• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

So the battery thing... does this render the Titans mostly useless or what is it?

The batteries power shields on Titans. You can steal them and go to a friendly titan and drop they battery in them and recharge their shields. Downside is you can use it on your own titan, which I think they should add.

Xater

I feel the same way. It's by no means a terrible game, but at the same time no longer one I super looking forward to playing. Maybe down the line during a sale.

Are you sure there aren't any Titan timers? I'm genuinely asking because I'm terrible at shooters and I was getting Titan's all the time. Also, it's worth noting that this test is most likely based on an old build of the game and a lot of the issues with stuff like movement (which I personally didn't have a problem with) could already be improved or tightened up by now. As for multiplayer modes, just because the game isn't launching with certain modes doesn't mean it wont be added to the game at some point (hopefully via a patch).

There is no timer. Devs said they are looking into making earning the Titan slightly faster, but that is all we have heard so far. It is still going to basically be a killstreak.

I agree, but this exact same discussion is already going on in the tech test thread. Why does it need a second thread?

Why do people backseat mod like this? Get a fucking grip...if a mod deems this thread superfluous, then the necessary action will be taken. Do you really not have anything better to do than to thread whine?

vg260

As it should be players need to get better I had no trouble getting Titans other than in hardpoint which the build time is being fixed.

Well, I only dabble in multiplayer FPS games, and this was looking like the first one I'd pick up in a long time. So, even still this does not sit will with me, and would make me scratch it off my list. "Git Gud" or you don't get to use one of the main selling points of the game is not a gameplay design I'd support. What's so bad about giving them at least a shot with a Titan? If a player is not "good" defeating their Titan shouldn't be an issue if balanced correctly, right?

Alienous

Whaaaaaa???

I...can't believe this is a thing. Played the crap out of TF1 on PC, this has me really bummed out :[

That isn't entirely true. You do get your Titan from kills, but not a 'killstreak'. You can die and it doesn't reset your progress to a Titan.

It isn't a killstreak, but it isn't also as passive as it was in Titanfall 1.

EDIT:
It seems like deaths do reduce your progress to a Titan now.
Maybe not, it might just be a 'combo' system for your kills.

The batteries power shields on Titans. You can steal them and go to a friendly titan and drop they battery in them and recharge their shields. Downside is you can use it on your own titan, which I think they should add.

You can use it on your own Titan. I was jumping out grabbing batteries all the time to get some health back. You also get an over shield if you have a battery when jumping in the Titan after you call it in. I would wait till I found a battery before calling in my Titan to make sure I maximized my time with it.

Chris1

Respawn fucked up for sure. I honestly can't believe it, if you told me last week I'd be massively disappointed over Titanfall 2 I would have told you to get out.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hype is dead.

Doesn't make sense, this sequel didn't have to do much to make itself one of the best games of this gen. Somehow, against all odds, they've ruined it and made the first game more appealing to play than the sequel.

Delay his Respawn, delay it and fix it. You don't wanna go up against CoD and BF1 anyway, and you don't wanna release in this state while doing so.

Delay it, fix it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I only dabble in multiplayer FPS games, and this was looking like the first one I'd pick up in a long time. So, even still this does not sit will with me, and would make me scratch it off my list. "Git Gud" or you don't get to use one of the main selling points of the game is not a gameplay design I'd support. What's so bad about giving them at least a shot with a Titan? If a player is not "good" defeating their Titan shouldn't be an issue if balanced correctly, right?

Exactly, just because you get a Titan doesn't mean you're any good with it. Good players will always destroy the bad players anyway so I have no problem with inexperienced folks having some fun with a big stompy robot until they get blown up.

My girlfriend is not necessarily all that great at videogames but she loves Titanfall 1 because it gives everyone a chance. She may not have killed many live players but killing the AI kept her going and having fun inbetween real kills. And the Titan on a timer let her join in the fun with everyone else regardless of her performance.

She had a blast. I think it's her favorite multiplayer game. I know another guy who is also totally obsessed with it for similar reasons. Older dude with a bunch of kids and no time to git gud. It's perfect for him. He never stops talking about it.

Casual games have their place and I'm sad that Titanfall 2 is not something my girlfriend would enjoy. They've left their primary casual audience behind in favor of chasing another crowd.

I dont know why they needed to make titans performance based or remove the AI. When they did that they removed major chunks of what made the first one what it was. Now it's just COD: Advanced Warfare with occasional robots.

I came into this thread expecting the usual GAF FUD, but some of those changes are pretty damn disappointing.
Did you miss the entire impressions thread? Everybody playing the game was disappointed.

I thought it wasn't the same team?
How can Respawn be large enough to have multiple teams? They've released 1 game as Respawn. What would Titanfall 1 team be working on?

AI removal was great tho.
Wow, you must be a dev for Titanfall 2.

Sushigod7

How does someone not liking a couple of the maps make it a point that the game is not good? I think the 2 maps have been great and pilot vs pilot mode is solid. Game plays tight as the first to me and the grappling hook is awesome.

I don't know. Game felt solid to me.

Its solid for COD but its not Titanfall thats the point of the complaints.

Shredderi

People who think that even half of the points made in the OP will be fixed by the time of release need to wake the fuck up for their own sakes. Temper those expectations. At most they'll fix some values depending on player feedback to make the movement faster etc. The other things are way too fundamental to "hotfix". Really disappointed to hear this stuff. I wonder if the campaign is good at least.

blAAAm!!!

Neo Member
anyone who is just trying to say this is a demo/technical test and it will change dont realize that there is no way for them to make massive improvements before the game is launched in a few months. What people are playing now will most likely be home the game is at launch. I really hope I am wrong but im not getting my hopes up

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I think the game will end up being okay but I don't see myself getting that constant rush of excitement playing it like I did with Titanfall. I also don't see myself sinking countless hours into it, either.

My girlfriend is not necessarily all that great at videogames but she loves Titanfall 1 because it gives everyone a chance. She may not have killed many live players but killing the AI kept her going and having fun inbetween real kills. And the Titan on a timer let her join in the fun with everyone else regardless of her performance.

She had a blast. I think it's her favorite multiplayer game. I know another guy who is also totally obsessed with it for similar reasons. Older dude with a bunch of kids and no time to git gud. It's perfect for him. He never stops talking about it.

Casual games have their place and I'm sad that Titanfall 2 is not something my girlfriend would enjoy.

I dont know why they needed to make titans performance based or remove the AI. When they did that they removed major chunks of what made the first one so appealing to their fanbase. Now it's just COD: Advanced Warfare with occasional robots.

In bounty hunt i've got all my titans from killing AI.

Weebos

Banned
How can such a sure thing become this disappointing? I don't remember being disappointed in a sequel as much as this one. It almost threw everything that made the first game interesting and great and made COD clone.

Here's just some of the things they got wrong:

1- Player movement isn't as smooth as the prequel.

2-Maps are terrible. Almost no thought went into making them. TF1 maps were made with pilots movement/parkour in mind but this one seems like maps from COD or BF.

3- No AI (outside of Bounty Hunter): The feature that made Titanfall unique is gone from all modes except Bounty Hunter which is a poorly designed mode.

4- No Attrition: The most popular mode in TF1 is gone.

5- No titan timer: You get your Titan from a killstreak

6- Killstreak: WTF are you doing Respawn?

I read somewhere that TF1 feels like a sequel to this game and I totally agree with that statement. They pretty much drop the ball on TF2. Maybe TF3 will get back to the series roots.

and please don't tell me it's Technical Test and the full game will be different. What we played is basically a demo. Maybe some tweak here and there but nothing fundamental.

As somebody who really enjoyed Titanfall, all of this sounds terrible.

You can still farm bots, damage Titans or take out Titans and other players to fill your meter. You can die and the meter doesn't reset. It's a competitive shooter keep practicing to improve and master the game. I don't see why a player who doesn't contribute to the team should be gifted a Titan. Have the Titans be connected to points and obj play makes people play the game correctly if they want a Titan.

You can't just sit in a corner and wait for your Titan timer to fill now you need to be active.

If you played hardpoint the build time was not balanced but the new mode with AI it was super easy to get Titans.

If Respawn has taught me anything from Titanfall, it's that their work is never done. Titanfall at launch is not the same game that's played today. I trust them.

Most of these issues seem like some minor rebalancing could fix it. I'm taking the wait and see approach like I always do with these big games. I kind of like the fact that they are building a whole new game and not just slightly iterating on the first titanfall.

vg260

Exactly, just because you get a Titan doesn't mean you're any good with it. Good players will always destroy the bad players anyway so I have no problem with inexperienced folks having some fun with a big stompy robot until they get blown up.

Yeah, I only played a little bit of the first one, and weathered getting constantly destroyed on foot just to get a chance at controlling the Titan, even if it didn't last long.

It seems like a very ill-conceived idea, and is definitely a deal-breaker for me. Most of the other changes I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

Chris1

anyone who is just trying to say this is a demo/technical test and it will change dont realize that there is no way for them to make massive improvements before the game is launched in a few months. What people are playing now will most likely be home the game is at launch. I really hope I am wrong but im not getting my hopes up
Exactly. The game is due out in 3 month, 2 months till it goes gold.

Only way half the shit is getting fixed is by hitting it with a hefty delay, which I don't think is gonna happen as by the time they fix everything they could have been halfway through Titanfall 3. But I hope so.

Yup, same here OP. Was hyped for this tech test and was hoping it would be my shooter for the fall. Def waiting for bargain bin now (if at all).

dear respawn,

please delay this into early spring to spare it the butchering it'll receive from bf1 / cod and give it ample time for substantial changes

love

everyone

speedomodel

3- No AI (outside of Bounty Hunter): The feature that made Titanfall unique is gone from all modes except Bounty Hunter which is a poorly designed mode.

5- No titan timer: You get your Titan from a killstreak

6- Killstreak: WTF are you doing Respawn?

Oh are you fucking kidding me?

Ah fuck it...

ryan299

The Titans sucked in the tech test. They're useless against pilots, hell, they're guns have a hard time killing AI. I also don't like them getting rid of electric smoke from their loadouts. With the grappling hook, it's easier than ever to get on a Titan and there's really no good way to get someone off.

Chris1

Why does everyone keep saying attrition is gone? Did the dev confirm this?

Bounty Hunt is the evolution of it apparently and there's supposed insiders on Reddit claiming it's replacing it completely. Lots of people complained about it in the impression topic and despite Respawn developers actively posting there, they haven't said a thing about it. Take that how you will, sounds like it's gone to me. If it was in the game they would have came out and said so.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
In bounty hunt i've got all my titans from killing AI.

The problem here is that they've stuck the AI spawning in 2 spots, everyone goes there and fights over them and it's far easier to get killed. In TF1 the AI is everywhere, they are part of the Battlefield and so the battle naturally flows everywhere rather than precise points letting everyone join in. Hell you can hack Spectres and they can capture points so you're still contributing.

Schlorgan

You can still farm bots, damage Titans or take out Titans and other players to fill your meter. You can die and the meter doesn't reset. It's a competitive shooter keep practicing to improve and master the game. I don't see why a player who doesn't contribute to the team should be gifted a Titan. Have the Titans be connected to points and obj play makes people play the game correctly if they want a Titan.

You can't just sit in a corner and wait for your Titan timer to fill now you need to be active.

If you played hardpoint the build time was not balanced but the new mode with AI it was super easy to get Titans.

Stop making sense!

So many aspects of this game disappoint me coming from the first one. I loved the first one and bought an XB1 for it, but I sold the system about 2 years ago and have been patiently waiting for the sequel to come to PS4. Even with all the changes for the worse, I could have lived with it if it had Attrition and Titan being on a timer, but without those two things it's a bargain bin buy for the campaign at this point.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
As a huge fan of the first game who supported it when others mocked it or dropped it for lack of content, it hurts to see the direction Titanfall 2 went in.

Top Bottom