• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought open signup for the other site was coming in a few days, are invites really that much in demand just to post a few days earlier than the general public?

Chance to reestablish contact with people quickly, keep the same username etc. if you get there promptly.

On which note, I'd appreciate a Discord invite too. Been here as a relatively quiet poster for ~11 years and the changes that are being mooted/already in place, the absence of many, many key posters and community members, the atmosphere and the - putting it politely - *lacking* response from admin suggest to me that, even if the site recovers in some form, it will be a pale shadow of itself.

Shin

Banned
Can't a mod close/lock all the other threads in the gaming section that are pretty much about this in the end?
Nicer to have all such discussions in one place, this thread is called "the state of NeoGAF" after all.

prag16

Banned
Can't a mod close/lock all the other threads in the gaming section that are pretty much about this in the end?
Nicer to have all such discussions in one place, this thread is called "the state of NeoGAF" after all.
Coulda fooled me. I thought this was the official era invite begging thread. :)

Forearms

It's not saying that they *should* change, it's operating under the assumption that many people do change how they respond based on gender and that they also assume most Internet posters are men. With that assumption, the poster felt it would be better to be able to have posters show their gender if they prefer.

You don't have to agree with the assumption, and you don't have to change how you post based on a person's gender. That's not what the conversation was even about.

You've got to be kidding me here... the first paragraph of that OP even states as much:

I've heard many times from women how their are presumed to be men on internet forums that discuss video games. I think that, sometimes, that presumption affects how people post (such as the content of their posts, or their tone).

Can you clarify why I should even think of changing the content of my post or tone because I'm addressing a woman instead of a man?

Lucumo

Can you clarify why I should even think of changing the content of my post or tone because I'm addressing a woman instead of a man?

I mean, you have this from one poster:

Same reason that we do so in real life. That's why there's a difference between guys' "locker-room talk" and how we behave when there are women present. That's also why women-only conversations (which I experience a *lot* of in my shop because I am the shopkeeper and shopkeepers don't count - and which is often far more explicit and revealing than man-talk is ) are very different to the way women talk when men are around.

It's just ordinary polite real life translated into internet.
Apparently everyone behaves differently when there are women present.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Unless the TOS is drastically altered or isn't enforced nothing is going to change.
People weren't being banned for having different ideas. They were banned because they violated TOS. It only seemed like they were banned for going against the "hive mind" because there was such strong Venn overlap between their beliefs and the off-limits speech that they got banned for. If someone wants to believe that they got banned for liking Trump when they said something like "Grabbing a strange woman by her pussy is a good way to say hello." then I don't know what to tell them.
That said it looks like the TOS is out the window.

I think you're partly missing the point here. It wasn't just about people being banned, but about people who - without any breach of the ToS - were hounded out of threads or otherwise made very uncomfortable posting in them. And *part* of that is dogpiling, persistent mild attacks which individually may not amount to much but cumulatively make it difficult to carry on. It was not unusual (see any PoliGAF thread from last year for examples) to find quite reasonable Republican voters attempting to enter a conversation and being expected to immediately answer for all the bad things any Republican has ever done, usually before even being able to make or clarify their own point.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I wonder what EL is going to do for a living now. It's clearly not going to be reaping profits off a web forum.

"State of NeoGAF" has officially become begging for ResetERA invites. LMAO

I think you're partly missing the point here. It wasn't just about people being banned, but about people who - without any breach of the ToS - were hounded out of threads or otherwise made very uncomfortable posting in them. And *part* of that is dogpiling, persistent mild attacks which individually may not amount to much but cumulatively make it difficult to carry on. It was not unusual (see any PoliGAF thread from last year for examples) to find quite reasonable Republican voters attempting to enter a conversation and being expected to immediately answer for all the bad things any Republican has ever done, usually before even being able to make or clarify their own point.

If only these cry baby conservatives had somewhere on the internet they could share their views without question.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What about the people that don't have "locker-room-talk" or talk with women about women things?

Then you should be fine with what you say *personally*, but if the conversation steers a bit locker-roomy through what other people say it is easy to get caught up in it, and difficult to drag it back.

If only these cry baby conservatives had somewhere on the internet they could share their views without question.

Well, with all due respect, this sort of thing is part of the problem. If a conservative shows up he is the beast from hell and if he stays away he is a crybaby - with no respect at all for whatever point he may have been trying to make.

There are plenty of perfectly sane, sensible conservative voters around. And treating them like this is, from the point of view of the left, counterproductive, because these are the people whose votes you need. And if you do not engage with them and persuade them you will not get their votes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You've got to be kidding me here... the first paragraph of that OP even states as much:

How did you translate "I think that, sometimes," to mean "all people should?"

Forearms

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. If it is, then god speed. If it isn't, then this is exactly what we're talking about, and it just serves to bolster the echo-chamber mentality on GAF.

Syrus

Banned
That other forum tweeted open registration is soon. Keep an eye out.

Not sure if tonight or tomorrow but definently by this weekend if things go well.

US PoliERA 2017 [OT] Someone ask Trump to pronounce Niger

Sounds like the OT over there is fairly diverse and unrestricted. I wonder if it will be SWJ all the way.

I love all this inarticulate whining about PoliERA turning out to be against Trump when, in a stunning shocker, everyone with the balls to post in the thread here (and who visited it on Saturday when I posted a publicly-available Discord link) was against Trump.

Make no mistake, if anyone right-leaning who was actually competent at defending their views like Metaphoreus ever came back I would've gladly shot them an invite, but unfortunately right-OT was full of threadshitters and low-effort bad-faith arguments by the time any of this broke.

(SA has several good right-leaning posters, but that's to be expected since there's a personal economic disincentive to post dumb shit.)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

There's something to that, but the vast majority of complaints I see outside of GAF are specifically about bans or fear of bans.
Then you have posters like Bruce Springsteen who would probably like to post some vile shit but have just enough restraint to stay alive.

Alright guys, unless you got into a Discord today, you’ll have to wait until normal registration. The last waves of invites are going out right now, and then they move onto open registration. So keep a look out for more updates!

It’s happening soon.

This place could recover but it depends if there are new members with skills in thread creation. Because although I'd be willing to continue on here I'm not really a content creator.

Other than that there really needs to be more transparency and ownership of mistakes. Perhaps a clear plan of action with regards to what this place could be, or at least what it could be as distinct from the new alternatives.

Also: Mods really should be getting paid for their work and evilore needs to back far far away. Let someone else be the voice.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Alright guys, unless you got into a Discord today, you’ll have to wait until normal registration. The last waves of invites are going out right now, and then they move onto open registration. So keep a look out for more updates!

It’s happen soon.

Guess that's it for me then.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I just feel its wrong that people are spitting on the man that created this wonderful community....

No offense to anyone, just correcting this.

NeoGAF community wasn't created by him.

He inherited the community from Gaming-Age. That's what GAF stands for. Gaming-Age Forums.

No offense to anyone, just correcting this.

NeoGAF community wasn't created by him.

He inherited the community from Gaming-Age.

Exactly. I was apart of GAF before Evilore was a thing and I’m moving on to a place that is free from him. The community is what made this place wonderful.

Sordid

I wonder what EL is going to do for a living now. It's clearly not going to be reaping profits off a web forum.

I'm not so sure, seems like there's a userbase willing to take over. GAF would be very different but I'm sure he could keep making money if he wants.

hyp3rlink

That other forum tweeted open registration is soon. Keep an eye out.

Not sure if tonight or tomorrow but definently by this weekend if things go well.

Cool!! I just lurked over there and it is weird to say but it feels fresh and light over there. Maybe they will also allow prank posts on April Fools Day!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Right, there's a bit of a break between me replying to things. So let me make my current position about GAF clear.

I have planted my flag in a couple of other places, including ResetERA, as I don't want ever again to have all my internet eggs in one basket as I did with GAF. I had become too reliant on one place and had no contingency in place for when it all went pear-shaped over the weekend.

I love the GAF community and I've had a great time here over the last decade or so. I am not going to crash and burn or get banned (at least not on purpose). And I'll continue to post wherever the threads are that I want to post in.

It all looks a bit of a shitshow at the moment, Evilore has made some really big mistakes, and really the signs for GAF continuing in anything like a sensible form don't look very promising. But I'll stick around and help out where I can so long as there's either (a) some hope of resuscitation or (b) interesting and sufficiently popular threads to post in.

I love you (can I say "guys"?) guys. I hope this all works out somehow.

Bishop89

If the mods were smart they would create a sticky thread for people who wanted to head over to the other site so they can send their invite requests there.

But you know that makes too much sense and instead would just prefer to unjustifiably ban people.

Ferrio

Banned
I didnt know this. What happened there?

It was originally a forum for gaming-age.com. It became too big of a headache for them, so the community moved to another forum. We bounced to like 2 different forums before EviLore took over and established NeoGaf. The community did flourish under this site, but it was never originally his creation. The community moving to a new board or management isn't anything new for us.

Guess that's it for me then.

Is this place going to become a refuge for the people who couldn't get in (and vice versa)?

GAF leadership (if such a thing exists) just has to think about how to differentiate this place from the alternatives. It's really up to them as to whether it lives or dies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I didnt know this. What happened there?

I think it had something to do with the host or ad companies not liking some objectionable content (you couldn't even swear on the forum in those days)

But it's a foggy memory of how Evilore took over and made it a venture. It is true that the community exploded in size, especially the OT, since he took over.

The Dude

Confused but would like to join and check it out, if someone can send me the secret code or what not I'd appreciate it, thanks

My 12 year-old gaf username has already been taken in the new forum :-(
In the announcements section there's a thread regarding username disputes so you might have an opportunity to claim it back based on how long you've used it here.

On the other hand 'stalker' is a fairly generic word so you may not get it back, but it's still worth a try.
Right, there's a bit of a break between me replying to things. So let me make my current position about GAF clear.

I have planted my flag in a couple of other places, including ResetERA, as I don't want ever again to have all my internet eggs in one basket as I did with GAF. I had become too reliant on one place and had no contingency in place for when it all went pear-shaped over the weekend.

I love the GAF community and I've had a great time here over the last decade or so. I am not going to crash and burn or get banned (at least not on purpose). And I'll continue to post wherever the threads are that I want to post in.

It all looks a bit of a shitshow at the moment, Evilore has made some really big mistakes, and really the signs for GAF continuing in anything like a sensible form don't look very promising. But I'll stick around and help out where I can so long as there's either (a) some hope of resuscitation or (b) interesting and sufficiently popular threads to post in.

I love you (can I say "guys"?) guys. I hope this all works out somehow.
It's always a pleasure to hear from you phisheep (despite being a Conservative :p) and I'm somewhat in the same boat. I'm looking forward to moving over to ResetEra, yet I have no plans to burn my GAF account to the ground. I may post over there more in the future, but I'm still going to check in on GAF daily as well. I believe there's plenty of room for both sites to prosper in the future.

I also have to consider that ERA is very new and shiny right now, while GAF had just passed through its darkest time in history. Both sites will change in the future and I hope each of them will go in a positive direction.

Lucumo

Is this place going to become a refuge for the people who couldn't get in (and vice versa)?

GAF leadership (if such a thing exists) just has to think about how to differentiate this place from the alternatives. It's really up to them as to whether it lives or dies.
I mean, the people here are currently people who aren't there and are there...so, you can't make it as simple as that. For the future though, I definitely expect that people who get banned on one forum, will move to the other.

Steel

Banned
It was originally a forum for gaming-age.com. It became too big of a headache for them, so the community moved to another forum. We bounced to like 2 different forums before EviLore took over and established NeoGaf. The community did flourish under this site, but it was never originally his creation. The community moving to a new board or management isn't anything new for us.

Worth noting Evilore established neogaf via crowdfunding to buy it. Was not his money.

I wish I joined NeoGAF sooner, lurked for years but I guess it never occurred to me that I'd actually like to join in on the discussions 😣

If there are any invites remaining I'll take one! Otherwise I guess I'll just wait another few months for approval...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom