• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The vast majority of DX12 titles in 2015/2016 are partnering with AMD

AMD’s Robert Hallock wrote on a Reddit thread:

You will find that the vast majority of DX12 titles in 2015/2016 are partnering with AMD. Mantle taught the development world how to work with a low-level API, the consoles use AMD and low-level APIs, and now those seeds are bearing fruit.

NVIDIA claims "full support" for DX12, but conveniently ignores that Maxwell is utterly incapable of performing asynchronous compute without heavy reliance on slow context switching.

GCN has supported async shading since its inception, and it did so because we hoped and expected that gaming would lean into these workloads heavily. Mantle, Vulkan and DX12 all do. The consoles do (with gusto). PC games are chock full of compute-driven effects.

If memory serves, GCN has higher FLOPS/mm2 than any other architecture, and GCN is once again showing its prowess when utilized with common-sense workloads that are appropriate for the design of the architecture.

Q: So why are you (AMD) guys being quiet? Do you realize the potential for gamers to see AMD's GCN in a better light if suddenly they find out that GCN IS SUPERIOR in DX12 than Kepler/Maxwell?

A: With respect, we haven't been quiet. If you Google async shading, you'll see publicity efforts stretching back 4-6 months. It takes time for these things to pay off in real application, but we're already seeing the results.
NVIDIA's upcoming pascal is so tempting, but I guess I'll be keeping my AMD card for now.

wachie

It's too bad that Pascal will come and people will forget and all be will be forgiven. AMD can't win the mindshare.

I'll wait for the benchmarks instead of relying on PR. AMD user here, quite surprised at the mileage on my 7870 HD. I want to upgrade but I'm running MGS5 at 60 FPS, 1080p on High/Very High mix, so I feel less inclined to bother.

AMD announcing that a bunch of DX12 games will be partnered up with AMD? Shocking.

DX12 is so early in terms of how it'll actually effect games and not just benchmarks that I really can't get too worked up about it one way or the other quite yet.

TheBear

The real problem with this shit is not which graphics card will have the best performance, but which card games will actually fucking work on.

Fractal

Banned
By the way things are going, who knows if AMD will even be around by the time DX12 is fully adopted by the industry... to my knowledge, right now we only have a single benchmark.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
AMD says AMD is the best. Shocking news.

To be fair, DX12 offers a more console-like thingamabob and the console codifications will transfarr better to AMD GPUs. Duh.

(I have an AMD GPU so I hope we're past crappy drivers once DX12 hits)

Anyway: List of upcoming DX12 games

Arma 3 (Update through DLC)
Star Citizen
Killer Instinct
Fable Legends
ReGears of ReWar: Chainsaw in your Face Edition
ARK (Update)
DayZ (Will the game even be finished by then Edition)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Sick Hair Tech Edition
Hitmang: We Realised the Last Game sucked Edition

That's way more than 4 games guys. It's like, twice as many.

I'm interested to see how this will turn out as I'm planning on getting a 970 for Christmas, but if there's more news like this I might be tempted. Competition is only a good thing, after all.

NVIDIA claims "full support" for DX12, but conveniently ignores that Maxwell is utterly incapable of performing asynchronous compute without heavy reliance on slow context switching.

This is the really bad presidential ad campaign for graphics cards.

Fularu

Banned
To be fair, DX12 offers a more console-like thingamabob and the console codifications will transfarr better to AMD GPUs. Duh.

(I have an AMD GPU so I hope we're past crappy drivers once DX12 hits)

Anyway: List of upcoming DX12 games

Arma 3 (Update through DLC)
Star Citizen
Killer Instinct
Fable Legends
ReGears of ReWar: Chainsaw in your Face Edition
ARK (Update)
DayZ (Will the game even be finished by then Edition)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Sick Hair Tech Edition
Hitmang: We Realised the Last Game sucked Edition

That's way more than 4 games guys. It's like, twice as many.

Ashes of singularity, Star Wars Battlefront, probably every single future Frostbyte Engine game too.

They'll start adding up because as he said, game developpers have been doing mantle style developpement for years now and can apply that knowledge to PC development just fine.

Fularu

Banned
LMAO they better pray that Nvidia's driver update for async doesn't shatter their hopes and dreams.

You can't fix achitecture designs through driver updates.

Also Nvidia drivers have been so so for 18 months now and downright shitty on win10

magnumpy

maybe all this bad news for nvidia will drop their market share down to just 80%

truly tough times over at nvidia

Grassy

You can't fix achitecture designs through driver updates.

Also Nvidia drivers have been so so for 18 months now and downright shitty on win10

Nvidia's first few sets of drivers after the Windows 10/Skylake launch were pretty bad with regards to SLI, but the WHQL MGS V/Mad Max drivers fixed any issues with that.

K' Dash

Meh, I love my 780, it destroys amything I throw at it, but if AMD can do it better and cheaper, this is very good news for the industry as a whole.

I have seen this mentioned a lot, but I have yet to experience myself. Why are Nvidia drivers considered bad under Win10?

Well here's a list of issues I have with Win10 (some were Win8 as well) on my 980Ti. Do note this is on a completely fresh install with the latest WHQL driver.

-Sometimes the driver will completely forget which monitor is the primary and which is the secondary. I have to manually reset it in the Nvidia control panel.
-G-Sync will sometimes refuse to work. Have to restart Windows.
-Sometimes games will use 0% GPU and go into single-digit framerate. Happens on different games, different engines. Have to restart the game.
-Random crashes in various games (Witcher 3, FF14, Killing Floor 2).
-Consistent crashes in Essence Engine games (Company of Heroes 2, etc.)

I think a lot of people tend to attribute these to individual games or Windows due to the "Nvidia drivers are so much better" thing, but I never had any of these problems and especially far fewer crashes on my 290X. Either Nvidia drivers are currently shitty or my GPU needs an RMA, but there are tons of threads concerning all the issues I've been having so I'm inclined to believe the former.

tuxfool

Banned
Well here's a list of issues I have with Win10 (some were Win8 as well) on my 980Ti. Do note this is on a completely fresh install with the latest WHQL driver.

-Sometimes the driver will completely forget which monitor is the primary and which is the secondary. I have to manually reset it in the Nvidia control panel.
-G-Sync will sometimes refuse to work. Have to restart Windows.
-Sometimes games will use 0% GPU and go into single-digit framerate. Happens on different games, different engines. Have to restart the game.
-Random crashes in various games (Witcher 3, FF14, Killing Floor 2).
-Consistent crashes in Essence Engine games (Company of Heroes 2, etc.)

I think a lot of people tend to attribute these to individual games or Windows due to the "Nvidia drivers are so much better" thing, but I never had any of these problems and especially far fewer crashes on my 290X. Either Nvidia drivers are currently shitty or my GPU needs an RMA, but there are tons of threads concerning all the issues I've been having so I'm inclined to believe the former.

Anybody that says Nvidia drivers are free of such issues is lying. However, the incidence of problems is probably greater on AMD, though having said that, the ratio is probably greatly exaggerated by noise.

I have seen this mentioned a lot, but I have yet to experience myself. Why are Nvidia drivers considered bad under Win10?

Myself and others have constantly had driver crashes after exiting games. I have personally had my computer freeze a single color for months now after exiting games sometimes (gray, brownish, black, never blue) but I'm not sure if that's Nvidia drivers or something dumb in my PC.

I think battlefront will be big one to see if it pulls off, I mean the Win7 to 8.1 bump was around 7-8% on both amd n nvidia. Here is hoping that Battlefront has a massive jump

Demigod Mac

Nvidia user here. I find it encouraging to see AMD fighting back like this. Nvidia without any competition would suck for us all.

epmode

I hear the same thing but I have to say that I haven't had any problems with Nvidia's Windows 10 graphics drivers. Still no crashes in The Witcher 3, MGS5, Killing Floor 2 or any other less graphically intensive games. No G-Sync issues either.

Anecdotal evidence, I know. Just saying.

Nvidia without any competition would suck for us all.

This I agree with.

Momentary

Banned
We'll be seeing Samsung or Microsoft Radeon here before too long. I don't see them going away, but I do see them getting bought out.

AmyS

I hope AMD can survive long enough to develop APUs for the next gen Sony/Microsoft consoles.

Nintendo money for NX probably isn't going to be enough, right ?

Ryoku

My only issue with Nvidia under Win10 is that WDDM 2.0 currently does not support anything older than Kepler. I have a GTX770 with a GTX460 as a PhysX card. However, because of WDDM 2.0's incompatibility with Fermi cards, my GTX460 is just collecting dust :/

Nvidia has stated, however, that WDDM 2.0 support for Fermi will come soon. How soon? I don't know :(

Other than that, I have had zero issues.

Renekton

My only issue with Nvidia under Win10 is that WDDM 2.0 currently does not support anything older than Kepler. I have a GTX770 with a GTX460 as a PhysX card. However, because of WDDM 2.0's incompatibility with Fermi cards, my GTX460 is just collecting dust :/

Nvidia has stated, however, that WDDM 2.0 support for Fermi will come soon. How soon? I don't know :(
Abit OT but is separate physx card better than having just one decently strong card?

Herne

I hope AMD can survive long enough to develop APUs for the next gen Sony/Microsoft consoles.

Nintendo money for NX probably isn't going to be enough, right ?

AMD makes very little from these deals, but nVidia removed themselves from the equation anyway by falling out with Microsoft and Sony (aside from having no APU solutions this generation).

It's way too early to be saying this. Things can and will change when DX12 becomes more mature or whatever, the first few games coming out with it aren't really going to say "holy shit this is DX12/Vulkan/Mantle".

It is interesting though that during the launch of ps4/x1 that Async Compute was talked about as something to expect later (mostly cerny) and now there is a lot of talk about it just 1 year in.

But whatever, I'm perfectly happy with my 970 even with the outrage over the .5GB of ram, it's a fucking beast card.

Ceebs

I hear the same thing but I have to say that I haven't had any problems with Nvidia's Windows 10 graphics drivers. Still no crashes in The Witcher 3, MGS5, Killing Floor 2 or any other less graphically intensive games. No G-Sync issues either.

Anecdotal evidence, I know. Just saying.

This I agree with.

Yeah, I have not noticed any change in games going from 8.1 to 10.

More than happy with my 980ti in W10.

I would care if there were many DX12 games coming out. Truth is NVIDIA cards offer better performance and driver support for the same price range.

Rocky85

Banned
By the way things are going, who knows if AMD will even be around by the time DX12 is fully adopted by the industry... to my knowledge, right now we only have a single benchmark.
Isnt this a little hyperbolic. Nvidia's marketshare over AMD is lower thans PS4's share over Xbox one. And considering the PC market it can change any time depending on who released the better card that quarter.

With that said I do think this may be overblown, DX12 will take time to settle and pascal will out by then.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Partnerships don't always work out. Plenty of examples in the past of how AMD or NVIDIA has the main splash logo for a particular game and that game ended up performing like crap on that particular card family.

AMD better also be offering decent long-term developer support (as opposed to this just primary being a marketing deal), because it's on that front NVIDIA has always had a big edge on.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out this card gen, I'm not looking to upgrade again until Volta.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From what I've gathered and as I've had it explained to me the potential for AMD gains is there but proof is in the pudding and the fact of the matter is real world benchmarks versus the competition for unreleased games is, at this point, hot air promises and buzz until made reality. Which is not to undersell the potential, or the knowledge that AMD is partnering with some upcoming DX12 games and what benefits may be gained, but I've been PC gaming long enough to know when a company or representative talks the talk about leading performance and advantages the real world equivalents don't always match.

Despite owning a 980 Ti I'd love for there to be significant gains on AMD hardware to maybe boost them in the race and put some much needed pressure on Nvidia. I'd happily sell and jump ship if that were the case. But, you know, it's one thing to have title screens stating "POWERED BY (insert company)" and some half patented tech ship with the engine, and it's another to actually benchmark the performance differences and see where the advantage really sits if anywhere at all.

Ryoku

Isnt this a little hyperbolic. Nvidia's marketshare over AMD is lower thans PS4's share over Xbox one. And considering the PC market it can change any time depending on who released the better card that quarter.

With that said I do think this may be overblown, DX12 will take time to settle and pascal will out by then.

[citation needed]

Top Bottom