• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutFox

Banned
PM invite me too...
Been a GAF member since before NeoGAF.

The community is the important part, not the name.
The community has moved.

It's been over 15 years for me.

Damn. Apologies to all those still waiting to join.. but maybe they should keep the floodgates closed until they have their shit totally together...

I got my golden ticket a few hours ago, myself. Still have my reservations about the new site; already shaking my head thumbing through their new OT section. The echo chamber is tighter than ever, but with zero real opposition of any kind, the dogpiling and mob lynchings haven't started up yet. Though one guy did get shit on for recounting a story of how a fake sex assault charge almost ruined his life... it didn't fit in with the OP's narrative.

Still planning on sticking around here too, but if it dies... it dies.
Hmm.

You do know you can click on the gaming news for free without registration right?

Joe T.

Looks like this place is dead. The Mario Oddesy review thread here is 6 pages. The one on Reset Era is over 30 pages.

Quantity alone shouldn't be the metric for success when we're talking about a message forum. I'd rather read a few detailed critiques of a game than a few hundred "BEST. GAME. EVER." remarks.

Damn. Apologies to all those still waiting to join.. but maybe they should keep the floodgates closed until they have their shit totally together...

I got my golden ticket a few hours ago, myself. Still have my reservations about the new site; already shaking my head thumbing through their new OT section. The echo chamber is tighter than ever, but with zero real opposition of any kind, the dogpiling and mob lynchings haven't started up yet. Though one guy did get shit on for recounting a story of how a fake sex assault charge almost ruined his life... it didn't fit in with the OP's narrative.

my point of posting that was to show how in-demand the site is. the people running the show over there seem to have their shit together to a remarkable extent.

Atram

So Long, its time to log off.

Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite GermanGAF

Até já portugueseGAF

This was a real Special Community

Lucumo

Quantity alone shouldn't be the metric for success when we're talking about a message forum. I'd rather read a few detailed critiques of a game than a few hundred "BEST. GAME. EVER." remarks.

One could have also pointed out that his definition of "dead" is rather odd.

Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite GermanGAF
You should have posted in the community thread these past 2-3 days. Lots of people who usually aren't there (myself included). Also, nice avatar.

Gurnlei

Thanks for everyone that made GAF what it was over the last few years I've been mostly lurking. I know great people will be be using both forums but it seems where a lot of the community is moving fills what I'm looking for and isn't ran by someone with the reputation of Evilore.

David___

Banned
Those waiting for an invite: As it is now the discord servers are locked down since channers got in and posted the nasty pics in there like this place. In a few days the registration should be open to everyone

Saw this in another thread

6B7C1lb.jpg

Unless the above is fake, then ignore this post. But if not .... why are GAF members immediately banned for saying even the slightest rude or inappropriate comment but Evilore gets away with all this shit? I am just saying this is hypocrisy in its truest form. I bet any GAF member who had posted that shit would have got their asses banned in milliseconds due to strict policies and sometimes too strict where you can't even have a discussions from different point of views no matter how unacceptable they are to the other side when the ban police is just dangling over your head. But then I see this crap and wonder WTF. Just saying.

Oriel

No one knows exactly. Some things are changing. We are all pretty much waiting until the dust has settled.

Seems like most are abandoning ship TBH.

https://youtu.be/wq805Zog_dc

This video by Yongyea has open my eyes to what kind of person Tyler truly is. I cannot in good conscious keep posting here. I was hoping that Tyler would eventually grow a pair and admit that his behavior has been unacceptable. But now i know this will never happen.

See ya Gaf. I'v been a member here for just 2 years but it's been fun. I'll see you all on ResetEra.

Yeah, think I'm done here. We've seen an explosion of the #MeToo movement where women have come forward with their stories of sexual assault by privileged men. So it was disgusting to see the OP here with the exact same response as the likes of Weinstein and Trump, namely "these accusations are lies, the accuser is a liar". Nah, fuck that. Who deliberately paints a target on their back, awaiting the inevitable shit thrown their way with a fake accusation?

And it's pretty fucking telling when you have those 4Chan shitheads riding to Tyler's defence. Christ!

I'm not going to pretend this place was perfect. It wasn't. The modding policy was fucking awful and arbitary. While I consider myself quite progressive the deliberate culling of conservative and centrist voices just because they had a different POV from the leadership (Tyler and mods) always left me feeling uneasy. But still.....it was nice to be on a part of the web not infested with Nazi dickheads.

Slán Abhaile.

People here concerned about transferring to the new board: if you look at the Announcements there, you will see that there is a process for reclaiming your user handle in the event that you don't get in until general registration opens, and an impostor takes it first. Don't get banned here and keep your head above water in case you need to use your account here later to confirm your identity.

Be vigilant about your privacy, too—lots of trolls have been using this migration as a gold mine for accidentally revealed personal or social-network information.

(I am not an official spokesperson and am no longer regularly checking PMs, so please don't ask me for invites. I am just here to inform.)

All the best to you still on GAF, and I hope you all get a chance to tear yourself away form forum drama and enjoy the new releases this week.

PM invite me too...
Been a GAF member since before NeoGAF.

The community is the important part, not the name.
The community has moved.

It's been over 15 years for me.

Same here. Been here since 1999. Would also like an invite, please. It's nice to see so many old familiar faces. I'll even go back to my old avatar :^)

numble

For one thread, yes, the number of total posts by itself isn’t indicative of anything, but do you disagree that you may find more substantive posts where there are more posts? Do you want to do a comparison of, I dunno, which threads have more posts with more than 100 words?

For a forum as a whole (not just one thread), more posts and more threads are likely for users to find something that they want to discuss.

methane47

Two things:

Andy Signore (creator and Boss of the Screen Junkies) was accused of Sexual Harrassment by multiple women just a week or so before Gaf.

Now 3 weeks after the accusations. Screenjunkies have released a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R9XdMtSW5E

I have to say this was the best possible way to handle this situation.

Secondly... can I get an invite? lol

Maximo

Unless the above is fake, then ignore this post. But if not .... why are GAF members immediately banned for saying even the slightest rude or inappropriate comment but Evilore gets away with all this shit? I am just saying this is hypocrisy in its truest form. I bet any GAF member who had posted that shit would have got their asses banned in milliseconds due to strict policies and sometimes too strict where you can't even have a discussions from different point of views no matter how unacceptable they are to the other side when the ban police is just dangling over your head. But then I see this crap and wonder WTF. Just saying.

When your the sole person and the only one that owns and controls a website you can do what you want with it, in this case banning and erasing evidence that gets posted on your website.

Spacejaws

Eh... I must have lucked out because I went to check it out yesterday and signed up normally without needing an invite?

I keep seeing the sign up page but the captcha is one of these ‘answer tge above question’ but there’s nothing there. Tried it on PC too and it had the same. Don’t know if I’m just an idiot.

Any idea when registration will open?
I was always an infrequent poster but loved being part of the community and having a place to belong AND keep up with my favorite hobbie.

yayaba

Been here 11 years but I mostly lurked and posted occasionally in the community threads. Crazy how fast things changed.

I don't really Discord either so not sure how I can get onto the new site. I don't mind waiting until open sign ups but if anyone knows how to get in quicker, I'd appreciate a PM :)

chaos789

Banned
How does one get an invite to the new forum? I have been a member here for over 5 years, but did not post very much until this past year.

Its not fake.

Joe T.

For one thread, yes, the number of total posts by itself isn’t indicative of anything, but do you disagree that you may find more substantive posts where there are more posts? Do you want to do a comparison of, I dunno, which threads have more posts with more than 100 words?

For a forum as a whole (not just one thread), more posts and more threads are likely for users to find something that they want to discuss.

The latter is true (re: covering more topics), but a large part of NeoGAF's appeal to me over the years had been the back and forth debates between members that had a solid grasp of whatever they were discussing. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't have the time/patience to wade through hundreds of pointless replies that appear to be posted more to meet some sort of arbitrary daily post count quota than actually adding to the conversations. You know, messages like "in b4 lock" or all the first page replies in a hot topic that prove the poster hasn't even read the story linked in the OP.

sneas78

Banned
How do we sign up to reset era?
Edit: I would appreciate an invite.
I have been on this board for about 3 years. This is my second return. Would love to have more options for gaming forums tho.
Also:
Not looking for a ban. Just more options.

Ecotic

I saw that in a youtube video and was shocked. Absolutely terrible behavior.

Sane_Man

If that's how you feel then why even bother trying out at the new site? You're going to hate it. 100%. All you've done the last few days on here is whine about echo chambers and 'toxic' moderation. You're going to have the same issues you had with old Gaf in Era as well. You're honestly better off staying here since, once the dust settles, the new approach here will align much closer to how you want a forum to be.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Yeah, I’d like a code too if any lovely people are feeling generous.

Damn, I don't even get the controversy about EviLore. Even assuming the story is true, it's not exactly a big deal. Guys and girls meet up all the time, moves get made, signs get mis-read, mistakes happen. It sounds like it was an honest mistake based on the fact that he got out of the shower immediately. I just don't see what the big deal is and why everyone is up in arms about it. It's not like it's a rape case or something. Don't get me wrong, I think sexual assault victims deserve help, but what I question is if this even is a sexual assault victim...

Forearms

Damn, I don't even get the controversy about EviLore. Even assuming the story is true, it's not exactly a big deal. Guys and girls meet up all the time, moves get made, signs get mis-read, mistakes happen. It sounds like it was an honest mistake based on the fact that he got out of the shower immediately. I just don't see what the big deal is and why everyone is up in arms about it. It's not like it's a rape case or something. Don't get me wrong, I think sexual assault victims deserve help, but what I question is if this even is a sexual assault victim...

There is a pattern of past behavior that people are upset about (see post #9011 above). I don't associate the forums to Evilore. He doesn't make this place what it is, which is why I don't intend on leaving unless it becomes a complete ghost town around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom