• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
LOS2 trailer said PS3,360. Its entirely possible its a Wii U title but never know. It is Konami

If Nintendo should convince us that something has changed in terms of third parties on the Wii U, compared to the Wii and GC and N64....they should work with unexpected software houses.
Such as Konami, or Bethesda (just pick up two random names among the japanes and western developers that did not support previous Nintendo home consoles).

Terrell

Of course, I remember wishing for more levels. I also haven't said, "There has never been worthwhile DLC."

But the DLC model actively encourages publishers to withhold content. That's what makes it anti-consumer. In the past, there has never been such an impetus to release the minimal acceptable amount of content. And that's an important point.

Is Mario Galaxy without Luigi worth $50? Sure, it is. Is it worth $55 with Luigi? Probably. But I got it for $50 with that extra content because there was no mechanism for the publisher to withhold the extra stuff and then sell it later.

So, first things first, the bolded is an outright fallacy.

This is the same argument that pro-lifers use regarding abortions, that being that the existence of an option is inherently awful, not the way in which it is used. Which is simply untrue.

I held the opinion for years that Facebook would ruin me by replacing genuine interaction with other humans with the illusion of friendships. There are many people who use it that way, but you're not MANDATED to. I use it as a complimentary thing in my daily life, not a supplementary thing to fill a void.

This is where your argument on DLC falls apart. It's not DLC itself that's the problem, it's how certain publishers use it. Look at WB Games and Arkham City, for example... A few challenge maps with re-skins of characters that are entirely optional for a fair price, and then BOOM, DLC for original buyers of the game so they're not made to re-buy it as the GOTY edition just for this (like we would have in the past).

The fact that you yourself admit that it's not all bad validates this point.

An idea...

At the end of the crash zoom out of the scene with it being a still on the "tv" screen behind Reggie here...

I know its a backdrop, but it still looks like a TV screen there.

lol This man is a genius, I love it! Someone make this happen!

We can start Toonces gif mania across all of GAF for all the conferences!

edit: Example: Sony conference bombs? Same scenario but with the Toonces footage zooming out to show a somber looking Kaz. Haha

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So you don't think Nintendo cares about security, and are willing to let anyone who can burn new firmware totally break their system with no trouble at all, just to make the lives of developers a tiny bit easier? You think after the Sony master keys leaked they'd purposely leave that same vulnerability in the system, so then it could be eventually hacked, just for this one E3?
I'm not sure I follow you here. I suspect you're being facetious about something, but I can't quite tell. ..Unless in all seriousness you just shot down a fundamental principle of contemporary cryptography, just because some vendor screwed up with their particular implementation of random functions. But given how you neglected half of what I wrote (a temporary, just-for-E3 key), I still think you're just being facetious.

And a "QA unit with extra ram for debugging" is a dev kit, and won't look like a final unit.
Huh? A QA unit looks almost exactly like a retail unit. It's been like this for some time now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't think they can win that battle. Either every 3rd party likes to work with you, or you come off as an outcast, that's just how it works. The former is not gonna happen.

I agree. Tha main problem is that you should work in order to increase the quality of third party way of working with you, if you want to change something.
And the Unjustice and NBA13 announcments clearly state, in my opinion, that we shouldn't wait for any LoS2/Tomb raider/MGSRising/RE6 announcments for wii u...

antonz

At some point Nintendo has to buy better relations with some developers. Lucasarts was handed a goldmine of potential in the Wii Mote yet at the end of the day it was Microsoft who wined and dined Lucasarts and got the benefit from it all.

Nintendo is like the guy who is nice and kind and gives lots of gifts to a chick only to have some guy roll up on his motorcycle with some booze and steal the chick away.

daakusedo

Seeing the announcements and trailers released today, I know better than ever why I'm anticipating so much that nintendo conf. Everything was so boring I was close to get angry.
The palme d'or goes to metal gear that comes with somewhat rich gameplay but a tragically uninteresting setting, that's becoming a trend at platinum games. At least the main character with his moves and the following special effects give some style to the overall picture.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
At some point Nintendo has to buy better relations with some developers. Lucasarts was handed a goldmine of potential in the Wii Mote yet at the end of the day it was Microsoft who wined and dined Lucasarts and got the benefit from it all.

Nintendo is like the guy who is nice and kind and gives lots of gifts to a chick only to have some guy roll up on his motorcycle with some booze and steal the chick away.

Hey man, how dare you talk ill of my booze and motorcycle ={ you also forgot about my beautiful flowing hair. Chicks dig the hair.

You know what the best thing is about Nintendo's conference? That they will surely announce a handful of brand new games that will actually come out this year. This week we have seen new trailers for a heap of games announced LAST e3 that aren't coming out until NEXT YEAR. Microsoft and Sony are both going to focus a lot of time on games they announced months or years ago, and some of those won't even make it out this holiday period. While not every Wii U game will be a launch game, most will at least be 'launch-window' and we will only have a few months to wait from unveil to holding in our hands. That's pretty cool.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Prediction: LoS2 will be announced for the Wii U at the Nintendo conference after Mirror of Fate is shown off at said conference. They will interact in some way.
Yep.

If they're working on a separate 3DS game, surely they're porting LoS2 to Wii U.
I suspect LoS 2 is the Wii U game lherre is working on.

True! I really like that about Nintendo. They usually announce games very close to their release dates! Not always though but usually

You know what the best thing is about Nintendo's conference? That they will surely announce a handful of brand new games that will actually come out this year. This week we have seen new trailers for a heap of games announced LAST e3 that aren't coming out until NEXT YEAR. Microsoft and Sony are both going to focus a lot of time on games they announced months or years ago, and some of those won't even make it out this holiday period. While not every Wii U game will be a launch game, most will at least be 'launch-window' and we will only have a few months to wait from unveil to holding in our hands. That's pretty cool.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't know about all this "connectivity" stuff. Nintendo tried that before which lead to pathetic results. What's different this time to make it matter? Wireless?

So, no Castlevania Los2, no MGS Rising and even no PES13 for Wii U from the Konami conference?
Or they did not announce any platform for the new games and maybe are hiding the reveal of MGS for Nintendo stage?

Of course if any of those was to be revealed for WiiU(or also other unannounced platforms forr that matter)at E3, it would still be strictly under NDA.

Honestly I am not expecting any of the aforementioned coming on WiiU, yet I reckon we should have to wait a few days for confirmation.

they should work with unexpected software houses.
Such as Konami, or Bethesda (just pick up two random names among the japanes and western developers that did not support previous Nintendo home consoles).

How about Crytek, THQ(incidentally Metro has been just delayed apparently) and Tekmo?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't know about all this "connectivity" stuff. Nintendo tried that before which lead to pathetic results. What's different this time to make it matter? Wireless?

It comes with the system rather than requiring a cable and handheld both sold separately. It is also the default control scheme.

japtor

Well wireless makes a difference since if you have the two systems you have enough to connect rather than needing some random cable on top of that.

But the bigger issue with the GC-GBA games is that it was mandatory vs just being an extra bonus feature. You already have four GC controllers? Too bad, everyone needs a GBA and cable to play! Hell the only time I ever got multiplayer going with Four Swords was cause I had two GBAs (of course the player with the original had a hard time playing cause the lack of light).

Which reminds me, I want a Pac-Man Vs. Championship Edition. Or Battle Royale port I guess, but Vs. would fit in with the screen in the controller.

Wait, you doubt that Vita will be receiving ports just like the PSP did? So no NBA 2K for Vita? No God of War for Vita? No more Uncharted for Vita? No Assassins Creed for Vita?
Were any of those PSP games actually ports? I thought they were just portable entries in the same series.
shadyspace said:
Dude what. Satellite internet? Isn't that shit as slow as dial-up?
It's much faster, but has high latency and it's easy to hit the daily/monthly bandwidth limits so a lot of video streaming is out.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Of course if any of those was to be revealed at E3, it would still be strictly under NDA.

Honestly I am not expecting any of the aforementioned, yet we should have to wait a few days for confirmation.

But LoS2 was announced today at Konami E3 conference. It's not a game announced for PS360 during the middle of the past year...I mean, all that secrecy still holding on? And why NBA and Unjustice were announced also for Wii U?
In fact, neither you are expecting those games...but honestly speaking: with the delay of Rising to 13 and with the announcment of LoSMirror of fate for 3ds, if those two games will not be also on Wii U, it's obviouse that nothing has changed in terms of third party support, at least from Konami.

And if neither PES will be on Wii U I reallt start to thing the worst case scenario ever, for that console...

How about Crytek, THQ(incidentally Metro has been just delayed apparently) and Tekmo?

Well, Tecmo should not be compared to some other softco that did nothing for Nintendo, I think. THQ and Crytek could be seen as examples for unexpected companies working seriously on a Nintendo home console, together with the aformentioned ones. But, in fact, we got very bad signals from THQ, due to Metro cancellation on wii u (it's not a delay, unfortunately)

But LoS2 was announced today at Konami E3 conference. It's not a game announced for PS360 during the middle of the past year...I mean, all that secrecy still holding on? And why NBA and Unjustice were announced also for Wii U?
In fact, neither you are expecting those games...but honestly speaking: with the delay of Rising to 13 and with the announcment of LoSMirror of fate for 3ds, if those two games will not be also on Wii U, it's obviouse that nothing has changed in terms of third party support, at least from Konami.

And if neither PES will be on Wii U I reallt start to thing the worst case scenario ever, for that console...

Well, Tecmo should not be compared to some other softco that did nothing for Nintendo, I think. THQ and Crytek could be seen as examples for unexpected companies working seriously on a Nintendo home console, together with the aformentioned ones. But, in fact, we got very bad signals from THQ, due to Metro cancellation on wii u (it's not a delay, unfortunately)

There is no point in jumping to conclusions at this juncture, at least wait for nintendo's showing next week.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
guys, i think i'll be stuck with a slow PC for the E3 days, do you know, of all the websites where we'll be able to see the conferences, if one has an 240p option like youtube to have a good framerate ?

japtor

There is no point in jumping to conclusions at this juncture, at least wait for nintendo's showing next week.
Have any Japanese companies announced anything at all?
guys, i think i'll be stuck with a slow PC for the E3 days, do you know, of all the websites where we'll be able to see the conferences, if one has an 240p option like youtube to have a good framerate ?
All this teasing about secrets and it ends up that you might miss the actual announcement?

(no clue about any streaming sites/feeds)
Any updates on the DBZ powerlevel of this thing?
Well over 9000, the power meter broke before we could get a good reading on it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In fact, neither you are expecting those games...but honestly speaking: with the delay of Rising to 13

On the subject of this, pretty much everything has been delayed until 2013. Everyone is shit scared of Black Ops 2 and Halo 4.

Have any Japanese companies announced anything at all?

All this teasing about secrets and it ends up that you might miss the actual announcement?

(no clue about any streaming sites/feeds)

Well over 9000, the power meter broke before we could get a good reading on it.

Not yet, still early days though, also I think nintendo is having another showing the week (not completely sure about the timing)after E3 and that one will be Japan centric.

watershed

Banned
Maybe its because I'm catching up on old news but I've seen so many wii u rumors today! So close to E3 I refuse to believe any of them because if I do I will just have unreasonable expectations for June 5th.

On a not so related note is the 3ds 3d stylus tracking patent thing being discussed anywhere on gaf? It looks awesome.

antonz

Not yet, still early days though, also I think nintendo is having another showing the week (not completely sure about the timing)after E3 and that one will be Japan centric.

The show after E3 is them bringing E3 to Japan so it can be seen locally. I wouldn't expect anything special. Rumor is NOE has an event too after that will basically be E3 for europe press

Well, imo neither NBA nor Unjustice are "big" announcements, so Nintendo would not bother that much if someone should spoil the surprise, on the other hand Metal gear is something that should be announced by Iwata or Reggie, so they could not just put WiiU's logo at the end of the trailer.

Well, the sea is full of fish!
If some games are not coming on WiiU, others will, so I'm not too concerned.

As for Metro, I wouldn't regard it as a sign of THQ paying no attention to WiiU; you should remember just last year they said they were working on 4 or 5 games for WiiU: Darksiders 2, Metro, and other unannounced stuff(Devil's third perhaps? Saints Row?).

So if THQ is stepping back from its original plans, it's most assuredly due to its financial bad shape, nothing else for all we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom