• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - Impressions

Terra_Ex

If you decide to rescue Triss, then, during the epilogue, you come across a group of Kaedwenian soldiers pulling a heavily wounded Iorveth on a cart. If you fight them, one of them drops Philippa's dagger and Triss saves Iorveth by teleporting him back to Vergen.

Geralt also mentions to Triss (if you spare the dragon) that perhaps there'll be another opportunity to lift Philippa's spell. I hope that the developers will include something that ties in with this in the sequel. I wouldn't bet on it though :-/

In the epilogue, to this day I'm not sure if it's a bug or intentional. A random mob just had it on him.

Yeah, that does seem awfully convenient. I remember the bit with Iorveth on a cart from my original non-EE playthrough but I must have just missed the dagger completely, or maybe I killed the dragon assuming she could no longer be saved... Will check it out on my next playthrough, thanks for the info.

I haven't played a Witcher game but have played and enjoyed the last three Elder Scrolls games. Comparisons between the two series (or at least the last version of each) are they similar or much different, better or worse, etc?

RedSwirl

On the conversation about the monsters, I have a feeling we're going to see more stuff based on fairy tales like in the books. The monster hunt from the really early previews (and the initial gameplay trailer) looks like an alternative take on Rudolf.

I haven't played a Witcher game but have played and enjoyed the last three Elder Scrolls games. Comparisons between the two series (or at least the last version of each) are they similar or much different, better or worse, etc?
Other then being open world they're nothing alike at all. Skyrim's focus is exploration. Witcher's focus is story. Makes a big difference in how they play. Skyrim has a created character. Witcher has a predefined character. Skyrim has first person combat. Witcher is 3rd person combat. I like both for their own reasons (Witcher more so for the story focus), but they're not really comparable no matter how many people try to compare them.

Other then being open world they're nothing alike at all. Skyrim's focus is exploration. Witcher's focus is story. Makes a big difference in how they play. Skyrim has a created character. Witcher has a predefined character. Skyrim has first person combat. Witcher is 3rd person combat. I like both for their own reasons (Witcher more so for the story focus), but they're not really comparable no matter how many people try to compare them.
Cool, thanks for breaking it down like that. While I did like the exploration nature and character building in Skyrim. I also really like story based games. Totally different of course but my GOAT is Last of Us following closely by a couple of Uncharteds.

This is on my radar now.

On the conversation about the monsters, I have a feeling we're going to see more stuff based on fairy tales like in the books. The monster hunt from the really early previews (and the initial gameplay trailer) looks like an alternative take on Rudolf.

The reindeer is heavily inspired by a monster described in the Bestiariusz Słowiański (basically a bestiary of monsters from Slavic mythology) written by Paweł Zych and Witold Vargas. CDProjekt have an agreement with the authors regarding the use of their material. Here is an excerpt from the book.

bies_by_hetman80-d4t3zuj.jpg

Never played a Witcher game, but I am interested in 3. What OTHER game(s) does the combat in Witcher most resemble?
Witcher 2 was this weird mix of the devs love for Batman and Dark Souls. So it feels kinda like Batman in the directional inputs to target, and the item/spell use. But if you play it like Batman you get punished for putting yourself in the middle of a group cause anyone can be lethal if you let them hit you. Bad guys don't wait their turn to attack. So you had to dive in, attack a few times, and dive out to find your next opening. It wasn't the best mix, but they refined it to be much more responsive in Witcher 3. Hopefully the hands on previews can give us a better idea of how it turned out, cause so far all we had were the E3 demonstrations that had some lobotomized AI opponents.

One the dev mentioned to me one new monster or creature is called a Botchling or Batching.. Basically Botchlings are creatures that came from a miscarriage.. LOL So when a woman has a misscarriage and abandons the baby, it will turn into a Botchling! Was that in the books??

Also about the world being huge, the devs stressed to me their goal was to make the world full of things to do and find. They also stressed that quests are not your typical RPG fetch this and that type of quests.

One the dev mentioned to me one new monster or creature is called a Botchling or Batching.. Basically Botchlings are creatures that came from a miscarriage.. LOL So when a woman has a misscarriage and abandons the baby, it will turn into a Botchling! Was that in the books??
I heard it mentioned once in an article or something too. It's not from the books but it is from Slavic folklore.

Better than the officials, from what Ive heard.

If anyone is fluent in spanish, that commercial version is the best after the original polish one, and its also complete. Highly recommended.

Brazilian Portuguese translations are also very, very good. The first 4 books (including The Sword of Destiny) were translated directly from polish by Tomasz Barcinski. He also translated several other polish books (like The Pianist and The Trilogy) and even received a medal from the polish government for spreading polish culture in Brazil. Unfortunately Tomasz passed away last year.

I was thinking about replaying the witcher 2, and I was wondering if that combat mod that came out not too long ago was recommended?

I beat the witcher 2 on the Iorveth path before the big official patch that rebalanced the game and added the beginning tutorial area came out.
I didn't have a problem with the combat back then, so I don't mind playing it "vanilla."

I can't wait till tomorrow comes.. You guys will see what i'm talking about and why I'm so excited. Though watching online and actually playing is of course so much better.

dlauv

I was thinking about replaying the witcher 2, and I was wondering if that combat mod that came out not too long ago was recommended?

I beat the witcher 2 on the Iorveth path before the big official patch that rebalanced the game and added the beginning tutorial area came out.
I didn't have a problem with the combat back then, so I don't mind playing it "vanilla."

It's janky, but fun. Ups responsiveness. Enemies block a lot so you need to spam powers more, but the tweaks to powers like aard and igni are pretty great. Aard in particular is like a shotgun. You can also nearly max Geralt's skill trees by the end of the game. Armors are given samey stats and the focus is more on armor weight. It completely changes the game. Worth checking out, but I can't say it's better yet, as far as I've gotten. Enemies blocking your sword all of the time takes some fun out of swordplay.

i wonder if they are gonna do the mass effect 2 approach for the decisions you made in 2? If so, I wouldn't mind. would be nice with some flare.

gioGAF

Maybe they will release the Witcher 1+2 digitally (or better yet, include them on the W3 disc) for PS4/XB1. I know, wishful thinking, but one can dream ;-)

I'm still a bit lost in the Witcher's timeline.
According to the official website, the Witcher 1 took place in year 1270, while the second game took place in 1271. How come Geralt has become that old in the Witcher 3?

According to the official website, the Witcher 1 took place in year 1270, while the second game took place in 1271. How come Geralt has become that old in the Witcher 3?
He just grew a beard. He didn't get any older. His hair is already white, adding a white beard isn't gonna make him any younger.

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure Geralt is like a 100, I think the beared just makes him look older.

He just grew a beard. He didn't get any older. His hair is already white, adding a white beard isn't gonna make him any younger.

I'm pretty sure Geralt is like a 100, I think the beared just makes him look older.

Yes, I'm aware of that.
But Geralt in the Witcher 1 and 2 doesn't look that old.
It's pretty obvious in the Witcher 1, looks like a 40-year-old dude, even younger.

Piotrek

A bunch of Polish gaming outlets were invited for a closed hands-on presentation of the game and their impressions are just in.

Here's one article that actually does mention some flaws among a sea of compliments in other previews.

http://gamezilla.komputerswiat.pl/zapowiedzi/2015/1/dziki-gon-w-tarapatach-gralismy-w-wiedzmina-3

Title: Wild Hunt in trouble. We've played the Witcher 3.

My summary of every paragraph:

Graphics:

The game isn't pretty. In fact, it's a lot worse than the trailers and on-stage presentations. No v-sync at all as the screen tears almost constantly (the previewer ironically calls it "a feature"). Dynamic time of day is great, but the dawning sun is just an orange texture, nothing more. World textures (buildings, grass) are really pixelated when you get closer, and the pre-rendered cut scenes are visibly compressed.
That was coming from "high" settings on Intel Core i7-4790, GeForce GTX 980, 4GB GDDR5 and 8GB DDR3 RAM. The console version supposedly looks "slightly" worse, but at least versions for both platforms are indistinguishable from each other.
From what he's saying - Dragon Age: Inquisition looks a lot better and does it without struggling too much. Tree and grass foliage is bland and flat.

Bugs:
The game was delayed for a reason. TW3 in its current state simply could not be released. The previewer says, that it's not a complete failure, rather a sum of small tragedies that translate into one, bigger nightmare.
Bugs are constant and ever-present. From disappearing objects, sleeping NPCs hanging in mid-air over their beds to graphical artifacts that required restarting the build. He spent three hours with the game and encountered lesser and more severe bugs almost every moment.

Upsides:
Judging from the presented fragment, the world indeed could be huge. Every NPC has their own voice and is busy with their own chores. You see wild animals in the forests and meadows. In general it's really impressive and very convincing. The presented quest engaged Geralt in some detective work. It required completing a few smaller phases, gathering information and leads that allow you to get the big picture and complete the main quest. The previewer got the chance to hunt a griffon along with Vesemir, a fellow Witcher and later on - search for a bunch of criminals guilty of murder during a feast in the Kaer Trolde castle in Skellige.
The devs say that the player can abandon the main quest and freely go doing what Witchers do best - hunting monsters. Apparently there is also some solution to the problem of Geralt getting too powerful, but they aren't yet mentioning any details.
Also, in terms of minor activities - the card game looks really fun and complex. The author calls it "one of the most fun features he's seen in Wild Hunt".

The combat system and using signs received a significant revamp. Supposedly signs are more difficult to use and more "narrow" in their application. The combat is more dynamic, and requires rolling in critical moments. He compares it to a "less frustrating and masochistic Souls game".
The inventory screen also received a redesign. It ain't pretty, but definitely is less chaotic and easier to navigate using a console controller.

Character development also has changed. Instead of traditional skill trees we are presented with icons icons divided into square sets responsible for particular skills. Each one costs a set amount of skill points. Some are passive and some active. Purchased skills have to be set in appropriate skill slots, which limits the amount of skills we can use in a particular moment.

Geralt also received a crossbow during the griffon fight. Supposedly it worked even better than the regular sword. It's noted that some balancing would be good, as it was a lot easier to just shoot down the monster with bolts, than fight in close combat.

Jumping and climbing animations look like they were animated without motion capture. While jumping Geralt drifts in the air, then suddenly loses his momentum and gains weight. It's difficult to describe, but apparently looks really awkward. Also, climbing animation tends to get glitchy.

My comment:
To sum up - the world, quests and the combat system looks impressive, but on the technical side - it's a buggy mess. There's no word on how old the build it is, but I don't think CDPR would want to show something outdated in such a big preview event.

As to the website itself - it's a quite respectable independent site and one of the few I read from time to time. Their opinions can certainly be trusted.

Also, from what I've read on some other websites - the combat systems seems to gather quite divisive opinions. Some praise it, others - not really. There are mentions that lock-on and attacks don't really "click" and attack timings feel counter intuitive.

That seems probable, as IMO the X360 version of Witcher 2 had an abysmally bad combat system. It looked like a collision detection hybrid of Souls (rolling) and Arkham games (timings, attacks, overall feel) but in truth worked like it does in pretty every MMO ever. I mean, hits connecting when the slash animation clearly doesn't (or worse even - when you rolled away three metres from an enemy) just screams bad design.
It definitely is one of my biggest worries about Wild Hunt. If they won't fuck up the combat, the rest I can manage.

Bugs:
The game was delayed for a reason. TW3 in its current state simply could not be released. The previewer says, that it's not a complete failure, rather a sum of small tragedies that translate into one, bigger nightmare.
Bugs are constant and ever-present. From disappearing objects, sleeping NPCs hanging in mid-air over their beds to graphical artifacts that required restarting the build. He spent three hours with the game and encountered lesser and more severe bugs almost every moment.

The bugs are a bit concerning. I really hope there are no major bugs in the quest and choices structure.

Well they still have like 2.5 months worth of time to squash out bugs right? (since the physical console versions need like a month or two for printing?)

DieH@rd

Banned
Well they still have like 2.5 months worth of time to squash out bugs right? (since the physical console versions need like a month or two for printing?)

They need to send gold master month before game is out, but they can continue working on patches immediately after it.

Solal

Sorry if already answered but I need to know if you can lock enemys inb The Witcher3.. I hate it when you can't choose who you are facing.

Tx in advance.

Biker19

Banned
Just today I saw people on other forum refer to gaf as SonyGAF :)
And yeah, it kinda fits

LOL, I hope you're kidding. Just look at this thread alone as an example:

Link.

Nothing but full-blown annoying Xbox fanboys constantly downplaying what Sony did right & thinks they should do what Microsoft did. Ugh.

Top Bottom