• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no "70+ metacritic" requirement for PS+, and there never was.

... people believe that Sony will only add games to PlayStation Plus if they score above 70 on metacritic. This is in spite of all evidence to the contrary, such as various games being added to PlayStation Plus which scored below 70 on metacritic.

Lol ... well that settles it then.

Alo0oy

Banned
Knack coming to PS+?

iBEdLUskP2UiJ.gif

I'm seriously shocked that so many of you are not aware of this "mandate". It's become a hot topic in lots of PS+ threads :lol

Megatron

Laziest OP ever?

Op makes a statement and in no way backs it up with any facts.

Maybe it is a rule and maybe it isn't, but the op has made a thread based completely on his opinion with no factual basis.

All you had to was make a list of all the sub-70 games and let us talk about it. You had one job, OP!

Daggoth

It's not made up. The first I heard of it was setting up my PS4 ... it was in the fine print of one of the SIGN UP FOR PS+ splash pages. Sep 2014, hadn't updated the firmware yet.

Thought it was absurd then, still do.

I'll see if I can replicate it tonight.

Laziest OP ever?

Op makes a statement and in no way backs it up with any facts.

Maybe it is a rule and maybe it isn't, but the op has made a thread based completely on his opinion with no factual basis.

All you had to was make a list of all the sub-70 games and let us talk about it. You had one job, OP!

My failure to put of a list of games in the OP hardly causes said list of games to cease to exist. As evidenced by the rest of the thread, it's not exactly a hard fact to verify.

Mainly, it's not about "the games," it's about the misconception. The games in and of themselves aren't relevant.

Megatron

My failure to put of a list of games in the OP hardly causes said list of games to cease to exist. As evidenced by the rest of the thread, it's not exactly a hard fact to verify.

Mainly, it's not about "the games," it's about the misconception. The games in and of themselves aren't relevant.

You just stated an opinion though. You have no facts at all to support you. I'm interested in seeing what a full list would look like. We've seen what, less than ten games get mentioned? Out of how many games given away on the service? 400? 500? Sounds like there have been some exceptions to the rule ( almost entirely vita games when there wasn't much of a pool to draw from) but given how few sub 70 score games have been released, it sure seems like Sony is keeping that in mind when they release games.

Daggoth

That simply says that more than one of the games available has a meta-score of 70 or higher. It doesn't say or imply that all of them do.

Personally, I'm glad there's no hard limit, because I'd hate for an overlooked gem to be locked out because reviews. Sometimes shitty games are actually kinda good. lol
I'm pretty sure that's what the PS4 signup page said as well.

Implying, you'll get a bunch of games per month, and at least one is "top rated" 70 or above. The rest can be below or above that number.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I've heard of this before, in fact, I heard about it on this very site. Isn't the vast majority of games released already over a 70 metacritic.

Wow I never heard of this really cool requirement before OP. I'll be sure to tell everyone that ps+ has a minimum 70% metacritic rating requirement!

Maybe I read too many PS+ threads :lol

Yeah I guess I don't look through those threads much. I've never heard of it and it seems like a stupid thing to assume.

How could a rumor like this persist!? Everyone must have forgot about Ratchet and Clank All 4 One being free for PS+ users for an extended amount of time.

Edit: I am a buffoon. Could have sworn that game had less than a 70.

playXray

I gotta say, I can't believe how many people haven't heard about this "requirement" previously. I've seen it mentioned on here, the PS forums and the PS blog many, many times over the years. Plus, the way it's worded by Sony implies that there is at least the aim of providing games with a metacritic of 70+. That said, I doubt many people thought this was an absolute rule that would prevent games from being on PS+ if the metacritic was below 70.

Roto13

You just stated an opinion though. You have no facts at all to support you. I'm interested in seeing what a full list would look like. We've seen what, less than ten games get mentioned? Out of how many games given away on the service? 400? 500? Sounds like there have been some exceptions to the rule ( almost entirely vita games when there wasn't much of a pool to draw from) but given how few sub 70 score games have been released, it sure seems like Sony is keeping that in mind when they release games.

Jesus fucking Christ, if it was a rule those "what less than ten games" wouldn't be on the service, ok?

I know you really want this rule to be real, to the point where you're a dick to people who live in the real world, but it's not.

Artorias

Banned
Is there a paragraph missing in the OP? I never thought it was a requirement to begin with, but your post basically says "People say this, its not true, so can you stop saying it?"

roytheone

When I bought a PlayStation plus card a year ago this was actually mentioned on the card (best rated games with an * explaining that it meant a metacritic of 70 +). I already knew that was bullshit back then.

JP

Never heard of this to be honest. It sounds a bit like one of those things that people say on here and it becomes true for some people. I suppose it's good to know that something that I've never heard doesn't exist, maybe.

This was definitely a common belief when people started talking about Knack coming to PS+

Always seemed a bit silly, especially with the PS4 having a small library of suitable games if it was real.

redcrayon

Seeing as several games have launched as PS+ titles, I don't think it's ever been an official policy.

I imagine they do understand that if they only put mediocre games up, people who mainly subscribe for the PS+ titles rather than online multiplayer (like me and lots of other Vita-only gamers) will soon not bother.

Footos22

To be fair, apart from certain games released the same day as they came to plus (Contrast, Secret Ponchos) There isnt any in recent memory that have been below 70

Thanks toythatkills.

I can't say I noticed people claiming this rule, but I do see tons of claims that Sony somehow "stopped trying" when it comes to PsPlus games since the launch of the PS4, which simply baffles me.

Edit: aaaaand then there's this sort of thing:

there might be such requirement for PlayStation Plus,
but what we have now is the IndieStation Plus service so....

JP

So did anybody here think the games had to be rated 70+? Maybe new threads should have to be rated 70+ from now on?

Top Bottom