• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft is considering increasing the price of Game Pass Ultimate again.

XXL

Who cares. Gamepass is the best deal in the world and Phil Spencer is the best CEO in the world.
Katt Williams Katt GIF by EsZ  Giphy World

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Price increases are normal for sub services, this isn’t surprising anyone. I’m betting they raise it right around the time CoD2K25 is out and on the service. That or maybe at the showcase next month they announce all the Calls of Doodies are on GamePass and then raise it.

And you’ll still be able to buy months of service for $3-5 a pop on key sites or do the “free” method if you want to waste time on MS Rewards.

They've changed it enough to trigger a destructive chain reaction inside Xbox. IMO, of course. It's just MS was too boneheaded to kill the deal.

Agreed. What people have to remember is that Satya was asking Phil about console sales in 2021. Since then their sales have cratered and then the ABK deal finally closed. The situation Xbox was in when the deal started compared to when it finished has changed drastically.

Even at $20 a month for ultimate it's cheaper than buying 4 games a year, and if you buy and play only 4 games a year spread throughout the year you can accomplish that with gamepass for a bit more than the price of 1 retail game by just paying for the month the game is on while playing the abundance of f2p options during off months. It is actually the most consumer friendly service in gaming, but few saw the true value being offered. I feel when all is said and done and the "final" iteration of the dominant service is upon us, regardless of who is providing it, will not offer anywhere near as much content as GP does at a similar price points.
The bolded is why I always laugh when people call gamepass the best "value in gaming". Your own posts even proves it. There are f2p games that are significantly better than a majority of games Xbox offers on the service. And those games don't require you to pay ANYTHING.

Even on top of that, has Xbox has a year where they had 4 full priced games in which it would be cheaper to own gamepass over just buying the games individually? The whole premise of sub services is just based on fake value, when when you stop and just take a look, the value just isn't there.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If they do I'm cancelling, iv realised I'm not using it nearly as much as I did, so this would be the reason to cancel if they go forward.

Fbh

But I was told on GAF that Gamepass is insanely profitable so MS had no incentive to ever increase the price, and also that it's a better and more profitable model for big AAA blockbusters as well as more unique niche titles.
Now MS is considering increasing the price, thinking it might negatively affect COD and closed down some of their more notable studios that made cool niche titles?
I'm confused.

ToadMan

Sony watching all this laughing lmao

I was thinking this yesterday... MS have presented a total open goal to Sony now.

If they have anything they can get out the door from first party with PS5 Pro, it really would kill xbox off before the end of the year. Xbox is teetering and just needs a little push from the outside - the house of cards will collapse and it'll just be Sony and Nintendo left.

But it's very quiet in Sony first party land right now.... I have doubts anything is close enough and/or big enough to do the job.

What have Nintendo got and when??

BlackTron

I was thinking this yesterday... MS have presented a total open goal to Sony now.

If they have anything they can get out the door from first party with PS5 Pro, it really would kill xbox off before the end of the year. Xbox is teetering and just needs a little push from the outside - the house of cards will collapse and it'll just be Sony and Nintendo left.

But it's very quiet in Sony first party land right now.... I have doubts anything is close enough and/or big enough to do the job.

What have Nintendo got and when??

You can't kill a third party publisher by shrinking sales of a game console.

StereoVsn

Won’t surprise me if CoD alone equals medium double digits of Xbox whole revenue tbh.
If they were smart they would leave current setup alone and add CoD tier for the newer games. Put the old ones on GamePass U/PC.

That’s a big IF for current Microsoft though.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Going to sub for hellblade 2 and lords of the fallen to see the UE5 features. Even if its $20 on PC, it would be a good deal. Anything more and im out.
Im playing lords of the fallen now... some bad choices here and there but in general is a pretty competent souls like game.. dont get the criticisms it got. Its basically a copy of dark souls (worst but close)

Cornbread78

I'm still on my Gold Live 3 year conversion stack, which cost me about $80 for 36/mos through CDKeys, so there is no way in hell I'll resub at $15+ a month

I mean of course, I don't want to pay more for anything, but aren't businesses always considering raising prices? At least in my business I'm always considering it lol

Pop

Going to sub for hellblade 2 and lords of the fallen to see the UE5 features. Even if its $20 on PC, it would be a good deal. Anything more and im out.
Dude its a dollar*. Where you get $20 at

*Just keep making new accs. You share gamepass with all accounts

xrnzaaas

I love the tactic "now you get less new content for more". Definitely worked for the streaming subs.

Last edited:

Zheph

But I was told on GAF that Gamepass is insanely profitable so MS had no incentive to ever increase the price, and also that it's a better and more profitable model for big AAA blockbusters as well as more unique niche titles.
Now MS is considering increasing the price, thinking it might negatively affect COD and closed down some of their more notable studios that made cool niche titles?
I'm confused.
I have a massive headache too. GP was curing cancer after all, was it not?

Game Pass will actually bring about what I want faster (by cratering the AAA market), but we're not gonna have the "AAA games as far as the eye can see" paradise that is being promised by these companies. The business model isn't sustainable without eventually putting a halt to the loss leader gravy train.

That old thread is absolutely wild. It's almost like Microsoft has always acted this way over and over again. Bizarre. But hey, at least you guys saved some money by clipping coupons huh?

Top Bottom