• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

I didn't realize it's been 7 years since Braid. I liked that game enough and I am interested in this if only because of how long it's been in development. Might give it a shot when I get a PS4.

DrakeNathan

their twitter said"It is also possible you might find out when the game will be released",So the date same as the year figure,0126/2016,how clever,but also has other combination like 0612.
the game style something like The Talos Princple,but has a great vision on every aspect,much hype

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Almost didn't notice but holy shit what does it mean??

fRMMfX5.png
This game's already blowing my mind.

megalowho

Glad the game seems to be in the home stretch of development. It still appears to be pleasingly colorful and lush with nice environmental variety, love the hints of soundtrack we've heard as well. Not sure how I feel about an 80 hour Myst game as a pitch, and I liked Myst well enough, but should be a unique and interesting puzzler at the very least.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The cynic in me tells me they decided that the date should be such that they could get cute with it 0126-2016.

Then you didn't watch the trailer. There's more to the puzzles than just maze panels, and there's also a hell of a lot more to the game than shown in a 1 and a half minute trailer.

How can anyone know this? I watched the trailer (and every other preview that's come out for this game) and this is the first time I've seen puzzles not connected to a monitor and even then that was one shot. Anyone would be forgiven for looking at that trailer and thinking "80 hours of line mazes. . ."

If you're following a walkthrough I'm sure it'll take much shorter than that, but if you're trying to solve all the puzzles on your own and they are as difficult as Blow claims? I can believe that figure.

If the game is long because it's needlessly obtuse that's not fun.

PolishQ

How can anyone know this? I watched the trailer (and every other preview that's come out for this game) and this is the first time I've seen puzzles not connected to a monitor and even then that was one shot. Anyone would be forgiven for looking at that trailer and thinking "80 hours of line mazes. . ."

From what we know, all of the interaction in the game comes in the form of drawing lines on panels. However, when we say there's "more to the puzzles" than drawing lines on panels, we mean that:

- your knowledge of previous line panels may give you the tools to solve future ones
- you may have to pay attention to the environment to know how to solve a given line panel
- what the line panel DOES once you solve it is anyone's guess - it could open a door, for example, or it could do something really obtuse

So, it's not just solving one line panel after another in the same way you might solve a book full of sudokus. There is a greater context. Think of how everything came into play for Riven's final puzzle, if you ever played that one.

dano1

A Sheep
Very cool looking. But I've only seen the same boring tracing line puzzles. That better not be the game!!!

GavinUK86

Holy shit, the PC screenshot thread is going to inundated with shots from this in Jan. It's gorgeous. The line puzzles makes the gameplay look rubbish though. Have to wait and see.

Nzyme32

Almost didn't notice but holy shit what does it mean??

This game's already blowing my mind.

You may have just spoiled the game :p

I expect a whole lot of cryptic shit in the game, and I doubt I'd ever work it all out without the help of guides, as I have had to do with the paradox ending to Braid and all those texts

mattp

everyone complaining that its "just the same line puzzles the entire game" are pretty short sighted
i don't think you're literally gonna be staring at line puzzles the entire time. its just the the method of inputting SOLUTIONS to the puzzles are those line panels

the puzzles are going to involve all kinds of stuff and clues in the actual game world

injurai

Banned
So excited. It looks so great. Blow's work has been fascinating to follow. Both from a technical standpoint and from a game design standpoint. I'm glad there are people like him in the industry.

Helmholtz

Visually it looks amazing. The line puzzle aspect does look kind of underwhelming at face value, but it's Jon Blow, it's not going to simply just be line puzzles. They will probably require a lot of thought/exploration to solve.

Kyuur

Utterly sad. There is no problem. The problem was fixed. Years and years ago. You press a button and you see all the interactive spots. Bam! no more pixel hunting.

This is a sad reflection of a part of P&C devs that are for some reason oblivious to this solution and still design their games on pixel hunting. Case in point, the highest-profile P&C title in years, Broken Age, has no Hotspot indicator and doesn't allow you to skip conversations.

I don't think that's a solution. Much like adding objective compasses to games that rely on exploration, this causes the player to stop looking at the game itself and instead focus on the metadata provided to win.

Mifune

Mehmber
everyone complaining that its "just the same line puzzles the entire game" are pretty short sighted
i don't think you're literally gonna be staring at line puzzles the entire time. its just the the method of inputting SOLUTIONS to the puzzles are those line panels

the puzzles are going to involve all kinds of stuff and clues in the actual game world

Thank you. You said it much better than I did.

And the trailer has already showed puzzles where you have to physically move around (on foot or on a boat) in order to fill in the line on the panel.

As for the secret from the trailer: it's clear that reflections in the water will be very important in this game. There are reflections all over the trailer and we've already seen that it can reveal unexpected clues.

(See also the promo image on Wikipedia. This is another hint that you need to bring real objects and reflections together somehow.)

GeoramA

80-hour, open-world puzzle game. I'm seriously intimidated by that.

I can tell game's going to kick the shit out of my brain, like Braid did.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Again, how does anyone who hasn't played the game know this? I'm not saying that it wont deliver on hours of engaging content, but finger waging people who aren't convinced after a two minute trailer doesn't seem like a legit response.

From what we know, all of the interaction in the game comes in the form of drawing lines on panels. However, when we say there's "more to the puzzles" than drawing lines on panels, we mean that:

- your knowledge of previous line panels may give you the tools to solve future ones
- you may have to pay attention to the environment to know how to solve a given line panel
- what the line panel DOES once you solve it is anyone's guess - it could open a door, for example, or it could do something really obtuse

The only thing that sounds "interesting" is the last bit. The other two are basically how any other game works.

I'll be getting the game when it comes out simply based on BRAID and how well that game wrung gameplay out of a "simple" mechanic, but it would be nice for Blow to articulate a bit more on just how the game is going to keep the players interest for these 80+ hours.

Top Bottom