• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness is being heavily pirated. J. Blow says piracy could impact his future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venfayth

I love all these unsourced facts about why people pirate games and how they in no way indicate lost sales. Glad we got this figured out.

You don't need a source to understand that not everyone who pirates a game is capable of buying the game.

Not defending it, just saying it's common sense to understand there's not a 1:1 correlation between number of downloads on a torrent site and number of lost sales.

If there's research out there clarifying the statistic, and that maybe can estimate an actual ratio, it'd be super helpful, but I think you might be asking for something that doesn't exist.

I think logic can at least assert that the ratio of pirates to lost sales is <1

phanphare

Banned
this sucks

the devaluation of games is getting worse and worse

"indie games aren't supposed to be over $20! wahhh!!"

::game gets great reviews::

"fuck, guess I'll pirate it then"

scust

SarusGray

I might buy this on ps4. $40 isn't that bad people really... if i cant afford it now I just save up. Protecting piraters in this thread is strange.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
People will buy it up when it goes on sale, and it has nothing to do with price. If it was 20 people would have still waited for it to go on sale.

Sylas

That argument is bullshit now with steam refunds. It's always been bullshit.

Steam refunds acting as a demo are complete and total bullshit. I do not want to spend $40, even if I can get it back in a week, to see if I like something. I'm a little confused as to where there isn't a demo for The Witness. It seems like the sort of game where you could pretty easily slice off a few areas and call it a demo.

Red Hood

Banned
Be real, as if everybody who pirated it would have bought the game day-one in the first place. Of course I believe how well or badly The Witness sells will impact his future, but it's not that all pirated copies = all missed sales.

Isn't this an example of pricing yourself out of the market? I mean, piracy is completely wrong, but I doubt the vast majority of pirates would have paid $40 for the game in the first place.
I hear what you're saying, if people think the game is too expensive, that's fine. But at that point they go without. People who steal and rationalize it like that are effing aholes.

Fuck this victim-blaming shit.

Not everything is victim-blaming. There are always a myriad of factors that go into any situation. People can be partly responsible for the situation they find themselves in, even when the way others react is shitty.

I mean, what price is too high to the point where this statement becomes acceptable? What if the game cost $80? $200? $1000? When is it ok to say "yeah he probably priced himself out of the market?"

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah no, i have no problem paying for a physical object for 50&#8364;... 40&#8364; for a digital one is far too big for me. I want to protest by not buying the game.

You must fucking hate PC gaming in general, then.

I mean, what price is too high to the point where this statement becomes acceptable? What if the game cost $80? $200? $1000? When is it ok to say "yeah he probably priced himself out of the market?

When the price is out of line for what other games offer for the same price point.

It's not.

Guess Who

Banned
I remember people argued for years that constant Steam sales and indies racing to the bottom on pricing weren't in any way devaluing games, and here we are where people are arguing that a fifty hour long, cleverly designed, beautifully produced game that took seven years to make isn't worth $40.

Hey Mr. Blow.

1 pirated != 1 sale lost.

But fundamentally it doesn't mean "1 pirated == 0 sales lost" either, no doubt it's somewhere in between those two numbers. Where it lies is most definitely a point of contention and is probably virtually impossible to actually divine however.

Intel_89

I'm too lazy to pirate games to try out nowadays but I used to do it back in the day every once in a while. Most of the time I tried out games that I'd never had considered buying in the first place, but after I had some fun with it I'd put it down and wait until I could buy it.

Anyway, The Witness has a really high entry fee for a digital only game, if this was released as a physical media I would've bought it already.

daveo42

Banned
I somewhat disagree, I believe the game may be great but not once have I thought the game deserves to be 40$. I'm sure it's fantastic, and I'll purchase it when it goes on sale (no I haven't pirated it). I don't believe its fair to say "its worth it or not worth it". It's all subjective anyways.

Sure, a game's worth may be subjective based on tastes and content. If you really aren't a big puzzle fan then it might not be worth $40 out of the gate, but the idea of pirating the game because of its price point isn't a valid argument either.

I will as an aside, I've never seen a puzzle game do the things The Witness has done in terms of line puzzles, let alone any other types of puzzles in games. And I was insanely skeptical when the price was announced. For me, at least, it has been well worth the cost and more rewarding thus far than a good deal of full priced games.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Steam Refunds do not exist solely as a purpose to try games out though.

Refunding a game because you don't like it is listed as a valid reason though:

"You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it."

That's really unfortunate. Im hoping he can find a good publisher if his next game is too hard to do with his own small team. I really want him to be able to achieve whatever he wants next because I really like his games.

And while PC users may be pirating, I'd hope the PS4 version sells well enough and that he can capitalize on things like eventually putting the game on PS+ and releasing on X1.

Neoweee

Ether One was free on PS Plus for a while and is now $19.99

Ether One is a much smaller game, and not nearly as good or polished. It is not comparable.

Comparing the two games is kind of baffling, as one is an extremely long puzzle game and one of the longer non-RPGs that I will play this year.

LPride

Banned
Not enough guns for that price

Seriously, people think because it's a puzzle game it should arbitrarily cost less.

Nobody thought this about Portal 2. Expectations are just automatically set lower when they come from an indie dev. Its a problem that will just have to be suffered through until studios start to establish themselves as mid-tier studios positioned between indie and AAA level development.

Diablo 3 is one of the best selling PC games of all time. Its holds a bunch of sales records on PC and it just happens to be impossible to pirate. Coincidence? I think not.

Youre comparing a small team to Blizzard. Thats ridiculous.

eerik9000

I'll gladly help out with my 40 euros after I've upgraded to GTX 970, which should happen in by March. Hang in there, Jonathan!

entremet

According to How Long to Beat, Ether One is 11 hours if you do everything.

The Witness is apparently 70 Hours if you do everything, 7x as long as Ether One.

I haven't even touched on production values.

Be real, as if everybody who pirated it would have bought the game day-one in the first place. Of course I believe how well or badly The Witness sells will impact his future, but it's not that all pirated copies = all missed sales.

it doesnt, and its unrealistic to do so.

if my budget is $20 dollars for a game, and the game is $40 bucks, i cant get it. It in no way justifies piracy, but if I was never gonna buy the game at 40 bucks and i pirate it, they didnt lose a sale.

FloorEssence

Neo Member
Diablo 3 is one of the best selling PC games of all time. Its holds a bunch of sales records on PC and it just happens to be impossible to pirate. Coincidence? I think not.

Yeah one of the biggest PC franchises of all time with years and years of hype behind it, initially exclusive to PC etc. Also given free for WoW players who bought a certain type of subscription

Not everything is victim-blaming. There are always a myriad of factors that go into any situation. People can be partly responsible for the situation they find themselves in, even when the way others react is shitty.

I mean, what price is too high to the point where this statement becomes acceptable? What if the game cost $80? $200? $1000? When is it ok to say "yeah he probably priced himself out of the market?

He didn't price himself out of the market. $40 is perfectly fine for a game like this.

This is a simple case of pirates being criminal pieces of shits more then anything else.

Red Hood

Banned
Fuck this victim-blaming shit.

What? That's not even what he means. He simply means that having it priced at $40 will result in much, much more pirated copies than having it priced at $10 for example. Regardless of whether or not $40 is good pricing, that's another discussion.

Nobody thought this about Portal 2. Expectations are just automatically set lower when they come from an indie dev. Its a problem that will just have to be suffered through until studios start to establish themselves as mid-tier studios positioned between indie and AAA level development.

Valve is an indie dev though

And portal 2 has a gun!

I dunno it doesn't make any sense to me.

megalowho

This is by far my least favorite reporting by the way, and not just in gaming. Reporter lurking on Twitter looking for drama and @ replies to frame an article around, with no attempt to contact the person for further explanation or context. Poor form, tabloid journalism.

The price I would pay for The Witness would be in the range of $15-20. That's just me though.

Would have been better if it was released on XB1 and PS4 first, then PC later. Ah, but what do I know.

it's also not comparable insofar as quality is concerned. Lets find games that are both similar in gameplay and genre that were well received instead:

Portal 2 launched at $60
Talos Principle launched at $40
The Witness launched at $40

Seems fair, really

I'm tempted to think that The Witness is one of those games which will continue to sell for a longer than standard period, which i hope will prove helpful. I wonder how Braid is selling these days.

Pachael

I bought the game on steam for $40 and even after just a few hours of playing I absolutely feel like I'm going to get my money's worth.

edit: It's probably a worrying sign that he's upset about piracy. If the game was doing fine I don't think an indie dev would worry about pirate numbers? Maybe I'm wrong there. Just a thought.

That's what I read of the statement too - hoping that his concerns on the sales are misplaced and that the game's selling really well.

Game cost $8 million to make. They get $28 per unit. So they have to sell 285,000 units at full price to break even. It's probably quite daunting. I think Jon is thinking out loud here, it's not really a big news story to me, if anything developers talking about piracy is just easy free press. I'll wait to see the sales numbers before giving it much thought.

Many PC games make the majority of their money at the 50% off price point. Sony will obviously want it for a PS+ title next year and then you have the iOS factor, Apple will get behind this game in a huge way and feature it straight to the bank.

I don't think he needed to spend $8 million on this game, he wanted to. So if he breaks even that's great.

Sylas

It's a little unfair to compare the two. Portal 2 had a massive amount of marketing behind it and came from a company with an established IP or three behind it. As much as I like and respect Blow's games, he doesn't have much of a pedigree unless you're already invested in what he's selling you.

I remember people argued for years that constant Steam sales and indies racing to the bottom on pricing weren't in any way devaluing games, and here we are where people are arguing that a fifty hour long, cleverly designed, beautifully produced game that took seven years to make isn't worth $40.
I mean, it could be that puzzle-only games, especially ones that place an emphasis on not being accessible in the modern sense of game design are simply a harder sell. Content doesn't matter if it's not content people would pay $40 for to begin with.

Are you calling Valve indie just because theyre privately owned?

I'm just being difficult. The entire idea of claiming games are worth less because theyre from an "indie" dev makes no sense to me. Separating out "Indies" at all is silly, as if theyre lesser games in any way just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom