• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Sony handheld device patent looks familiar

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I wonder if anything will come of this. The design looks kind of ugly, but patent designs ultimately mean very little.

Looks like a tablet controller although I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 is a Switch like device.

This would only happen if Sony was willing to let the PS5's least powerful mode (and what developers would likely have to aim for as their baseline) be weaker than the PS4 Pro (and potentially the PS4, depending on where mobile tech is in a few years). But I could see Sony experimenting with stuff to emulate Switch-like functionality without necessarily stuffing all the tech into the handheld, like they did with Remote Play.

brad-t

Well it's not really innovative, anymore than a Ford focus is anymore innovative than a Ford Cortina. It's just a better product doing the same thing, better. I have the middle one, you can plug an HDMI cable into it to "dock" it, if you wish.

Not that I ever play it, it's shit.

It's a common misconception that "innovative" means something wholly original or unique when it's more about bringing new ideas and methodology to an existing product category. I think the Switch qualifies, if only because it's packed in way more functionality than any of its predecessors in a much more elegant design. It's the first application of a this type of "hybrid" device that feels like a fully-formed product.

555x385.jpg

Sony checking in on their investments I see!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This isnt any copy.

Patent is from 2015, long before the switch was shown.

If anything, this means, along with some other devices, that the tablet with controls concept isn't exactly innovative by itself.

See, I can't tell if you're joking or not because of how much a Nintendo apologist you are.

lol.... Let me guess: You have no idea what you're taking about. Right?

It was actually sarcasm...should I have put the [/s] in a spoiler box?

Also I'm trying to wrap my head around what a "Nintendo apologist" is.

One's preference shouldn't get in the way of reason, however.

Completely true. I'll go out of my way to praise non-Nintendo stuff when I experience it. I have a rich history of experiences spanning decades and every major brand. Regardless of the timing which gives Sony cover here, they do have a reputation for copying Nintendo.

AmyS

There is no way Sony is making another handheld. They don't have enough developers to support PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 in 2019 AND a handheld which would be pushing 1tflop of performance.

Not to even mention PSVR.

Agreed, Sony isn't making another handheld of any sort in the foreseeable future,.

I doubt Sony's making another handheld ever again. They're efforts should be concentrated on the console and only the console, that's their strength.

Peterc

Oh we're doing that thing where Nintendo invented everything again.

Jlp2dPi.jpg

I don't think it's fair to say this, it was the same story with the wii. Nintendo has invent allot for the gaming industry, that doesn't mean the idea isn't used somewhere else before.

I would say Nintendo invented the way the switch works, it's not about the detachable controller. It's about a handheld device, not a mobile device and:
- Can be hook on the tv to play and get extra power
- That can play aaa games
- That has HD rumble inside
- That can be detached to play with 2 players sideway
- That has motions / distance sensors
- Possible extra nice add-ons to bring a new experience

If Sony would copy this "Package" they are doing the same like they did with move. We know they have a long history, we don't have to defend it.
Sony and MS is all about the power and making games more realistic, better network/ai..., Nintendo is about bringing new/better game experience.

And thats ok.

jax

Banned
Oh we're doing that thing where Nintendo invented everything again.

Jlp2dPi.jpg

I guess so

original.jpg

Because a gaming PC and a smartphone are both game consoles now. Neat.

Sony checking in on their investments I see!

One day it's "PORTABLE HYBRID CONSOLE? DUMB" and then when Sony does it "IT'S THE HOLY GRAIL OF GAMING".

You can't make this shit up.

I don't think it's fair to say this, it was the same story with the wii. Nintendo has invent allot for the gaming industry, that doesn't mean the idea isn't used somewhere else before.

I would say Nintendo invented the way the switch works, it's not about the detachable controller. It's about a handheld device, not a mobile device and:
- Can be hook on the tv to play and get extra power
- That can play aaa games
- That has HD rumble inside
- That can be detached to play with 2 players sideway
- That has motions / distance sensors
- Possible extra nice add-ons to bring a new experience

Great post.

jax

Banned
Hilariously enough, Sony knows the Switch is going to sell very well and must be shitting bricks if they're pushing this patent through.

Watch it come out and support just die off immediately. Vita means life, right? So many great PS move games too.

Fat4all

Banned
Hilariously enough, Sony knows the Switch is going to sell very well and must be shitting bricks if they're pushing this patent through.

Watch it come out and support just die off immediately. Vita means life, right? So many great PS move games too.

woof

what an awfully hateful post

Yep, they're shitting bricks alright. The PS4 has been an abject failure.

jax

Banned
woof

what an awfully hateful post

Fanboy wars give me a headache. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all equally bring something great to the table. The same people who dismissed the Switch are now praising Sony for their "innovative" patentry. If this product indeed does release, I'll be the first person in line to buy it, but saying that it's 100% not a Switch ripoff is hyperbole.

Yep, they're shitting bricks alright. The PS4 has been an abject failure.

There's millions of people who haven't bought a modern game console. That could realistically change in a few weeks.

qko

You really couldn't separate those controllers, could you? This would pretty much be designed to be a personal handheld since trying to "undock" the controllers and use them sideways would be extremely uncomfortable

#Trinity.

Sony gonna show Nintendo how it's done.

I might end up great hardware, no way would I buy another Sony handheld; they dropped Vita like a stone in an ocean.

It would need full support of PS4 to even have me consider - no, remoteplay is not good enough.

Top Bottom