• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
I'm not well known I believe, but I'm here for a little while more, untill the the golden ticket is achieved and see the new horizon

Though my tag is something special, I have some history with gaf

jholmes

I don't know them beside seeing their names pop up in thread titles every now and then. That being said, I don't know exactly what you are trying to say so I hope you can follow up with specifics, but either way that's something one should except, since treatment of mods here seemed to be a big problem for regular members as it seems.

They are relentless in their need for attention and have each worked themselves into corners over that in the past. A lot of tweet-first-think-later stuff. And that's on Twitter of course, not in a walled garden where they hold the keys.

Exotoro

I'm not well known I believe, but I'm here for a little while more, untill the the golden ticket is achieved and see the new horizon

Though my tag is something special, I have some history with gaf

i recognize ya, hope to see ya soon on the other side

If i were in Evilore's shoes right now I would focus on giving the site a fresh reboot of sorts. It looks pretty gimped right now ever since the OT was removed. I'm talking new layout, new logo design, new slogan, new welcoming text, etc.Total overhaul for a new (and better) era for GAF. I wouldn't shy away from just straight up stealing some of the good ideas on the other forum. If it benefits the people, who cares? Speaking of OT, now that some of the more toxic elements have left, it should be fully reopened with less strict moderation built around fostering productive discussions. That other forum is having its fun in the spotlight because it's new, GAF can stay competitive and relevant by rebooting itself too, as quickly as possible to steal attention away. Evilore should not give up so easily.
This is war.

EDIT: Too slow, they already announced the OT side was reopening. Awesome news.

They are relentless in their need for attention and have each worked themselves into corners over that in the past. A lot of tweet-first-think-later stuff. And that's on Twitter of course, not in a walled garden where they hold the keys.
Well, if that's true, that's not cool then. Sigh.. ;(

Exotoro

If i were in Evilore's shoes right now I would focus on giving the site a fresh reboot of sorts. It looks pretty gimped right now ever since the OT was removed. I'm talking new layout, new logo design, new slogan, new welcoming text, etc.Total overhaul for a new (and better) era for GAF. I wouldn't shy away from just straight up stealing some of the good ideas on the other forum. If it benefits the people, who cares? Speaking of OT, now that some of the more toxic elements have left, it should be fully reopened with less strict moderation built around fostering productive discussions. That other forum is having its fun in the spotlight because it's new, GAF can stay competitive and relevant by rebooting itself too, as quickly as possible to steal attention away. Evilore should not give up so easily.
This is war.

those things take time and moderation, neither of which evilore has or can afford

also it'd look pretty fucking desperate and probably turn some of the older users off, how many of those are left anyway

combined with a huge scandal that he should really be putting time into, i dont think its wise to rebrand at this point

Quazar

This is war.

That ship has sailed. As a matter of fact it most likely was in his best interest to put out a statement on plans to step down and sell out when people were calling for it. I get his emotions were high, but that’s the truth. Anyone can go start a forum with cheap templates and plugins these days.

Raptomex

Where is EL anyway? He really needs to do something or at least make another kind of statement. I hope he's working on some kind of plan.

samar11

Some nice features I've seen on the new place:

Alerts to tell you when there's new content in a thread you're subscribed to
Alerts when someone quotes your post
You can @ mention someone's name in your post to draw their attention to that post
You can go straight into editing a post in topic view by simply double clicking on the post
Spoiler tags can display a note describing the nature of the spoiler
Drag and drop images into your post from anywhere
There's also highlight quoting for quickly quoting a specific part of a post and a report button

Yeh some nice features

That ship has sailed. As a matter of fact it most likely was in his best interest to put out a statement on plans to step down and sell out when people were calling for it. I get his emotions were high, but that's the truth. Anyone can go start a forum with cheap templates and plugins these days.

No way. The other forum is gonna have a very hard time building its membership base once the initial transition period is over. The hive mindedness and toxicity will be a huge repellent for the vast majority of new forum goers. It's simply not sustainable. GAF has an opportunity to use its weight and prestige to attract many commoners now.

Sephzilla

No way. The other forum is gonna have a very hard time building its membership base once the initial transition period is over. The hive mindedness and toxicity will be a huge repellent for the vast majority of new forum goers. It's simply not sustainable. GAF has an opportunity to use its weight and prestige to attract many commoners now.
I feel like the same argument can be made about GAF now, though. It's gonna be hard to rebuild here now given the reputation the site and its owner now has.

Jeels

You mean the same "hive mindededness" from the same people that sustained this site? Try again.

Exotoro

No way. The other forum is gonna have a very hard time building its membership base once the initial transition period is over. The hive mindedness and toxicity will be a huge repellent for the vast majority of new forum goers. It's simply not sustainable. GAF has an opportunity to use it weight and prestige to attract many commoners now.

like gaf's not toxic now?

and yeah, sure, it could turn ugly after the honeymoon period but most of the people i've seen in there are pretty happy and chill people. I don't know who the hell would actually be interested in going here after last weekend with how things were handled. i'd like to thank the new mods for their time and effort but the site is completely screwed and it'll take a lot more to turn it around into something that can be built back up.

the community that made gaf what it was is not going to be the same. most of what i knew as gaf is somewhere else now.

and what weight? what prestige? the journalists have moved on. some of the people that made gaf prestigious are now mods elsewhere. neogaf has next to nothing in it. i doubt they're coming back to something that was handled as messily as this.

as a aside: "commoners". we're not in 16th century Europe as bureaucrats, what are you even trying to do with that kind of language?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Honestly sounds like you’re describing what GAF will be like in the near future. Good luck.

No, they damn near killed this site.
How long have you been reading this forum?

GAF has an opportunity to use its weight and prestige to attract many commoners now.

D4etcH8.gif

Bluth54

Eh? The invite waves, with different codes for different discord communities at different times, was kind of an achievement in organization. The launch has gone surprisingly smooth.

It shows the passion and dedication that the most hardcore of this community had. And those hardcore have moved on to another site.

OuterLimits

That ship has sailed. As a matter of fact it most likely was in his best interest to put out a statement on plans to step down and sell out when people were calling for it. I get his emotions were high, but that’s the truth. Anyone can go start a forum with cheap templates and plugins these days.

Or perhaps a decent PR person to help him quickly. His statements kind of made everything worse in my opinion. Perhaps that could have helped. Still would have been chaos for a bit, but perhaps more would have stayed.

Exotoro

Or perhaps a decent PR person to help him quickly. His statements kind of made everything worse in my opinion. Perhaps that could have helped. Still would have been chaos for a bit, but perhaps more would have stayed.
his statements, private and public, have been the worst part of the scandal because even if he's innocent, his attitude shows he is far from it

Quazar

You’re severely underestimating what has happened here. The most active users and communities have left. The insiders, developers, industry analyst, pr, marketing, etc are very unlikely to be attracted to this place anymore. All the variables that helped build GAF over the years pretty much vanished in the last week. While at the same time you have no movement from Evilore after days....again. To simply start sinking money into new features etc. is a waste of time and resources with really no net gain as the variables I noted above is what made the money at the end of the day for this site. Those improvements should of happened years ago when everything was in great shape.

You’re severely underestimating what has happened here. The most active users and communities have left. The insiders, developers, industry analyst, pr, marketing, etc are very unlikely to be attracted to this place anymore. All the variables that helped build GAF over the years pretty much vanished in the last week. While at the same time you have no movement from Evilore after days....again. To simply start sinking money into new features etc. is a waste of time and resources with really no net gain as the variables I noted above is what made the money at the end of the day for this site. Those improvements should of happened years ago when everything was in great shape.

It's either that or let the site die a slow and painful death. It desperately needs new life now more than ever. Evilore doesn't really have a choice, imo.

I wouldn't shy away from just straight up stealing some of the good ideas on the other forum...now that some of the more toxic elements have left...This is war.

ERA is looking forward to starting something fresh and new and leaving the BS behind them.

Your intent would be to steal the new forums ideas/format while also declaring war?

Where is the toxicity coming from, bro?

Exotoro

It's either that or let the site die a slow and painful death. It desperately needs new life now more than ever. Evilore doesn't really have a choice, imo.

oh he doesnt, but his actions havent helped the site grow in any way, nor will it

neogaf does have a huge backlog of users to register, but after those run out i suspect it'll be a slow trickle. evilore was never why anybody went to this site. the reasons why people went? they all left.

What prestige? People are going to remember NeoGAF as being the hypocritical place where it prided itself on values such as social justice, being a neutral ground for debates, inclusiveness, when in actuality, it became a safe space/echo chamber, a place where no one takes accountability for their actions, and at times, a place where someone can call a witch hunt on you simply because they can. People are going to remember (and continually post exposés) that he fucked up, whether it is with the sexual assault allegations, or with the whole Amirox debacle. That is a huge PR problem to have that you're greatly underestimating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom