• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Teaser, full reveal June 12th at EA Play at 1PM PT, PC/XB1/PS4

Acidote

Really cool to see how many of you are hyped for this.

Curious as to what fans of the first game want the most from a sequel.

No bots. 8vs8 or even 10vs10 would be cool.
Build upon parkour shooting and Titans.
Bigger choice of weapons. It felt a bit limited.
Smart pistol discontinued.

DLC free a few months after release again. I'll pay for them but the less fragmented the userbase is, the better.

jesu

That's incorrect, the original deal was timed exclusive, not full.

It was still coming to PS, closer to launch EA and MS signed full exclusivity, something the head of Respawn was very unhappy with.

If Vince Zampella tweeting a sad smiley is a sign of him being very unhappy then I suppose so.

But he's went on record since then saying the game wouldn't have released without that console exclusivity.

Kordelle

lol guys calm down I meant how can MS let marketing for TF go, I am a big fan of the first and I did not live under a rock since then. The fact that TF2 will be multi is known for months.
I think its great that TF2 is multiplatform I just cant understand why MS doesnt market the sequel while Sony already got lots of FPS marketing deals going.

The first game was very good the gameplay was simply 10/10 but it lacked content on some fronts, hopefully they will fix that for the 2nd game

And about the "Xbox One exclusivity" come one guys the more people playing and enjoying a game the better console wars are stupid

This is such a good candidate for the CS:GO pricing model. Maybe $15-20 with some well placed micro-transactions.

But instead we'll get a campaign that nobody will remember and a $60 "AAA" that won't really hold up long term. I'd love to see Respawn and EA try to make a crowd of their own instead of trying to take on COD directly, because the fundamental gameplay of Titanfall is incredibly good.

Keasar

Personally I have no problem with 6v6 but12v12 would appease the masses, who complain about bots, as there would be more pilots running around so they can try to kill some humans for a change. With respect to weapons, I prefer a few more choices. I am okay with a smaller arsenal as I never use most of the guns offered in COD. However, TF ended up being folks running around the map with the Carbines, CAR SMGs or Smart Pistols. A little bit more weapon variety is not a bad thing.

Yeah but the masses don't understand game design. Here is the problem:

The maps are pretty big in order to accommodate the Titans and give them space to move about, evade each other and so forth. This leads to even larger maps for the pilots themselves if they are outside of the Titans. Now, in order to first of all fill that dead space they have small A.I soldiers who run around doing combat with each other, they are not there to replace people and instead mostly focus on each other, occasionally aiming for any players they come across. To incentivise players to shoot these A.I soldiers they grant a small buff to the players Titan meters if killed so players can get their Titans faster, basically rewarding multitasking of hunting other players and also the A.I.

Anyway, the maps as of now accommodate a total of 12 players, 6 on each side. In very few rare occasions all 12 players manage to call down their Titans and actually keep them alive for a few moments, if you have ever played during one of these times the maps suddenly get very crowded by giant hulking robots. Now, imagine instead if you removed all the A.I soldiers and replaced them with another 6 players on each side, anything between 2-5 would probably be too little to populate the maps properly. The potential scenario would be that all now 24 players called down their Titans about at the same time, you have therefore 24 instead of 12 Titans running around these maps leading to an absolute clusterfuck of giant robots at every corner.

It simply would not work too well. 6 players on each side worked perfectly fine. Especially if you instead of playing the most boring mode in the game, Attrition, which had players spread around all over the map hunting for A.I soldiers for easy points, played a more objective focused mode like Hardpoint or Capture the Flag which focused the players to certain points around the map, making it easier to find other players to shoot.
Edit: I drew some maps to make it clearer.
3a3H3Um.jpg
This here is Hardpoint mode, you have three points across the map where most players will gather towards in order to capture them and gain points for your team. The lines are common routes that people take in order to get between these three points, as shown, it is much clearer where to go in order to find other players and shoot them, making for a much more focused game. Sadly, this is not what most people played.

Instead, most people went with Attrition mode. Attrition mode is all about finding and killing as much as possible, both the A.I soldiers and other players. Not only did this lead to a very stale meta in loadout selection (Smart Pistol for pilots, 40mm Cannon for Titans) but it also makes the mode way more unfocused since you have now players spread all over the map hunting for easy-to-kill A.I soldiers, making the chance of meeting other players way, way smaller. Because most people played this mode and mostly this mode exclusively, I can understand why they would complain about seeing mostly A.I soldiers instead of players, they were incentivised to go after them instead of seeking other players in hotspots on the map. Which is why this mode was the worst for being the most popular.

Ergo, people who whine about the A.I soldiers have no clue what they are talking about and should not. They were basically essential for the game's feeling if you look at it right.

To the people who do complain about them, stop playing Attrition, it sucks. Start playing Hardpoint, it rules.

Kordelle

And also in general, I really dont care who markets a game, however I would love to have a custom TF console since we never got the chance to buy the custom XB1 for TF1, I was hoping to get one this time. and also I hope they dont do stupid 30 days exclusivity. This sucks for everyone, same with the Division in the other way.

Theorry

And also in general, I really dont care who markets a game, however I would love to have a custom TF console since we never got the chance to buy the custom XB1 for TF1, and also I hope they dont do stupid 30 days exclusivity. This sucks for everyone, same with the Division in the other way.

Still rocking that Titanfall controller here haha. Still working great and looks awesome.

Kill3r7

The maps are pretty big in order to accommodate the Titans and give them space to move about, evade each other and so forth. This leads to even larger maps for the pilots themselves if they are outside of the Titans. Now, in order to first of all fill that dead space they have small A.I soldiers who run around doing combat with each other, they are not there to replace people and instead mostly focus on each other, occasionally aiming for any players they come across. To incentivise players to shoot these A.I soldiers they grant a small buff to the players Titan meters if killed so players can get their Titans faster, basically rewarding multitasking of hunting other players and also the A.I.

Anyway, the maps as of now accommodate a total of 12 players, 6 on each side. In very few rare occasions all 12 players manage to call down their Titans and actually keep them alive for a few moments, if you have ever played during one of these times the maps suddenly get very crowded by giant hulking robots. Now, imagine instead if you removed all the A.I soldiers and replaced them with another 6 players on each side, anything between 2-5 would probably be too little to populate the maps properly. The potential scenario would be that all now 24 players called down their Titans about at the same time, you have therefore 24 instead of 12 Titans running around these maps leading to an absolute clusterfuck of giant robots at every corner.

It simply would not work too well. 6 players on each side worked perfectly fine. Especially if you instead of playing the most boring mode in the game, Attrition, which had players spread around all over the map hunting for A.I soldiers for easy points, played a more objective focused mode like Hardpoint or Capture the Flag which focused the players to certain points around the map, making it easier to find other players to shoot.

Ergo, people who whine about the A.I soldiers have no clue what they are talking about and should not. They were basically essential for the game's feeling if you look at it right.

To the people who do complain about them, stop playing Attrition, it sucks. Start playing Hardpoint, it rules.

Agreed as I have made the same argument countless times myself. Titanfall has the best map design/flow so far this gen and yes there is a real purpose to the bots. However, sometimes it is easier to appease the masses, instead of trying to convince/educate them, to help prolong the games longevity/userbase. The fact is that there are 4 major shooters coming out this fall and I highly doubt the userbase will support all 4 of them. You can almost guarantee that COD and BF5 will have major support. So that leaves Gears 4 and TF2 to duke it out for the rest while having to fend off Destiny or The Division.

FyreWulff

Yeah, people were like "6v6?" at first, but once you played Titanfall it makes sense. The AI aren't supposed to be full fledged opponents, they're the creep to level up your player and your Titan with, and the keep the player active as they transition across the map.

Kordelle

Still rocking that Titanfall controller here haha. Still working great and looks awesome.
Yeah got mine as well still in use for splitscreen buddies. For me the Elite replaced it but it is a damn fine controller.
Also got a Titanfall skin on my XB1 which looks quite like the real TF console.

Maxey

lol guys calm down I meant how can MS let marketing for TF go, I am a big fan of the first and I did not live under a rock since then. The fact that TF2 will be multi is known for months.
I think its great that TF2 is multiplatform I just cant understand why MS doesnt market the sequel while Sony already got lots of FPS marketing deals going.

We still don't know tho. Might be MS still.

nahlakhai

TF was easily one of the more underappreciated FPS from this gen, especially since it was released so early in the XB1's life cycle and was an exclusive. I'm glad everyone will get to experience TF2 and I hope they build upon the solid foundation the first game laid.

Darkangel

No bots. 8vs8 or even 10vs10 would be cool.
Build upon parkour shooting and Titans.
Bigger choice of weapons. It felt a bit limited.
Smart pistol discontinued.

DLC free a few months after release again. I'll pay for them but the less fragmented the userbase is, the better.

Titanfall 1 had a no-bots 8v8 mode but it kind of sucked.

A lot of people don't seem to get that the bots are just walking power ups and aren't designed to simulate enemy players.

This is such a good candidate for the CS:GO pricing model. Maybe $15-20 with some well placed micro-transactions.

But instead we'll get a campaign that nobody will remember and a $60 "AAA" that won't really hold up long term. I'd love to see Respawn and EA try to make a crowd of their own instead of trying to take on COD directly, because the fundamental gameplay of Titanfall is incredibly good.

COD is arguably Respawn's game to begin with.

AAA cinematic campaigns are in their DNA. I can't wait to see what they come up with after 5 or so years of absence.

Keasar

please

EA

No season pass

I beg you.

I am personally not entirely against a Season Pass. However, it should not include exclusive maps which was why Titanfall 1 failed in the long term. Exclusive maps split the player community that was left over, and over, into different playlists that came with each map pack. If you want to play a specific set of maps, you had to enter that specific playlist and hope there were other players around on it as well. It was a fucking mess. It took until they released all map packs until they made a playlist that contained all maps at once and by then it was already too late.

What they should do instead is release all maps for free for everyone. This will keep everyone playing together guaranteed. The season pass could include new weapons and Titans (as long as they are balanced equal to all other weapons and Titans), customization options for Titans and Pilots and exclusive profile stuff like pictures, banners and whatnot. Maybe some Beta server access to try out new balance changes and give feedback to developers. Anything but whatever that could potentially split the players into groups.

Now, do I think EA will allow that? Fuck no. Those monkeys at their HQ still keeps chugging out 60 dollar Season Passes with exclusive maps to all their other MP shooters so why would they suddenly bother to learn from their marketing mistakes now?

BizzyBum

That sword... *_*

I want to get this on PC but I'm afraid the community will be dead like the first game. This usually happens to any PC shooter that isn't named Battlefield, CS, or TF.

SwolBro

Banned

This here is Hardpoint mode, you have three points across the map where most players will gather towards in order to capture them and gain points for your team. The lines are common routes that people take in order to get between these three points, as shown, it is much clearer where to go in order to find other players and shoot them, making for a much more focused game. Sadly, this is not what most people played.

Instead, most people went with Attrition mode. Attrition mode is all about finding and killing as much as possible, both the A.I soldiers and other players. Not only did this lead to a very stale meta in loadout selection (Smart Pistol for pilots, 40mm Cannon for Titans) but it also makes the mode way more unfocused since you have now players spread all over the map hunting for easy-to-kill A.I soldiers, making the chance of meeting other players way, way smaller. Because most people played this mode and mostly this mode exclusively, I can understand why they would complain about seeing mostly A.I soldiers instead of players, they were incentivised to go after them instead of seeking other players in hotspots on the map. Which is why this mode was the worst for being the most popular.

Just to point out one of your points here and i want people to really understand this

TITANFALL plays best as an objective type game.

Capture the flag is the defacto Titanfall play. It's what most of the tournies play, it's the only thing competitive titanfall players play, and it's pretty much the one gametype that showcases why the game is so brilliant.

ATTRITION is not a good indicator of how Titanfall really plays. I hope some people realize that despite it being the most populated playlist.

Boke1879

So EA and Bethesda are having their keynotes on Sunday?! Thank God. That frees up a lot of time on Monday. So the conferences on Monday will likely be. MS, Ubisoft and Sony.

Kill3r7

I am personally not entirely against a Season Pass. However, it should not include exclusive maps which was why Titanfall 1 failed in the long term. Exclusive maps split the player community that was left over, and over, into different playlists that came with each map pack. If you want to play a specific set of maps, you had to enter that specific playlist and hope there were other players around on it as well. It was a fucking mess. It took until they released all map packs until they made a playlist that contained all maps at once and by then it was already too late.

What they should do instead is release all maps for free for everyone. This will keep everyone playing together guaranteed. The season pass could include new weapons and Titans (as long as they are balanced equal to all other weapons and Titans), customization options for Titans and Pilots and exclusive profile stuff like pictures, banners and whatnot. Maybe some Beta server access to try out new balance changes and give feedback to developers. Anything but whatever that could potentially split the players into groups.

Now, do I think EA will allow that? Fuck no. Those monkeys at their HQ still keeps chugging out 60 dollar Season Passes with exclusive maps to all their other MP shooters so why would they suddenly bother to learn from their marketing mistakes now?

Would you be okay with free maps but microtransactions. Also, how does COD and BF pull it off when other games struggle with it?

SwolBro

Banned
Would you be okay with free maps but microtransactions. Also, how does COD and BF pull it off when other games struggle with it?

i know a lot of people in the Titanfall community would much rather have free maps and then just microstransactions for other things.

nothing that splinters the community. you wanna pay to look really cool with that shiny helmet? have at it.

COD is arguably Respawn's game to begin with.

AAA cinematic campaigns are in their DNA. I can't wait to see what they come up with after 5 or so years of absence.

I'd agree that they made COD what it is, but after all this time it belongs to the other studios who make it now. And Activision.

But my point still stands, there's always people coming and trying to out-do COD but it never works. Mostly because a lot of those players aren't transferable. They play COD every year and don't want to play anything else.

Titanfall may well be excellent (I expect it will), but it's not going to take the COD crown. Which is why I'd love to see them pitch it in a CS:GO manner, rather than a AAA FPS way.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
OH MY FUCKING LORD!

YES!

MY EXCITEMENT IS UNCONTAINABLE!

Please don't change too much from the original, k?

Keasar

I could do microtransactions for customization stuff like helmets, armor, Titanfall skins etc. as long as gameplay related stuff stayed out. Heck, if they did it right, I would gladly spend some too to pimp out my Titan.

I think its because COD and BF had servers which could incorporate all maps into one server immediately from the start at the release of each DLC. Not to mention BF had actual server lists and you could see where all the players were, together with the actual good mode that showed off Battlefield (Conquest) remained the more popular one. Now, I honestly don't think its optimal, people still got split up between servers and all the new modes they introduced per DLC were never also introduced retroactively to all previous maps. I just think that is what made them at least survive. Not to mention that Battlefield and COD were already huge brands most players knew while Titanfall was completely new, with many attributing it as just "Call of Duty with robots".

cakely

You still get it if you die on the way.

Yeah, it's a little different, but it fills the same role as the COD Killstreak, or the Destiny Super. It's an "OP" reward for having a good match.

This talk is making me want to play Titanfall again, I haven't booted it up in months and months.

Kill3r7

I'd agree that they made COD what it is, but after all this time it belongs to the other studios who make it now. And Activision.

But my point still stands, there's always people coming and trying to out-do COD but it never works. Mostly because a lot of those players aren't transferable. They play COD every year and don't want to play anything else.

Titanfall may well be excellent (I expect it will), but it's not going to take the COD crown. Which is why I'd love to see them pitch it in a CS:GO manner, rather than a AAA FPS way.

Is there any data to suggest that if you release a AAA at $20 or $40 price point that more people will buy or play it? I would think EA is worried that by pricing their AAA game below market price it might signal to consumers that they do not have faith in the product. Thereby jeopardizing its sales figures.

I could do microtransactions for customization stuff like helmets, armor, Titanfall skins etc. as long as gameplay related stuff stayed out. Heck, if they did it right, I would gladly spend some too to pimp out my Titan.

Agreed. I was thinking something akin to Halo 5 REQ system where you could use game earned credits or real money if you wanted to accessories your character or Titan.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

This post is fantastic. Titanfall without AI soldiers, is not titanfall.

At least two more Titan chassis (5 seems like a decent number)

The ability the customise their look and load outs more. In the same way Rocket League allowed you to create your own vehicle but let players know which side you're on still is a good example on how I'd want it to go.

Drop the smart pistol

Would love to see more varied maps - a snow level would be amazing

No killstreaks added - what I liked most about TF was that there wasn't the CoD OTT killstreaks

-Make all map DLC FREE! Don't screw customers with fractured userbase

-Sell a shit ton of cosmetics-- Titan skins, models, gun skins, maybe taunts for post-match if it's not something to waste time between rounds

-I like burn cards. I don't like any that change gun stats, but things that make me go faster and stuff is alright. Make a microtransaction model around that, but don't hide guns behind it.

-Please no map DLC. Or at least make them exclusive for 2 weeks to season pass holders, and then free for the whole community after that. I absolutely would not mind that

-Less guns, but make them define the class. Having a powerful shotgun or two, 3-4 ARs, 2-3 SMGs, a few pistols is totally fine by me. Make them look cool and iconic, like Halo weapons. More guns does not mean better gameplay. Ill take one good gun over 5 carbon copies with minimal differences

-No weapon modifiers like Rate of Fire, silencers, and a bunch of that nonsense. Or just keep it simple. I hate having a bunch of mods because it's just tricky to balance and takes away from the predictability of a gunfight (makes it feel more random, less about outplaying the gun being used). I know MP games are all about player choice these days, but I feel like many of them water down the experience by assuming lots of options= fuller game.

-Make pilot v pilot modes again. I like Titans, but I like the idea of no Titan modes too. The movement is great, and can carry the game itself if it wants to

-If you're going to add in story elements to MP, make some cool things like interactive environment. I'm playing Domination? Cool, drop a random event like "Quick! Capture the Capacitor that just spawned in this room and return it to one of our flag points for a bonus!"

-More modes. I'd love to see distinct weapons and make them into weapon pick ups for arena-styled MP.

-Community features. Clan support could be amazing in this game. Having people create little communities and fighting for resources, clan leaderboards, etc.

Mechazawa

This is crazy talk, Attrition is fantastic and gives the game a hunting dynamic that you don't see as much in the other modes. Stalking someone from the rooftops as they're preoccupied going to town on the bots is never not the best

Is there any data to suggest that if you release a AAA at $20 or $40 price point that more people will buy or play it? I would think EA is worried that by pricing their AAA game below market price it might signal to consumers that they do not have faith in the product. Thereby jeopardizing its sales figures.

I can understand that thinking too. Not saying I'm right, but the thing that killed the first Titanfall was lack of players and I'm in the group that doesn't feel any need for a campaign mode.

A below AAA price with a sensible and enticing DLC and micro transaction setup could give this game real legs. But I'm just thinking out loud, it'll be AAA and forgotten by next summer.

Sojgat

Awesome.

Just make all DLC maps free and fill the game with cosmetic microtransactions. Hell, even sell common burn card packs, but keep all the core content free for all players.

Keasar

This is crazy talk, Attrition is fantastic and gives the game a hunting dynamic that you don't see as much in the other modes. Stalking someone from the rooftops as they're preoccupied going to town on the bots is never not the best

And you can do that exact same thing in other modes cause you know common routes of travel and therefore can lay in ambush along those routes. Meanwhile, players can still get creative to use the entire map in order to get around and avoid those potential ambushes if they so wish. In the end, everyone will still be drawn towards these main points on the map because these are the objectives in order to also win.

My point is still that if people complain that there were so many A.I bots around, then they shouldn't have played the mode that focused so much on them.

If this has a full feature set of modes this time, a real campaign, multiplayer and other extra modes, then I'm interested. If it's multiplayer only again, I won't be buying it, like I didn't buy the first one for the same reason.

Hopefully it won't just play like COD with Mechs again too and they can really add something new.

Make the Mechs feel more unique with different size Mechs, Flying Mechs, Mechs on wheels or tracks like a Tank. More abilities and weapons per titan too.

Kawngi

I'm so excited for Ttianfall 2. I really really enjoyed the gameplay of 1 but like everyone else, stopped playing far too soon into it due to lack of content/reasons to keep playing. I'm sure they got that message loud and clear so this *should* be great

Top Bottom