• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children arrives Sept. 6 on PS4; F2P version coming in the near future

Free to play?, no platinum?

tumblr_ly5e24bRcD1r3y4i3.gif

Whatever anyone says free to play games are balanced around hooking players using mechanics and psychology to make them part with their cash on a regular basis, and thats something i don't any any part of.

Loved the initial reveal and concept, enjoyed the 2 beta's and playthroughs at EGX, but no thanks.

Whatever anyone says free to play games are balanced around hooking players using mechanics and psychology to make them part with their cash on a regular basis, and thats something i don't any any part of.

Loved the initial reveal and concept, enjoyed the 2 beta's and playthroughs at EGX, but no thanks.

There are plenty of F2P games where you don't have to spend a dime, so "parting with your cash on a regular basis" is just a general brush that doesn't always apply.

Drencrom

Can't say I'm thrilled regarding this being F2P but I must say it's pretty genius from a thematic standpoint with the game being all about communism/marxism lol

Hey everyone, dylan here (director of TTC).
I'm as much of a gamer as everyone else and hate typical f2p and pay walls and that kind of thing so believe me we have tried to make the f2p element of the game as tasteful as possible and reward players for simply being a part of the game and its community.

That's a bit reassuring, looking forward to the release!

F2P seems like a good way to let people try it out.
Don't like this monetization model, but if it's the way to go i'll have to accept it.

Drencrom

F2P could mean the game will be more populated than if it was a just $15 ~ $30 game (depending on the monetization model etc) which is a plus.

One thing is for sure tho, there's probably be more trolls and griefers thanks to the nature of the game and it being F2P.

melkier33

Hmm not sure how I feel about f2p, I'll wait to judge. Plus I want to see what they are holding back, I find it kind of strange it's releasing so soon and we still don't know. I have some ideas of what it might be, but not being told yet has me scratching my head.

[boots]

Does the endgame involve rigging the US election and getting Trump the presidency? No? Can it be a dlc later?

It's weird. All I remember from the beta was a shitload of digging and endlessly running on the treadmill to generate electricity for the town and I can't wait to get back to it! I guess I lucked out on the starting town because the other players made it feel worthwhile to contribute to its upkeep. Experience differs when going to other places for missions however.

Thrilled to finally get a release date and will definitely grab a founders pack.

forms

I still don't get what this game is all about. :D All I have seen is video that made it look like a 1980s soviet childrens TV programme, nothing about the gameplay.

JP

Loved the test versions of this and would have been buying it anyway so I'll be happy to pay for The Founder's Pack at launch.

Dylan, you obviously have far more important things to do at the moment but I think this game is crying out for some decent dynamic themes. I think the artwork would really go well in an animated theme. Perhaps add one post launch for people who buy The Founder's Pack?

Eccocid

I loved the visuals in the last beta but gameplay started to get boring so quickly.
I am sure there will be people asking "WHAT U DO IN THIS GAME BESIDES LABORWORK?" just like some other game which has been source for discussions lol

HiVision

If you enjoyed the game during beta test why would you not play the final game because of some terminology? The balance and content of the game is exactly the same and you can still find Freeman dollars just lying about. We haven't added any weird psychological stuff and I didn't really want to use the term f2p because it's more like 'pay once and then at some point if you feel so inclined buy some extra bits' (like a cool costume)
Similar to the way Team Fortress works.

Reckheim

If you enjoyed the game during beta test why would you not play the final game because of some terminology? The balance and content of the game is exactly the same and you can still find Freeman dollars just lying about. We haven't added any weird psychological stuff and I didn't really want to use the term f2p because it's more like 'pay once and then at some point if you feel so inclined buy some extra bits' (like a cool costume)

The people that are willing to buy the Freeman dollars will have an unfair advantage over the players that wont be buying them. That kind of sucks. (i'm assuming you will be able to buy the freeman dollars with real currency)

Personally I don't mind as it doesn't really bother me with mobile games as long as the gameplay is good, looking forward to the release.

Hey everyone, dylan here (director of TTC).
I'm as much of a gamer as everyone else and hate typical f2p and pay walls and that kind of thing so believe me we have tried to make the f2p element of the game as tasteful as possible and reward players for simply being a part of the game and its community.
You have my money. Loved the beta.

bitbydeath

The people that are willing to buy the Freeman dollars will have an unfair advantage over the players that wont be buying them. That kind of sucks. (i'm assuming you will be able to buy the freeman dollars with real currency)

I'm guessing though since we aren't actually VS'ing each other that money will help the town and in turn each other instead of providing advantages to players as they gain nothing over others for having more.

I loved the beta. I want to know what additions and improvements Dylan spoke about that will launch with the Founders Pack.

Hopefully F2P means they'll continue to tweak, tinker, and add stuff over time. The base game has a ton of potential.

Woah, looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the heads up about the game! I've been wanting some sorta survival game for a system I own.

I'll wait for the f2p version since early access stuff usually resets stuff upon release.
and I don't have PS+ for the paid version. :p

DarkLS1

Just curious was there a particular reason there was no platinum submitted for this game?unlike PJ shooter & nom nom.

Personally I don't mind as it doesn't really bother me with mobile games as long as the gameplay is good, looking forward to the release.

If someone wants to plunk down cash to help my town, that's straight up fine. There's no competitive element in this game as far as I'm aware.

Secondly, if the Freeman dollar system is the same as the beta, that's fine. I found a bunch lying around and didn't have to wait THAT long to get some.

My only worry is that towns will get too fortified. The game is best when you need to contribute towards something. The towns I were in during the beta were a little too perfect, making us mine stuff that we didn't really need to. But that being said, there are events and probably more/harder monsters on the way, so I'm not worried.

Did anything over the course of the beta? Not to be too much of a Debbie downer, but nothing you actually do in the game seemed fun. Admittedly it kinda fits with their commie 'Sacrifice for the Motherland!' atmosphere they got going.

Upping the frequency of the monsters would help as well.

Did anything over the course of the beta? Not to be too much of a Debbie downer, but nothing you actually do in the game seemed fun. Admittedly it kinda fits with their commie 'Sacrifice for the Motherland!' atmosphere they got going.

Depends on if you like survival type games. I don't usually, but with the addition of a community like system, fairly decent economy system, and the ability to fit into whatever role you want (so long as other people are filling other roles too), I found it to be different. I'm not much of a miner or crafter, so I got my gun licence and ran security.

When that got boring, I transported materials to kind of chill out while listening to music. The addition of events and more monster attacks would definitely help interest, and hopefully more of a tutorial to better guide people.

Don't worry it's not pay2win at all, we restored the Freeman dollar drops that were missing in the latest beta test (due to a Japanese side legal snaffle that we got sorted out) so you can still collect those and buy stuff on the black market if you need it.

For real? So we can take this as confirmation that the drop rate for Freeman dollars will be pretty much the same as the second beta weekend? Because that was a big concern of mine, that the F2P model would mean a significant brake on the in-game economy so as to encourage real-money purchases.

wispsmoke

Neo Member
I'm betting on the $20 founders pack being a ps+ freebie in the same vein as Paragon, Hawken, and other recent f2p offerings. I'm all for that approach- it seems to me that you'd get the initial ps+ bump, but then the barrier for entry never rises as far as an up front payment. I'll be curious about user data and melt for all three of those on ps4 going forward.

HiVision

Woah, looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the heads up about the game! I've been wanting some sorta survival game for a system I own.

I'll wait for the f2p version since early access stuff usually resets stuff upon release.
and I don't have PS+ for the paid version. :p

There will be no reset because the f2p version is available at launch through the in-game invitation system.

HiVision

If someone wants to plunk down cash to help my town, that's straight up fine. There's no competitive element in this game as far as I'm aware.

Secondly, if the Freeman dollar system is the same as the beta, that's fine. I found a bunch lying around and didn't have to wait THAT long to get some.

My only worry is that towns will get too fortified. The game is best when you need to contribute towards something. The towns I were in during the beta were a little too perfect, making us mine stuff that we didn't really need to. But that being said, there are events and probably more/harder monsters on the way, so I'm not worried.

Watch the psn blog for my next update in a week or two, it will reveal a pretty big feature and system that encompasses the long term gameplay.

HiVision

Just curious was there a particular reason there was no platinum submitted for this game?unlike PJ shooter & nom nom.

I'm not sure actually, I think it's because we will be continuously updating the game or some rule like that but I'll double check.

HiVision

For real? So we can take this as confirmation that the drop rate for Freeman dollars will be pretty much the same as the second beta weekend? Because that was a big concern of mine, that the F2P model would mean a significant brake on the in-game economy so as to encourage real-money purchases.

Yes the dollar drop rate was basically zero during the beta in June. It will be back to normal!

Jacknapes

I loved the Beta access, however wasn't too sure what i was doing. FTP seems a logical choice, means more people can get their hands on this. Bit disappointed it's not getting a physical retail release.

wapplew

Watch the psn blog for my next update in a week or two, it will reveal a pretty big feature and system that encompasses the long term gameplay.

I would love some town vs town war mode like Tower war.
We build Kaiju and send them to rival town!

rafaelr

Yes the dollar drop rate was basically zero during the beta in June. It will be back to normal!

great, that was my main concern, cause in the last beta you practically couldn´t afford anything "fancy" after spending your inital freeman dollars.

been looking forward to this game since the alpha, definitely in for the founder pack!

I'll give it a go and see how the F2P mechanics work out.
I played one of the early betas and thought it was interesting. I love the art style and alt-communist theme.
Not sure if I'd pay full price for it though, simply due to the number of other games I'm also interested in playing. I'm not hyped enough to splash out on a founders pack.
F2P means that I'll definitely play instead of waiting for a PSN sale or something. If I get into it, then I'd probably buy a few upgrades or whatever.

seb

Banned
Now that it's f2p, I'm also worried that we'll get a population of people who didn't pay for the game and don't give a shit mixed up with actual players.
The potential for griefing was pretty high during the beta since you could essentially lock down a town by misplacing undestructible buildings. Or did that change ?

Depends on if you like survival type games. I don't usually, but with the addition of a community like system, fairly decent economy system, and the ability to fit into whatever role you want (so long as other people are filling other roles too), I found it to be different. I'm not much of a miner or crafter, so I got my gun licence and ran security.

When that got boring, I transported materials to kind of chill out while listening to music. The addition of events and more monster attacks would definitely help interest, and hopefully more of a tutorial to better guide people.

Well I did play it during the beta. I'm wondering if there have been any significant changes from the beta.

HiVision

Now that it's f2p, I'm also worried that we'll get a population of people who didn't pay for the game and don't give a shit mixed up with actual players.
The potential for griefing was pretty high during the beta since you could essentially lock down a town by misplacing undestructible buildings. Or did that change ?

We tightened up the system for griefers extensively after seeing some of the behavior during the beta :)
It's nicely balanced now but we will keep monitoring people's behavior just like a neo-Soviet state should do hehe

We tightened up the system for griefers extensively after seeing some of the behavior during the beta :)
It's nicely balanced now but we will keep monitoring people's behavior just like a neo-Soviet state should do hehe

If all else fails, remeber my words...Private Towns!

*wink wink, nudge nugde*

Could even charge freeman dollars for it and people would pay for it ;)

Top Bottom