• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

Kalor

That's the price I was expecting so I'm fine with this. If it was more than £30 I would have had to decide between this and Cold Steel next week.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why should he need to prove anything to you? And what's with weird passive-aggressive "I doubt he has any"?

Are you fucking joking? He made a claim that Talos had a bigger budget than The Witness, so I asked for proof.

Also it is hardly passive aggressive to say that I doubt he has any when a lot of developers do not release their actual budgets.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'll get it if it gets good reviews. If it gets good enough reviews it will probably be worth the $40.

Wozman23

Curious to see how this performs. I was down for day 1 regardless of the cost.

At its announce I just assumed it would fall in line with the $20 tier of games. Glad to hear there's more to it, and I hope it can justify the 40 price.

I feel like the market has placed a stigma on 40 dollar games in both the AAA and indie realm. Stuff like Ratchet and Clank, Tearaway Unfolded, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, and Puppeteer are seen as lesser games, yet they are some of my favorites from the last few years. In the indie market, where people get games for dollars and cents, 40 bucks is outrageous. I'm all for a wider variety of options, especially if it means more robust indie games.

mattp

to everyone complaining about the price: have you played the fucking game? if no, shut up

i mean, it totally looks worth the money, but thats not the point

I think what this should teach developers is that you really should try to create a pricing narrative around your game. Even if you don't want to pin down an exact price until close to launch, you want people to think "This is an amazing full-featured content-rich game that I'm getting for only $40; that's $20 less than most games!" and not "Man, this indie game is like 2-3 times as expensive as other indie games."

You need to connect the dots for people. It's not enough to show that your game is no small indie game. You need to let people know that they're not going to get an amazing "$60" game for $15; they're going to get an amazing "$60" game for $40.

It's always odd to me how when an indie game is priced this high, people are automatically less likely to buy it. I get where it comes from but this game supposedly has as much content as a regular AAA game, if not more.

What's funny is that a lot of people buy retail full-priced games that have way less content.

Hell, if a retail game comes out at $40 people automatically think something is wrong with it. I remember in '08 when Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was reported to be $40 and people were like "omg this must mean MS has no confidence in this game!!!"

Can't wait for the reactions for No Man's Sky inevitable $40-$60 price announcement. I expect tons of "WHAT! How dare they! It's just a bunch of algorithms, it's not like they made everything by hand! A bunch of algorithms is worth $20 tops!"

Are you fucking joking? He made a claim that Talos had a bigger budget than The Witness, so I asked for proof.

Also it is hardly passive aggressive to say that I doubt he has any when a lot of developers do not release their actual budgets.
Oh, misunderstood your post. Thought that comment was regarding Blow and his budget

I'd gladly pay $40 for a physical release, but $40 for a game I can't lend or sell is more than I'm comfortable with. And yes, the ability to lend and sell a game adds value, even if the digital only crowd is unable to wrap their heads around the concept.

If there was a set date for a physical release then I'd just wait for that, but it sounds like there aren't any concrete plans at the moment, just that they want to have a disc version eventually.

I guess I'll wait and see the feedback the game gets. I wanted to go into this game as blind as possible, but if I'm going to spend $40 for a digital game, I need to know in advance if I'm going to enjoy it.

inm8num2

Seems appropriate for the amount of content the game is offering, but I hope this doesn't lead to an avalanche of "OMG this game's too expensive all you do is walk around" outcries.

Willing to give Blow a shot on this one. Plus it's not like there's any other releases to compete with for a while, so this so keep me going til spring.

I see more complaints about this than there was about this...

D9V4cMC.png

Some of you are weird.
There were major complaints with this.

War. War never changes.

400 - Instabuy
800 - Probably buy
1200 - Really needs to be worth it
1600 - Fuck off

$20? Uhhhh.... Was gonna get it, but really?

And, Competition or Bust.

$20 USD? No thanks.

Interested in the game but not $20 interested

Don't care what reasoning you can throw at me or how hard you claim it's a good price for the game, I'm not paying that much for it

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
to everyone complaining about the price: have you played the fucking game? if no, shut up

preach

I think what this should teach developers is that you really should try to create a pricing narrative around your game. Even if you don't want to pin down an exact price until close to launch, you want people to think "This is an amazing full-featured content-rich game that I'm getting for only $40; that's $20 less than most games!" and not "Man, this indie game is like 2-3 times as expensive as other indie games."

You need to connect the dots for people. It's not enough to show that your game is no small indie game. You need to let people know that they're not going to get an amazing "$60" game for $15; they're going to get an amazing "$60" game for $40.

it is an interesting case study, for sure. pricing and perception go hand in hand for anything people deem "indie" games.

Especially if they're stood akimbo and quaffing mead.

wait wat

Skinpop

I'm disappointed with people who are upset over the pricing. shame on you.

I'd rather pay $60 for this than $10 for the yearly rehashed gameplay AAA titles so many happily preorder, buy season passes for and what not.

For some people, myself included, if it's above 20 and you're not giving me the game on physical media, it's a no-go. At least on console where the two services haven't proven themselves to be all that reliable.

That's fair enough. Are they talking about a physical release?

amnesiac

Find it kind of hilarious people don't balk at giving $60 to massive corporations but are hesitant to pay $40 for an indie game that someone spent all their money to create. Game has 600+ puzzles. You'll probably get your money's worth if you like these type of games.

This seems fair. I personally won't play it at launch for that price because I don't have that much faith in john blow, but it seems to be a game with a lot in it.

Man, y'all niggaz is cheap...

What if this turns out to be another Jouney? No faith in blow even after braid?

I dunno, I thought Braid was pretty amazing..

Yeah I'm kind of expecting $60 for NMS. But would be pleased with $50.

But what if NMS was digital only as well? It comes from an indie developer. What if they came out and said $60 digital only? GAF would shit the bed it has already shat in several times before.

Find it kind of hilarious people don't balk at giving $60 to massive corporations but are hesitant to pay $40 for an indie game that someone spent all their money to create. Game has 600+ puzzles. You'll probably get your money's worth if you like these type of games.

The problem is people expect indie devs to price their lower than the normal $60.

Acceptable price ranges for games (according to NeoGAF)

Mobile: Free to $0.99
Indie: $0.99 to $20
AAA: $60 to whatever premium, collector's, limited, super edition price

dLMN8R

I don't expect it to be cheap, but some folks have a budget for games that they are on the fence. My monthly budget for games is $60 these days, and I can't enjoy all these great games at full price anymore, especially with Canadian dollar going down the shitter.

That's fine.

People with a limited budget aren't entitled to play every game that comes out, especially not when they have arbitrary expectations about what a game "should" cost because of the method in which the bits make their way from the developer to their console.

Your need or desire to significantly limit your personal gaming budget means jack when it comes to a developer choosing to price their game in a way that seems fair to them based on what they think the game offers. Maybe they're wrong, but probably not.

I'm sure Blow and his team are well aware that a $40 price point will mean fewer people being able to purchase the game. They probably also expect that the higher price will offset the lower number of customers enough to be worth it.

And even if not enough people buy it to be worth it from the outset, I bet they're also smart enough to know that by not devaluing their work right from the beginning, they build in more longevity for a long tail of sales through future discounts that make the game more affordable for people who have more limited budgets.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
there is a huge difference between "i don't want to spend $40 of my gaming budget on this at launch" vs. "this game isn't worth $40 because it's indie/digital/whatever"

Fantasy vernacular.

damn dnd podcasts over my lunch break got me talkin crazy

Man, y'all niggaz is cheap...

What if this turns out to be another Jouney? No faith in blow even after braid?

I dunno, I thought Braid was pretty amazing..

yup

Braid was a real game changer, for sure. the guy deserves some faith.

IvanJ

Banned
I look forward to the reactions when No Man's Sky is announced to cost $60.

I'm fine with this price for The Witness.

I fully expect NMS to be $60.
I still won't pay more than $20 for it, just like for The Witness.

I see no reason to spend that much money, when I can play the same game a few months later at a fraction of the price. It will still have 600+ puzzles in April or August.

Top Bottom