• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Yakuza Remastered Collection: Yakuza 3 for PS4 now available in the west; Yakuza 4 and 5 to follow in October and February

Fbh

In addition:

Although I fail to understand the hesitation when the likes of Nioh and Sekiro do so well. It would arguably be more acceptable than Yakuza.

Holy shit yes, please localize it.

And I agree, I don't understand the hesitation. Nioh did well, Sekiro did well, Sony is spending a lot of cash making a AAA game set in historical Japan..... there's clearly interest for the setting in the west.

nowhat

0 blind to the series makes 1 (and to less extent 2) much better.
I was a complete newcomer to the series when I started out with Zero (since then I've played Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 6 and Judgment), and sure, it is a very good entry point. I absolutely love the story of Zero even though it does get horribly convoluted at points, and playing Zero before Kiwami gave really much more depth to the characters. Had I started with Kiwami, I probably would have spent much of my playtime going "who? what? why?".

But I'd strongly advice against playing Zero and Kiwami back-to-back, which I did. It's not that Kiwami is bad, just that Zero is better by pretty much every conceivable metric. And I got really Yakuza-fatigued by the time I got around finishing Kiwami. Take a break in between would be my suggestion. Had I done so, my opinion of Kiwami would probably be higher (again, it's not bad, but IMHO it's the weakest of the bunch I've played so far).

dolabla

In addition:

Although I fail to understand the hesitation when the likes of Nioh and Sekiro do so well. It would arguably be more acceptable than Yakuza.

If they release Ishin, I will scream of joy. I have wanted to play that for a long while. I still have the demo from the Japanese PS store on my PS4.

EDMIX

In addition:

Agreed. Over the years, more and more have accepted the series for what it is. They legit want it to be in Japanese, want to see the culture etc. It would be like Capcom localizing GTA in Japan and trying to not make it sound too American, the point is for it to be American and I'm sure the Japanese KNOW what Japan looks like and want to play a game about wild America.

Consider the same can be stated about Yakuza fans. They love the series because its Japanese and I hope that the team they have remastering 3-5 end up doing Kenzan and Ishin after. Even if its just digital, I don't see a reason for them to feel the fans won't want it cause its very Japanese, when clearly they favor Yakuza because of that exact reason in the first place. So I think they might end up doing it regardless as its easy money and after 3-5 those will be the only games fans would be begging for lol

Mista

Banned
Switched the link from GB to US and got the one on the US store. Thanks a lot mate

EDMIX

Did it come out before 3 as well? If I were to start playing Yakuza, which is the first one to start with in order of release and story arch?

Edit: found it.

HLkxbjK.png

I'd say start with Zero, then move to 1-6. If Kenzan and Ishin come out in the west later, those can be played either time, but I'd say after playing Zero and 1 as the characters and lots of the jokes about existing characters in the series, not needed to understand the story, but fun to know.

RPGCrazied

The people buying 3 digital should tell us how performance is. I know they say 60fps, but is it fluid or tons of stuttering?

I'd like to know.

EDMIX

Start with 0
DONT START WITH KIWAMI 1

start by other than 0 only if you already know 1

THIS 10000%. After playing Zero, I wish I didn't play 1-5 lol

So anyone new to it, start with Zero as its a warm welcome to the series and has one of my favorite stories in the series thus far, prepare for the massive FEELS!

RPGCrazied RPGCrazied facts. I already played Yakuza 3, years ago so.....I just want to see how it plays as I'm just getting that collection next year.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
well, shiet son. might get the ps4 version of 5 then, since it is physical.
I don't think we will have that option sadly. Most likely they will release it as one package. At least i hope all 3 games will be on the disc and it's not another Spyro trilogy fiasco.

sublimit

Banned

RPGCrazied

I'm refreshing like mad. I'm sure I'll get an order in. You can still get the song of life artbook edition on Amazon. I'm sure the steelbooks for both kiawami games are available.

The Snake

Holy crap that is an awesome collection.They even included the PS3 Y5 Box.Lots of respect for that alone!

I really hope this same version will be released in Europe too.

Oh damn, I just noticed that. Very cool. Always hated having that gap in my collection.

nowhat

The people buying 3 digital should tell us how performance is. I know they say 60fps, but is it fluid or tons of stuttering?

I'd like to know.
Judging by like the first 15 minutes - it's very fluid. My eyes are not Digital Foundry certified, so I may miss a dropped frame here or there, but it's 60fps enough for me. Basically, take a PS3 game and up the resolution/framerate and that's what you get.

On a positive note, there's one "feature" of the Dragon Engine that I really dislike, that being the anti-aliasing solution. It works well enough usually, but with edges at certain angles it can cause really annoying shimmering, this is especially evident in cutscenes. No such flaw here, cutscenes are very crisp (perhaps overtly so, but upping the resolution will do that).

On a negative note, there's no way to pause cutscenes as far as I can tell - no, the "holding down PS button on controller"-trick won't work either. In what I'm assuming is a very cutscene-heavy game, this is a serious shortcoming. At least personally, the times I can play uninterrupted for hours are rare nowadays.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Start with 1 remake (Kiwami) or Zero. I would say Yakuza is very rare in that you'll actually be okay starting with the prequel. Kiwami and Kiwami 2 are remakes of 1 and 2 that make it play closer to the game engine that started with 3.

0 > 1 (Kiwami) > 2 (Kiwami 2) > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > Judgment

Kenzan, Ishin, and everything else are side content for diehard fans of the series.
Kenzan (and Ishin) are spin-offs where you see characters from the main series in the Edo period. You don't need to play them in order to understand the story arc of the main series.

Judgement is not a part of the series.
Start with 0
DONT START WITH KIWAMI 1

start by other than 0 only if you already know 1
I'd say start with Zero, then move to 1-6. If Kenzan and Ishin come out in the west later, those can be played either time, but I'd say after playing Zero and 1 as the characters and lots of the jokes about existing characters in the series, not needed to understand the story, but fun to know.
THIS 10000%. After playing Zero, I wish I didn't play 1-5 lol

So anyone new to it, start with Zero as its a warm welcome to the series and has one of my favorite stories in the series thus far, prepare for the massive FEELS!

RPGCrazied RPGCrazied facts. I already played Yakuza 3, years ago so.....I just want to see how it plays as I'm just getting that collection next year.

Sweet, thanks a lot everyone!

I will start with 0.

sublimit

Banned
Sweet, thanks a lot everyone!

I will start with 0.
My only advice is that you should take your time with these games,try to do sidequests,explore and look for locker keys, and do side activities as much as possible (at least the ones you enjoy) and in general just immerse yourself in Yakuza's world. There's a lot to discover and some of the best (and funny) moments are hidden behind sidequests and sideactivities.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My only advice is that you should take your time with these games,try to do sidequests,explore and look for locker keys, and do side activities as much as possible (at least the ones you enjoy) and in general just immerse yourself in Yakuza's world. There's a lot to discover and some of the best (and funny) moments are hidden behind sidequests and sideactivities.

Sounds good, I don't plan on grinding through them so definitely noted.

Yakuza 3 is my favorite of the series, i even have the limited fat edition ps3 they released with the game

EYblSDL.jpg

Hope they still have the install screen, was super cool in the ps3 version. Recommend that anyone with a interest in the series play it.

Needless to say i bought it at once

Last edited:
Every other yakuza prior to 5 was physical. It was the only digital one on ps3 so i clearly skipped because i adore my physical collections. I'll finally be playing 5 once the physical copy is released.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Yakuza 3 is my favorite of the series, i even have the limited fat edition ps3 they released with the game

EYblSDL.jpg

Hope they still have the install screen, was super cool in the ps3 version. Recommend that anyone with a interest in the series play it.

Needless to say i bought it at once
Congrats. IMO that is the most beautiful LE PS3 ever released.

sublimit

Banned
Every other yakuza prior to 5 was physical. It was the only digital one on ps3 so i clearly skipped because i adore my physical collections. I'll finally be playing 5 once the physical copy is released.
You missed on a great game (and quite different in many ways from the previous ones) but nice that you'll finally be able to play it. :)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I have Kiwami already from Plus last year, but I see 0 is on sale right now.

What is the difference between the two?

0 I assume is like a prequel/backstory to the first Yakuza and Kiwami is the HD remake from the original Yakuza on the PS2, correct?

gela94

While this is great news especially the re-added content of Y3 but I'm pretty disappointed that we still get a "Yakuza Ishin . .we are still thinking about it" at this point the thoughts should be finished already :messenger_face_steam: I'm tired of listening to devs and publishers talking about how they are considering or thinking about some shit and almost never anything happens.

nowhat

0 I assume is like a prequel/backstory to the first Yakuza and Kiwami is the HD remake from the original Yakuza on the PS2, correct?
That's pretty much it. And yes, a remake, not just a resolution bump like 3 in this instance, there are some additions to the game as well compared to the original.

But really, you need to start with Zero. I'm honestly envious that you get to experience it for the first time, it's just so good.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Day One on the physical, anywhere to order in the UK?

Dunki

I have Kiwami already from Plus last year, but I see 0 is on sale right now.

What is the difference between the two?

0 is a prequel which came out after Yakuza 5. But if you start now you should 100% start with 0 since it makes Yakuza Kiwami so much more impactful.

As for the cut content:

Looks like music got cut a bit because of licensing issues (so no vocals)
Answer X Answer minigame is cut as well since i is way too difficult to translate. (Makes sense)
3. sub stories featuring trans people were also cut but these were also cut in the Japanese Remaster

All hostesses are in.
Rest off side stories are in as well and the translations seems much much better than the cut version. This is the Yakuza 3 Game you should play and deserve to play.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
So rad, I'm gitty.

Not sure i like the physical delay though, actually, no i dont like that.

But if its due to general logistics of physical, then its understandable. Maybe it was even a business decision, to take proceeds from digital sales to foot the physical print and package costs.

Whatever, im just happy its pretty soon.

Last edited:

Dunki

So rad, I'm gitty.

Not sure i like the physical delay though, actually, no i dont like that.

But if its due to general logistics of physical, then its understandable. Maybe it was even a business decision, to take proceeds from digital sales to foot the physical print and package costs.

Whatever, im just happy its pretty soon.
The reason for this is that the other games are not done yet. An since it is a collection it will be released with the last game (Yakuza 5) coming out in Feb..

Inanilmaz

0 is a prequel which came out after Yakuza 5. But if you start now you should 100% start with 0 since it makes Yakuza Kiwami so much more impactful.

As for the cut content:

Looks like music got cut a bit because of licensing issues (so no vocals)
Answer X Answer minigame is cut as well since i is way too difficult to translate. (Makes sense)
3. sub stories featuring trans people were also cut but these were also cut in the Japanese Remaster

All hostesses are in.
Rest off side stories are in as well and the translations seems much much better than the cut version. This is the Yakuza 3 Game you should play and deserve to play.

Can you see side storys on the map? (Yakuza 3)

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
The reason for this is that the other games are not done yet. An since it is a collection it will be released with the last game (Yakuza 5) coming out in Feb..
meh, then why not sell the digital titles for 20$ each... i don't care that much, but its a ploy for us yakuza fans to possibly double dip, cuz they know we want that physical edition, but also expect we may buy digital to play 3 now and 4 in October.

Last edited:
Huh, that's an interesting way to release a collection. Basically pay full price for it now and get Y3 for the time being, then Y4/Y5 come later? I might wait wait until February tbh, feeling a bit burnt out on Yakuza right now >>

Dunki

meh, then why not sell the digital titles for 20$ each... i don't care that much, but its a ploy for us yakuza fans to possibly double dip, cuz they know we want that physical edition, but also expect we may buy digital to play 3 now and 4 in October.
No it is not a ploy they are just not ready yet. And this is also a great way to spread the awareness of these games. At lets be honest. Almost NO ONE will play 3 Yakuza games back to back. Thats like 300 hours. So when 5 is being released in Feb than you have a few more month for 6 and then most likely you will see the new Yakuza

And no I do not want physical versions at all.. I have not bought a physical game snce the end of the PS3.

Top Bottom