocent (which I tend to believe you might be) this place has allowed this far left mentality that "no woman could ever lie about sexual harassment" to thrive on here. And many posters were banned if they ever dare questioned a story like this in the OT. Of course you always want to believe the victim, but people do lie. People can be and are falsely accused.

This place was so far left and out of touch it was insane to read at times. The gaming side has always been pretty good as long as politics weren't involved, but the OT was a shit show. Many posters were lost due to challenging the far left mentality that has thrived on this forum.

I hope that if you're truly innocent, I hope you get your due. That is all.

bro who the fuck cares what gamergate thinks. there's more important stuff at hand than what a bunch of trolls think.
I know....I'm working on it. Seeing them come out of the woodwork these last few days, pretending they had the moral high ground, made me sick. But you're right. Not sure why I give a fuck about them.

Evilore, is there going to be a lawsuit? Because if what you say is true, it needs to be proven without doubt.

I never called you or the accuser any names or jumped to conclusions because this is an "ongoing" situation. But it really needs closure, both for you and the community at large.

joe2187

Banned
Instead of facing allegations head on, you nuke an entire community of thousands and thousands of gamers and communities because you're nothing but a fucking coward.

How fucking transparent is your "Statement"

YOU BLEW UP THE FUCKING SITE BECAUSE YOU CANT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT!

Nice way to cover your ass you fucking dipshit.

ghostjoke

Banned
Did you really see this going any other way?

No one connected with the management of this site, past/present/future, is worth shit for how they shut down this issue when it occasionally popped up. Bans and deletions. Like the rest of the garbage getting aired at the moment, it finally bubbled up and your statements + your past aren't doing you any favours. It's over. Let it go.

Just to be clear: this goes for the mods too. Taking a stand when it gets too hot to be ignored means jack and any offshoots involving them have that taint.

I guess I have a small part too as a user, even if I ensured my visiting generated no ad revenue. Some great and passionate users with the OTs, but the core was always rotten.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Years ago this was a place to have a fun discussion about games, watch some console fanboy meltdowns, and join in on some off-topic communities. Now the very circle jerk extremism you fostered turned on you because you took too long to realize the condition it ended up as.

Honestly, I couldn't really stand how bad off-topic changed and found myself only coming here for news on games and a few of the OT communities. Maybe a return to the roots will help, but I dunno. Might be too late for most of us.

It'll be interesting to see how these allegations unfold in the near future. If we ever learn more on it.

I always suspected evilore was a fucking rapist from the way he behaved in any thread involving women's issues but thank you for removing all doubt. it's really very impressive how one person can fuck up so much in the span of 48 hours. like holy shit dude.

Velcro Fly

Going to miss wrassle GAF (i did last night during TLC) and baseball GAF and CFB GAF. OT was great when you were in community threads.

Evilore is a liar. His handling of the amirox situation, coddling a toxic pedophile for years, then pretending to not know him when consequences arrived should have been my last straw, but I enjoyed the forum. Deleting and banning anyone who dared bring it up should have been the last straw. Creating a toxic, personality driven mod team that played fast and loose based on their personal preferences should have been the last straw.

Deleting half of the site, doubling down on anonymous heavy handed modding, and clearly learning zero lessons means I'm good never coming here again. Seeing evilore hoist by his own petard by the very toxic environment he created is just icing on the cake.

Please permanent ban my account. You'll never get another click from me.

Wamb0wneD

Please ban me forever. I wont support a site run by a rapist and his collaborators.

Thanks and fuck you.

I always suspected evilore was a fucking rapist from the way he behaved in any thread involving women's issues but thank you for removing all doubt. it's really very impressive how one person can fuck up so much in the span of 48 hours. like holy shit dude.

I don't get comments like these. So it's proven now he harrassed her? And rapist? If the allegations are true he jumped into her shower and as soon he realized she didn't want it got out again. If that's rape to you I don't even know. Reads like harrassment to me. Or did I miss something?

The hyperbole and conclusion jumping regarding all of this is baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom