• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ys series are on sale on Steam; go grab one of the BEST Action RPG series ever

CrazyHal

When i'm not playing with souls, i'm playing with Monster Hunter. When i'm not playing with Monster Hunter, i'm playing with YS.

It's the holy trinity of action rpg's.

Myriadis

Got Origins too, I so far played some Oath and really liked it so far. Normal is still really hard though. Have to get past that soldier in these ruins where the priest is. How long is this game and origin? That ark game was over in like 5 hours.

Erheller

Origin is the best game in the series. Most replay value (3 characters!), best combat system (more refined version of Oath's), and the best bosses in the entire series.

Seven has the best soundtrack though

kagamin

Adol and Estelle <3:
latest

Need more convincing? In most of the series, killing enemies makes them explode in a shower of gore and body parts that bounce around everywhere.

That's how hard Adol hits.

RM8

I played a bit of Oath and Origin... And then I stopped. I liked them, but somehow they failed to hook me. And it's odd, because I like when RPGs revolve around gameplay and are not slow, narrative slogs. Will try to play... Origin again. They work perfectly with my xinput controllers too. And I agree with OP, Adol > that overdesigned borefest known as Cloud :p

I feel like I would have beat them already if they were on 3DS :x Falcom, why must you hate Nintendo's handhelds?

I remember playing Ys 3? on a Super Nintendo back in the day. My only real memories of that game are finding a spot I could farm enemies with rubber bands on the controller while I did something else and possibly a really awesome ending boss theme. I might check this out!

KiteGr

I played Ys Ark of Napistim (don't know what number that was) on PS2 back in the day.
I remember being very disappointed on the game's Leingh and instead of an anime Intro it had a badly voiced CG instead.

Instro

I bought most of them on Steam outside of Ark. Only one I've finished is Origin, and I got stuck on the last boss in Oath which I never got back to.

Eila

I remember playing Ys 3? on a Super Nintendo back in the day. My only real memories of that game are finding a spot I could farm enemies with rubber bands on the controller while I did something else and possibly a really awesome ending boss theme. I might check this out!

Did it have the spottiest hit detection? If so, you're absolutely right. Last boss was extremely hard on SNES because of that.
Although SNES Ys IV and V weren't the finest examples of Ys games either.

Its too bad Seven and Celceta aren't on steam. The Seven combat system is way better than the Napishtim combat system.

Only reason I'm still holding onto my Vita is for the next Ys game (and ZE3)

sörine

Banned
I played a bit of Oath and Origin... And then I stopped. I liked them, but somehow they failed to hook me. And it's odd, because I like when RPGs revolve around gameplay and are not slow, narrative slogs. Will try to play... Origin again. They work perfectly with my xinput controllers too. And I agree with OP, Adol > that overdesigned borefest known as Cloud :p

I feel like I would have beat them already if they were on 3DS :x Falcom, why must you hate Nintendo's handhelds?
I tried out Oath on my Shield Portable through streaming and it worked perfectly. Sounds like something that'd be up your alley.

I think that Wanderers from YS III (I hope that's the right title) was the first RPG I ever beat. I borrowed it from a friend who had it on SNES and played the Hell out of it.

It was either that or another SNES RPG, which I forget the name of.

I haven't played another YS game, though.

I've had the games on Steam and GOG for a while now, but only played I & II Chronicles because I knew it was built with keyboard play in mind. My 360 pad's coming in for Xmas, so how's a good time for digging into Napishtim.

RM8

sörine;190361336 said:
I tried out Oath on my Shield Portable through streaming and it worked perfectly. Sounds like something that'd be up your alley.
That fixes the form factor, but ideally I'd play them on the bus (or at the office, lol). This is the kind of game that I'd definitely prefer on a handheld. Felghana is on PSP, right? I have been thinking of re-buying a PSP, maybe I'll buy it then.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm gonna buy it.

Should I play Origins, or Oath, if I want my first game to be as impactful as possible?

For context, I played Dark Souls before Demon's Souls and I'm extremely grateful for that. Playing Dark Souls first made it seem wholly original and I was immensely impressed by the stuff that would have seemed rehashed had I played Demon's first.

I'd like something similar with Ys.

I'm gonna buy it.

Should I play Origins, or Oath, if I want my first game to be as impactful as possible?

For context, I played Dark Souls before Demon's Souls and I'm extremely grateful for that. Playing Dark Souls first made it seem wholly original and I was immensely impressed by the stuff that would have seemed rehashed had I played Demon's first.

I'd like something similar with Ys.

I think Oath in Felghana is better. You really can't go wrong with whichever one you play first, though (and I played Origin first).

Felghana has better stages; Origin's standard enemies are kind of weak, which leads to that game being a good deal more uneven. Origin might have slightly consistently better bosses, though, and the bosses are indisputably the high points of the games (they both have some of the best boss lineups of any game I've ever played). Felghana has something of an open world (although it's still an entirely linear game); Origin is entirely straightforward. Grab whichever sounds good to you; there's less of a gap between the games than there is between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think Oath in Felghana is better. You really can't go wrong with whichever one you play first, though (and I played Origin first).

Felghana has better stages; Origin's standard enemies are kind of weak, which leads to that game being a good deal more uneven. Origin might have slightly consistently better bosses, though, and the bosses are indisputably the high points of the games (they both have some of the best boss lineups of any game I've ever played). Felghana has something of an open world (although it's still an entirely linear game); Origin is entirely straightforward. Grab whichever sounds good to you; there's less of a gap between the games than there is between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Thanks for the advice. I'll grab Oath.

Paltheos

For a while now, Oath in Felghana has been teetering around my #1 spot for best action game ever. It's just that damn good. Challenging and fast-paced combat (that actually evolves per difficulty level outside of more damage/HP and AI), brilliant and intense soundtrack, and immaculate control.

If I had to raise objections, a couple intermediate stages aren't the spectacular level of the others, some of the generic enemies can get mobbish, and two of the bosses are unfair on the highest difficulty. I really don't care though. Buy Oath. Love Oath.

My other contender for #1 action game has been God of War II. But it's close. Some people prefer Origin over Oath. Origin is bigger in scope, but the controls and encounters aren't as precisely tuned as Oath imo, and I prefer Oath myself. Celceta is pretty fun too, but I find I prefer the single-character games more where Falcom polish what they make to a sheen.

I also find the art style a little generic. Like I've seen plenty of PC JRPGs with character designs like this. That said, I don't find it insufferable like other games, so I didn't mind it much. I still think the gameplay is ace.

Sophia

I really wish they would put the Ys 3 PS2 remake on Steam. I love me some 2D RPGs.

Go watch some gameplay videos of it; it's not particularly great. For whatever reason, the PS2 game doesn't have the screen scrolling in most areas where it should be.

Oath in Felghana is a much better remake, and if any versions of Ys 3 should come to Steam, it would be best if they were the PC Engine or Mega Drive versions.

Go watch some gameplay videos of it; it's not particularly great. For whatever reason, the PS2 game doesn't have the screen scrolling in most areas where it should be.

Oath in Felghana is a much better remake, and if any versions of Ys 3 should come to Steam, it would be best if they were the PC Engine or Mega Drive versions.

I agree that Oath is probably the better remake, and it is a fantastic game. I played through it around 5-6 times on the PSP, and plan on playing it again on PC.

I just have a soft spot for 2D RPGs (Popful Mail, Child of Light, Igavanias, Zelda 2, etc) and Ys 3 is still my favorite to this day. Even if it was a bad remake (it does look mediocre) I would still probably love it.

Sophia

I agree that Oath is probably the better remake, and it is a fantastic game. I played through the game around 5-6 times on the PSP, and plan on playing it again on PC.

I just have a soft spot for 2D RPGs (Popful Mail, Child of Light, Igavanias, Zelda 2, etc) and Ys 3 is still my favorite to this day. Even if it was a bad remake (it does look mediocre) I would still probably love it.

I mean.... I'd probably buy it out of morbid curiosity if it were cheap, but I'd rather have one of the other two versions. The Mega Drive version is very close to the PC-88 original in sound and graphics, and the PC-Engine version is extremely well balanced

I'm just glad Oath in Felghana has replaced the SNES version in everyone's minds. The PS2 version may be mediocre, but the SNES version could swear someone off gaming with how bad it is. ;_;

Ys shilling is always appreciated. Oath and Origin are my favorite Action RPGs out there by far. The music has stayed stuck in my head for years and the characters feel perfect in your hands against all those giant bosses and hordes of foes.

And of course if you love those and want some thing more traditional but with amazing world building, enjoyable characters and fresh writing, there's always Trails in the Sky and it's sequel Trails in the Sky Second chapter as well. The first game is on sale for 50% off.

Top Bottom