• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Yakuza Remastered Collection: Yakuza 3 for PS4 now available in the west; Yakuza 4 and 5 to follow in October and February

jonnyp

Bought the collection and downloading Yakuza 3 now! Woohooooo

The PS+ service has been good for Ryū Ga Gotoku studio in my case. I got Yakuza 1 Kiwami for free on PS+ and have since bought Yakuza 0, Yakuza 2 Kiwami, Judgment, Yakuza 6 (not played yet) and now the 3, 4, 5 collection.

Last edited:
Kenzan is the only yakuza game without trophy support. They had a chance to go back and add some in but they didn't bother. You do get in game bonuses for clearing stuff though. I think you would get more enjoyment out of both kenzan and Ishin by playing kiwami first so you understand the cameos.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I only ever played the first one on PS2. I was expecting GTA in Japan, which it was not. Now that I know what to expect, and now that they are all playable on PS4, I need to play these!

RavageX

Sooo....I don't know what kind of fan this makes me. I plan to buy the things now digitally.....and then buy the limited edition when it releases.....

dolabla

Been watching some gameplay vids. Can not wait to play 3 again. I can't wait to get to 5 too. I never beat it.

Kazza

I wonder when the PC versions will get released. I would guess Oct for Yakuza 3. The main Yakuza localisation guy is keeping schtum :

Mista

Banned
Wait… So the upcoming collection only includes 3-6? Not all of them? I'm a bit confused.
3 to 5 only. 6 is the latest release so it isn’t included in any collection.

The Origins Bundle got 0, Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2

Rodolink

Got it on Amazon.de it said was not available but the Buy Now button was enabled so I just bought it. Does that counts as preorder?

Been playing Yakuza 0 recently, only very early on (big event just happened after massive kicking arse session) and it's got its hooks into me. Characters and story are slowly brilliant and it captures the era well. Glad to see I can play through all the games on PC :)

squallheart

I am excited and in for physical. I've been playing yakuza 0 trying to platinum it but that damn pocket racer last match is a pain lol. Its holding me back from starting kiwami 1 and 2. 6 I already finished.

IpsoFacto

Oh, F*** me! I just finished Yakuza Kiwami 2. Now there's a collection with the three remaining games that I haven't played from this series.

Incredible value! Three games for $60 (3, 4, and 5). I just got into the series on PS4 and I've completed Y0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, and Y6. These are amazing games. I'm definitely getting the remastered collection.

dolabla

Yes! Went ahead and pre-ordered on Amazon until Best Buy goes up, hopefully. Got some certificates and one expires next month so hoping it goes up soon.

Oh, and got Yakuza 6 today for $8 brand new in the greatest gaming haul I probably have ever had thanks to a friend. Still need to beat 5 before I start, but it's tempting to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

nowhat

I just finished the main story of 3. As a story itself it was fine, not my favourite thus far by any means, but perfectly serviceable. But oh boy is the pacing all over the place.

It's not that the game starts out slow -it does, but that's on par with the series. But instead of starting out slow and building up towards an epic climax, the pace goes up and down really erratically, even in very late chapters. This is especially evident when Kiryu returns to Okinawa. Shit's really about to go down, but Kiryu must do several quests with the kids that really feel out of place at that point. Had they been included in the first few chapters it would have been fine. Or if they'd be optional. But as it is, it feels more like filler instead of good content.

Also when it comes to narrative, the game is able to hold intrigue about who's done what about two thirds into the game. And then there's a huge exposition dump that basically clears most questions you've had so far, not exactly very good storytelling.

Mechanically it's more clunky than newer entries in the series, but that's understandable. And I realize it's just a port, so I'm not expecting for example refreshing the combat. But it would have been nice if for example the menus would be brought up to modern standards - the map sucks ass quite bad. Still, for 20€ (well, 60€ for all three) I can't complain, I have a lot of side content to clear so very good value for money.

Oh one more thing, there was a huge missed opportunity in the end battle:

They really should have licensed GnR's "You could be mine" to play in the background

(Yes, that was a terrible joke. I have zero regrets.)

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
A “very limited run” physical box set called The Yakuza Remastered Collection: Day One Edition, which includes Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, and Yakuza 5 on two discs, will be released alongside the digital release of Yakuza 5 on February 11, 2020.
I'll be waiting for that.

Kazza

Yakuza 4 is a good one, especially for those a little burnt out from playing Kiryu all the time. The new characters are all pretty good, although the story takes, imo, a not so great turn. It's still great overall though. Enjoy!

That whole "oh, it was only rubber bullets" thing was a little silly. It made Saejima's part of the story lose a lot of its impact. I really liked the idea of him being contrite for what he had done and knowing that he was going to get punished again, but still wanting to tie up all lose ends before he went.

Erdrick

I've recently returned to this set, playing 3 again for the first time in about a decade and quite enjoying the subtle changes over the original English release. It's been so long that I don't remember a lot of these parts anyway. Since I'm stuck at home, I'm living vicariously through Kiryu as he jaunts around Okinawa. It's definitely showing it's age, especially after coming off of Judgment this past summer, but I still love all the games of this series.

I bought the physical release in February. Feels great to have all the major main games of the series available on one system.

Now about Kenzan and Ishin...

Top Bottom