• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This book is like the Hunger Games, if the Hunger Games was super racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the whole beastly thing it's obvious she chose pearls because "pearls before swine." She's an idiot who thinks she's poetic.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, if only Dwayne McDuffie were still around to see this shit.

Looks like it's time for someone to make the all-black super hero team mentioned in the Boondocks comic. It has to have one white girl with a big ol' nappy fro' though.

Comic, animated series or live-action show?

KevinCow

Banned
But black people don't read! The author of this book told me so!

Conceivably, if the book had not reached the African-American community of readers, if such a category still exists, perhaps there might be some backlash.

She has to have meant something else, right? She meant something else and just worded it poorly. I can't figure out what it might be, but surely even the chick who wrote this stupid racist book wouldn't say something that blatantly racist, right?

Also that comment on good reads had an excellent point:

jet
onyx
obsidian
lava
hematite

Also there are black pearls so what does the author make of that.

If the white people were really lower rung they'd be called "shitty white pebbles" that people use in their rock gardens, sheetrock (which isn't even really stone) or some other crap stone.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Also that comment on good reads had an excellent point:

jet
onyx
obsidian
lava
hematite

Also there are black pearls so what does the author make of that.

Nothing, because the author is a fucking idiot.

Man even when the protagonist of a book is black she's actually white. And I bet this book would be really funny if you were high as shit.

thetrin

"Uncle Tom Pearls" is the best phrase to come out of this thread.

Kreed

I'm just waiting for the morning/evening news shows to pick up this story. I can already imagine Brian Williams voice:

"We begin tonight discussing a new book that is flying off book shelves nation wide and is on pace to dethrone Fifty Shades of Grey as the "must have book" of the year. It is being called the new "The Hunger Games" by some and HBO is already considering picking the series up for a late night TV series. But it's the "shades" being discussed in this new book that are already stirring up controversy among the African American community. We turn to Ann Curry with more on that story..."

Slayven

Man, if only Dwayne McDuffie were still around to see this shit.

6fxJW.png

thetrin

I was so tempted to post that memo.

thetrin

Please tell me that's fake.

It's totally real. Dwayne McDuffie wrote it to show the obvious racist depictions of popular black heroes in Marvel's comics.

(you should read it again)

Is there something white that is seen in a traditionally derogatory manner?

I was trying to think of a hierarchy where white would suck and black would be awesome. There are black objects that have positive connotations, but I'm seriously struggling to think of something white that has historically and universally negative connotations.

albinos. Hollywood always makes them evil, scheming bastards.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
At least he attempted to break the stereotype

Static.jpg

or ok, maybe just kinda-sorta break it

Static Shock was actually (at least I thought) a really good African American superhero, at least as he's depicted in the cartoon. Great character overall and the few times they did address race issues it was tasteful and well done. I know he has a comic as well and he's a character that I really wish had taken off. I want to see more of him.

Static Shock was actually (at least I thought) a really good African American superhero, at least as he's depicted in the cartoon. Great character overall and the few times they did address race issues it was tasteful and well done. I know he has a comic as well and he's a character that I really wish had taken off. I want to see more of him.

Same. You have no idea how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom