• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Clearlake enters w/ purchase agreement [OP Update 2]

List of THQ IPs (correct me if I'm wrong or something is missing):

- Warhammer (owned by Games Workshop)
- WWE Series (owned by World Wrestling Entertainment Inc.)
- SpongeBob SquarePants, and other Nick Toons titles (owned by Nickelodeon)
- de Blob (co-produced by Syfy)
- Metro 2033 (partnership with 4A Games and Glukhovsky)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (now owned by Bethesda)
- Red Faction
- Homefront
- Darksiders
- Frontlines: Fuel of War
- Saints Row
- Full Spectrum Warrior
- Company of Heroes
- uDraw
- Destroy All Humans!

List of THQ Studios:

- Relic Entertainment in Vancouver;
- Vigil Games in Austin, Texas;
- Volition in Champaign, Illinois;
- THQ Studio Montreal in Montreal, Quebec.

List of upcoming games:

- Metro: Last Light (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows)
- Company of Heroes 2 (Windows)
- South Park: The Stick of Truth (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Windows)
- Saints Row 4 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows)
- WWE '14 (Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, Wii U)

What about Homeworld? Who owns that? I'd really like to see a new Homeworld game but it seems unlikely, even if THQ was fine.

It depends on who's in charge of pulling those strings now. Clearlake probably has no interest in putting the titles on sale.

It depends on the view they take, if they think getting the franchise into more people's hands will raise the value of the asset then there is a good chance they will go ahead with big discounts.

What matters right now is getting THQ's assets into a saleable condition, Darksiders is not a saleable asset today, but give some fanfare and put it on sale. Announce that the franchise has shipped 4m units including digital sales and suddenly it becomes an attractive proposition for a medium sized publisher like Square or WB. Something they can buy on the cheap ($10-12m) with a fanbase to sell to.

Here's a more appropriate salute:

EFLLP.gif

AzaK

Bummer.

Can someone give me the "Front page" blurb of what happened to them? Has it been just a string of bad decisions or what? They've been around for donkey's years, so it's just weird to think of them going down.

You would be surprised how powerful the bankruptcy code is and whether these kinds of clauses can hold up.

I would guess most of these licenses that THQs held are no longer valid, but again I do not have the contracts in front of me to confirm that. Depends on if they are executory or not.

Protome

Bummer.

Can someone give me the "Front page" blurb of what happened to them? Has it been just a string of bad decisions or what? They've been around for donkey's years, so it's just weird to think of them going down.

They released uDraw, a game bundled with a drawing tablet, on Wii. It was a surprise hit, made them a crapload of money.
They invested that money and more into releasing the game on PS3 and 360 expecting the same/better return. It bombed, they never quite recovered.

Bummer.

Made uDraw on Wii, was successful. Decided to make it for PS3/360 and it bombed. The uDraw tablets are now sitting in the landfill with old ET carts.

Also, THQ decided to transition into AAA development without having a proper amount of time set aside to do it. That kind of transition should take years as a publisher needs to build a set of franchises and studios to cope with it, but THQ tried to do it overnight and spent a lot of money on it. Coupled with uDraw HD it pretty much killed them.

Sid

They released uDraw, a game bundled with a drawing tablet, on Wii. It was a surprise hit, made them a crapload of money.
They invested that money and more into releasing the game on PS3 and 360 expecting the same/better return. It bombed, they never quite recovered.
PS3 and 360 market is not the one for such stuff,how did they
misread it this badly?

Bummer.

Bad decisions and management led to the bust. Biggest financial bust is said to be uDraw.

THQ was going to die with or without uDraw. It just accelerated the end. They were never quite able to become Ubisoft and find their one or two big franchises to save them like Ubi did with Assassin's Creed. Of course THQ might have been able to vastly restructure, but I think that would have also just been a delay. From an outsider's perpective it seems like Sega is running on borrowed time as well.

PS3 and 360 market is not the one for such stuff,how did they
misread it this badly?

Shitty management. Absolutely terrible decision making process. Any idiot could have told them that releasing uDraw on PS3 and 360 was bound to fail, but to then produce the expensive tablets in such large quantities is something reserved for the most idiotic of managers.

Really? I could've sworn Bethesda owns it now. Thanks for that.

Haha, that definitely was a heavy heavy rumour earlier in the year, but last week there was a bit of a clash between the other two over the rights, which confirmed GSC World had not sold the rights to Bethesda (or apparently, anyone). They are looking to license out/potentially sell it though. :)

MYeager

Bummer.

String of bad decisions. Poor decisions made regarding what studios they acquired, they made a lot of long term expensive licensing deals they barely used, they spent a ton of money developing Homefront to try and compete in the FPS market with bigger publishers (stock took a huge hit based on mediocre reviews of what was a high investment for THQ), they vastly over produced uDraw tablets for 360/PS3, etc. It all just added up, they've been limping along for a while.

Toki767

I think they seem to be the most logical choice to pick that up, hopefully they get the Aki guys back on board since they did the def jam games but who knows

The prospect of playing a WWE game not using the Smackdown engine from 10 years ago is so interesting.

C-Drive

Sad to see you go THQ.

The WWE license would surely default back to WWE.

Let's letter/email/tweetbomb WWE to make sure whoever they sell it to gets Syn Sophia (AKI's new name) to develop it. Not sure how many of the original team is still there, but they did do the Yakuza Black Panther games (fairly) recently.

clear31

The prospect of playing a WWE game not using the Smackdown engine from 10 years ago is so interesting.

Yeah, I dont know. It'll be interesting to see who takes over the license. I dont want EA dividing up their UFC team though and sending half the team to work on the WWE game if they get the license.

I want a great UFC game just as much as I want a great WWE game since i'm a fan of both.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah that uDraw failure was brutal, completely messed up the company. How did they even think of taking a risk like that? A company like that should be much more careful with their investments. Anyway, it's past now, and stuff happens I guess.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I can only ask to whichever publisher buys the Darksiders IP, to please, purchase it with Vigil games.

It's horrible when the IP is separated from its original studio, not fair for the devs.

Or I hope, that the studio can make it out of this. Damn, just barely a week after THQ Humble Bundle.

Quentyn

Polygon has link to the bankruptcy filing. There are some details about unannouced games in there.

Vigil Games, the THQ-owned studio behind the Darksiders series, is developing a game with the working title "Crawler," details for which went unrevealed in the filing. Vigil's Haydn Dalton said in an interview with Strategy Informer that the continuation of the Darksiders franchise would depend on Darksiders 2 sales. Whether "Crawler" is a codename for the series' next installment remains to be seen.

Turtle Rock Studios' co-op action title is under the working title "Evolve," which may end up being the final title of the game — in February, THQ filed a trademark for Evolve.

Warhammer 40,000 and Company of Heroes series developer Relic Entertainment is working on a project with the working title "Atlas," which went similarly unexplained in the filing. The documents do mention that the game will be released sometime in 2014, leaving a fairly short gap between that game and Relic's Company of Heroes 2, which launches next year.

Finally, Patrice Desilets' project in development at THQ Montreal is being developed with the working title "1666."

Yeah, SERIOUSLY. They are still using the same fucking engine they used on the PS1 games. Get the fuck with it, people.

Its going to end up being really bad. I think with the long development that some of these licensed titles have had theres no way a new development team can come in and satisfy the core base for the first 2-3 years.

Also, I would argue that the PS1 games were better. Specificially Smackdown 2. That was an awesome arcade wrestling game. It had a lot of stuff that was missing in most of the later incarnations of games and was faster paced.

Hopefully we get the 3rd piece of DLC for WWE 13 considering that we paid for it and that the DLC has probably been done now for a month or two.

sflufan

Banned
Chapter 11, Clearlake may be acquiring assets:

BAHAHAHAH! I KNEW IT! I called that Clearlake would acquire the assets a couple of months ago!

For those of you who are wondering, Clearlake is a private equity/corporate restructuring firm that works with turning around troubled companies. THQ was "exploring options" with Clearlake for a potential sale of the company.

Now, here's why this isn't a surprise to me: a good buddy of one of Clearlake's managing partners is Jason Rubin.

Kifimbo

Finally, Patrice Desilets' project in development at THQ Montreal is being developed with the working title "1666."

Always thought that trademark was related to Désilets' game. Sounds more and more like his next game is related to the Great Fire of London.

Ranger X

We'll see what will happen. Jason is very positive and this seems like they have a plan.
Employees I also know at THQ seem to know something and are very positive.

I doubt this is a buy out in order to crash the thing. I think they will still operate.

Always thought that trademark was related to Désilets' game. Sounds more and more like his next game is related to the Great Fire of London.

What other evidence is there that it is about that?

I was just looking at the wikipedia page for the year, and there's also a bit about Isaac Newton using a prism to split light for the first time, as well as a war on with the English vs the Dutch.

sflufan

Banned
What you guys don't uderstand is that THIS was the plan ALL ALONG!

All of the actions to date have been undertaken to faciliate the sale to Clearlake Capital.

Top Bottom