• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children Beta Announced

Elandyll

Banned
yeah, it shouldn't let you build stuff if you already have it filled. it should also have a "recommended" notification next to stuff that your town needs or something.
I agree that the game should not let you build again any building that is only needed 1 time.
And indeed overall we need 'something' to guide the workers towards a common goal,
Instead of receiving messages from neighboring cities, maybe we could get contacted to focus on specific things that are needed besides "more metal! More food! ", like " the police kiosk has been destroyed and is needed to build Isverg turrets" (do the turrets already built still work if that happens btw?)

But yeah, GAF town looks awesome. There's going to be more than 2 needed at release I think ;)

Qvoth

oh yeah, one thing i thought of before i went to sleep last night
i think npcs with quests should have like an exclamation mark above their heads or something to show that this npc can give you quests
like the policemen always give quests, but for the other npcs only some do?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
And inded overall we need 'something' to guide the workers towards a common goal,
Instead of receiving messages from neighboring cities, maybe we could get contacted to focus on specific things that are needed besides "more metal! More food! ", like " the police kiosk has been destroyed and is needed to build Isverg turrets" (do the turrets already built still work if that happens btw?)

Even just a voting system in the shop that puts the highest voted item to the top would be nice.

Yeah the town looks excellent.

Also, big tip: You can put a doll on your back by pressing the down arrow, and then carry it to safety with a parasol. Kind of a game changer, I assumed since it didn't work with a parasol since it doesn't with a jetpack. Wish I could've gotten them all off that cubes island before it vanished.

put doll in backpack, pick up 2nd doll then get into a hovercar ftw

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I don't get it, I had a work office when I left to get resources, now it's gone when I come back home. Can't do anything without that work office since I have no tools for wood, what did I miss?

Not gonna lie, night vision produces some cool visuals:

hubtue.gif
qlicct.gif

Game is still fun, but buses getting stuck + long loading times is a bit of a buzzkill. Also had this weird bug where 'my' city only kept spawning either the above island or the one with all the balls, save for one or two exceptions in the span of hours.

Not gonna lie, night vision produces some cool visuals:

hubtue.gif

Game is still fun, but buses getting stuck + long loading times is a bit of a buzzkill. Also had this weird bug where 'my' city only kept spawning either the above island or the one with all the balls, save for one or two exceptions in the span of hours.

makes it look like she's causing the destruction with the goggles

Stoze

Just had a town get completely shit on by one Izverg + not having any wood, was kinda hilarious, he walked straight through the middle of town.

Also, does anyone know what the Secret Vault (I think that's what it's called) VoidKa does? Other than give you an additional inventory slot.

Lucent

I have no idea what I'm doing. And it feels really lonely without seeing other people. Definitely not giving me an easy impression on whether I should buy it or not.

We recommend letting the load continue if you have the time, as it seems to be averaging 10-15 min to get into a town. Towns that are more populated have more people trying to get in, and the Gaf towns and towns appearing on streams are popular.

We do apologize for the issues and want to emphasize that this is a problem being recognized and nowhere near the intended behavior.

Booki

I have no idea what I'm doing. And it feels really lonely without seeing other people. Definitely not giving me an easy impression on whether I should buy it or not.

You can blow a whistle with L1 I think and it shows who is near you for a bit. But I agree it does seem lonely. Kinda lose that sense of a community by not seeing anyone. I wish the fade out wasn't in the game. And the continuous horrible blur on screen would go away. I'm also currently waiting over 15 mins just to get into a town.

I know it's only a BETA but damn it was confusing, did the tutorial and then went to a town, guy kept moaning about having no metal, but couldn't for the life of me work out where I had to go to mine it.

Did the electricity mini games, manned the cannon a few times and also used the work bench, but other than that I had no idea what I was doing!

melkier33

So besides the obvious issues, yeah I still feel like the izverg need to be balanced better. It seemed like they weren't around much till we started getting close to town hall lvl 3. Could just be chance they didn't come around much though. And they really felt like swatting a fly rather then a threat or challenge. I only saw one set of the little guys come into town this beta and I had fun protecting everyone in town from them before. They weren't an issue once you know what your doing.

Trolling didn't seem so bad this time around. Though I feel like there should be a void ability that clears a decent radius around you in town cuz it's impossible to clear 100% with just tools, but that might be to much and or to late to implement at this point.

I also feel like coupon/freeman money is still off. I found myself using coupons for fun stuff, and maybe a few back up tools if I wasn't in a rush. Freeman tools seem way to powerful and cheap to get. I always had a full shotgun, rocket, and chainsaw, a lot of times even a pickaxe and jetpack. Even after that I had plenty to spend on the sun void ability, fruit, repairs if we were really in a bind, and always bribing any request that seemed very time cunsoming or luck of draw based. Coupons on the other had I felt like I had a lot less and didn't really spend much of it.

This time around it very much felt like a resource zerg, and it's still better to stay in town and deposit everything. I know they are going to be tuning everything and I'm curious how it will turn out.

One other thing I'm curious about is longevity of the game and how people are going to handle watching a town they worked hard on fall apart, never really thought about it till gaf town 1.0 went down.

Edit: One other thing no idea how the que currently works or how it's going to work. But if your a resident of a town you should 100% be given priority in que.

HiVision

I think griefing was much lower with the disassembler change.

However, the laser tower will have the ability to auto-zap players who are "blue" in a future update. The policeman will be more "pro-active" too ;)

So watch out bad guys!

melkier33

I think griefing was much lower with the disassembler change.

However, the laser tower will have the ability to auto-zap players who are "blue" in a future update. The policeman will be more "pro-active" too ;)

So watch out bad guys!

Oh that's cool. Kinda addresses my curiosity how the immobilizer works. Wasn't sure if they could see them, how close they had to be, if they had to be blue for it to work. I only got snubbed blue once so I didn't really get to check it out.

HiVision

Ok I lied... the long loading times problem was fixed just now on the server end and even though it will take a little time to propagate the loading times should get much faster over the next hour.

Please visit the Ministry of Labor, and this will generate a snapshot and upload it to the server... speeding up everyone's load.

Ok I lied... the long loading times problem was fixed just now on the server end and even though it will take a little time to propagate the loading times should get much faster over the next hour.

Please visit the Ministry of Labor, and this will generate a snapshot and upload it to the server... speeding up everyone's load.

Great news :)

Loved what I played even though it was all a little confusing and not very self evident, where was I supposed to go to go mine some metal for the town? Maybe I was being dumb, but couldn't see any clear indicators, only a guy near the train stop, which I boarded and then the game crashed.

seb

Banned
I had a lot of fun with the beta. On a low population town it can be challenging though. That feeling when you log in and the town is burning :)

Sorry if it's been asked before but we keep seeing the same 3/4 islands other and other again. What's up with that? Is it something we had to do or part of the test maybe?

I had a lot of fun with the beta. On a low population town it can be challenging though. That feeling when you log in and the town is burning :)

Sorry if it's been asked before but we keep seeing the same 3/4 islands other and other again. What's up with that? Is it something we had to do or part of the test maybe?

The island thing was actually a bug. There are more than that even in the beta build, but the selection wasn't working properly (some towns had no islands).

Drencrom

But these all sound like "well it's beta" kinds of bugs, so hopefully things will be better on release/in the next beta. Something I'm a little more afraid of is whether the game has staying power beyond the first few hours. It could be that the beta is content limited (perhaps there will be a wider array of missions or more islands on release, for example), but with many more hours to screw around this time, I didn't actually feel like I did much different than the first beta period. We did make it to a level 2 town hall, and it looks like there's more stuff for level 3, but the basic tools and techniques didn't seem to evolve much and it's hard to know if there's another stage to the gameplay once you have a reasonably well-established town going.

Anyways, still very curious about the game and still looking forward to release. Good luck Galunka!

That is the biggest question for me. There clearly should be more progression to the towns and the "work schedule" after the initial 24 hours of a town in the final game. Does the attacks get bigger/more frequent the bigger your town is? Are there much more islands/minesites and events that occur down the road? It's hard to say when we're not playing the final game, but at some point it feels like your town hits a plateau and it makes me wonder if there is enough progression and staying power for people to want to work on the same town over a longer period or are you supposed to just move to another town and start a new when you get bored of working in a fulfilled town that has everything? Maybe you as a town "ascend" somehow and make 'the great leader' we've only seen in the tutorial and the trailers appear and grant us something and/or make us enter another stage (something to do with the western world that is trying to corrupt our society)? I personally don't have anything against there being no real "end goal" of the game and that you build/play indefinitely like in Minecraft for fun (before they added an endgame) but if so the game should get harder and more complicated as the town gets bigger and the workers better at least.

xviper

The tomorrow children is a great game but it would be even better if the players around me could be visible, and adding a text chat that would be perfect for communication because not all people use a mic, and i'd love to see more variety in the monsters because the beta didn't had that much, i can't wait to play the full game hopefully the release date is in 2016

I just have to say that the game just isnt for me. I love the style; it is quite the beautiful game even if chromating effect is a bit too much. The tone and humour it is going for is excellent; mocking bureaucracy and all that communist satire. However the game is very confusing at how you go on about things, and it takes some time for things to start going places.

Why the hell did they pick slide puzzles for all crafting. It seems time based too since I kept getting kicked out while trying to figure it out. I know you can bribe your way out of everything but I did not figure out how money shows up other than at random.

Qvoth

some things i found out

i think the treasure chest spawns are always the same for the same type of islands, but what's inside the chests are random
npcs other than the policemen can give quests too (i think the game really need a quest marker, when your town has plenty of npcs it can be very difficult to find out which npc you gotta talk to)

Drencrom

The tomorrow children is a great game but it would be even better if the players around me could be visible, and adding a text chat that would be perfect for communication because not all people use a mic, and i'd love to see more variety in the monsters because the beta didn't had that much, i can't wait to play the full game hopefully the release date is in 2016

Yeah, the invisible player thing is a real shame and I hope Q-Games improves it so you can see people more often, especially your friends. It doesn't help that the whistle barely works, people either don't pop up at all or are shown as a redish smoke that disappear almost immediately most of the time.

Bahlor

Yeah, the invisible player thing is a real shame and I hope Q-Games improves it so you can see people more often, especially your friends. It doesn't help that the whistle barely works, people either don't pop up at all or are shown as a redish smoke that disappear almost immediately most of the time.

Why are they even hiding other players? Is there a reason behind this?

Drencrom

Why are they even hiding other players? Is there a reason behind this?

I'm not sure if you have played the beta or not but they are not literally hidden at all time, players are shown at random and when they do actions and are on the bus and line up for something. I guess it's a technical reason they can't just show all the players around you at all times.

doby

Not being able to see other players really shouldn't matter, as long as you know and can see the results of activity around you then what's the problem?

Not being able to see other players really shouldn't matter, as long as you know and can see the results of activity around you then what's the problem?

It wouldn't feel so empty and you could observe people to learn how to play.

edit: Then again, I'm not sure how many players can be in a town at the same time so it could become a bit of a clusterfuck maybe.

Top Bottom