• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This book is like the Hunger Games, if the Hunger Games was super racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SriK

Haha the writing is almost as offensively bad as the concept itself. Like, here's a random sentence:

Despite her rat-like existence in the Combs, a network of dark, shadowy underground tunnels, where civilization had burrowed to avoid the deadly levels of solar radiation, Eden would undoubtedly die from the Heat, just like her mother had.

How do I introduce all these events??? Uhh okay let me just work them all into one sentence and hope no one notices. I'm such a pearl of a writer!

tmarques said:
Am I to understand blacks in the future are stupid enough to be taken in by black face?

This is the future where they have UNDERGROUND HOVERCRAFTS, MATE-RATES, and HOLOGRAM LIFE-BANDS WHICH LET YOU TRAVEL ANYWHERE IN THE PAST BUT ONLY WITHIN YOUR MIND, so I'm assuming blackface technology has gotten more advanced as well. Maybe they have special nanobot creams that make your face darker and your lips bigger, so that you can truly look like one of them.

Haha the writing is almost as offensively bad as the concept itself. Like, here's a random sentence:

How do I introduce all these events??? Uhh okay let me just work them all into one sentence and hope no one notices. I'm such a pearl of a writer!

This is the future where they have UNDERGROUND HOVERCRAFTS, MATE-RATES, and HOLOGRAM LIFE-BANDS WHICH LET YOU TRAVEL ANYWHERE IN THE PAST BUT ONLY WITHIN YOUR MIND, so I'm assuming blackface technology has gotten more advanced as well. Maybe they have special nanobot creams that make your face darker and your lips bigger, so that you can truly look like one of them.

So wait - they have all of this, but they can't come up with something to increase melanin production or block UV radiation? Oh, what am I saying. The Heat probably came so fast that all the rich white people interested in not dying would have instantly lost power, and the power hungry coal regime that rose from the ashes had it in their best interests not to develop it.

G-Fex

So wait - they have all of this, but they can't come up with something to increase melanin production or block UV radiation? Oh, what am I saying. The Heat probably came so fast that all the rich white people interested in not dying would have instantly lost power, and the power hungry coal regime that rose from the ashes had it in their best interests not to develop it.

Trying to make sense out of this EmCee is like trying to make sense out of Highlander 2

Leeness

Apparently this is why the main guy becomes half-jaguar.

The scientists are experimenting with jaguars for some reason, to help ~pearls~ from dying in the sun, and then everything explodes and the main guy becomes a half-cat.

Yeah.

They say it takes a village to raise a child. The same analogy may apply to creating a novel, which is another kind of birth.

They say that explaining your self-explanatory metaphors is insulting and clumsy. This same warning may apply to handling race in a stupid fashion, which is another kind of careless insult.

Eden slumped back in her chair with a heavy sigh. I'm a stone in a cool, dark cave.

In the writing "biz" (business) this is what we call a simile. Eden thinks about a stone in a dark cave, because she's a precious stone in the midst of darkness (black people [I shouldn't write things]).

Her mother had pointed to a pile of bleached bones.

-We must be careful, daughter.

The message was clear: this is where you'll end up if you don't obey. All Pearls, the racist term for whites, feared the light.

Then her mother had pointed to a death's head, then to a plaque that read "MEMENTO MORI," then to a tombstone, then said You will die. The message was clear, but in case you didn't understand we should also explain that Pearls were afraid of this, because they were white and people were racist against them.

SriK

I'm imagining all the white people waking up and walking outside one day, and then 90% of them just suddenly drop dead while the evil black gangsters of Los Angeles laugh maniacally. That would be way too subtle for this book, though, so I'm imagining she did something like "the black people march the white people to the death camps, and by that I mean force them to go outside to the local Giant." I hope in the sequel Eden or whatever her name is discovers evidence of the secret White Holocaust perpetuated by Emperor Barry H. Obama.

Leeness said:
Apparently this is why the main guy becomes half-jaguar.

The scientists are experimenting with jaguars for some reason, to help ~pearls~ from dying in the sun, and then everything explodes and the main guy becomes a half-cat.

Yeah.

So wait, is this her father's GRAND EXPERIMENT that she talks about? Jaguars?

the pdf disallows copy and paste and so i'm not gonna retype this last part but apparently the heroine's father was so smart on intelligence tests that they made him the head scientist and got her a job as a researcher too. and she's one of only three people to understand how his genius work will save the planet.

to recap: her dad "despite" being white got a job as boss over all the black people because of his natural intelligence, and his daughter got a job out of nepotism but everyone looks at her funny. even in the dystopian racist nightmare the white heroine still benefits from privilege and will save the world

Atrus

Gold Member
Everybody has an open chance to broach subjects in the way of their choosing, but the manner in which this is framed screams racism, either consciously or subconsciously.

It turns out that a person's skin color is so ingrained into their psyche that when radiation affects survival rates on the basis of melanin, all of society has to be re-purposed to adapt for when the colored folks gain power.

Realistically, the fairer skinned ones would likely be in places of higher position and power even though it may be lethal to be one. The fact that solar radiation still affects people with higher levels of melanin effectively emphasizes a society where people would try to shun the sun and order the social strata accordingly; the colored folk being tasked with outdoor labor while the fairer skins get tasked with indoor labor. If the economy is anything like ours now, it would then preference white color jobs over blue collar ones in terms of pay.

Book should be popular with the Stormfront folk though since it seems like it preys on their fears and fantasies.

CorvoSol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victoria-foyt/interracial-relationships_b_1312303.html

The author talks about the book, I like this bit

Not only does she cast doubt on black people being readers, but she pulls the "my best friend is black" and "the get over it " double combo.

Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous to me. I also want to point out how terrible I think it is for the driving force behind a heroine of a YA novel's actions to be, quite literally, GETTING FUCKED. I mean, what? She sets out on a quest to make black men want to fuck her? Is this the kind of stuff that young women like to read? Because that was like, the goal in Twilight, too, wasn't it? When I was a kid, the hero's goal was usually finding his destiny or learning the value of respect and stuff. If he got laid on the way, that was cool, too, but it wasn't usually his MAIN GOAL.

Maybe I'm out of hand here, but it simply seems like the preposterous icing on a cake that's already too hard to swallow.

iammeiam

According to the Oh No They Didn't comments, the rest of the book plays out like this (spoiler-tagged so we can all enjoy the wonderful color of coal):

The coal guy she thinks loves her is in fact a terrorist, and organizes an attempt to blow up her father's lab. So then the rich guy who's funding the experiments has the dad inject him with the cure serum stuff, which is how he becomes a Beast Man, and then he and the main white chick run away to the rain forest together and eventually stop hating each other. I think this is when she rides him. Some people who speak Spanish show up? So I guess living outside isn't as deadly as everyone thinks?

It turns out the main girl looks like beast-man's dead wife, who he'd had an albino baby with. Man and woman fall in love, shocker, and the albino baby winds up injected with jaguar-snake-bird DNA too to make it more immunity resistant. And then the book ends with the main girl deciding to go furry too.

I still really want to read this trainwreck. It sounds so awful.

Slayven

I remember Flashpoint. I always LOVE how Africa is always just, "that black continent". Whenever a story or a movie takes place there, it's always just "Africa", and there's some little black shirtless kid there just so ya know, yeah guys we're in Africa. You never see a story take place in "Asia" or "North America". No, Africa is just this giant, homogenous place from the fuckin' Lion King.

Nice cover, too.

Killer monkeys who rule the entire continent of Africa.

I imagine there were no black people working at DC who looked twice at any of this shit.
I been thinking of going a blog titled "You must not have minority friends or coworkers" .

Cyan

Banned
Why are these girls all lined up outside a bookstore at 11PM? It's not the latest Harry Potter or Twilight novel; it's a new bestseller for young adults that has tongues wagging over its controversial use of race.

In "Save the Pearls" from Victoria Foyt, a far flung future sees a society in which ultraviolet radiation from the destruction of the ozone layer causes darker skinned peoples to be healthier and placed in positions of power. Lighter skinned peoples are lower on the social rungs, with whites, or "pearls," on the bottom. Those who cannot have children by the age of 22 are cut off from government services, with "coals" (or blacks) having the highest rate of reproduction and "pearls" at the bottom. Foyt maintains the premise merely turns the table on standard concepts of racism. Critics believe that it's subverting young minds.

"This is astonishing," says Miranda Harper, a mother of 3 who has come to protest the book opening. Harper, who is black, says that the book is the latest incarnation of old racist ideas. "It's just miscegenation fears all over again."

Many readers don't agree.

"I think this book is, like, a real good look at what, like, things are actually happening and going to happen," said one 16 year old girl who refused to be named. "Like, we have a black president, y'know? So it's not like things are bad for black people. And Russel is the only black guy in our class but all the other girls want to go out with him because he's really funny, like, Mellisa says she made out with him last week."

"Skank," she added.

"I think the political correctness police are afraid that their double standards are being exposed. They're sexualizing our children and saying that blacks are sexier," said one middle aged man who enjoys young adult novels. "When Eden [the protagonist] and Bramford [her black boyfriend] engage in biblical relations... It... it really... It makes you think. Excuse me."

The debate has gone beyond the bookstore and to a national stage.

"We could not believe the content of the book," said Shelinda McCormick of the Southern Poverty Law Center. McCormick, who is black, went on to say, "Young adult fiction is one of the fastest growing areas of modern literature. The ideas we pass onto our next generation are important. If we tell them that blacks are 'beast like,' then will it be any surprise if they engage in racist thought later in life?"

Some public figures are defending the book however. Former Governor Sarah Palin tweeted a picture of her and her husband Todd holding newly purchased copies of the book. Included with the picture was the message, "you go sister victoria showing the sex/racist lib media whos boss. loved romance scnes ;)"

Palin's tweet sparked a firestorm of controversy, with celebrities both condemning and praising the former VP candidate.

"yo sarah i loved that part too. lets start a book club to discuss it," responded Glen Rice in a reply tweet. Rice, who is black, is a former NBA star.

At broadcast time, Sand Dollar Press, the book's publisher, refused to comment.

For NBC, this is Anne Curry.

citizenkaneapplause.gif

the power hungry coal regime that rose from the ashes

Oh shit, suddenly it all makes sense!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! WOW.

I'm all for people turning the tables on how things really are in reality. That's cool and I believe it'is important in helping others see how bad things could be for them. But this turns the table over and snaps it in two. Now white people are the ones suffering and feeling oppression. Okay, cool. It's a good mental exercise. But instead of black people simply being the oppressors and of privilege. Their "Jungle" characteristics are played up and they are seen as beastly and primal in the men, and voluptuous and slutty in the women. I'm not sure if she just failed at writing or if she even realizes what she's doing. Very few black people view white people as anything other than human or as being worse/better than any other group of people.

Yet here it is clear that even when black people are "superior". They are still inferior intellectually and overall as human. They are something less evolved and less advanced.

I'm writing something "similar" to this based on my own life experiences, but this just makes my jaw hit the floor in its absurdity and failure to view black people as also human. It seems like she had good intentions, but the imagery is downright archaic and distasteful. It's like if someone wrote a book about gay people being the majority(I don't even) and painted gay people as overly promiscuous, rapists and all that bullshit. Failing to recognize that at their core, gay people are also human and have all the same problems. It's ridiculous.

rekameohs

Banned
In the writing "biz" (business) this is what we call a simile. Eden thinks about a stone in a dark cave, because she's a precious stone in the midst of darkness (black people [I shouldn't write things]).

That's a metaphor, fool. There ain't no "like" or "as" up in this biatch. What are you, some kind of COTTON?!

akira28

she ripped off George Clinton's Cosmic Slop anyway. And not even doing a good job of making it her own. Oh look, beast-man. *Original content.*

Dr.Acula

Banned
According to the Oh No They Didn't comments, the rest of the book plays out like this (spoiler-tagged so we can all enjoy the wonderful color of coal):

The coal guy she thinks loves her is in fact a terrorist, and organizes an attempt to blow up her father's lab. So then the rich guy who's funding the experiments has the dad inject him with the cure serum stuff, which is how he becomes a Beast Man, and then he and the main white chick run away to the rain forest together and eventually stop hating each other. I think this is when she rides him. Some people who speak Spanish show up? So I guess living outside isn't as deadly as everyone thinks?

It turns out the main girl looks like beast-man's dead wife, who he'd had an albino baby with. Man and woman fall in love, shocker, and the albino baby winds up injected with jaguar-snake-bird DNA too to make it more immunity resistant. And then the book ends with the main girl deciding to go furry too.

Holy shit.

Reminds me of this: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e07_1251153180

fallagin

xvMLY.jpg

No words. Just none.

ReiGun

In the future, even being a furry is preferable to being dark skinned...

Ain't this a....

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Jesus Christ.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep

I stopped reading at
terrorist
, in the possible event that I might want to read it myself.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This is so ridiculous in it's offensiveness it's hard to even get legitimately upset..

From that goodreads link:

This 17 year old white girl gives me hope for the future. Good on you, white girl!
Man, that post is devastating. That girl went IN. So many great points...

Victoria Foyt is an embarrassment of the highest magnitude.

TheOGB

Banned
the tears i have in my eyes from reading this thread are most unlike any tears ive ever shed before
This... The book and everything coming out of the author's mouth is such a clusterfuck of horrible nonsense. I mean--

the pdf disallows copy and paste and so i'm not gonna retype this last part but apparently the heroine's father was so smart on intelligence tests that they made him the head scientist and got her a job as a researcher too. and she's one of only three people to understand how his genius work will save the planet.

to recap: her dad "despite" being white got a job as boss over all the black people because of his natural intelligence, and his daughter got a job out of nepotism but everyone looks at her funny. even in the dystopian racist nightmare the white heroine still benefits from privilege and will save the world
oh

In the future, even being a furry is preferable to being dark skinned...

Ain't this a....
my

GOD

My first thought was Chris Bosh
4tCIK.gif

The youtube channel is so cot damn ridiculous.

Here's an online dating profile from a "coal" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMZ4MEwj_MU

What in the hell?

On a side note, ECG's post was brilliant. I really loved the "who is black" line being repeated, I notice the media uses that trick a lot. Sickening.
first sentence of video description said:
Hey boys, she's got one thing on her mind... and it's not cooking!
from the website said:
I'm Eden Newman. In six months, I'll be 18.
If we don't save the Pearls before that, I'm doomed.
Being a Pearl is the most horrifying nightmare of all - find out why and help save me from The Heat!
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS WOMAN

I am not no damn coal >:|
Though I do like the prospect of my mate rate being in the 90s

CorvoSol

Mate rate sounds like a term you'd see in a dating sim.

"Congratulations Ichiro! Now that you've joined the Kawaii Yankees Desuu~ your Mate * Rate has gone up to 90%!"

Ikael

This books reeks of white victimism, but if they would have liked to approach the whole "racism is a universal issue and it could encompass races other than black" angle they could have looked at, say, the Mugabe's Zimbawe (colonial backslash is a b*tch) rather than the freaking Hunger Games. It seems that the author lacks the chops, sensibility and culture necessary to tackle such an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom