• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Sony handheld device patent looks familiar

Oh we're doing that thing where Nintendo invented everything again.

Jlp2dPi.jpg

Well they don't invent but they do innovate XD

2006 had a fully modular, split design controller that also worked as a 2 handed traditional one. It's clear what type of ideas they had in mind.

Has everyone really forgotten about the Razor Edge?

rzr_edge_ctrlwtab_v01a.png
Actually no, some of us do remember the Razer Edge, The Shield, the Aikun or any other gaming tablets.

If people reason about it, the Edge put things into perspective why the Wii U was engineered like it was. The Edge in itself weight a lot and had a short battery life, when adding the controller accesorie the device weighted several pounds and was even bigger. In this sense the product had a very limited functionality as away from home portable device.

So in that sense the Wii U earlier achieved a similar functionality to the Edge and did so withotuh compromising the controls for traditional games in a more ergonomic and price accesible way.

ViolentP

old news, sadly.

Sony may jump again into the handheld market depending on what happens to Nintendo.

I sincerely hope so. Even with the light library, Vita has probably been my favorite handheld.

EDIT: Excluding the SP. That shit was fire.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does...does this mean we might get a vita 2 after all? Still not buying it tho LOL

Of course Sony patents all kinds of things at all times just in case, but its still funny

crinale

I think this patent is about more controller rather than portable itself.
That being said it also implies that controller is for the handheld..

In any case, I think Sony going for another PSP seems quite unlikely..

muteki

It almost looks like each side of the controller swivels or pivots, which is something I've wanted them to do since the first PS controller. No idea what you could use it for though.

AudioEppa

This looks like a way better and comfortable design then Vita. I would super consider getting this if it actually happens.

What. Is. This.

Fake?

Sony still thinking about dipping in the handheld field?

Patent was filed 3 years after the Vita was launched. When was it declared dead again??

Should I get my hopes up for a Vita successor?

I don't understand why they would just decide to leave the dedicated gaming handheld market. With the right marketing, power and control input parity it would flesh out their lineup well.

"Still not buying it lol"

Why not?

Lol vita is dead memory card prices second job no gamezz

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Still not buying it lol"

Why not?

I am not really into handhelds at all. I''ve only ever had a GBC, GBA and PSP in my entire life. The expensive anti consumer memory card situation was even more of a reason though.

I never saw a need for any other handheld platforms when i got older and generally dislike playing games on a small screen.

I bought a PSTV just cause it was basically a TV version of vita. On the positive i got access to a library i otherwise would not have gotten to play in additon to being able to play PSP games and have another outlet for my PSN account. on the other hand, it was a halfhearted concept that probably should not have existed alongside the regular vita.

Since my favorite games got PS4 ports anyway, your not going to buy a PSTV for those

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
All of this could have been avoided if only the Nintendo Playstation deal never fell through and they were merged into one device back in the day. LOL.

mindatlarge

If Nintendo catches fire with the Switch, it wouldn't surprise me to see something like this come out of Sony. I'd buy it, especially if it had HDMI out.

Remember when people legitimately thought that Sony was going to announce "Trinity" AKA Vita 2? Good times.

Anyway, that patent looks like a neat idea but I don't currently trust Sony with controllers. I'm imagining those two halves would last about 5 hours max before needing a charge.

MilkyJoe

These examples really show just how much Nintendo nailed the industrial and aesthetic design of the Switch. It's a truly innovative product.

Well it's not really innovative, anymore than a Ford focus is anymore innovative than a Ford Cortina. It's just a better product doing the same thing, better. I have the middle one, you can plug an HDMI cable into it to "dock" it, if you wish.

Not that I ever play it, it's shit.

Looks like that Nintendo paranoia was real.

Sony always reminds me of the Rene Belloq to Nintendo's Indiana Jones. "Nintendo. Again we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away."

I actually wish Sony was releasing something like this later this fall. If for nothing, at least just for some people to understand how unrealistic and flawed their ideas are of what "powerful hardware" means in the hybrid console space. With Nintendo being the only ones, certain folks don't quite know where to set realistic expectations, I believe.

Some want 1080p screen, near PS4 power, 8 CPU cores, hundreds of GB of storace, 8 GB RAM, with several hrs battery life, all at $199.99 tops, in a device that can fit comfortably into your pocket. Obviously, I threw several individual requests/comments together for greater effect, but the point is the same; Having another hybrid system may actually bring some much-needed perspective adjustment.

I dont see This stupid vita 2 thats actually a portable ps4 with 14 minutes of battery and runs at 116 degrees actually happening

The switch is actually happening, is a home console, and it's nothing but compromises for the sake of portability.

Caelus

It's funny how many NX mockups and tablet-with-side-controls were devised and looked horrible, yet the Switch itself looks sleek and is supposedly very comfortable. Looking at all these gaming tablets makes me appreciate the Switch's design more.

jax

Banned
Suddenly, me saying Sony better have a Vita 2 in the pipeline doesn't seem so crazy, huh? Funny how that works.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I think this looks dope tbh

Top Bottom