• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief is 1080p on both PS4/Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoramA

To be clear, I'm the ony who made the tweet in the OP and never talked about Thief. I don't know how OnlySP came to that conclusion but I was talking about Tomb Raider which has been said on multiple ocasion in the last week that it was running at 1080p.

I already asked the guy from OnlySP and mods from here to take down the thread/articles since they are lies putting words into my mouth.

TLDR: Nothing to see here, move along.
That's some weird confusion.

Tobor

At some point, 3rd party devs will get XBox One games to run as good as PS4 games, but until they do, it's going to be funny & hilarious at how devs try to sidestep the issues.

When does this new, more powerful Xbox one hardware come out?

Chobel

To be clear, I'm the ony who made the tweet in the OP and never talked about Thief. I don't know how OnlySP came to that conclusion but I was talking about Tomb Raider which has been said on multiple ocasion in the last week that it was running at 1080p.

I already asked the guy from OnlySP and mods from here to take down the thread/articles since they are lies putting words into my mouth.

What a twist!

Tripon

And you base this assumption on what? That a power gap doesn't exist between the two? Because it does.

When does this new, more powerful Xbox one hardware come out?

Yes, its an assumption, and generalized assumption at that.

Yes, I know that the PS4 is a more powerful system, and that the XboX One has bottleneck issues entirely of its own making that causes games, in particular, 3rd party games to not run as well. Yes, I am very well aware of these things. My comment only meant that developers will eventually find a way to get it running 'close enough', and no not Albert Penello's version of 'close enough'.

But yes, 3rd party devs will eventually figure it out, there's too much money left off the table to not figure it out.

StoopKid

Injured_player_eating_popcorn.gif

Ein Bear

I find it strange how the trend appears to be leaning towards achieving resolution parity, and then having differences in framerate. You'd think that nailing the 'feel' of the game across platforms would be a higher priority than image quality

MercuryLS

Banned
Are we going to see a trend of 1080p/30fps on Xbox One and 1080p/60fps on PS4 this whole gen? If I can get 60fps for the majority of multi plats this gen on PS4 I will be very happy.

Guymelef

Edit: I only just now noticed that he was talking about Thief in the original tweet... I read too quickly and assumed he was talking about Tomb Raider since this is what everybody is talking about nowadays...dammit.

Oh God, this may be interesting.

Truespeed

At some point, 3rd party devs will get XBox One games to run as good as PS4 games, but until they do, it's going to be funny & hilarious at how devs try to sidestep the issues.

You would either need to be an incompetent developer or gimped the PS4 version on purpose for that to ever happen.

Dennis

Banned

Edit: I only just now noticed that he was talking about Thief in the original tweet... I read too quickly and assumed he was talking about Tomb Raider since this is what everybody is talking about nowadays...dammit.

What is going on?

GAF, I am confuse

That's interesting since there's no mention of Tomb Raider anywhere in here lol:

https://twitter.com/atPeteDodd/status/427187449622978560

antitrop

I find it strange how the trend appears to be leaning towards achieving resolution parity, and then having differences in framerate. You'd think that nailing the 'feel' of the game across platforms would be a higher priority than image quality

I agree, I think frame rate parity should be the priority. As a PC gamer, I always target 60fps and will adjust my IQ settings accordingly to achieve that.

That's interesting since there's no mention of Tomb Raider anywhere in there lol.

Yeah, I have no idea what he's talking about. He's clearly referencing Thief in the image. Where did Tomb Raider come from?

Mrbob

There is no secret sauce friend. The only way there will be parity is if developers choose not to push the ps4.

Crisium

The graphics are clearly not pushing the envelope. I think it can do 60fps on both consoles. Dishonored on PC also didn't break any graphic barriers, and it was easily maxed out by graphic cards similar to what is in the Xbone.

Tobor

When are people going to learn? Twitter is like playing with live ammo. Slow the fuck down and pay attention to what you're doing.

Finalizer

oh lawd

Think this thread just backfired in some folks' faces.

RetroStu

Banned
You would either need to be an incompetent developer or gimped the PS4 version on purpose for that to ever happen.

Thats under the assumption that every next gen game will be pushing both systems hard, they won't. There will be planty of games this gen that push neither console too hard meaning that they will be close on both systems.

Anyway i don't want to get into this discussion yet again, it goes on way too much on this forum and is boring as hell lol.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Maybe this is overly cynical, but resolution parity makes games look equal in promo screens and videos (which are almost always captured/published at 30fps or less). As such, it's the savvy business move. Disappointing for everyone who really cares how games feel, though.

antitrop

Oh come on, the Xbox was like 2 to 3 times more powerful than PS2, not 40% more powerful. I think people expecting a 'Tomb Raider' situation with most next gen games are in for a tough time this gen.
I wasn't making a 1:1 power gap comparison (although I find your claim of the Xbox being 3x more powerful than the PS2 to be questionable), just an analogy.

bidguy

Banned

dude you just made both of us look like idiots

Fascinating%20Sloth.gif

And I was getting excited too...

Skeff

Looks that way. If Cadieux wants to go on the record here as them (Thief) both being 1080p, that'd be swell.

or 900p, whichever is true.

Or He could back slowly out of the thread to avoid any more complications whilst noting that he has posted a statement regarding the confusion of the tweets.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
dude you just made both of us look like idiots

You managed it yourself pretty well. Mortimer has a good record. Nothing pseudo about him.

His comment about expectations for X1 resolutions is the same shit hundreds of other GAFfers would say any day of the week. It's got nothing to do with insider knowledge.

gogosox8

Lol at the no comment on the fps. I'm going to assume that its 30 fps on the xbox and 60 fps on the ps4 until I hear otherwise the way things have been going lately.

hawk2025

This brings up a larger conversation, though.

Isn't it a bid maddening that some publishers and/or devs (no idea who's responsible here) would rather gimp their games in the eyes of the consumer than come out and say what's actually going on?

I guess I'm just baffled that we didn't find out that Tomb Raider ran at TWICE the framerate we were led to believe it did one day before the game was out. How can that possibly be good for sales, for hype, for getting word on the game out there?

Is it really better to appease one side of the customer base by implying parity instead of riling up the other half towards a superior product?

Makes little sense to me.

RulkezX

Yes, its an assumption, and generalized assumption at that.

Yes, I know that the PS4 is a more powerful system, and that the XboX One has bottleneck issues entirely of its own making that causes games, in particular, 3rd party games to not run as well. Yes, I am very well aware of these things. My comment only meant that developers will eventually find a way to get it running 'close enough', and no not Albert Penello's version of 'close enough'.

But yes, 3rd party devs will eventually figure it out, there's too much money left off the table to not figure it out.

And again the assumption the development environment on the PS4 won't also mature and that devs won't also squeeze more out of it as well (whilst devs use magic to some how bridge a 600GF gap )

If that's the case, then we can stop here and postpone freakouts over Thief's multiplatform differences for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom