• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox One deals in the UK are just getting insane!

The latest offering by MS/Game

it was so good I had to do a double take but it is true £359 gets you

Console + Halo MCC + Cod AW + Forza 5 + a choice of Titanfall, Transformers, Lego Marvel or Spiderman 2

This is crazy, in fact I feel for anyone trying to sell their console second hand, it almost feels like we are getting to a situation where you will get so many games thrown in the console will effectively cost £100

in fact the Titanfall one has now sold out

http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/xbox-one-consoles/?merchname=topnav-_-XB1-_-consolebundles

Well that's one way to prove the worth of your console - give away the kitchen sink with it. Wonder what the price will be come January...

Chris1

Well that's one way to prove the worth of your console - give away the kitchen sink with it. Wonder what the price will be come January...
Remember this is the UK, RRP means jack shit here pretty much. This is just a game deal btw, not MS. The only thing that's down to MS is the bundled game really.

There has been good bundles all year round (Titanfall kinect for £350 when the standalone console was £429 for example), and I think you were able to get FIFA + CoD + AW + Console for £350 a few weeks ago, the only thing changed to that it's the forza bundle this time and an extra game for £10.

The UK is competitive as fuck because everyone here loves cheap shit and if a store stays at RRP they will sell next to no consoles. All it takes is one shop to drop the price and the rest will follow trying to beat the rest, and it will happen because like I said, we love cheap shit. It's partly why games are £40 in shops on release date but the RRP is like £60.

EGM1966

It's not really a surprise. MS is behind in all regions but remains closer in US and UK. They have to hang on in US and UK or all really is lost long term over the length of the gen.

Hence I expect them to compete like crazy at peak trading. It's going to hammer profits for Xbox division but they don't really have a choice. Time's ticking on the gen and their main competitor has been steadily puling ahead.

If you do want an Xbox in US or UK then this holiday period is certainly going to be your best bet I'd imagine.

I'm curious if they'll keep things at this level from January onwards or not though. I guess it'll depend to an extent on not just how well they do but how well PS4 does and how they feel about trends at that point.

myca77

If this aggressive pricing goes well for Microsoft over the festive season it could force the hand of Sony to bring the price down early next year (in these two markets at least) win win all around.

I may get one at some point, but am waiting on a slim line revision that can be placed vertically, that and a few more first party games that interest me. Hell by the time I get one they'll probably be in the £200 region.

Kill3r7

It's not really a surprise. MS is behind in all regions but remains closer in US and UK. They have to hang on in US and UK or all really is lost long term over the length of the gen.

Hence I expect them to compete like crazy at peak trading. It's going to hammer profits for Xbox division but they don't really have a choice. Time's ticking on the gen and their main competitor has been steadily puling ahead.

If you do want an Xbox in US or UK then this holiday period is certainly going to be your best bet I'd imagine.

I'm curious if they'll keep things at this level from January onwards or not though. I guess it'll depend to an extent on not just how well they do but how well PS4 does and how they feel about trends at that point.

Spot on.

If Sony sweeps both November and December I think MS goes back to norm and kind of mimics what the WiiU did this past year (obviously selling more consoles but accepting the fact they'll be second in all regions). They'll try another push next holiday season.

I do think there is a tipping point when it comes to price.

If the Xbox was ran by another company, Sony would had drive it out of business by now a la Sega (I know it wasnt the only factor, but it was a considerable one).

Microsoft has a huge war chest, so they´re not going to lay down that easily. I can only imagine how much money they´re losing/investing with all of these deals.

EvB

Spot on.

If Sony sweeps both November and December I think MS goes back to norm and kind of mimics what the WiiU did this past year (obviously selling more consoles but accepting the fact they'll be second in all regions). They'll try another push next holiday season.

I do think there is a tipping point when it comes to price.

Definitely, that's why the 360 did so well, it took Sony a long time to catch up due to launching later and with such a high RRP.

j3ff3

Banned
You know this forum is in a poor state when people complain about good deals.

the console is still over £300 and a year old.

it might be a good deal relatively, but i don't think its a particularly good deal in its own right because i never thought the original RRP was anywhere near worth it.

Remember this is the UK, RRP means jack shit here pretty much. This is just a game deal btw, not MS. The only thing that's down to MS is the bundled game really.

There has been good bundles all year round (Titanfall kinect for £350 when the standalone console was £429 for example), and I think you were able to get FIFA + CoD + AW + Console for £350 a few weeks ago, the only thing changed to that it's the forza bundle this time and an extra game for £10.

The UK is competitive as fuck because everyone here loves cheap shit and if a store stays at RRP they will sell next to no consoles. All it takes is one shop to drop the price and the rest will follow trying to beat the rest, and it will happen because like I said, we love cheap shit. It's partly why games are £40 in shops on release date but the RRP is like £60.

its because we get shafted price wise and know the RRP is an absolute joke!

Kayant

Good enough to outsells PS4 3:1.

XS5LK.gif

vesvci

Banned
wow....at this point MS is pretty much begging for people to buy the XBO.

the danger to that is the perception of desperation and neediness. people might start thinking "is the console that bad?".

j3ff3

Banned
wow....at this point MS is pretty much begging for people to buy the XBO.

the danger to that is the perception of desperation and neediness. people might start thinking "is the console that bad?".

i doubt it. its still £300 or so.

probably why they are bundling games not reducing the base price.

Ushay

In Uk they are both killing it at the moment. When I go into GAME I get the impression there are more people looking at the Xbox 'side' of the store. But that's entirely anecdotal.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who is very interested in getting an xbox one in the next few months it's a great time to see Sony and MS and stores in a bundles war. Nice to see the customer benefit :)

EGM1966

i doubt it. its still £300 or so.

probably why they are bundling games not reducing the base price.
Correct. MS want to try and protect the price of the console somewhat and that makes sense 'cause if they do get momentum off these deals they just stop bundling free games and hey presto people are used to that price point for the console.

It's an expensive approach though as they must be covering all those free games: that's why I'm curious how long they'll keep this up.

I'd imagine they're hoping the do well peak trading then ease of in early 2015 with better momentum.

gioGAF

Crazy, they are practically giving them away. Lol at anyone trying to offload a second hand xbone. That being said, I still wouldn't buy one...

RichL

Banned
When the original xbox didn't sell, didn't ms suddenly bundle about 4 games with the machine? Can't remember exactly now.

DevilFox

They're overdoing it. I don't know how this works but I guess that your product just lose value if you keep to drop the price and/or making such crazy offers. Also, someone could probably think to wait a little more.. and a little more and more.. you get it. Am I wrong?

Chris1

its because we get shafted price wise and know the RRP is an absolute joke!
Yep, I remember at launch Game tried to sell games for £60!

Luckily as I said the UK is competitive and Asda/Tesco are willing to take a loss on video games to get you to buy more things in store which forced Game to lower their prices to something a bit more reasonable like a week later, of course they can't take a loss on games so they can't sell as cheap as asda, but it just shows that if you try to sell things for RRP you won't really get anywhere in the UK, which makes these deals seem a bit better than they should be because our RRP is inflated to hell.

Damn. Don't have one yet, thinking maybe next fall may be the time.

At that point the deals will be insane, unless they 'catch up' enough and ease up on the promos a bit.

blazeuk

Never buying a console on launch again.

I probably wouldn't have been able to spend the money on the PS4/Xbox One now like I did at launch last year when I actually had some disposable income, but yeah, I usually don't buy all consoles at launch in a console gen and I think I'll go back to doing that after this one when we're seeing deals like this.

Seems great but none of these deals are spreading into the wider EU market.

I live in Ireland which is right next door and normally gets the same deals and its still just €399 and over for console + game bundles.

I would totally jump on some of the XB1 bundles popping up in the UK/US if they pushed them globally but its super clear MS doesnt give a fuck. Maybe keeping the system at full price here takes some of the sting out of the price slashes in their primary 2 markets or something.

Great deals. Not sure what there is to make fun of. People thought the price was way too high for an under powered machine and now they're making some great deals for people who like to play video games to own.

Hell of a deal.

Dizzy

Banned
When the original xbox didn't sell, didn't ms suddenly bundle about 4 games with the machine? Can't remember exactly now.
I think that was Christmas 2002. Xbox launched in March 2002.

However one month after launch they had to drop the price by £100. I dont think any system has ever had suge a huge price drop so fast.

So yeah this is like a repeat of the og xbox for microsoft. Unlike the 360 which remained at £279 or so for many years. Obviously that was down to ps3 being so much more expensivd.

impact

Banned
conversion to USD is $562, so it's really not that good of a deal (or even a deal at all). I guess you guys are used to paying more though

Top Bottom