• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children (PS4, Pixeljunk guys) uses Cascaded Voxel Cone Tracing

Man

http://fumufumu.q-games.com/archives/2014_09.php#000934

That's some HOT technology.
Cascaced Voxel Cone Tracing enables them to simulate lighting in real time (ray-tracing), and uses actual real reflections, and not screen space reflections like most games.

xnews_gsy_preview_the_tomorrow_children-15764.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-triS-ctlS.jpg

ve7slzlvrg15jxudlew5.jpg

EDIT: Dylan Cuthbert in this thread:
Hey, it's Dylan here from Q,

Thanks for checking out James' presentation, he put a lot of work into that to try and help people understand what is going on with our engine!

The game has freely deform-able geometry which is why right at the start we decided we couldn't go with the more standard graphics pipelines that need a lot of pre-baked information. However, we *did* want the very nice lighting that those pre-baked systems can give (like the lighting you are seeing in the Silicon Studios demo released this week).

When you guys see this game actually *running* in 1080p on your tvs with the lighting all simply *working* you are going to love it; dig into a mountain and the light spills around correctly, and the shadowing from things cast in all directions natually and realistically. It /almost/ looks like a Pixar movie at times and is the closest to that "rendered" ideal I've seen so far in an actual game (not a tech demo). Although I do have high hopes for Uncharted on the PS4!
Release information and types of release etc., are entirely up to Sony. Although, because this game is only online, an online-only release does make sense.

*quote*

Thanks, this is the kind of comment I like to see because I am amazed daily by how it looks. The latest builds actually look a lot better than the footage in those videos now too because we're constantly tweaking and tuning.

The game is a bit of a crazy sandbox experience, we don't force you to do anything really and you can decide either collectively/collaboratively or egotistically to do whatever you want. You could just set up a picnic up in the hills if you like. (of course if everyone does that your beautiful vista might eventually become marred by the sight of the burning town in the distance, but hey, someone will do the work right?)
The response has been truly amazing since Gamescom.

We are kind of sticking our necks out a bit on this one, new technology and a new genre, it's been a huge challenge for us.

One side of the game people haven't picked up on yet is that it also has hints of a collaborative Animal Crossing in it (without drawing on that too much), but with kaiju and missile launchers! :)
SCEE and SCEA should be making announcements regarding the alpha testing in their respective territories soon.
*snipped quote*

You live in a particular town with X no. of other people, you can visit other people's towns too. The world and its objects are entirely shared but you only see each-other when you perform actions that can affect other players because you are projected clones all a little shifted away from each-other on the plane of reality.

So for example, if you pick up an object, you will appear in the other people's worlds, stoop down, pick up the object, stand up and then fizzle out of existence (taking the object with you).
When you put it down again, the same thing happens again, leaving the object in everyone's world.
Someone was saying on twitter that in an earlier thread on neogaf a false rumour was spread saying that we aren't 1080p. Well, I'm saying it now, we've always been 1080p, right from the very start and never even considered a lower resolution. There is no up-scaling.

Lukas - you really need to read the pdf - we ditched octrees for 3d textures which sped up everything, especially when we moved to multiple sets of 3d textures. Have a read through, we have some pretty damn good optimisations detailed in there.

Async compute does let the ps4 punch above its weight, because code can be fine-tuned to the system we have to use it fully (filling in the holes).

Callibretto - because it adds a lot of uniqueness to the game and lets us do things a bit differently. It also lets us support a ton of people in the same area with no slow down. :)
The most important thing though is that it lets you feel more in control, more as if you are playing a single player game (like Journey or Dark Souls) and the other players simply pop in from time to time.
Actually we do optimize down to the register level for a lot of stuff; we check and fine-tune all the important core loops to that level. It's how we squeeze stuff to be the fastest it can be.
We took the challenge because several years ago right at the start of the project Mark [Cerny] personally asked us to use it, as other devs will initially use the simpler "PC" gpu pipeline. He wanted someone to try and use all the cool hardware he had spent years putting together :)

Kuro

Interesting. The game has a stop motion Coraline/Paranorman look to it. Must be this lighting technique.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
now THIS is why I buy a next-gen console: some new words for graphics I'll never understand

FeiRR

Banned
That's the kind of realtime graphics magic I like. If it's too slow, find a way to optimize, not "we recommend a faster GPU". This game is instant buy for me, even if just for the graphics.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So is this game gonna have the cleanest IQ ever (outside of Okami HD)? Cause that's what I want. I mean, look at all the fancy words and pretty graphs !! Isn't it just amazing? It makes you want to swoon~

Hydrargyrus

This game looks awesome and strange in the same way.

I think that it's going to be a revolutionary game, but not for everyone because seems like you will need time to really go deeper in its possibilities

pottuvoi

Banned
Quite interestingly they use cone tracing for a lot of the direct lighting as well.
For moving object shadowing they seem to go TloU style, tracing capsules for characters and 3D texture for objects.

EGM1966

Loving the look of this game and happy to see more quirky titles coming for PS4.

It looks like a wonderful stop motion film and I love that asthetic.

lord pie

http://fumufumu.q-games.com/archives/2014_09.php#000934

That's some HOT technology.
Cascaced Voxel Cone Tracing enables them to simulate lighting in real time (ray-tracing), and uses actual real reflections, and not screen space reflections like most games.

Just for clarity sake, they do still heavily rely on screen space reflections and a form of directional SSAO. The voxelization and subsequent cone tracing is primarily for large scale diffuse / bounce / ambient occlusion / glossy specular. It is only used on static geometry and updates slower further in the distance.
This picture:

for example, is primarily screen space reflections.

The character occlusion is generated locally around each character, it's not part of the voxelization (as the smallest voxels are nearly half a meter cubed, according to the PDF).

Still very funky tech though and one hell of a good implementation (voxelization and conetracing a very hard to do well and efficiently :)

jpax

Holy shit, that is impressive. I love new tech beeing implemented into games. This sounds like a real evolution.

pottuvoi

Banned
Could someone explain how this method works in a simple way? What is the difference with regular GI?
There isn't really 'regular' Global Illumination, just different implementation methods which try to get it done in decent manner.

Many games currently store 'GI' or indirect light into a textures called lightmaps and for dynamic objects into a light probes. (usually precomputed in a way that makes it static.. IE. TloU)

How dynamic the lighting can be depends a lot on what was stored etc. (like battlefield method supports moving lights that cast indirect light, but it seems to be disabled.)

TTC converts scene information into 3d texture maps which it stores and which samples (ray-trace) to get lighting information.
Read the paper, pictures do describe it quite nicely.

KOHIPEET

The game looks phenomenal. The subsurface scattering is just amazing.

Also, graphics kind of reminds me of Warhawk, would definitely see a sequel with this engine.
Or with any kind of engine to be honest.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Nowhere near enough info in those sentences to infer the beta is JP only. The only fact it gives is that it's limited to PS plus subscribers
Article said:
Sony will host a closed alpha test for The Tomorrow Children in Japan next month, the company announced at its Japan Asia press conference this morning.
The beta will be exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers.
Further details were not announced
Sony announces a closed alpha test for the game in Japan.
Sony says it's exclusive to PS+ members.
No further details were announced.

I don't know about you, but the only thing you can infer is that the Alpha is coming to Japan for PS+ subscribers. LIkewise, it's completely impossible to even begin to attempt to infer that the Alpha is coming anywhere else but Japan. I say it like that because you say there's not enough info in the sentences but you see, that's all the info we were given. The entire article, is everything we know.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The power of asynchronous compute strikes again. This kind of thing really excites me and interests me for the future. What other kind of things can GPU computations do?

san00ake

There isn't really 'regular' Global Illumination, just different implementation methods which try to get it done in decent manner.

Many games currently store 'GI' or indirect light into a textures called lightmaps and for dynamic objects into a light probes. (usually precomputed in a way that makes it static.. IE. TloU)

How dynamic the lighting can be depends a lot on what was stored etc. (like battlefield method supports moving lights that cast indirect light, but it seems to be disabled.)

TTC converts scene information into 3d texture maps which it stores and which samples (ray-trace) to get lighting information.
Read the paper, pictures do describe it quite nicely.

Thank you for the explanation.
I was a 3D artist before so I'm familiar with most terminology, but I still don't quite understand how this particular method works.
I'll give the paper another read and try to understand it,

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just for clarity sake, they do still heavily rely on screen space reflections and a form of directional SSAO. The voxelization and subsequent cone tracing is primarily for large scale diffuse / bounce / ambient occlusion / glossy specular. It is only used on static geometry and updates slower further in the distance.
This picture:

The character occlusion is generated locally around each character, it's not part of the voxelization (as the smallest voxels are nearly half a meter cubed, according to the PDF).

Still very funky tech though and one hell of a good implementation (voxelization and conetracing a very hard to do well and efficiently :)

The reflections, including glossy specular, are done in world (voxel) space, so while it's subject to the granularity of the voxel grid (like everything else), it does provide reflections of off-screen surfaces.

Anyway, really interesting presentation. So many clever little optimisations and reuses of data. Love the subsurface scattering approx from reusing data generated for something else. And the 'third bounce' :)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Only word I know is Voxel and that's due to resogun

The other 3 mixed in is just wat?

So now games with CVCT will become the new hotness?
Wonder how a Lego game would do as this... Minecraft @_@!

Footos22

This picture:

Stop! you're making me feel stupid.

Stampy

This game hugely reminds of the Media Molecules' PS4 tech demo. To be honest I am somewhat believing this two games will have somewhat similar looks.

Do we have any info if they using the same technologies?

Top Bottom