• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamite

Boy, am I ever that glad political and social issues exist entirely separately from video games and other entertainment media, and the two have never come into contact and never will! That sure is convenient!

mhayes86

I was completely oblivious to what has been going on since I don't use Twitter or follow anyone here in the community. I had to Google why the site was down.

I'm glad to see GAF back up, but good god the state of the place right now. I think I'll take the week off and stop back to see how it is, or figure out where everyone is going. Nuking OT right before the November Confessions thread is really disappointing.

jokkir

Lessons should hopefully have been learned. Some of the departed clearly played favorites. It's not like you got a message telling you who banned you to begin with anyways.

Yeah, that's why it;s better to be more transparent. No lessons will be learned from now on since no one know who did what and who to complain about. This is a mess.

Raptomex

I don't understand what all the name calling and account suicides accomplish. If you don't like GAF, don't visit.
I don't get comments like these. So it's proven now he harrassed her? And rapist? If the allegations are true he jumped into her shower and as soon he realized she didn't want it got out again. If that's rape to you I don't even know. Reads like harrassment to me.

The hyperbole and conclusion jumping regarding all of this is baffling.
Yeah, seriously.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
I've been part of this community for longer than I'd care to admit. There wasn't anything else like it out there on the internet. I will finally be stepping away, but I want to do so in a positive way. Maybe you'll read this and it'll have some effect. I doubt it. But I want to leave on these terms.

EviLore, you need to change. You gotta work on yourself, man, and to the degree that you do depends on whether the allegations are true. Even if they aren't, you still got some work. In some ways, the way you are is entirely understandable. By all appearances, you've never really had any hardships in your life. You got lucky, got rich, and have been coasting ever since. Or maybe that has nothing to do with anything; perhaps this is who you truly are. I don't know.

I won't say whether or not I believe the allegations about you. However, the reason why people believe them is because they fit of pattern of behavior from you. I could cite that post you made in 2012 about the encounter with the Spanish woman, but there's something more recent and far more effective: A little bit before this, you were banning people too harshly, left and right in a thread about sexual harassment. Several great posters went down. Moreover, in response to the recent allegations, instead of looking inward, you've closed off-topic. It's a baffling decision. What is the logical process of you being accused of sexual assault and thinking closing off-topic will do anything? No politics? Like, what? There's politics in everything. By trying to keep politics out of things, you will cultivate the exact same culture that you have decried in Gamergate. There's a reason why they don't like to talk politics in videogames.

Your response isn't surprising to me. During my time here, I got to know several mods, and even at one point became friends with many of them. When they discussed you, there was one, universal comment: your management style needs a lot of work. You undermined them a lot. You put them in awkward positions (hello, Amir0x). You're impulsive. To be short, it seemed like the forum grew too big for you. It needed someone like Stump or Cyan. Or both.

I hope you become a better person in the future.

Regards,

Lizzy

MsVirion

Banned
I'm not going to say anything cruel or angry. It's not my style.

I don't post much, I mostly lurk because my anxiety made me terrified I'd somehow say something dumb without meaning to and wind up banned. It took me almost 2 years and 3 attempts to get an account here and I didn't want to risk it.

I'll cut the melodrama there and simply ask for a ban, please. I don't want to be associated with this forum while EvilLore owns it. Have a lovely day.

golfham

Glad to see the site back. I check it compulsively, so my weekend didn't feel right.

We just witnessed an attempted coup by the former mods over a unsubstantiated facebook post. People are trying to break up the community and steal members, and that's pretty shameful.

I don't want to see this community go, so I'll do my best to contribute as much as possible.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I just want to say two separate things: NeoGAF has been a big part of my life for 10 years now. I was banned under the 'omg rite' for being too argumentative. And I was, I was an ass. But I read it every day and I still felt like I was part of the community.

In maybe January of this year, after being off for a few years, I commented on one of Tyler's tweets, thanking him for a progressive announcement he had made. Stump reached out to me via a DM and said they were unbanning me. He helped me change my name to ZeoVGM and set up a new email. I was floored and so damn happy to be part of the community again.

I'm close to going down a ranting hole but my point is, I love this community and I hate that it seems to be imploding after becoming part of it again this year. Obviously, with the accusations, that is not the most important aspect of this story. But I just wanted to get that out there.

The other thing I wanted to comment on is the decision that was made about the OT.

While I partly understand keeping it closed for a little bit after what happened, I deeply disagree with the choice to keep politics out of the OT after.

NeoGAF's community and reaction toward current events and politics is part of what makes the site what it is. Banning talk of that, to be quite honest, is giving a big win to GamerGate and every other racist, sexist, homophobic, piece of trash group out there.

The reason that disgusting group on not-Reddit exists is because those people are full of hate and they despise the fact that GAF is one of the most progressive and open communities in gaming. If GAF is going to continue, that shouldn't be thrown away. Yes, it can be difficult at time. That's okay.

What's happening in the world right now is important and this community is on the right side of history. Don't silence that, guys.

That's all, I guess. I still need to fully process a lot of this but wanted to say that. Thanks.

sinkfla87

Did anyone here really care about internal, private drama while we were posting away about games, politics and other nonsense? I stayed here for news and for friends. I hope the virtuous revolutionary defectors are doing background checks on their McDonald's store manager before allowing them to get that $5 profit from them during their lunch breaks, you know just in case they're financially supporting an evil doer.

Let's bring the OT back sooner than later.

I was also having a discussion with a mod about my recent bannings a few days ago. I take it those mods have left the building?

Oh well.

Glad to see GAF is back though! The walking dead thread was missed

So, categorical denial, it's the fault of the whole Internet except for you, and the solution is more modding and if you talk back to mods, you get banned.

Sounds like NeoGAF!

Fuck this place, and fuck you. Anyone with any dignity is going or gone. You reap what you sow.

I know....I'm working on it. Seeing them come out of the woodwork these last few days, pretending they had the moral high ground, made me sick. But you're right. Not sure why I give a fuck about them.

People do this shit all the time, why is anyone surprised? We do the same thing on GAF from time to time. We take the moral high ground about something we dislike. It's just what people do. We root for our teams and boo the others.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I joined this forum many years ago because I really liked the site itself. It was fun browsing the "post your setup" and "post your pickups" threads. Then there were also the amazing E3 threads, the awesome OTs, and all the latest news that would get posted here that made this site unlike anything else. Plus the community here has been great during my experience and I've enjoyed giving lots of advice in the "I Need A New PC" thread over the years.

I understand that the site belongs to EvilLore and he owns it personally, but Saturday afternoon when I visited the site and saw that anyone who ask about this topic had their thread locked and were banned... that's the first time I ever felt like something wrong was going on. I felt like there should have been a central thread where at least the OP said "A statement is coming" and then as long as people were respectful of each other they could have discussed things there.

I don't know much about EvilLore's personal life nor have I ever met him but I'm here for the community, not him. I never knew about all the behind the scenes controversy with the site, I was just here to talk about some videogames in my spare time. If the site continues then I'll probably continue to stick around, but I will be observing how things play out from here and how members are treated.

Regardless of guilt or innocence I hope that EvilLore is reading all of the comments and really pays attention to what the community has said and is saying.

Instead of facing allegations head on, you nuke an entire community of thousands and thousands of gamers and communities because you're nothing but a fucking coward.

How fucking transparent is your "Statement"

YOU BLEW UP THE FUCKING SITE BECAUSE YOU CANT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT!

Nice way to cover your ass you fucking dipshit.

Yep.

Hey at least we can relish in the fact that the site is no longer worth shit.

HariKari

Yeah, that's why it;s better to be more transparent. No lessons will be learned from now on since no one know who did what and who to complain about. This is a mess.

The bans are logged. That's how a mod got caught banning people quietly after the fact. There will be more scrutiny moving forward, I'm sure. I'm not worried about it. Based on what I've read, those that left had a certain style that GAF is better off without.

joe2187

Banned
What did you expect Evilore? that you can just come back from this and wipe the slate clean?

You're fucked, this site is done. It's trash and the changes you make will only foster and encourage more trash like you.

Delete yourself.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
It's not my place to make judgements based on a he said, she said scenario. However the way that both parties are handling this speaks volumes to me. She changed a FB post to private because she didn't want screenshots getting out more than they already had. He called her unstable and said that anything that happened was consensual.

Unfortunately the truth will ellude, but what I do know is that I no longer want to be associated with NeoGAF. I've had a lot of fun on this forum over the last seven years, but this is it for me.

I'm not going to ask for a ban, or post anything incendiary to get myself banned. I'm just going to stop visiting this site voluntarily. Between all the secret santas, drunk gaf threads, and LTTPs I'll miss the good times.

BPoole

Fuck you Evilore, ugly ass white trash. Hope you and your remaining community rot in hell. Have fun beating your dicks under this pompous shit of a man, as y'all devolve into the very places you hate.

Smell ya later.

Hey look, a racially charged insult. The forum is better off with you gone

If you won't allow politics in off topic at least allow a community thread like PoliGAF to continue. It was a such a good place to learn about the news of the day in one place.

Saturday

Oh man, Kotaku's got an article about GAF in it's current state. We're one hell of a dumpster fire now, except it's like a dumpster fire at maximum velocity. A garbage barge a la Speed 2 set ablaze.

As someone who basically 100% stuck to the gaming side, I'm fine with OT being gone, or be specific to things like Fitness, or Comics/Graphic Novels/Manga, etc. I don't think Politics should be on anything but a politics forum/site. I think they're the most polarizing thing you could include in your forum.

Moderation should not be anons, it should be clear who is a moderator, harassment is unfortunately always a possibility with anyone, moderators should be able to deal with it in any way shape or form responsibly and maturely. Making them all Anons is taking away public knowledge that *should* be out there.

And as for your 'statement', well, you've barely provided anything in regards to the "allegations." I believe you did what was said of you, due to things you've said before, publicly.

I can't in any respects support this site, so I will run an Adblock 24/7, if I'm on this site until it's either in new management, I'm banned due to this, or you've clearly been framed.

As of right now I don't believe you, but I'm not willing to lose the only forum that was (hopefully will be in the future) moderated well (at least on the gaming side).

Banning people for being on the Right is and always has been stupid, and I'm sure it's why a lot of people vehemently hate this site and call it horrible or an echo chamber.

Factual and polite opinionated (as two different things, I don't mean as an oxymoron) discussion on anything should be allowed (With certain obvious restrictions), and not simply tolerated either.

All in all, I love this site, but I can't support it or how it's been ran.

And anyone who's being a complete cunt and posting disgusting pictures, fuck off, seriously. Why do I have to see that shit when you're mad at someone else?

Costa Kid

Remaining depoliticized is crucial for healthy discussion about anything (besides politics itself, of course). I sincerely hope this is maintained.
No. Being more tolerant, open-minded and progressive is crucial for maintaining healthy political discourse.

Every time there was a disagreement on a political thread here, you were alt-left and if you didn’t agree you were alt-right. Wasn’t a very liberal forum at all.

vivalanwo

Banned
I am a raging alcoholic. No lie, I am having my third 75/25 Jack Coke right now. I have no regrets, it's who I am.

I'm divorced, somewhat from my own faults and somewhat from hers. It happens.

I have a few kids out there. One I know for sure to be mine, but I ain't paying for any of them. That makes me a deadbeat father I guess.

I work a dead end job, making dead end money, which is a situation that will never improve due to my lack of education and the motivation to further it.

I'll never be internet famous (infamous?) like you. But that's probably for the better.

In the end I will die alone, unloved, and forgotten. Buried in a paupers grave with nobody to mourn my loss.

But you know what you slimey piece of shit? None of that matters, because at least I can say this: I NEVER SEXUALLY ASSAULTED A WOMAN AND BLAMED HER. Seriously, you fucking pathetic spec of a man, that alone makes you far worse than me. And here's why...

1: I will die forgotten, you will live on forever on the internet as the rapist who ran a gaming forum.

2: Same as number one. (I'm working back here, did your elf intelligence pick that up yet?)

3: You life was this forum, which will now forever be tainted by the RAPIST that runs it. It is your legacy.

4: My kids will never know me, and never know my sins. Any child unfortunate to have you as a father will eventually google their daddies name, and then have to ask you sexually assaulted women. Have fun with that.

5: Any woman that knows you will know your game. Good luck finding true love now, you don't deserve it.

6: If you aren't a raging booze hound yet, you will be soon. As your world crumbles around you, and everything you have worked so hard for vanishes, that bottle will just look better and better. You'll give in, it's only a matter of time.

All in all, you're a fuckstain upon the gaming community at large and quite frankly an amazingly ugly human being. Enjoy watching your empire burn, because lord knows the rest of us are.

P.S: With an apology like that, GAF isn't the place to post. If you want to play the victim in all of this and be held like a baby, go to 4chan. I hear they love people that victim blame and treat women as objects. You'll fit right in.

Haha holy shit this is a good post.

Camjo-Z

Not surprised that OT is gone for now. The number of people committing account suicide on Gaming side alone is a doozy of a clean up job, I expect it'll come back once that dies down.

Prurient

Banned
Hey I think you're a 'mark', you stupid cunt. Why don't you grab my ass, hard, to show me what a man you are.

All we can hope is that one day you assault the wrong person and find yourself in the morgue.

xJavonta

Banned
Schattenjäger;252756327 said:
Who said anything about unsolicited? It's a club, people party, people grind, people lead each other on

Are you fucking for real dude? Are you SERIOUS?

Being at a club doesn't mean you want to be touched by a fucking stranger, you goddamn basement dwelling imbicile. Maybe leave your house and talk to a real person for once and you'd realize that.

Maligna

Banned
It wasn't just this one incident that you mentioned in your post. You have a history of this, in case you've forgotten.

I'll be taking my leave now. Ban my butt on the way out of that's what gives you your jollies.

Battlechili

Banned
The future of NeoGAF will be a return to what many of us have come here for, a place where we can gather together and enjoy our shared hobby of video games. For a short time, Off-Topic Discussion and Off-Topic Community will be closed so that we can rediscover that. We'll be starting with a clean slate when they come back. However, the focus will be on the many other hobbies we may have like TV, movies, anime, writing, music, etc. Political and social discourse will not be allowed in the new Off-Topic. Those types of discussions greatly added to the harsh and unwelcoming atmosphere of Off-Topic, which pushed many users away.

Moderation will also see changes. Over the years, moderators changed from simply people who made sure discussion stay civil into personalities. It's because of that, many were targeted for harassment and other things. This shouldn't be happening to them. We've taken action to protect these people by making moderation anonymous. There will be no more red-names that single them out nor will there be a list of who is one.
One question:
Since the intent is to try and make this a more hobby oriented, less political site, and since moderation changes are going to take place, and since the goal is to make the site return to being a place to gather to discuss and enjoy video games:

Will there still be bans made on the discussion of certain games that come out? As it was before:
  • Huniepop 2
  • Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & the Monster Seal
  • Hatred
  • Criminal Girls: Invite Only
  • Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors
  • Monster Monpiece
  • Moero Chronicle
  • Moero Crystal
were all banned from discussion, and no one could make threads on them. You couldn't even make threads to discuss them in a negative sense; people simply weren't allowed to talk about them, and for some of them, the reasons were very political and were focused on and associated with who was developing them. Huniepop 2 in particular suffered this especially. I know a lot of people liked Huniepop (I thought it was decent though it suffers a bit as a dating sim since you're encouraged to date everyone), and Huniecam was...liked by a couple people I guess. I was disappointed when Huniepop 2 was banned, and I believe there may have been at least a few people who would've liked to have been able to speculate about the game as well as discuss and compare it on release.

Will things still be this way? The disallowance of certain games from being discussed was one of my past grievances with Neogaf. None of these games were pornographic, and they were games sold in the West with many different aspects (gameplay mechanics, music, art, story, etc) that could be discussed about them. I always found it tragic that people weren't allowed to discuss certain types of games here, as this is a gaming website at the end of the day. Even if you don't like them, is it not important to be able to talk about and say so? To complain and say why these games are bad in various aspects?
Sorry, I turned this question into an argument.
Basically my question is, will people still be prevented from discussing these games, and will other games that may come out have the possibility of being banned from discussion?

Kaiterra

Banned
You're a coward and a scumbag and you've never even been creative or good at covering your own ass. I've known you were a piece of shit for years and this site would be better without you and so have hundreds of others. Pulling this martyr act is outright pathetic. And going by the way you're describing the new direction here and the people who are happy to see it, this place is never going to be GAF again, it'll either be little more than an empty shell of itself until you have to close it or build itself back up into another Gamergate shithole in a year's time. Fuck you Evilore and fuck anyone who decides to stay a part of this hell website.

AY IT'S BRONSONLEE

SOMEONE LITERALLY GAVE ME THEIR ACCOUNT SO I COULD SHIT ON YOU

RESIGN YOU FUCK

www.fuckoffdipshit.com

LOL I love this

Honestly, you're full of it. And anyone who swallows what you're saying is equally as stupid. You've annihilated any goodwill you could have possibly have accrued over the years with your lies and inability to own up to your mistakes, and you clearly have shown no signs of changing.

Have fun with your fans, since they're the only ones who will give you the time of day.

Nailed it. This forum is just for sycophants, hypocrites and reactionary nerdbabies now.

Schattenjäger;252752268 said:
Glad GAF is back .. and like the new direction
Cheers and Godspeed!

Excellent new direction, well received by our local crypto-Nazis!

If you come to a forum about games, and you post something not about games, that's not "limiting free speech". This isn't a "free speech forum", it's a video game forum. Talk about fucking video games, it's not complicated.

You're just happy you won't get owned anymore you dipshit.

But you probably will because you're that fucking stupid.

I'm happy the OT is getting away from politics. It was a total shitshow.

I mean yeah I can see how you'd feel that way when your politics are ass.

Thing is, 'Focusing on games', is just a smoke screen. It's trying to hit a reset button, but it's not a very good way of doing that. It comes off as heavy-handed and paranoid and avoidant. It's bad strategy.

There's lots of great groups, I'm not denying that at all. In fact, I think only bringing Gaming back was a definite mistake and he should have brought everything back and done a proper, clear statement. This is just obfuscation.

Tyler, I think you should hire me as your PR guy. I charge $360 US per hour.

You and Dennis would make a good pair.

Honestly, if you cared at all about this site, you'd step down and give it over to someone else. Until then you're doing nothing but spitting on everything this forum usually fought for (sometimes to an unhealthy degree). And this just sets the precedent for even more toxic/gross behavior to thrive. "Oh if the owner can get away and deflect, I guess it's okay for me to do it, too." "Lol I only grabbed her ass to show her who's boss, ya know, playful like"

Griss

A neogaf without the shitty OT and endless American politics poisoning the well was always my dream, just a shame it had to come around like this.

We've lost a lot of good users, next couple of weeks will be rough.

Perhaps it's my background working as an intern in a criminal defence firm when I was in law school (and seeing plenty of false accusations), but I always follow the 'innocent until proven guilty' mantra, even with my personal judgement. Fortunately that was always my stance on here, even in OT, so there's no hypocrisy from me and I'm happy to stick around.

I really like how none of the people hyper pissed about this were this pissed about one of GAF's most beloved leaders and members being a kiddy diddler.

Amirox? He was hated by everyone and led nothing at all. I joined in 2013 - a long time ago - and I think he was already a demodded irrelevant fuck by then.

And anyway, it doesn't reflect on the rest of the users whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom