• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - Impressions

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Imru’ al-Qays;148439876 said:
You say the combat system is better than Witcher 2 but that's nothing special. How does it compare to Souls?

Probably the same way it compares to Golden Axe's, which is to say they're going for such different things that comparisons are pretty pointless.

HowZatOZ

Banned
We got a chance to play it as well, boss walked away pretty happy with his experience. I don't know if I'm more hype about the game or the gryphon collectors edition though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Probably the same way it compares to Golden Axe's, which is to say they're going for such different things that comparisons are pretty pointless.
Beat me to it. Witcher combat is nothing like souls combat.

Unison

I would assume it's one of the 4 press events going on that are embargo'd until Monday. There will be tons of hands on previews, interviews, and some screenshots and maybe footage being released then.

If someone's press, they should probably state as much before giving impressions... I know that if a blogger gets a free product, they have to state as much in their blog post, so readers can help judge the degree to which a source can be trusted. I think the same thing should apply here... ethically, at least.

Why was he selected for this event? Does he work for an involved company, a publication, a fan site or what? It seems relevant to me.

If he's just some random guy, that's good to know too.

200 hours is the average play test time? i don't know who's crazier, the OP or CDPR but 200 hours on average. At least I hope they don't make the same mistakes Inquistion did.

Well they did get Tywin Lannister to voice the Emperor...

Seriously? So we might get to do this?

giphy.gif

Im currently playing through The Witcher 2 and I cant wait. Now I just need to figure out how to play it. I loved how it carried over the special weapons and armor from 1

alife

The Witcher has been rocking that vibe since well before the TV series was an olive in an HBO suit's martini.

That said, the OP contains nothing of value.

The graphics are awesome!
The combat is smooth!
The tutorial is great (but how could we doubt CD Projeck RED SO BASED!
The horse drives itself to quest markers!
GOAT OF THE GOTY!

Have you ever considered that maybe Microsoft and/or CD Projekt Red requested previewers such as the OP not to reveal extensive detail until they are ready to publicize it?

"The graphics are awesome!" - He went into a little more detail describing the landscapes and vistas, and how massive the world is including how detailed it can be with the draw distances.

"The tutorial is great" - He explained that it tied in well with the initial momentum in the story's progression.

"The horse drives itself to quest markers!" - He explained the reason for being excited about this feature is so that he can enjoy the scenery without having to focus on steering the whole way. And you do realize that areas that are only a few inches apart on the map can take more than 15 minutes to horseback to, yeah? Refer to the E3 30 minute demo from last year and the commentator points out the vastness of the world map. Whether you're auto piloting to a quest marker or booking it on horse on your own, you'll still be spending a lot of time exploring the world.

Glad to hear that you, the OP, enjoyed the game thus far in the limited time you had with it. I'll of course wait for extensive reviews but this thread enables me to consider playing TW3.

Philippo

Thanks man! Sounds amazing!

The 26th is the embargo for press impressions right? Can't wait for new, more detailed infos and media.

edit: beaten

thuGG_pl

I'm pissed by so many in this thread.

"The OP is overly positive, surely this must be PR!!!"
If OP would be more down to earth it would be: "OMG the game is shit!!".

Also, "what was the hardware??" all the time, when it was said it's XONE. Jesus.

Mikeside

I'm really excited for Witcher 3, but I can't help noticing how many juniors are all up in here keeping the thread positive.

Hmmmmmmmm

misho8723

Banned
I'm really looking to 26th of January.. when the embargo lifts, and we will get previews all over the web
And we are going to see new screens and maybe new videos as well

I'm really excited for Witcher 3, but I can't help noticing how many juniors are all up in here keeping the thread positive.

Hmmmmmmmm

Idk man it's not like the series has been objectively shitty and OP is just hyping the shit out of it. It's clear that CDPR does good work and it is not far off to think that their new game would be any different. Especially, when it very well could be their biggest release and dude got his actual hands on it

alife

Hmmmmmmmm

Regardless of my member status, I have class and can at least formulate my words/opinions in a dignified and articulate manner.

I never played any of The Witcher games but have kept my eye on this upcoming title in the series for a little while now. I'm glad that someone was cool enough to share his thoughts on the game he previewed within the limited time frame that was given to him. Obviously he has not played the final product from start to finish so a completely objective and extensive review is out of the question, but at least gave some detail in his seemingly subjective report. Refer to my previous post for clarification. But from this thread, I'll at least consider playing TW3, instead of bashing the OP and automatically assuming he works for CD Projekt Red's PR department.

RulkezX

If like to know how much the combat had improved from W2.

The combat was a janky mess in 2011, they're going to have to step it up considerably to be passable in mid 2015.

Mikeside

Idk man it's not like the series has been objectively shitty and OP is just hyping the shit out of it. It's clear that CDPR does good work and it is not far off to think that their new game would be any different. Especially, when it very well could be their biggest release and dude got his actual hands on it

I agree that the games so far have been awesome & I've got a pre-order for the CE of the new one. I'm excited, I'm hyped, I want it.

But there are a few comments in this thread (including the OP) that feel like PR. Could just be me being paranoid, but there it is.

Virdix

Hmmmmmmmm
I r robot dedicated to Witcher PR,I'm not a huge fan who owns all the English translated novels and has double dipped on The Witcher 2. I created this account in anticipation of the "downgrade" worries to maintain maximum hype and to alleviate any suspicions. Ya got me, you caught the tater.

Teeth

Have you ever considered that maybe Microsoft and/or CD Projekt Red requested previewers such as the OP not to reveal extensive detail until they are ready to publicize it?

"The graphics are awesome!" - He went into a little more detail describing the landscapes and vistas, and how massive the world is including how detailed it can be with the draw distances.

"The tutorial is great" - He explained that it tied in well with the initial momentum in the story's progression.

"The horse drives itself to quest markers!" - He explained the reason for being excited about this feature is so that he can enjoy the scenery without having to focus on steering the whole way. And you do realize that areas that are only a few inches apart on the map can take more than 15 minutes to horseback to, yeah? Refer to the E3 30 minute demo from last year and the commentator points out the vastness of the world map. Whether you're auto piloting to a quest marker or booking it on horse on your own, you'll still be spending a lot of time exploring the world.

Glad to hear that you, the OP, enjoyed the game thus far in the limited time you had with it. I'll of course wait for extensive reviews but this thread enables me to consider playing TW3.

I don't need extensive detail, I need anything of value.

Saying the graphics are beautiful means nothing; there are people on the forum that will say anything that doesn't run at 1080p is hideous, there are people that state that any sort of pop in completely takes them out of the experience, we have people that think that wolf fur can completely make or break level of next-gen-ness a title will have. Beautiful means nothing. We've seen bullshots, upgraded, downgraded, everything-in-between-graded shots so people can tell for themselves whether the art design is to their tastes. There is absolutely nothing of value in the phrase "the landscapes are like a digital painting." It doesn't tell you about anything about anything. It's as worthless as saying a game looks "good".

We know that the game looks good. We've been staring at it for years.

Integrating a tutorial into the story is as interesting as when it was done in Final Fantasy 7. Does it happen in an interesting way? Is it overlong? Does it directly tie into the story? Does it progress the character of Geralt in any way? Do either of these things even matter and would it have been better left to a menu option heavily suggested on the start menu? Does Geralt have have any new core abilities? Can he jump? Sneak? Hotkey magic? Has the magic system changed? Does there appear to be any advancement in the skill tree system? How has the core control changed? How has the movement changed? Does he still auto-pull out his sword for combat? Is there a bunch of hit stun? Does the combat animation trend more towards Dark Souls-one hit or is it still like Arkham Asylum's-half-wit brother? Does Geralt spin and pirouette like a ballerina? Is the block and counter system still locked in like a QTE? Are there QTEs?

Y'know, anything of value.

As for the horse thing and massive expansive world...how was the quest structure built? Do you go to different townspeople with VIDEOGAMES above their head or do you swarm around town eavesdropping on every conversation? Do you get to play walking simulator for 15 minutes with REALLY GREAT "popcorn fights" along the way or is the locality of quests dense? Did it seem like there were collectathon or kill-7-goblin quests? Did the massive world appear to have any density or reason to exist outside of just creating space? How was the mapping system? Does a map even exist? Are key things placed on it? Are there quest markers? Was there anything on quest markers that actually delineated between things that were above or below ground? Does the map actually resemble the geometry you traverse (unlike Witcher 2)?

Are the towns and forests well constructed? Did you experience any dungeons? Were they linear? How is the enemy variety? Do they have individual styles of play or are they all just hack and Quen?

Basically, can you tell us anything that I wouldn't be able to garner more from watching a CG trailer?

Hmmmmmmmm

lol

Witcher 3 is probably one of the most anticipated games of the year. of course people are gonna be extra giddy when talking about it. If there's any game here that looks like it's being shilled to shit, it's driveclub, not witcher 3.

jesu

Hmmmmmmmm

Maybe they haven't been here long enough to let the cynicism soak in yet.

Thanks for the impressions OP, I'm looking forward to the press impressions when the embargo is up too.

Yes that is exactly what we are suggesting?

But I guess it is all about how you look at it...

but this thread enables me to consider playing TW3.

But from this thread, I'll at least consider playing TW3

I'm not saying just from this thread, I am completely positive that I will buy this game.

Was it the "The combat is smoother than ever and much more intuitive and fun without making it easy." bit? I bet it was that bit.

Denton

It starts like this..

first you get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQEJwz5xy5w then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcogCjLymeI. You start before Witcher one in the bath tub where you have you eyes closed. Then a little crab like creature enters the tub between your legs and into the water. You wake up and say something like "very funny.. there's better ways to get my attention" and toss the crab creature and vaporize it with his igni sign. Camera pans to Yennefer who is sitting at her vanity table naked. Conversation about training and well being of Ciri happens. You start the tutorial by using your witcher senses to find the key to Ciri's room where you go down and find Vesemir asleep and young Ciri practicing blindfolded on top of tall wooden stumps. The animation of her jumping and acrobatics is amazing btw. Then you race Ciri down where the rest of the witcher are to get go through the jumping and ladder mechanics. After some dialog, you have an option to go through the combat tutorial with Vesemir. Meantime, Ciri is practicing on a dummy where she knocks the dummy's helmet to the other side of the wall. Gerald makes her go get it where she goes missing. Gerald tries to call to her to hurry back when shit goes down and the Wild Hunt appears. Gerald see's Ciri frozen where the Wild Hunt holds her and takes her. Gerald suddenly wakes up from a dream at a camp fire with Vesemir now at current time setting. You start by tracking Yennefer's track and start the game.
Amazeballs thank you

alife

I don't need extensive detail, I need anything of value.

Saying the graphics are beautiful means nothing; there are people on the forum that will say anything that doesn't run at 1080p is hideous, there are people that state that any sort of pop in completely takes them out of the experience, we have people that think that wolf fur can completely make or break level of next-gen-ness a title will have. Beautiful means nothing. We've seen bullshots, upgraded, downgraded, everything-in-between-graded shots so people can tell for themselves whether the art design is to their tastes. There is absolutely nothing of value in the phrase "the landscapes are like a digital painting." It doesn't tell you about anything about anything. It's as worthless as saying a game looks "good".

We know that the game looks good. We've been staring at it for years.

Integrating a tutorial into the story is as interesting as when it was done in Final Fantasy 7. Does it happen in an interesting way? Is it overlong? Does it directly tie into the story? Does it progress the character of Geralt in any way? Do either of these things even matter and would it have been better left to a menu option heavily suggested on the start menu? Does Geralt have have any new core abilities? Can he jump? Sneak? Hotkey magic? Has the magic system changed? Does there appear to be any advancement in the skill tree system? How has the core control changed? How has the movement changed? Does he still auto-pull out his sword for combat? Is there a bunch of hit stun? Does the combat animation trend more towards Dark Souls-one hit or is it still like Arkham Asylum's-half-wit brother? Does Geralt spin and pirouette like a ballerina? Is the block and counter system still locked in like a QTE? Are there QTEs?

Y'know, anything of value.

As for the horse thing and massive expansive world...how was the quest structure built? Do you go to different townspeople with VIDEOGAMES above their head or do you swarm around town eavesdropping on every conversation? Do you get to play walking simulator for 15 minutes with REALLY GREAT "popcorn fights" along the way or is the locality of quests dense? Did it seem like there were collectathon or kill-7-goblin quests? Did the massive world appear to have any density or reason to exist outside of just creating space? How was the mapping system? Does a map even exist? Are key things placed on it? Are there quest markers? Was there anything on quest markers that actually delineated between things that were above or below ground? Does the map actually resemble the geometry you traverse (unlike Witcher 2)?

Are the towns and forests well constructed? Did you experience any dungeons? Were they linear? How is the enemy variety? Do they have individual styles of play or are they all just hack and Quen?

Basically, can you tell us anything that I wouldn't be able to garner more from watching a CG trailer?

What if Microsoft/CD Projekt Red will want to present those details to the public themselves? In the meantime, below is a link to the 35 minute game play video. Don't know how else to help you. Shame if you can't correlate the initial impression from the OP with the video I provided. If you want more, :shrug:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8kQ4s5hCY

alife

Yes that is exactly what we are suggesting?

But I guess it is all about how you look at it...

Was it the "The combat is smoother than ever and much more intuitive and fun without making it easy." bit? I bet it was that bit.

The OP is a fan of the series. I have never played any of the games. I'm a Splinter Cell series fan (Not fan boy. I found Double Agent to be abysmal. Conviction was alright aside from the fact the game is rendered predominantly in monochrome.) If a new title was upcoming and I gave you an impression of it, giving you what detail I can, can't you at least take something from that? There is also a 35 minute demo that I just posted above with commentary included.

I never decided to buy this game on day one. As aforementioned, I will also read/watch extensive reviews when the game launches. But what I can take from this thread is that someone that is familiar with the series feels as though the newest installment may not disappoint. If you were a fan of a series in particular and said the next upcoming title may be shit even if you are unable to, due to whatever reason, give more details, I'd at least have an opinion.

Edit: "The combat is smoother than ever and much more intuitive and fun without making it easy." - I've seen the game play. I can deduce what he means by this. But I won't know myself regardless of how many reviews I have read/watched until I play/test it myself and weigh all the pros and cons.

I urge you all to go read the books, the relationship between Geralt and Ciri seems to be emphasized in this game. The books will help you appreciate it even more.

Teeth

What if Microsoft/CD Projekt Red will want to present those details to the public themselves? In the meantime, below is a link to the 35 minute game play video. Don't know how else to help you. Shame if you can't correlate the initial impression from the OP with the video I provided. If you want more, :shrug:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8kQ4s5hCY

You don't need to help me. Everyone has seen that. Hands on impressions can answer questions no video ever could.

I'm not asking for help.
I'm not frothing at the mouth for details about THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITYgame that CD Project RED is bestowing upon us.

I'm looking at what the OP posted, the access he has apparently been given and wondering...why would he post this? If he was a previewer working for a site, why would he come to GAF and semi-anonymously try to sell me on this game? If he's just a fan, why wouldn't he wait until he could saying something substantive about the actual experience? Why do I feel like I'm being sold the GOATY GOTY GOTF when reading his OP?

alife

You don't need to help me. Everyone has seen that. Hands on impressions can answer questions no video ever could.

I'm not asking for help.
I'm not frothing at the mouth for details about THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITYgame that CD Project RED is bestowing upon us.

I'm looking at what the OP posted, the access he has apparently been given and wondering...why would he post this? If he was a previewer working for a site, why would he come to GAF and semi-anonymously try to sell me on this game? If he's just a fan, why wouldn't he wait until he could saying something substantive about the actual experience? Why do I feel like I'm being sold the GOATY GOTY GOTF when reading his OP?

Because he's really excited about it and felt as though he wanted to share his thoughts on it. Whether or not you value his opinion, it's still his. Take it or leave it. Or just wait for more details. I'm not saying just from this thread, I am completely positive that I will buy this game. But the information given and what's available in media suffices for me in the meantime until more material is given. I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted from this thread. PM the OP and be like yo, can you give me an outline? lol

Seanspeed

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;148439876 said:
You say the combat system is better than Witcher 2 but that's nothing special. How does it compare to Souls?
Combat is not going to be as good as a Souls game. Nor does it need to be. Its a different type of game.

If the combat is improved from before, that's a good thing.

thuGG_pl

I'm not asking for help.

Next time create your instruction on how to write proper impressions. Then try to include it in GAF rules. Then try to ban poeple not obeying the "impressions rules".

Koriandrr

200 HOURS?!?!?

Wut.
I mean.... it's good and all, but since when do western RPGs go for 100+ hours gameplay. I thought DAI was literally pushing the limits of how long people would spend on a single player game.

ViciousDS

Banned
was it really Xbox One? Every game I ever try at game shows with an xbox one controller I smack the dash button immediately to make sure I'm not being played.....same goes for the PS4 games. I'm never being fooled after that shit 2 years ago at E3 2013......all those PC's hidden inside boxes.

OT: HOLY SHIT I WANT IT NOW!

It's hard to say I think. OP says a lot of things but I wonder if any game can live up to the hype of the Witcher 3. To play a game for three hours and then already call it GOTY... In January. This game must be something really special.

I really, really liked the Witcher 2, so I hope I can have a lot of fun with it and be as entertained by the story. I wonder how a open world game design will influence it. Open world games don't have the focus of a narrow linear experience, of course. So, some things are gained, and some things are lost.

I don't work for any press or game companies. I know a person who was part of organizing this event in San Francisco and was invited. Take my impressions however you want. You've seen enough gameplay videos to give you an idea of how it plays and how the missions are structured. It plays and feels exactly like how it looks or how you expect based on those videos. My impression of the game is that this game is just fucking sick! This is all I'll be playing and easily will put 200 hours into this game. And I'm pretty confident most of you guys will agree with me. Time will tell of course but I'll be happy to say I told you so.

Top Bottom