• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 on XOX can go above 4K with Dyanmic Superscaling

Izuna

Banned
Anything that helps push developers to keep technically pushing games in any way is a win-win situation.

It would be nice to have this in games going forward that far exceed the target framerate (like Doom would?) if only so these games can look dope on future hardware.

KageMaru

right, so they claim. Destiny 2 is not a good looking game. Battlefield 1 looks MUCH better and runs at about 48-55 fps on xbox one.

Not really comparable. Both games have different demands with networking, AI, etc.

The CPU is hot garbage, don't even try to refute that. 60fps will never become commonplace on consoles with that CPU.

To be fair 60fps will just never be commonplace on consoles. The hardware has improved generation after generation but the demands also continue to rise.

Izuna

Banned
At this point that is hard to believe after seeing some of the games that got to 60FPS on a standard Xbox One and seeing the games targeting 60FPS on Xbox One X.

I 100% believe it has to do with the fact that with Destiny, anyone is expected to be the physics host.

Luigiv

What's the difference?

I think you're reading the labels wrong.

But it's the same?

Look closer. The image you posted has the scale of 2K, 1080p, 720p, "DVD" and "VCD" incorrect relative to "4K" (which should actually be labelled UHD 4K). 1080p should be 1/4 UHD 4K, whilst 2K should be the same height as 1080p but a little wider. The image you posted has 2K as 1/4 of UHD and 1080p scaled down. The ratio of 1080p to 720p seems ok at a glance (though obviously 720p has also been scaled down) but then "DVD" is the wrong scale versus everything else, making it even smaller than it already is. Whoever created that image really sucks at photoshop.

And lets not get into how stupid the inconsistent labelling is.

Edit: Case in point, the image is suppose to be 1:1 pixel mapped, yet this is how it looks on my 1080p monitor at "Actual Size".
GwKCnev.png

Akronis

To be fair 60fps will just never be commonplace on consoles. The hardware has improved generation after generation but the demands also continue to rise.

That's only because console devs focus on IQ and graphical quality over everything else. Every single game on PS4/XBONE could've been 60+ FPS. Framerates don't sell anyone on games though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not really comparable. Both games have different demands with networking, AI, etc.

No the demands don't magically increase the priorities do that's all it's ever been. Pushing the latest and greatest graphical effects and sometimes scale (sometimes but almost never in the way of physics) is all that matters.

It would be cool if all devs went dynamic rez with their games since MS is doing the whole Forward/Backward compatibility thing with their future consoles.

Vashetti

Banned
That's only because console devs focus on IQ and graphical quality over everything else. Every single game on PS4/XBONE could've been 60+ FPS. Framerates don't sell anyone on games though.

Incorrect. If the engine is CPU-bound, as is the case with Destiny 2, turn the res up or down as much as you like, the game is still stuck at 30fps.

FyreWulff

Battlefield 1 has about what, 90ish physics entities at any one time. Loads one level at a time, has low geometry density, almost no physics "clutter" objects, and no AI in MP

Destiny has to be able to stream between areas, has triple digit physics entities (players, AI, clutter objects, weapon projectiles), and also has AI that needs to make relatively smart decisions so the timeslice for the AI has to be big enough to support that

you really can't directly compare between any two games in particular on how or how not they got to a framerate

Raide

Need to see some footage but amazing what they can do when the engine is not so heavily CPU dependant. Hoping for 4k60.

I'm happy with this kind of thing but I hope they can also raise a few of the other setting switches, like i'd favor slightly more dynamic shadows and better lighting over 6k downsampled to 4k, honestly.

KageMaru

Yeah I agree. I'm just saying that while I agree the CPUs are slow, it's not 60fps because of these CPUs specifically since even with stronger CPUs, they would likely still target 30fps.

No the demands don't magically increase the priorities do that's all it's ever been. Pushing the latest and greatest graphical effects and sometimes scale (sometimes but almost never in the way of physics) is all that matters.

This is exactly what I meant and I thought that was obvious.

flkraven

Look closer. The image you posted has the scale of 2K, 1080p, 720p, "DVD" and "VCD" incorrect relative to "4K" (which should actually be labelled UHD 4K). 1080p should be 1/4 UHD 4K, whilst 2K should be the same height as 1080p but a little wider. The image you posted has 2K as 1/4 of UHD and 1080p scaled down. The ratio of 1080p to 720p seems ok at a glance (though obviously 720p has also been scaled down) but then "DVD" is the wrong scale versus everything else, making it even smaller than it already is. Whoever created that image really sucks at photoshop.

Edit: Case in point, the image is suppose to be 1:1 pixel mapped, yet this is how it looks on my 1080p monitor at "Actual Size".

I'd say the comparison between 1080P, 4K, and 6K seems pretty accurate. You are doing a lot of work calling it a load of crap but worrying about labels and minor differences. Yah, 2K vs 1080 doesn't make sense, since it shouldn't be taller, but generally this gives you the right idea about sizes.

Akronis

Incorrect. If the engine is CPU-bound, as is the case with Destiny 2, turn the res up or down as much as you like, the game is still stuck at 30fps.

Not true. The game would have to be redesigned and huge cuts would have to be made, but it would be possible.

Framerate is a design decision.

Luigiv

I'd say the comparison between 1080P, 4K, and 6K seems pretty accurate. You are doing a lot of work calling it a load of crap but worrying about labels and minor differences. Yah, 2K vs 1080 doesn't make sense, since it shouldn't be taller, but generally this gives you the right idea about sizes.

Exact the comparison between 1080p and 4K is wrong. The only accurate comparison is 4K to 6K.

It's a god damn complete failure of a comparison image, don't defend it.

Izuna

Banned

Which is the most irrelevant part of the picture? At the very least, the one I used shows 1080p to 4K to 6K rather well. Yours, however, on people's phones or lower resolution displays will find it hard to see the labels themselves.

That is to say, while you have a little more accuracy, it's hardly definitively better. If you want I can clean up the scale, but I just don't think minor inaccuracies irrelevant to the topic are important. Lemme know if you want me to.

Impressive.

However, this seems pretty pointless to me, how many's people monitor can display such resolution?
Most hardcore gamers don't even have a proper 4K monitor or TV, and it's not like they can't afford it, it's just that they don't care about 4K. Let alone 6K.

Bsigg12

Impressive.

However, this seems pretty pointless to me, how many's people monitor can display such resolution?
Most hardcore gamers don't even have a proper 4K monitor or TV, and it's not like they can't afford it, it's just that they don't care about 4K. Let alone 6K.

It'll just scale it back and make it look better and if it doesn't affect the performance, why not?

Vashetti

Banned
Impressive.

Downsampling.

Izuna

Banned
6K when you look at the ground. Why not go for 8K?!

I think it's a limit of the adaptive supersampling solution. It needs to ensure it's able to keep up a solid 60fps with strict frametime windows, so even if you looked at the sky and could go above 6K, it would be restricted from going further (I believe). It's why you can't just make your target framerate to be 10fps and get the game take up 100% putting it up to 16K on PC.

What's up with 2K on that chart?

It's fucked.

Tf2 on ps4 is uber crisp and clean. It will be better here but again I can't see a difference almost between CB and native so no chance I'll see any here
Titanfall 2 isn't using Checkerboard Rendering on PS4 tho. Still, it's a much higher resolution than Pro's 1440p image.

Sanjay

Use that extra resource on A.I and better textures and stuff, stop increasing pixel count. This is not a pissing contest.

Ohm I see it now.

On another but related topic:

It's really a standard for 2k to be as tall as 1080p, but with a full 2k width? I mean, what would the point? Doesn't feel like a resolution that makes any sense. A full 16:9 image with 2000x1125? I can see why they would create the standard even if no consumer panel uses it, but 2000x1080?

Nategc20

Banned
Will definitely be giving this game a go.

This console must be a bit of a monster, I do wonder whether it could have handled Destiny at 60FPS.

Guess that's a can of worms though.
Im positive, on my life, that Bungie either picked parity, or either nerfed the XOX purposely judging by their quotes at E3. Too many developers are saying the XOX is legit, but Bungie is the only ones saying they cant reach such and such.

Izuna

Banned
Use that extra resource on A.I and better textures and stuff, stop increasing pixel count. This is not a pissing contest.

Better A.I would be handled by the cloud like in Titanfall 1.

;( I miss that A.I. (also you do know that A.I. is strictly CPU bound and this is an update to a mostly MP game with a campaign experience going to be same across platforms, right?)

AI would be CPU bound, so no. It's not like we need more power to have amazing AI or anything. It's simply not a focus for most devs. You don't want to have crazy competent AI anyways, trust me. Textures wise, all the textures will become very clear and you will see details that weren't there before, all without needing to change the assets.

Gestault

This is an improvement patch to an existing game. Texture quality isn't an issue, and in the case of the 1X, it can easily do both. AI isn't a "throw more math at it" situation. This is image quality improvements, which if you've seen how much of a difference even 4K downsampling to 1080p can make, is nothing to sneeze at. It's a choice between this or not this; it's not a trade-off in the way you're assuming. There's GPU overhead, but not so much CPU overhead.

Luigiv

the one I used shows 1080p to 4K to 6K rather well.

Except it doesn't. 1080p is straight up the wrong size. It paints a misleading image and that's why I brought it up (I wouldn't have bothered if 1080p were correct and just the smaller resolutions were wrong).

Bad comparison image is bad. It had one job and it failed spectacularly at it. It's not worth defending, just give it up.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Wow. as my 4yo son is keen to say, "I didn't see that coming"

nOoblet16

I'm not sure how this is happening.
The game is dynamic 1440P on Pro..not even fixed. So how can it not only go to 4K on Scorpio but go even higher?

The GPU power difference is not that vast, it'd have made sense if PS Pro was at 1800P and XBX was at 4K.

leeh

The game is dynamic 1440P on Pro..not even fixed. So how can it not only go to 4K on Scorpio but go even higher?

The GPU power difference is not that vast, it'd have made sense if PS Pro was at 1800P and XBX was at 4K.
Maybe super RAM starved on the Pro?

Akronis

We won't know until someone actually gets their hands on it.

Top Bottom