• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The vast majority of DX12 titles in 2015/2016 are partnering with AMD

Banned
From what I've gathered and as I've had it explained to me the potential for AMD gains is there but proof is in the pudding and the fact of the matter is real world benchmarks versus the competition for unreleased games is, at this point, hot air promises and buzz until made reality. Which is not to undersell the potential, or the knowledge that AMD is partnering with some upcoming DX12 games and what benefits may be gained, but I've been PC gaming long enough to know when a company or representative talks the talk about leading performance and advantages the real world equivalents don't always match.

Despite owning a 980 Ti I'd love for there to be significant gains on AMD hardware to maybe boost them in the race and put some much needed pressure on Nvidia. I'd happily sell and jump ship if that were the case. But, you know, it's one thing to have title screens stating "POWERED BY (insert company)" and some half patented tech ship with the engine, and it's another to actually benchmark the performance differences and see where the advantage really sits if anywhere at all.
Yeah I'm happy for AMD, they need some more success to push nvidia. But I'll stick with my 980 Ti for now and wait for real benchmarks on these DX12 games.

Also, no crashes or bugs for me yet on W10 gaming.

Renekton

The responses here are:"I buy Nvidia but hope AMD will be fine"

Yeeeeah AMD will be toast soon and we're headed to a Wintelvidia world.

Knurek

The responses here are:"I buy Nvidia but hope AMD will be fine"

Yeeeeah AMD will be toast soon and we're headed to a Wintelvidia world.

And of course, given that Intel just reached XBone GPU levels in their newest CPUs, soon it will be Wintel world.

wazoo

Well here's a list of issues I have with Win10 (some were Win8 as well) on my 980Ti. Do note this is on a completely fresh install with the latest WHQL driver.

Sorry for your problems, but no problem here, and I think that a good experience is worth as much as a bad experience until we have real numbers.

I truly hope AMD will get an advantage with the new DX12 games, they surely need it at this point. That said, I doubt we'll see major differences in the early DX12 games. They're probably just DX11 titles ported over with little to no difference in features or performance.

The full effect of DX12 won't be seen until game devs ditch DX11 support altogether. But given W10 and the widespread support for DX12 with the current cards, the transition should be much faster than what it was with DX11. I think Johan Andersson was hoping to skip DX11 by the end of next year, but that's probably not going to happen.

The further we go this gen, the more I expect multiplats to extract performance out of stuff like Asynchronous Shaders and other GCN optimizations, which should help AMD. It'll be interesting to see how all of this will pan out at 14 nm.

I'm hearing Pascal is just an iterative step over Maxwell in terms of the core architecture, so it might be a problem for Nvidia if AS performance is bad there too. You gotta remember the designs take years to do and you just don't go about changing them willy nilly. Nvidia will have their hands full with HBM2 and the new process node without adding significant architecture changes to the mix.

I'm most interested about DX: Mankind Divided, and ROTTR pc port that's likely to have DX12 too with possibly heavy use of AS. It's also interesting to see how DX12 will work with the next Total War title, given it's a game similar to Ashes of the Singularity with thousands of units and is heavily CPU bound usually.

Walshicus

I'm interested to see how this will turn out as I'm planning on getting a 970 for Christmas, but if there's more news like this I might be tempted. Competition is only a good thing, after all.

I recently upgraded from a 7850 to a 970. Kind of worried I'm not very future proofed by switching...

Oh well, such is the life we choose.

The only problem here is that Nvidia cards roflstomp AMDs offerings in pure performance, so whatever coding benefit AMD's PR team claims they have is going to likely be meaningless.

Brought to you by the same people who claimed Fury X is an overlocker's dream and a Titan killer, so maybe don't trust a word they say.

super6646

Banned
This might finally be the kick in the arse Nvidia needs! After their shady practiced over the last couple of years, I've had enough! So I personally hope Nvidia actually starts to compete, instead of overpricing their cards every year!

Shaneus

Partnering means dick. The amount of games with the "AMD Gaming Evolved" logo that ran like absolute shit on my PC is crazy.

thematic

NVidia user here
but I'm rooting for AMD to fight back

hoping more TressFX like features in the future
I like eye candy effects

I'll switch to AMD if they create more "physx clone" features

Kysen

This is yet another hail Mary AMD expects will pull them out of their rut. By the time any of those DX12 games hit the market NV will have a card that blows them out of the water.

So far everything they've said is based off one benchmark.

bj00rn_

Banned
The market needs strong competition but unfortunately these words come from AMD which is on the brink of dying in the GPU market, words are pretty much the only option they have to fight with right now. Also theory and practise (and pr speak vs real world practical numbers) are different things entirely. Partnering doesn`t mean much right now, if we think anything will change for the consumer during the next 1-2 years we may probably be gullible as usual.

I'd be nice to see AMD get some more market share, even things out with Nvidia and bring some real competition to the GPU market. I hope this works out for them and they sell some cards, especially if they really thought that far ahead to with GCN they deserve a win in my opinion.

Freiya

Switched my 280x for a 970 might be a bad choice in the end given how Nvidia cards age. Needed the hdmi 2.0 so no regrets.

This is the main reason I'm waiting to dump my 290x CF for 980 TI sli setup. I really want hdmi 2.0 so I can game on my 65 inch 4k Samsung. I still can't believe AMD doesn't have hdmi 2.0 on any of their cards. Even if by some weird chance I wanted to go AMD again (no way in hell) I still wouldn't be able to do it.

Jtrizzy

Surprised to see people saying the drivers suck on Nvidia for W10. It's been great for me, although I think the gains are also coming from better use of hyper threading.

Durante

You know, I expected a bit more coming into this thread than an AMD marketing statement.

Surprised to see people saying the drivers suck on Nvidia for W10. It's been great for me, although I think the gains are also coming from better use of hyper threading.
There was an issue with shadowplay that happened to me, it got patched ~1 week after the WIndows 10 release though.

Mabufu

Banned
Shouldn`t a minimum effort in a discussion where one is refuting something be to post WHY it is wrong..

AMD R9 390 and GTX970 trade blows being at the same price, usually having the 390 a slight lead. So no, there's no better performance at the same cost.

Source: I researched a lot this last week since I just bough a new PC.

patapuf

As with games themselves, it's best to wait until we can acutally see how the cards perform before declaring anything.

Though i guess AMD needs any positive word of mouth it can get.

Kezen

Banned
Good news if it means higher-than-console settings in our PC versions. Hopefully Rise of the Tomb Raider supports DX12.

bj00rn_

Banned
There was about as much effort in providing evidence in the initial statement.

Oh yeah that really helps....

I responded to the last person with an empty statement, doesnt mean I side with similar type post from another angle

What`s more interesting to read, well thought out opinions around facts, or baseless conjectures stemming from bizarre brand loyalty

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
A Neogaf thread of compute enabled games would be good and the benefits it's brining. I know of one upcoming PS4 game built using compute; Tomorrow Children with it's gorgeous lighting.

An AMD employee on reddit in a thread discrediting the competitors performance regarding a hardware specific / optional implementation of DX12 is used as the basis for a thread reportedly espousing "facts".

Yikes.

Kezen

Banned
A Neogaf thread of compute enabled games would be good and the benefits it's brining. I know of one upcoming PS4 game built using compute; Tomorrow Children with it's gorgeous lighting.

There are many, many games using GPU compute. Since 2009 on PC.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
When ur latest card doesnt have a dvi port why the fuck would i buy it when thats what i use

cameron

AMD employee loves AMD.

I'm reminded of AMD’s Roy Taylor from a while back and his comments about DirectX 12.

laxu

An AMD employee on reddit in a thread discrediting the competitors performance regarding a hardware specific / optional implementation of DX12 is used as the basis for a thread reportedly espousing "facts".

Yikes.

Yup. With all this hoopla about Nvidia's issues with async compute (which they are supposedly rectifying in a driver update) the only thing I'm worried about is my GTX 980 Ti resale value. Got rid of my two 970s for roughly what I paid for them and hope to keep the 980 Ti at least until Nvidia comes out with a card that gives a significant performance boost. I'm expecting that to be whatever they release in 2017 but if this whole async thing turns out to actually be a real issue then I'll be pissed that my top end card isn't so top after all.

I'm all for competition as it means better and cheaper graphics cards for us consumers but I'm still unlikely to go AMD. I've got a G-Sync display and in general I've had a really good run with Nvidia. No major problems with cards or drivers.

Stevey

They'll still run fine on my Intel/Nvidia system, theres nothing anyone could say to make me switch CPU or GPU to AMD.

Top Bottom