• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2: PS4 Multiplayer 'Tech Test' Frame-Rate Analysis

1600X900. Hrmmm.

I guess all of the alpha effects are the reason for that, as the game only seems to drop frames when there is a lot of that.
Are they still using the Source Engine?

Rendering-wise it is radically different from it at this point. Probably in most if not all other areas as well.

MaKTaiL

Can they improve it to 1080p, or is that the target rendering resolution?
That's Frostbite Engine Target for all their games. Frostbite Engine is clearly not made for consoles. 900p and struggling to maintain FPS? Really EA? Ever since Battlefield 4...

EDIT

Just... Ignore what I said. I'm an idiot. Hahaha. I thought they said they would be moving to Frostbite a few months back. When I saw 900p written I immediately thought it was it. My bad.

I hope they do go for the 60FPS at the expense of tearing if they need to.

That helped a lot in the original on XO. It will be interesting to see this on Neo, it would be great if that can hit 1080P/60FPS locked/near locked.

This may be one of those games that will see the Neo shine. I expect they clean up the tearing and frame drops on the based model PS4.

But its all the extras effects and visual fidelity be supercharged on the Neo.

Hope for the best!

JP

I would't read too much into how this version of the game performs, they made a point of emphasising that this isn't what "beta" tests have become to get people to pre-order games, this is going to be a rough build that is there to test the online stuff in the way that traditional betas used to.

That could well be a build from June or earlier and there's a lot of time to optimise what's being shown in that video.

thelastword

Banned
Cut down on the effects and go for 1080P, and please remove C.A completely. Can't believe DF suggests tearing to boost framerate. tearing is much more jarring than drops to the 40's. Even if they implement adaptive vsync, the game will still drop frames. Titanfall on the XB1 was not a 60fps lock by any means. So by DF's suggestion you have framerate drops mixed with tearing just plain awful. Lower some effects to boost framerate, optimize, but keep vsync.

Liamario

Banned
Cut down on the effects and go for 1080P, and please remove C.A completely. Can't believe DF suggests tearing to boost framerate. tearing is much more jarring than drops to the 40's. Even if they implement adaptive vsync, the game will still drop frames. Titanfall on the XB1 was not a 60fps lock by any means. So by DF's suggestion you have framerate drops mixed with tearing just plain awful. Lower some effects to boost framerate, optimize, but keep vsync.
Totally agree. Tearing is an abomination and a deal breaker for me. I can't and won't tolerate it.

nOoblet16

It's not the drops, but it's the controller response.
Adaptive V sync where the tearing is limited to top quarter of screen is the way to go because the situation in which the frame drops (screen full of alpha) you are more likely to notice the change in controller response than you are to notice torn frames, especially if it's in top quarter since people focus on the centre of screen. The alpha is most likely already lower resolution, lowering it more will cause noticeable issues with visuals.

Titanfall on XB1 is irrelevant because it never ran at 60FPS, this one seems to run at 60 most of the time atleast on PS4. Plus if Titanfall XB1 had V synch like this, it'd have horrible controller response.

Looking way, way better than the first Titanfall.

Completely agree. Screen tearing - especially if we're talking about at the level that it was in the first game - should never be acceptable.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It is a just tech test, they could push for higher res possibly at the expense of FR. If this is indicative of final resolution, I'd rather have 60fps over higher resolution.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sounds good for this early on. Really which they would've upgraded to Frostbite, but for source I am impressed they managed to enhance the lighting.

Hoping the game gets a bump to 1080p, rock solid 60 on NEO.

BigEmil

The graphics,effects,lighting etc look massively improved over Titanfall 1.

So makes sense its more demanding

EvB

Titanfall got a resolution bump between the Beta and retail on Xbox One.

They may be able to use the data from the beta to be able to identify areas of high load and optimise the game better for retail.

Bluepoint did this with a server farm of 360's for the 360 port, so they could pre-calculate a bunch of stuff without needing to scale back on assets and maintain performance.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wait... I thought they switched to Unreal Engine 4?

Or is that for the Star Wars game?

Most all EA games are using Frostbite now, with the exeption of this game that uses Modified Source.

Hopefully Titanfall 3 launches on Frostbite and takes full advantage of Neo and Scorpio.

Xater

With the PS4 version running at 900p I wonder how the Xbox one will hold up. Just as with the first one? That would be disappointing tbh.

Most all EA games are using Frostbite now, with the exeption of this game that uses Modified Source.

Hopefully Titanfall 3 launches on Frostbite and takes full advantage of Neo and Scorpio.

Respawn is not an EA owned company. They will not use Frostbite.

Xater

Now having watched the full video, even on PS4 the performance looks unimpressive. Man hopefully that is just because it is an early build.

The gameplay that's been shown thus far looks great and graphically sound, I'm not really worried about it.

Nah. I like all the pretty lights. I agree with the tearing though, screw that.

ps3ud0

I hope they do go for the 60FPS at the expense of tearing if they need to.

That helped a lot in the original on XO. It will be interesting to see this on Neo, it would be great if that can hit 1080P/60FPS locked/near locked.
Throw it in the bin if they do this - rather have dynamic resolution than that...

Tearing should never be a choice

ps3ud0 8)

Does it? I see swings from 40 to 60 here as well.

Even almost 30 at one point.

It looks a lot better than TF1, I'm just not sure this modified source engine is the right one to go with when you have such easy access to Frostbite which puts out some of the best looking games of all time and has great performance too looking at Star Wars Battlefront as the most recent example.

Tovarisc

It looks a lot better than TF1, I'm just not sure this modified source engine is the right one to go with when you have such easy access to Frostbite which puts out some of the best looking games of all time and has great performance too looking at Star Wars Battlefront as the most recent example.

EA doesn't own Respawn and Frosbite is only for EA's internal teams so no, they don't have easy access to Frostbite engine. One could say that maybe they should look at UE4 for future titles, but there must have been reasons to pick Source in first place.

Renekton

DF was just remarking how TF2's 900p looks sharper than other Frostbite 60fps games. Plus alpha BF1 also had rought spots.

Xater

EA doesn't own Respawn and Frosbite is only for EA's internal teams so no, they don't have easy access to Frostbite engine. One could say that maybe they should look at UE4 for future titles, but there must have been reasons to pick Source in first place.

For the first game probably because UE4 wasn't quite there yet. You can tell that it took some time for more UE4 games to arrive. They probably also didn't want to switch because it's tech they already had running.

Tovarisc

For the first game probably because UE4 wasn't quite there yet. You can tell that it took some time for more UE4 games to arrive. They probably also didn't want to switch because it's tech they already had running.

Even then there was UE3, CryEngine and.. well.. Unity *krhm*. Something drove them to use Source. At the time I saw some speculation that Source was cheapest engine to license so they took it for only that reason. That said I'm kinda amazed how long legs Source 1 has under it, still pushing very acceptable IQ and performance when dev pushes engine and gives it some tweaks.

Top Bottom