• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vita: My first non-Nintendo handheld

9akki9nm.jpg

The Playstation Vita is one of the finest video game consoles I've ever owned and for me is the most underrated system branded the Playstation name. Whatever notoriety it has stems from both its lack of support by its own producer and its prohibitive memory card costs, though above all else I think it should be remembered for its sleek hardware design, home console quality library, and for providing consumers portable accessibility to the budding indie scene.

lbs5qyMm.jpg

Hardware-wise, the Vita hits all the notes Nintendo had failed to strike with its own portable offering dating all the way back to the Game Boy Micro. Unencumbered by a top screen and clamshell the Vita's display offers a wide uninterrupted vista of spacious viewing pleasure. While I think some games suffer for the lack of a second display like Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and The Swapper, more exciting offerings like Killzone: Mercenary and Gravity Rush would have likely arrived as catastrophic failures under any other viewing format.

2S4va9pm.jpg

Software library on this one is hard to judge either qualitatively or quantitatively. It has a lot of great games if you know how and where to find them; then again it doesn't if you don't. As a mainstream device it's a complete failure, top and down, and I won't do its main competitor a disservice by comparing the two in that regard, though I will say it trumps the DS/3DS in one area here very important to me and that's its indie offerings.

Prior to the Vita, I never knew how much I would love indie games.

At first, I thought them to be cheap 8-bit cashgrabs developed crudely by industry rejects and failures, then I played Spelunky, followed by Frozen Synapse Prime, and then Hotline Miami. From that point, they became an essential part of my gaming diet and so I played with the Vita more and more, my 3DS less and less. Prior to the Nintendo Switch, I've wondered what repelled Nintendo to indie games and support and while I could have forgiven the 3DS/DS for the absence of "console quality" games I thought the lack of indie support was a big fucking oversight.

That said, my favorite games on the system.

a3142896863_7.jpg

5. Hotline Miami - I'm not into violent, obscene games. The last one I played through and through was Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. I've tried the Resident Evils, the mainline Grand Theft Auto games, and even Doom. I'm not squeamish but they don't resonate with me at all, so I was hesitant to try out Hotline Miami. Having said that, this game exploits my one big weakness, one that transcends all of video games: my love for 80s style tunes and themes. If it looks 80s, feels 80s, or sounds 80s, it's a wrap for me. If Sony were to lace all of their games with 80s music, I'd change my GAF name to SonysBooger right then and there. In Hotline Miami, the fast-paced psychedelic and surreal vibe combined with the killer soundtrack propelled me past my reservations on the other things and I was able to finish the game in two sittings.

frozen_synapse_prime_icon_by_deckagon-dal56c0.png

4. Frozen Synapse Prime - I love dystopia. I love cyberpunk. Coupled with turn-based tactics, clean artwork, and nice rifts? The coolest part of the game is the ability to simulate a preview of the projected results of your actions, meaning once you decide on your troop placement and actions you can run a brief clip to see how all of that would play out before committing to it. Prior to this gem, my experience with tactic games was limited to SJRPGs like Fire Emblem and RTSs like Pikmin but now I'm a fan of this franchise and hope the fine folks at Mode 7 continue making games on dedicated gaming formats (hint, hint).

Killzone-Mercenary-1-2-150x150.jpg

3. Killzone: Mercenary - Again, not very into violent shooters and this one seemed pretty visceral and gritty compared to the likes of Call of Duty, but every once in a while I'll purchase a system's high-water mark performance title and this one was visually impressive and overall fun despite my enjoyment being hampered somewhat by my lack of first-person shooter skills and reluctance to take advantage of its online features.

steins-gate-3-150x150.jpg

2. Steins;Gate - My love for visual novels began with Hotel Dusk. If you've never played it on the DS, it's one of those surreal experiences that make you wish you had never played it just to play it anew once more. Felt the same way about this one, though there was one very disturbing scene involving Okabe and Luka I took exception to and it almost ruined the whole experience for me. While the story starts out very slow - VERY SLOW - the plot eventually blossoms into a rich thriller filled with good suspense, twists, and drama. Outside of achieving the perfect ending there's no replayability here (for obvious reasons) but my first and only playthrough was enough to cement this as my favorite visual novel to date.

Soul-Sacrifice-Delta-Snow-White-150x150.jpg

1. Soul Sacrifice Delta - Let me say that I hate hunting games. I hate Monster Hunter and all of its various spinoffs; I hate all the copycats; and even don't care much for the precursor to all of this in Phantasy Star Online. So what makes Sony's own place-holder for the then-departed Monster Hunter franchise so special for me? The lore. There are pages and pages of lore related to monsters, the realm, and the characters who woefully inhabit this fucked up fairytale universe. The rich voice-acting jives well with the storytelling narrative driving the game's pretty scant plot but as for the gameplay itself Soul Sacrifice is more accessible compared to the mainline MH series and less inventory-driven. We'll never see another Soul Sacrifice game again but this game left its mark with me for qualities not commonly associated with the monster hunting games and hopefully won't be forever absent in future offerings in the genre (I'm talking about you, MHW).

Honorable Mentions
  • Natural Doctrine
  • The Swapper

Vita games I didn't much care for:

Freedom Wars - Soul Sacrifice Delta's saving grace for me was its lore and storytelling, otherwise it's just an empty husk of a monster hunter clone which Freedom Wars turned out to be for me.

Natural Doctrine - I actually loved the combat mechanics of this sjrpg for they were intuitive and deep. Everything else about this game fell short, including the PSP graphics, lame story, awful characters, basic world, and generic enemies. Hard as nails and I beat it but that was nothing to gloat over.

Dead Nation - Found it to be an over-the-top violent twin-sticks zombie shooter lacking in charm or sustainable value. Great weapon selection and stages were richly atmospheric. Surprisingly I finished the game but it wasn't a memorable experience.

Persona 4 Golden - Apparently the game that goes hand-in-hand with the Vita like Tetris and Game Boy or Duck Hunt and the NES. It was obvious from the beginning of my adventure why the game is so critically praised. Personally, I hated the cast -- pretty much all of them. A couple of them were perverts and reminded me of Itaru in Steins;Gate whom I also despised for the same reasons. For a game like this, I think it's essential for the characters to click with the gamer but once that's lost then the whole experience goes sideways. The music didn't do much for me either. Mechanically, I found this to be a solid jRPG but the fan service was suffocating for someone accustomed to the jRPGs from yesteryear.

None of these games stained my experience with the Vita in any way.

Right now, I'm trying to grow my Vita's PS1 library since I missed most of the games from that generation. With the Vita and now the Switch, my future is a handheld one and I'm looking forward to enjoying more games from these systems.

Even with the Switch, I still hit up playing my Vita every now and then. I still remember the night that the NGP was shown in Japan, I was blown away watching Uncharted run on a portable.

I genuinely enjoyed playing this system for years, it was pure joy when the games came out. To this day, my Vita game collection is the largest of all my systems.

whome0

I have a massive PSVita backlog catalog due to PS+ games. Very early on had to order 64GB memory card from Japan but it can hold a fraction of games I would like to play. So I try to crunch through my backlog slowly and timely fashion. PSVita form-factor and weight is perfect for my hands.

SteamWorld Dig is my one of the favorite games. There is SteamWorld Dig 2 available but I have not tried it.

Sky Force Aniversary scroller shooter was this month ps+ game and straight to my favorite list. This is a genre clone of classic 1942 arcade game. Works perfectly with a twin stick handheld console.

I have the 64 GB card myself and I've never felt so dirty paying for a video game accessory in my life but after a few weeks the guilt of spending so much money on an overpriced proprietary item washed away and now I'm looking to cop another memory card (this time for cheaper).

L.O.R.D

thanks to hacked Vita and micro SD adapter, i can use any kind of micro SD, i am saving for 200GB so i can use it on my Vita.

PetrCobra

I was never a fan of Sony's portables. Played some PSP games but because of the horrid UMDs, whenever I contemplated buying the console I decided not to in the end. I think what also contributed to this were the different models and conflicting reports on which one is the best. I always lost interest before reaching a conclusion.

Vita is a different beast. The models problem is still there to an extent, but the main thing that prevents me from getting one is the overpriced memory cards. Is that still a thing, or are they closer to SD cards now, price-wise?

thanks to hacked Vita and micro SD adapter, i can use any kind of micro SD, i am saving for 200GB so i can use it on my Vita.
Oh. That's something to consider. Is the hacking invasive? Does it require a downgraded firmware?

You can pick up some classics like Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Final Fantasy IV, Alundra, Chrono Trigger, and others for cheap. Or could, at least. It's been a while.

L.O.R.D

I was never a fan of Sony's portables. Played some PSP games but because of the horrid UMDs, whenever I contemplated buying the console I decided not to in the end. I think what also contributed to this were the different models and conflicting reports on which one is the best. I always lost interest before reaching a conclusion.

Vita is a different beast. The models problem is still there to an extent, but the main thing that prevents me from getting one is the overpriced memory cards. Is that still a thing, or are they closer to SD cards now, price-wise?

Oh. That's something to consider. Is the hacking invasive? Does it require a downgraded firmware?
hacking only works on 3.60, but it's very easy to do, hust use the browser on vita to activate the hack and you are done.
i can even disable AVLS on euro slim vita for good thanks to hacks.

there is no downgrade method on Vita, and to this day there is no way to play 3.61+ games.
and 2 month ago sony blocked any non 3.65 vita from downloading games from the store or even transfer the games from PS3.

but i rather have full PSP emulator and huge memory card instead of several games.

trikster40

I love my vita. Remote play with the pro is amazing, no more lag at all. I usually don’t play handhelds but I’ve played my vita way more than my psp or dis.

You should look into a PSP if you're into Japanese games. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, and Knights in the Nightmare are top-notch.

Käebi

hacking only works on 3.60, but it's very easy to do, hust use the browser on vita to activate the hack and you are done.

there is no downgrade method on Vita, and to this day there is no way to play 3.61+ games.
and 2 month ago sony blocked any non 3.65 vita from downloading games from the store or even transfer the games from PS3.

but i rather have full PSP emulator and huge memory card instead of several games.

That's a bummer. Honestly I think if Sony would care about securing the firmware against hackers as much as they care about supporting it with first- and second-party games, the Vita could see a small revolution.
Being able to use any MicroSD card and any emulator would definetly increase the systems appeal; but it wouldn't generate Sony much income I suppose, even while they still release new colored models.

Qwark

Lol, my Trump to Kittens browser extension changed all of your pics to kittens, I assume because of the newspaper headline.

Anyway, I love my Vita. There's so many great games I've played on it, some that have rivaled big budget games (not as many as I hoped, I'll admit), to Indie games, to classics, to RPG's. The library is surprisingly deep and cross-buy is amazing. I have so many games in my backlog still.

It really deserved better, a better memory card and dropping the back touch for R2/L2 would've been huge improvements.

Some of my favorite games include:
Tearaway
Digimon: Cyber Sleuth
Gravity Rush
Jeanne D'arc
P4G
Downwell
PSABR
FFX
LBP
SoundShapes
Lumines
Katamari

BouncyFrag

I have a massive PSVita backlog catalog due to PS+ games. Very early on had to order 64GB memory card from Japan but it can hold a fraction of games I would like to play. So I try to crunch through my backlog slowly and timely fashion. PSVita form-factor and weight is perfect for my hands.

SteamWorld Dig is my one of the favorite games. There is SteamWorld Dig 2 available but I have not tried it.

Sky Force Aniversary scroller shooter was this month ps+ game and straight to my favorite list. This is a genre clone of classic 1942 arcade game. Works perfectly with a twin stick handheld console.
SteamWorld Dig 2 is fantastic. SteamWorld Heist is also great.

Grinchy

Banned
I really like the Vita as well, but I'm let down by the library. That's not to say it doesn't have some awesome games, but the big hitters stopped coming out very early on since the sales were so bad. Things obviously fare much better on the Japanese side since it was successful there.

I mostly use it as a PS1 handheld at this point. I'm just not huge into most modern JRPGs anymore, which is weird because the PS1 games I play on it are mostly JRPGs.

I love my vita. I also have a cat that gets his kicks from chewing through cables. My vita cable no longer works because of him. I'm also down to one charging cable for my pixel.

FireCloud

The Vita is a great handheld. I still play mine and would play more if I had the time.

I find it interesting that one of the (many) complaints people seemed to raise against it was that "no one" is interested in playing console games on the go. Seems that feeling has now changed since the release Switch. It is now ok to play a game docked and then take it on the go as well.

I think the Vita faced an uphill battle with the entrenched Nintendo handhelds from the start. Shame more people didn't give it a chance.

I plan on picking up another Vita sometime soon as a backup for my original OLED model. I'll probably pickup one of the newer models so that I can use a more standard charger with it.

FMbarbarian

The Vita is easily my favorite handheld beating out the gba. I have a decent collection of games to go back to whenever I hit a game lull. The memory card gripe is completely understandable but once you get over that hurdle it’s a special little device.

Spinoff90

Honorable Mentions
* Natural Doctrine

Natural Doctrine

VzV1mIV.gif

--------

Vita surpassed GBA as my favorite handheld of all time which I never expected going in since I hated the PSP. Equally surprising was the fact that the 3DS was the first Nintendo handheld I didn't enjoy. Huge role reversal from the PSP and DS. I do wish Sony supported it better as well as Western third parties (In particular the stereotypical Canadian in me wanted some kind of NHL game) but at least the indie and Japanese devs have kept it going.

Grinchy

Banned
The Vita is a great handheld. I still play mine and would play more if I had the time.

I find it interesting that one of the (many) complaints people seemed to raise against it was that "no one" is interested in playing console games on the go. Seems that feeling has now changed since the release Switch. It is now ok to play a game docked and then take it on the go as well.

I think the Vita faced an uphill battle with the entrenched Nintendo handhelds from the start. Shame more people didn't give it a chance.

I plan on picking up another Vita sometime soon as a backup for my original OLED model. I'll probably pickup one of the newer models so that I can use a more standard charger with it.

I think their biggest mistake was not having 2 shoulder buttons to perfectly mimic the console controls. It made console-tier games and remote play such a headache when it could have been a huge strength of the system.

The back touchpad and the cameras add nothing of value the way 2 shoulder buttons would have.

9akki9nm.jpg

The Playstation Vita is one of the finest video game consoles I've ever owned and for me is the most underrated system branded the Playstation name. Whatever notoriety it has stems from both its lack of support by its own producer and its prohibitive memory card costs, though above all else I think it should be remembered for its sleek hardware design, home console quality library, and for providing consumers portable accessibility to the budding indie scene.

lbs5qyMm.jpg

Hardware-wise, the Vita hits all the notes Nintendo had failed to strike with its own portable offering dating all the way back to the Game Boy Micro. Unencumbered by a top screen and clamshell the Vita's display offers a wide uninterrupted vista of spacious viewing pleasure. While I think some games suffer for the lack of a second display like Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and The Swapper, more exciting offerings like Killzone: Mercenary and Gravity Rush would have likely arrived as catastrophic failures under any other viewing format.

2S4va9pm.jpg

Software library on this one is hard to judge either qualitatively or quantitatively. It has a lot of great games if you know how and where to find them; then again it doesn't if you don't. As a mainstream device it's a complete failure, top and down, and I won't do its main competitor a disservice by comparing the two in that regard, though I will say it trumps the DS/3DS in one area here very important to me and that's its indie offerings.

Prior to the Vita, I never knew how much I would love indie games.

At first, I thought them to be cheap 8-bit cashgrabs developed crudely by industry rejects and failures, then I played Spelunky, followed by Frozen Synapse Prime, and then Hotline Miami. From that point, they became an essential part of my gaming diet and so I played with the Vita more and more, my 3DS less and less. Prior to the Nintendo Switch, I've wondered what repelled Nintendo to indie games and support and while I could have forgiven the 3DS/DS for the absence of "console quality" games I thought the lack of indie support was a big fucking oversight.

a3142896863_7.jpg

5. Hotline Miami - I'm not into violent, obscene games. The last one I played through and through was Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. I've tried the Resident Evils, the mainline Grand Theft Auto games, and even Doom. I'm not squeamish but they don't resonate with me at all, so I was hesitant to try out Hotline Miami. Having said that, this game exploits my one big weakness, one that transcends all of video games: my love for 80s style tunes and themes. If it looks 80s, feels 80s, or sounds 80s, it's a wrap for me. If Sony were to lace all of their games with 80s music, I'd change my GAF name to SonysBooger right then and there. In Hotline Miami, the fast-paced psychedelic and surreal vibe combined with the killer soundtrack propelled me past my reservations on the other things and I was able to finish the game in two sittings.

frozen_synapse_prime_icon_by_deckagon-dal56c0.png

4. Frozen Synapse Prime - I love dystopia. I love cyberpunk. Coupled with turn-based tactics, clean artwork, and nice rifts? The coolest part of the game is the ability to simulate a preview of the projected results of your actions, meaning once you decide on your troop placement and actions you can run a brief clip to see how all of that would play out before committing to it. Prior to this gem, my experience with tactic games was limited to SJRPGs like Fire Emblem and RTSs like Pikmin but now I'm a fan of this franchise and hope the fine folks at Mode 7 continue making games on dedicated gaming formats (hint, hint).

Killzone-Mercenary-1-2-150x150.jpg

3. Killzone: Mercenary - Again, not very into violent shooters and this one seemed pretty visceral and gritty compared to the likes of Call of Duty, but every once in a while I'll purchase a system's high-water mark performance title and this one was visually impressive and overall fun despite my enjoyment being hampered somewhat by my lack of first-person shooter skills and reluctance to take advantage of its online features.

steins-gate-3-150x150.jpg

2. Steins;Gate - My love for visual novels began with Hotel Dusk. If you've never played it on the DS, it's one of those surreal experiences that make you wish you had never played it just to play it anew once more. Felt the same way about this one, though there was one very disturbing scene involving Okabe and Luka I took exception to and it almost ruined the whole experience for me. While the story starts out very slow - VERY SLOW - the plot eventually blossoms into a rich thriller filled with good suspense, twists, and drama. Outside of achieving the perfect ending there's no replayability here (for obvious reasons) but my first and only playthrough was enough to cement this as my favorite visual novel to date.

Soul-Sacrifice-Delta-Snow-White-150x150.jpg

1. Soul Sacrifice Delta - Let me say that I hate hunting games. I hate Monster Hunter and all of its various spinoffs; I hate all the copycats; and even don't care much for the precursor to all of this in Phantasy Star Online. So what makes Sony's own place-holder for the then-departed Monster Hunter franchise so special for me? The lore. There are pages and pages of lore related to monsters, the realm, and the characters who woefully inhabit this fucked up fairytale universe. The rich voice-acting jives well with the storytelling narrative driving the game's pretty scant plot but as for the gameplay itself Soul Sacrifice is more accessible compared to the mainline MH series and less inventory-driven. We'll never see another Soul Sacrifice game again but this game left its mark with me for qualities not commonly associated with the monster hunting games and hopefully won't be forever absent in future offerings in the genre (I'm talking about you, MHW).

Honorable Mentions
  • Natural Doctrine
  • The Swapper

Freedom Wars - Soul Sacrifice Delta's saving grace for me was its lore and storytelling, otherwise it's just an empty husk of a monster hunter clone which Freedom Wars turned out to be for me.

Natural Doctrine - I actually loved the combat mechanics of this sjrpg for they were intuitive and deep. Everything else about this game fell short, including the PSP graphics, lame story, awful characters, basic world, and generic enemies. Hard as nails and I beat it but that was nothing to gloat over.

Dead Nation - Found it to be an over-the-top violent twin-sticks zombie shooter lacking in charm or sustainable value. Great weapon selection and stages were richly atmospheric. Surprisingly I finished the game but it wasn't a memorable experience.

Persona 4 Golden - Apparently the game that goes hand-in-hand with the Vita like Tetris and Game Boy or Duck Hunt and the NES. It was obvious from the beginning of my adventure why the game is so critically praised. Personally, I hated the cast -- pretty much all of them. A couple of them were perverts and reminded me of Itaru in Steins;Gate whom I also despised for the same reasons. For a game like this, I think it's essential for the characters to click with the gamer but once that's lost then the whole experience goes sideways. The music didn't do much for me either. Mechanically, I found this to be a solid jRPG but the fan service was suffocating for someone accustomed to the jRPGs from yesteryear.

None of these games stained my experience with the Vita in any way.

Right now, I'm trying to grow my Vita's PS1 library since I missed most of the games from that generation. With the Vita and now the Switch, my future is a handheld one and I'm looking forward to enjoying more games from these systems.
Little off topic, but my son collects consoles and handhelds. He wants a vita for Christmas. Which model should I get him. Thanks.

autoduelist

Probably wins as my favorite gaming platform of all time.

I've owned various nintendo devices and the psp... nothing ever grabbed me. I thought handhelds just weren't for me. Then I had a bunch of traveling to do, and my wife told me to get a vita. and.... yeah. Now I have like 300 games just in my backlog.

It's such an incredible gaming machine. I owned a 16meg card, upgraded to 32, then to 64. people complain about the price... but that was money so well spent.

FMbarbarian

Little off topic, but my son collects consoles and handhelds. He wants a vita for Christmas. Which model should I get him. Thanks.

I’d suggest the 2000 model. It’s a little smaller and it takes a micro(mini?) usb as the charger instead of the Sony proprietary charger. Admittedly the screen is a bit nicer on the original model.

sublimit

Banned
I'd suggest the 2000 model. It's a little smaller and it takes a micro(mini?) usb as the charger instead of the Sony proprietary charger. Admittedly the screen is a bit nicer on the original model.

I have the original and although the colors look a bit more vibrant those black spots that appear when the picture gets dark are very annoying.I think almost all of the original models have that problem.

lights

I’d suggest the 2000 model. It’s a little smaller and it takes a micro(mini?) usb as the charger instead of the Sony proprietary charger. Admittedly the screen is a bit nicer on the original model.

The increase in battery life feels pretty significant to me as well.

Still my favourite handheld of all time. Will probably be my favourite platform of all time to be honest when all is said and done. Currently own 3 of which I'm playing one as I type this message.

It has just the right mix of western and Japanese games (yes, I know it has more Japanese games by far, but that suits my tastes better anyway) and the mix of genres is just brilliant. I love JRPG's which are well represented and I can get brilliant shooters (Killzone); action games (Uncharted); quirky adventures (Tearaway); racing games (WipEout); visual novels (DanganRonpa); strategy games (Civilization); fighting games (Dead or Alive 5); platformers (Rayman) etc. to fill whatever mood I'm feeling.

Throw in a load of my favourite classics from the PS2 era (Jak/Ratchet/Sly); a sea of my favourite PS1 games (Final Fantasy/Metal Gear Solid/Spyro) plus a load of PSP games that I'm just discovering for the first time now (never owned one at the time) and yeah, you've got a recipe for a very happy Kresnik.

Agent X

I still feel that it's a fantastic handheld system, even after more than 5½ years on the market. Its library is packed with both "big" console-style games that you can sink hours of time into, and bite-sized diversions to whittle away a few minutes. Even though the hardware sales have stalled, and development efforts are starting to slow down, it still puts out a decent amount of quality games considering its age and the size of the user base.

It's been an awesome ride so far, and I'm glad that the ride isn't over yet!

Peterc

Vita is dead, not? It's like buying a wiiu.
Not that it's bad, but you should be thirsty to play some exclusive games on it you like.

But again, if you loved it, I love the wiiu too. All unsuccessful game devices has cool games on it and aren't always bad in design. Look at dreamcast, gamecube, xbox1

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I love you. The Vita passion and love from the OP is something that puts a smile on my face and fills my heart with joy. Vita truly is a one of a kind platform. I will cherish and love my Vita for all time unlike any other gaming platform. I own more Vita games than games for any other platform. It was truly a one of a kind system, and it will be missed.

I tip my hat to the Vita and all my fellow Vita loving brethren. We were truly blessed by this godlike handheld. It deserved better.

The Vita definitely deserved better then it got. I really feel If they had not used a proprietary memory card and a normal charging cable it would have a different story. That being said it’s well worth the money. Especially when you look at the cost of a scuff controller or a camera for the ps4 that no one really uses. Long live Vita.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I have the original and although the colors look a bit more vibrant those black spots that appear when the picture gets dark are very annoying.I think almost all of the original models have that problem.

What? I have the OG Vita and I have no idea what you're talking about.

OuterLimits

I still play my PSP. Would have upgraded to the Vita had I not made the horrible choice of buying most of my games on UMD. The memory card issue really hurt the system in my opinion. Not that it would have ever been a huge seller, but Sony really screwed up and made it difficult to find any success.

Great read OP

I still boot my PSTV from time to time, Vita and PSP had a pretty great selection of games you cant get anywhere else.

I grabbed an old OLED Vita for £10 from Facebook a while back, running something like 3.50 but I've never gotten around to hacking it. Still use my Lime Green Slim daily though for remote play when in work.

GametimeUK

I very much enjoyed old titles like MGS2 and Final Fantasy 10 along with the big Sony exclusives like Uncharted. It was also good to just have portable Rahman etc and then there's all those sweet indie games that suit the handheld. Heck, I love remote play for PS4 too I used to farm strikes with my friends on Destiny when I was out of the house and also stream PS3 games like Infamous.

Amazing machine. Really gave me a reason to use PS Now.

Top Bottom