• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children (PS4, Pixeljunk guys) uses Cascaded Voxel Cone Tracing

Someone was saying on twitter that in an earlier thread on neogaf a false rumour was spread saying that we aren't 1080p. Well, I'm saying it now, we've always been 1080p, right from the very start and never even considered a lower resolution. There is no up-scaling.

Lukas - you really need to read the pdf - we ditched octrees for 3d textures which sped up everything, especially when we moved to multiple sets of 3d textures. Have a read through, we have some pretty damn good optimisations detailed in there.

Async compute does let the ps4 punch above its weight, because code can be fine-tuned to the system we have to use it fully (filling in the holes).

Callibretto - because it adds a lot of uniqueness to the game and lets us do things a bit differently. It also lets us support a ton of people in the same area with no slow down. :)
The most important thing though is that it lets you feel more in control, more as if you are playing a single player game (like Journey or Dark Souls) and the other players simply pop in from time to time.
Wow the sss implementation you guys use is amazing! I hope in the next five years these techniques will be common in ps4 exclusive titles. The graphics look so different than any other game.

Krakn3Dfx

PSY・S;128248145 said:
The game looks incredible.

Between this and No Man's Sky, holy shit. I can't wait to get my hands on either of them.

rod.gif

sublimit

Banned
God damn the concept of this game and its art style are incredible.

I'm getting a PS4 in February (for Bloodborne) but i really hope this will be released shortly after.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's an approximation of doing global illumination without baked lights.

It's not comparable to a full ray tracing setup, but it looks good.
To me this sounded like an approximation of an actual ray tracing setup, more than just what some other demos were doing with GI, because in this game they use it for lighting (with multiple bounces) and also for all the shadows, and even ray traced reflections ('real' ray traced reflections, not screen space ones). That's basically the most what what the raytracing is used for (I'm assuming they don't do refractions which would be another thing ray tracing is used for). *edit* they actually do traced refractions as well.

The Tomorrow Children uses a new lighting technology named Cascaded Voxel Cone Ray Tracing, which allows to simulate lighting in real time, and uses actual real reflections, and not screen space reflections like most games and this is even better than the SVOGI that epic ditched which they deemed too much ressource cannibal.

Huh, that's cool. I'm actually surprised by all of the praise for the game's look in this thread. I wasn't really impressed by the art design, even though the game itself looks like it will be great. I'm always down for more Q Games greatness, though!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just realized that the same person who was in charge of this engine is the same guy in who did the PS3 XMB Wave. I hope Q-games gets to do a custom theme for PS4 now that it can be done, to replace the semi-embarrassment that's PS4's current wave background.

Huh, that's cool. I'm actually surprised by all of the praise for the game's look in this thread. I wasn't really impressed by the art design, even though the game itself looks like it will be great. I'm always down for more Q Games greatness, though!
IMO, it's one of the coolest looking games I've ever seen, tech and art-wise. The thing looks practically 'real', almost as if they were filming stop motion animation puppets and backgrounds.

Lucent

Just realized that the same person who was in charge of this engine is the same guy in who did the PS3 XMB Wave. I hope Q-games gets to do a custom theme for PS4 now that it can be done, to replace the semi-embarrassment that's PS4's current wave background.

IMO, it's one of the coolest looking games I've ever seen, tech and art-wise. The thing looks practically 'real', almost as if they were filming stop motion animation puppets and backgrounds.

Yep. Game looks amazing. If the IQ is really good, I'll probably have a hard time putting it down. Just looks so good.

Wow.

You know what? I'm not even mad that we aren't getting PixelJunk Dungeons anymore. This looks incredible to say the least. Hope the gameplay is intuitive. My wife and I are big PJ fans. :)

While it does make sense to say that the code is running faster due to Async Compute, it is not apples to apples with it running "like a 2.3TF GPU."

This isnt "punching above its weight," but rather the GPU taking advantage of its 1.84 TFs better.

When did he imply that? He said that you'd need a 2.3TF GPU to get that same performance without the use of Async Compute, and he's right.

Bias making you defensive much?

Edit: Speaking of that...

I've read the concept of this game and i have to admit, its the first really interesting title for me for PS4.
Hope that PS4 community will appreciate this effort. We need more ambitious and mechanically complex games on consoles.

Sod off.

Ape

Banned
Still not sure how I feel about this game. I'll likely wait for reviews on it. It looks sort of minecraft to me and that's not a good thing imo.... but the style has grown on me soo much. Hope it delivers. That theme song keeps getting stuck in my head :D

low-G

Cool, unique looking game. I really do like extremely realistic materials. I'd love more Sim Ants / Pikmin / tiny world games with hyper realistic modelling/shading/lighting etc.

The actual tech is very cool, and I noticed how good the game looked right away in the original trailer. Also one of the best reasons to be technically interested in consoles. I didn't know that PCs lacked such asymmetric load in GPUs?

When did he imply that?
He implied that when he typed this:
just made the PS4 1.84 TFLOP GPU render like a 2.3 TFLOP GPU
which is why I responded directly to it, clarifying it. It is not about giving the PS4GPU more theoretical power or comparing it to a GPU with more theoretical power. But rather, building a game engine/tools to further utilize the resident power 1.84. The impressive part is the coding!
He said that you'd need a 2.3TF GPU to get that same performance without the use of Async Compute, and he's right.
It is not 1:1.
Bias making you defensive much?
Bias? Why so hostile?! This tech is awesome and everything I have typed in this thread has pointed towards that.

That's just words however. If every other system packing a GPU does not use theirs equally well one might just as well say the PS4 is 'punching above its weight'.

Well they are words to clarify is all. There are other systems which allow asynchronous compute or things that are similar, it is not just the PS4!

He implied that when he typed this:

which is why I responded directly to it, clarifying it. It is not about giving the PS4GPU more theoretical power or comparing it to a GPU with more theoretical power. But rather, building a game engine/tools to further utilize the resident power 1.84. The impressive part is the coding!

But what he wrote didn't imply the bolded. No one implied an increase in theoretical max.

If you had a 2.3 TFLOPS GPU of the same family run the first code, assuming no other bottlenecks, performance would be close to that of the 1.84 TFLOPS PS4 GPU running the code with async improvements. No one said a thing about making the GPU better than a higher-performant one.

It is not 1:1.

If you want to be specific, perfect 1:1 scaling of performance in general doesn't happen in computing.

Bias? Why so hostile?! This tech is awesome and everything I have typed in this thread has pointed towards that.

Because I've read quite a few post throughout various threads downplaying the advantages of closed-platform programming made in a mad crusader's attempt at arguing that consoles have no reason to exist. And that pissed me off.

Mory Dunz

The one complaint I might have about the visuals is the skyboxes seem very plain. Maybe it's a purposeful stylistic choice to give off a more sterile feeling, but I'm still not sure I like it. It just makes the game seem unfinished or a little too tech demoey.

Exactly my feelings.
I need...some sort of background.

Dunno, the game isn't doing it for me yet.

Nafai1123

Banned
I can't wait to see what async compute brings this generation. I think we will all be very surprised at what is possible.

I can't wait to see what async compute brings this generation. I think we will all be very surprised at what is possible.

So far, we've seen a ~20% boost in a special-case game. I'm already pretty impressed and don't expect other games' use of it to surpass that, but I'd love to be wrong.

HiVision

The one complaint I might have about the visuals is the skyboxes seem very plain. Maybe it's a purposeful stylistic choice to give off a more sterile feeling, but I'm still not sure I like it. It just makes the game seem unfinished or a little too tech demoey.

There will be plenty of "skyboxes" in the release version :)
That's the easiest thing for us to add to, so we will also be updating with different weather and lighting conditions and the like after we launch.

We have some amazing sunsets in our latest builds already.

HiVision

This game looks great. I really want to buy that trailer song anybody know the name?

It's Polyushke Poyle by the Red Army Choir - translated it means "Fields O Fields" or something like that and is a song about a soldier on the battlefield lamenting the green fields of home :)
You can find examples on youtube and their CDs are on itunes or amazon. (their other songs are pretty damn awesome too)

It's Polyushke Poyle by the Red Army Choir - translated it means "Fields O Fields" or something like that and is a song about a soldier on the battlefield lamenting the green fields of home :)
You can find examples on youtube and their CDs are on itunes or amazon. (there other songs are pretty damn awesome too)

I forgot to mention my extreme thanks for the name of the song. :)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
well, this looks like the best thing ever.

god.

damn.

i would love to play something like this in VR.

megalowho

Kudos to Q for always having good music!
It's true, still bumping the Trajectile soundtrack.

The Tomorrow Children is on another level though, going by what I could decipher in that PDF and this thread Voxel Cone Tracing sounds (and looks) very cool. Just as fresh conceptually too, learning a lot of new things in here. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Top Bottom